Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    One of my favorite uses of the DS specifically was a thing in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    On one screen was a seal, and you had to somehow get it onto the other screen which had a map on it. The solution was to shut your DS and open it back up again, pressing the two together.

I couldn't figure it out but had to close the DS to go somewhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when that ended up being the answer.

Hotel Dusk did it first.

Another Code did it firster
    2T0N0a3.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I would like a 360 controller that was split in half and went the nunchuck route.
    steam_sig.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    I have defeated all the martial arts clubs in Slippy Dags, leaving untold scores of shattered knees in my wake

Right after, I did the mission where you hijack the van of a wedding cake thief by leaping onto it from a high-end luxury sedan

This game is p. great
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I've been slacking off in my mission to break every leg in Hong Kong.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    It felt really good to beat up a bunch of people in a fight club, walk across the docks and buy the Lamborghini analogue with my winnings.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular
    The Daily Dota
    LIVE SHOW ON MAY 15, 2013 03:00 PM

no

Join usssss
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I mean the whole point of Dota 2 is that it pretty much literally just is Dota 1 though, isn't it?

Like, they haven't even improved it on any significant level aside from visuals because it would in some fundamental way alter the balance of gameplay, at least that's the dumb reason people give me for why the UI is so huge and shitty like the game thinks I have a monitor the size of a quarter.

As someone way deep into the Dota hole, what do you think is bad about the UI? The view-area probably isn't about to get changed, so even if the HUD was made smaller, the view would be further zoomed in at the same time.
    steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Registered User regular
    I played the dota tutorial
    watched 2 minutes of match
    then alt-f4
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Dota 2 tutorial is terrible

It teaches you how to play Weird Diablo, but not Dota
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Call me jaded/cynical, but I find it hard to believe that a publisher would reject ways to make more money off of their products. It feels like Deep Silver is trying to pass the blame off onto retailers.
    Good Looking Fat Guy on
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Gamasutra has this pretty neat article up regarding choice presentation in video games. It draws ideas from a study done about sequential vs. simultaneous presentation of options, and also points out the difference between Amazon and Steam sales. Thought it was worth sharing with people.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamieMadigan/20130513/192135/A_Tale_of_Two_Talent_Trees.php
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Ceno I remember your predictions being wrong the last time, maybe give Brad some credit.

I'm just joshing around.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's not finished
    ooty.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's not finished

how do you mess up a dota tutorial
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    One of my favorite uses of the DS specifically was a thing in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    On one screen was a seal, and you had to somehow get it onto the other screen which had a map on it. The solution was to shut your DS and open it back up again, pressing the two together.

I couldn't figure it out but had to close the DS to go somewhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when that ended up being the answer.

Hotel Dusk did it first.

Another Code did it firster

Oh, right, I forgot that Trace Memory came out before Hotel Dusk.

For some reason I thought HD was the first DS game that Cing made.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Call me jaded/cynical, but I find it hard to believe that a publisher would reject ways to make more money off of their products. It feels like Deep Silver is trying to pass the blame off onto retailers.

That's because they pretty much are.

It's no secret that pre-orders have become a huge thing in the last few years. It's at the point where any retail release that doesn't have pre-order bonuses attached to it actually seems out of place.

Metro is a big release, but it's not a BIG release, so who knows if Deep Silver was pushed into offering a pre-order incentive by certain retailers? If that's the case, I can 100% support their decision to make the "extreme" difficulty the shaved off content, rather than story bits or extra weapons, or whatever. At least it's something that the devoted fans of the series would want, and would likely pre-order for anyway.

Now, if they were NOT pressured into offering a pre-order bonus in some way, then it's just shady. But it's so far from the worst thing that they, or most other big publishers, have done that it's really hard for me to get riled about it.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The Dota 2 tutorial doesn't even have towers in it.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gamasutra has this pretty neat article up regarding choice presentation in video games. It draws ideas from a study done about sequential vs. simultaneous presentation of options, and also points out the difference between Amazon and Steam sales. Thought it was worth sharing with people.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamieMadigan/20130513/192135/A_Tale_of_Two_Talent_Trees.php

That's kinda neat. I always prefer a skill tree where I can see everything, the paths to what I want, and how I can most efficiently get there.

Although, regarding Steam Sales, there is a bit of the "sequential hesitance" there, because while everything is on sale simultaneously, you're really better off waiting to see if the games you want are put up for a Daily deal at some point in the sale, because they will invariably be offered at a deeper discount than the normal sale price. So unless a game is part of a Daily Deal or a Flash Deal, you really should just wait until the final day of the sale in order to be sure you get it at the lowest possible price.
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    the dota 2 tutorial isn't actually finished

it's a work-in-progress

that's why it has that world map.
    ooty.gif
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm not sure "it's not finished" is a good excuse for the tutorial not even teaching you what the actual goal of the game is.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    As someone who just recently started playing Dota 2, I can say the tutorial is only really helpful in terms of teaching you how to click around and move your guy, which is fine.

What they need to sort out is making the recommended builds shit working properly. It reularlt bugs out and won't display for me, particularly when I am trying to practice against bots. The fact it hasn't yet displayed builds for me during practice mode makes me wonder if it designed that way and if it is, that is INCREDIBLY stupid
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I'm not sure "it's not finished" is a good excuse for the tutorial not even teaching you what the actual goal of the game is.

well technically the game is still in beta
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tef wrote: »
    As someone who just recently started playing Dota 2, I can say the tutorial is only really helpful in terms of teaching you how to click around and move your guy, which is fine.

What they need to sort out is making the recommended builds shit working properly. It reularlt bugs out and won't display for me, particularly when I am trying to practice against bots. The fact it hasn't yet displayed builds for me during practice mode makes me wonder if it designed that way and if it is, that is INCREDIBLY stupid

The only time I've had problems with the builds system at all was when I didn't realize I had to press OK for my selection to stick.
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    PSA: Metro Last Light is in RedBox
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    so in fire emblem is there an easy way to move your troops around at the start of a battle or do you have to keep deselecting and reselecting guys to make the game shuffle them around

because man i would like to just tell my troops which slots to occupy
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    I have defeated all the martial arts clubs in Slippy Dags, leaving untold scores of shattered knees in my wake

Right after, I did the mission where you hijack the van of a wedding cake thief by leaping onto it from a high-end luxury sedan

This game is p. great

Sleeping Dogs is definitely part of my Top Ten. I won't say it is the perfect game, but it is the most fun I have had in a game in a long, long time.

I continue to be terrible at the races. I do enjoy them, and I guess I could just tell myself Wei is not a good racer... The Bisai race in Central is funny and frustrating. It is funny because the little tiny Bisai cars are hilarious before anything happens, and they remind me of Mario Kart. It is frustrating because the cars are so low to the ground hitting a curb sometimes causes your car to just bounce two feet in the air and fall right back down. And those light poles, parking meters and handrails you just shear off in another car stop you dead, even a parking meter laying on the ground.
    I play games on ps3. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • The BetmanThe Betman Are you afraid of God, Booker? No. But I am afraid of you.Registered User regular
    There's either a 'map' or 'formation' button before you start a chapter, use that and you can shuffle them around
    78dZ1eI.jpg

D3: TheBetman#1189 Steam XBox Live: The Betman PSN: The Betman 3DS: 1521-2933-5072
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how Precursor Games have now launched an actual Kickstarter, to supplement their fake kickstarter? They're asking for another $1.35M. This can only end poorly.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    captaink wrote: »
    Can we talk about how Precursor Games have now launched an actual Kickstarter, to supplement their fake kickstarter? They're asking for another $1.35M. This can only end poorly.

The first one built up so much trust, after all.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
    They'd raise more money with Dennis Dyack in a dunk tank.
    and ex Silicon Knights employees get to pee a little in the tank.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

That's kinda neat. I always prefer a skill tree where I can see everything, the paths to what I want, and how I can most efficiently get there.

Although, regarding Steam Sales, there is a bit of the "sequential hesitance" there, because while everything is on sale simultaneously, you're really better off waiting to see if the games you want are put up for a Daily deal at some point in the sale, because they will invariably be offered at a deeper discount than the normal sale price. So unless a game is part of a Daily Deal or a Flash Deal, you really should just wait until the final day of the sale in order to be sure you get it at the lowest possible price.

Well, in that respect Steam is in some weird middleground, but it still seems far and away better than whatever Amazon has going.

As for video games and choice presentation, yeah, I like seeing everything at once if possible, at least within a tree. I never considered presentation meaning anything but it makes a lot of sense.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    edited May 2013
    Ceno wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

The first one built up so much trust, after all.

Haha it's "due to popular demand". Demand that has seen their not-kickstarter get about $150,000 (out of $1.5M) in a week or so.
    captaink on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular
    dennis dyack as the video game industry's deadbeat dad is one of the best images ryan has ever conjured
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
    And just before release, Nintendo will do a heelturn and shut the whole damn thing down.
    steam_sig.png
    And just before release, Nintendo will do a heelturn and shut the whole damn thing down.

If they got that far, I don't think Nintendo has that power. It's not Eternal Darkness 2. It's a 'inspired by' Eternal Darkness.
    edited May 2013
    All jesting aside, I really did like Eternal Darkness and the idea of a proper sequel does inspire the occasional heel-click.

But Dyack ran any semblance of trust and goodwill into the deep dark ground long ago, so I'd rather see someone else actually make the game. This kickstarter stuff is... well, I suppose "sketchy" will have to suffice for now.
    Ceno on
    steam_sig.png
    All jesting aside, I really did like Eternal Darkness and the idea of a proper sequel does inspire the occasional heel-click.

But Dyack ran any semblance of trust and goodwill into the deep dark ground long ago, so I'd rather see someone else actually make the game. This kickstarter stuff is... well, I suppose "sketchy" will have to suffice for now.

Exactly. The notion behind the entire project is precisely a thing that I want to happen, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna help fund it. Gimme a finished product and I'll buy it.

The thing that rubs me most about the current round of funding is that it's only really to get them through episode 1. They're planning 12 episodes, which means that even if they get their 1.5M this time around, once episode 1 is in the can, we could very well be seeing a new round of crowdfunding for the rest of the episodes, or hell, even maybe a new round for EACH episode.

Some developers have certainly earned enough cred with me to warrant that kind of faith, but I can't invest in that based on one game that I enjoyed from 10 years ago.
    It's looking like that new Thief game has a subtitle now.

4888thief_logo_onblacc8u87.jpg

Urgh.
    steam_sig.png