Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3's story is so badly written that I can't tell if they were honestly trying to go for some sort of satire and failed miserably, or wrote what is there earnestly and tried to claim it was satire after the fact.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    FarCry 3 manages to have some of the best core gameplay while simultaneously having a story so bad it makes me want to just do whatever after the tutorial cuts me loose

The only reason to progress the story at all is to get the wingsuit
    THESPOOKY on
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Analog sticks are the light

Analog stick + mouse would be ideal for FPS games, I agree

I need two analog sticks

One analog stick puts me in the same place as the Wii

Shit just doesn't feel right to me, and not even confining this to shooters, but to games like Mario Galaxy

Sometimes my direction was "off" because I'd be holding the nunchuk at a slight angle and while I thought I was pressing right, I was actually pressing right and up or something like that
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Stilts wrote: »
    Analog sticks are the light

Analog stick + mouse would be ideal for FPS games, I agree

I need two analog sticks

One analog stick puts me in the same place as the Wii

Shit just doesn't feel right to me, and not even confining this to shooters, but to games like Mario Galaxy

Sometimes my direction was "off" because I'd be holding the nunchuk at a slight angle and while I thought I was pressing right, I was actually pressing right and up or something like that

Well, I would say that mouse controls are garbage for anything that isn't a shooter or an RTS/MOBA

Wii controls are garbage for everything
    THESPOOKY on
    subzeroice.gif
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What the fuck Ranger mode in Last Light costs five dollars?
    Koch wrote:
    “Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-is-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-why-isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/
    Lalabox on
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I played Far Cry 3 with a 360 pad on PC. Is more comfortable for me.
    aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    the best description I can give of Far Cry 3's story is that the writer had some good ideas but kept procrastinating and so he just slapped it together at the last second and then bullshitted in interviews to make it seem like he didn't
    personaqn.png
    edited May 2013
    I played Far Cry 3 with a 360 pad on PC. Is more comfortable for me.

I played through the first time with a pad, and I beat it, but it was really challenging

Then on my second playthrough I tried KBAM, and was an unstoppable god of blood-soaked death, headshotting pirates from the other side of the fucking globe

Still, I think I prefer the pad for any game without a scoreboard.
    THESPOOKY on
    subzeroice.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i like analog sticks a bunch.

Controllers need more buttons as well. the new xbox should have the sega ABC XYZ set up.

"We got more buttons!" the ads will say

Alright, hear me out here. Buttons within buttons.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Controllers need more buttons as well. the new xbox should have the sega ABC XYZ set up.

I'm listening.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh god

I just watched the Usher Easter video that they talked about a few weeks back on the Bombcast

Amazing
    wRbeRNg.jpg

Four sets of two concentric pressure-sensitive buttons
    subzeroice.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular

I'm listening.

You have the typical A button, but it's modified to have a flip-open cap with another button underneath like they have in fighter jets. This inner button is used for your most powerful attack.
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    I sent in a repair request thing to Nintendo because my 3DS's headphone jack doesn't work right, you have to get the headphone thing in the EXACT SPOT to get it to work properly

hoping they can fix it because that wasn't one of the repair options and I had to just pick the closest sounding one, but wrote the real problem in a thing at the end
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular

I'm listening.

You have the typical A button, but it's modified to have a flip-open cap with another button underneath like they have in fighter jets. This inner button is used for your most powerful attack.

compare01_green.jpg

2014: year of the comically oversized specialty controller
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    hashtag

I'm listening.

i was thinking rings around a button, the outter ring would be yoru normal stuff, hitting the ring and the inner button would be something else.

seems like it would be faster.

I'm listening.

i was thinking rings around a button, the outter ring would be yoru normal stuff, hitting the ring and the inner button would be something else.

seems like it would be faster.

Funnily enough that was my original idea, but I'm hoping someday I'll be able to flip open a safety cap and push a button dramatically.
    Put an insensitive microphone in the controller

When you hit the A button or the X button, it performs its primary function

When you scream and hit the A button or X button, it performs its alternate function
    subzeroice.gif
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Aside from the analog sticks, the entire controller is a smooth surface utilizing the tech behind tactile touch screens.

Buttons rising and dropping away as needed.
    speaking of the 3DS, i wish i knew why the battery life in mine was so shit

it will only last about a day in sleep mode, that seems really short!
    kaaaa

meeeee

haaaaa

meeeee

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*presses A button*
    personaqn.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3's story had a lot of potential, but too bad it was played completely straight.
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien Registered User regular
    Speaking of controllers I just read that the Ouya's analog sticks are hot bullshit that are spotty at best.
    snasi.gif
    Speaking of controllers I just read that the Ouya's analog sticks are hot bullshit that are spotty at best.

what a shock.

So it'll be a perfect match for the types of games it supports
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    why would you even make convex sticks

even sony has seen the light and is going to use concave sticks
    personaqn.png
    Nintendo gets a pass because they have that nice inner circle you can get a grip on

although the wii u lacks the 8-directional notches of previous sticks
    personaqn.png
    I like both convex and concave

Number of times my thumb has slipped off of a DualShock analog stick in the fifteen years I've used them: 0
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    dualshock sticks are just a little too close together so when you need to push them towards each other your thumbs hit each other

PS4 is said to fix that but it still lacks the superior staggered sticks configuration

360 controller remains king
    personaqn.png
    I like both convex and concave

Number of times my thumb has slipped off of a DualShock analog stick in the fifteen years I've used them: 0

Is your secret that you don't have thumbs?
    I prefer the symmetry of the DualShock

Hate the triggers though

DualShock 2 remains my favorite controller

My thumbs have never hit each other either
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    the PS move is ergonomically perfect

please sony make some games that justify it
    personaqn.png
    edited May 2013
    Except that motion control part

And I really doubt it'll be a thing

Hopefully they just abandon it with PS4
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • AphostileAphostile Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    dualshock sticks are just a little too close together so when you need to push them towards each other your thumbs hit each other

PS4 is said to fix that but it still lacks the superior staggered sticks configuration

360 controller remains king

How the hell are you holding a controller / do you have giant hands?
    Tinychat is dead. Long live Tinychat. D3 BTag: Aphostile#1366 OKC
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What the fuck Ranger mode in Last Light costs five dollars?
    Koch wrote:
    “Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.”

pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-is-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-why-isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/

Wow, that's all kinds of fucked up. Retailers can really demand stuff like that?

Also I realised that I tend to manipulate analogue sticks at their edges rather than resting my thumb on top of it, probably because of 15 years of Dual Shockin'.
    yeah, the only way for my thumbs not to hit is to use the sticks at the edges

but having your finger right in the middle is clearly superior
    personaqn.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gundi wrote: »
    The one good thing about Far Cry 3's story is Vaas, who's only good because the VA gave a great performance and totally sold the character.

The actor has a recurring character on Orphan Black!

Everybody watch Orphan Black
    Poorochondriac on
    WIMBLIN.jpg