Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• HoukHouk Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    hey so this is as good a place as any to ask

there was a game that came out a bunch of years ago, where all it was was two 'human' models made up of a bunch of spheres, all on a white background, and you could articulate each part of the body - shoulder, elbow, pelvis, thighs, etc. to rotate them, or make them rigid or flexing, and you could try and beat the shit out of the other player - knock their heads off, break their arms off, all that

it was super and basic and simplistic and awesome. anyone know/remember what this was called?
    Toribash?

Toribash! Yes, that's it. Thank you, god that was driving me nuts
    nipplessig.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I mean the whole point of Dota 2 is that it pretty much literally just is Dota 1 though, isn't it?

Like, they haven't even improved it on any significant level aside from visuals because it would in some fundamental way alter the balance of gameplay, at least that's the dumb reason people give me for why the UI is so huge and shitty like the game thinks I have a monitor the size of a quarter.

they're actually changing it all the time, though

buffs and nerfs are frequent and new characters are always being added

The new characters are just old characters that they haven't gotten around to adding yet.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    hey so this is as good a place as any to ask

there was a game that came out a bunch of years ago, where all it was was two 'human' models made up of a bunch of spheres, all on a white background, and you could articulate each part of the body - shoulder, elbow, pelvis, thighs, etc. to rotate them, or make them rigid or flexing, and you could try and beat the shit out of the other player - knock their heads off, break their arms off, all that

it was super and basic and simplistic and awesome. anyone know/remember what this was called?
    Toribash?

Toribash! Yes, that's it. Thank you, god that was driving me nuts

For a while I thought you were talking about Ballz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnsJKfcz3Y
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »

best physics game for awhile now
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    I managed to make my guy do a cartwheel so hard he kicked the other dude's head clean off

then I quit, because how was I going to top that?
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    I mean the whole point of Dota 2 is that it pretty much literally just is Dota 1 though, isn't it?

Like, they haven't even improved it on any significant level aside from visuals because it would in some fundamental way alter the balance of gameplay, at least that's the dumb reason people give me for why the UI is so huge and shitty like the game thinks I have a monitor the size of a quarter.

they're actually changing it all the time, though

buffs and nerfs are frequent and new characters are always being added

The new characters are just old characters that they haven't gotten around to adding yet.

There are under-the-hood differences that you wouldn't notice if you hadn't played both games. Chief among them being that it runs on an engine that isn't butts.
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
  • The BetmanThe Betman Are you afraid of God, Booker? No. But I am afraid of you.Registered User regular
    woo i beat the second paralogue

...oh, i didn't get to recruit anna from that

i

i see

*sniff*

FlippingtheTable-GX02-VG.jpg

soon
    78dZ1eI.jpg

D3: TheBetman#1189 Steam XBox Live: The Betman PSN: The Betman 3DS: 1521-2933-5072
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    "from a purely mechanical perspective, it's damn near perfect"?

Brad's hyperbole hits over 9000 when GOTY deliberations start.
    there is a reason a bunch of games industry folks play it and not league

brad isn't going to talk about the people he knows who play league because he doesn't care
    Except the other GB guys have said they know lots of Game Devs that play Dota?

It seems to be pretty popular among dudes in the industry.

you cannot extrapolate "these guys play dota" with "they do not play league", nor can you imply that there is a reason that game devs prefer it

you do not have the data for that and it is game war nonsense
    I needed a name to post. on
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    like, there are a lot of legitimate complaints about dota 2 you can air

but saying "all they're doing is porting over old characters and not changing anything!" is factually incorrect
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    So if you have a Wii U, apparently the demo for Resident Evil Revelations is up

I couldn't get over playing this on a 3DS due to the controls

Curious how it'll be on an actual controller
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    regardless dota shouldn't be goty because it's dota
    dota: goty for people that hate themselves
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Welp, I went to go finish watching Unprofessional Fridays and my subscription has run out :(

Regardless of needing to put over $1000 into my car next week I renewed my yearly subscription right away. When I bought a sub last year it was one of the discount ones so I didn't get the glorious thank you audio like I did this time.
    CormacSignature.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk SWTOR: Cento/Darson
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i hate myself and i don't like dota...
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i hate myself and i don't like dota...

I think Dota causes the hate

That's what it seems, anyways
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    nonsense

i hated myself for years before i started playing dota!
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ahahaha

The Baz in Divekick
    Zay on
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    So I downloaded the Fuse, previously Overstrike, demo. It is pretty goddamn fun! Insomniac's love of crazy weapons is front and center which I always love.

The best way I can describe it is a co-op oriented Uncharted with much sharper gunplay and cover mechanics.

Give it a shot!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So I downloaded the Fuse, previously Overstrike, demo. It is pretty goddamn fun! Insomniac's love of crazy weapons is front and center which I always love.

The best way I can describe it is a co-op oriented Uncharted with much sharper gunplay and cover mechanics.

Give it a shot!

http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/fuse/#/media/videos/hired-guns

this looks neat
    I play games on ps3. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    Wait what

Fuse is third-person?

Was not aware!
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    It is!

The dude with the crossbow that fires alien modified mercury that soaks enemies and you can ignite and liquify them is the best.
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    like, there are a lot of legitimate complaints about dota 2 you can air

dota 2 lures children into its gingerbread house so it can eat them
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

What's Starcraft then?
    iG3kv1d.png
    SC2 has great single player gameplay though. hots wasn't quite as good but wings of liberty campaign was soooo good
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

What's Starcraft then?

A pretty fun single player only game that you can get through pretty quickly.
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Then again I can basically only play any RTSes single player

My brain can't handle the speed at which multiplayer RTS operates
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    I don't think anyone can

it's a game where you do not get good, you only get less bad
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    like dota 2 is going to come out this year. get real guys.
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hot damn

Metro Last Light looks fucking great

It's getting some killer reviews, too. The lowest I've found is a 7/10.
    THESPOOKY on
    subzeroice.gif
    I'm kind of worried about Last Light because it just sort of happened all of a sudden without any fanfare.

Like, I knew it was coming at some point and then now it's out and I saw virtually nothing about it in the interim.

That and the whole "studio getting sold" bit.
    camo_sig2.png
    I was skeptical about it from the jump because I thought "There's no way a game like 2033 can get a faithful sequel"

By all accounts, it lives up
    subzeroice.gif
    The RE Revelations demo is pretty rough

There has to be somehow, someway, someone will make an RE game with sensible controls
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    The RE Revelations demo is pretty rough

There has to be somehow, someway, someone will make an RE game with sensible controls

Resident Evil 4 was serviceable.
    At the time it was just enough to get by

It's really hard to go back to
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Maybe it's different for someone who got pretty far in the game in professional/play through like 8 times on normal.

Because I still really love RE4.
    Uriel on
    Also Dead Space 1 has an almost identical control scheme to RE4.
    At the time, I was amazed. I bought a Cube specifically for RE4, I was that hyped

I went through it a bunch of times, and then again when the PS2 version hit

But control in other games evolved, and Dead Space happened

When I picked up the Wii version, I was pretty put off by the controls

By the time the HD versions hit, I bought it and immediately regretted it. I just...can't play with those controls anymore
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • GundiGundi Respected Naturalist of Internet Fauna Registered User regular
    I was completely fine with how Revelations controlled on the 3DS.
    I can see you point with the wii version.

Because fuck the waggle.

My accuracy went down like 20% with that POS.