Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    why is waiting for divekick even necessary

what the hell is there to develop

tweaking balance stuff
    2wrn580.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I really like what Injustice does with interactive stages and stuff.

It's not particularly balanced but it's fun.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular

they're actually committing to character balance and variety pretty hard

plus I bet they're fighting hard to get those controllers out
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular

ridiculous hype and expectations
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

tweaking balance stuff

Also more characters

• rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    are we talking about fighting games?

This is the one all others should be judged against

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVxBm3dy0XY
    rfilyaw on
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »

tweaking balance stuff

Also more characters

Also my petition for them to use Ronnie in place of Mr N

I want to kiss you

On the lips

Right now

• AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

twerking balance stuff

I see
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    the diving

the kicking
    2T0N0a3.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Dave Lang, more like

Kazunori Yamauchi
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

really hope this game is actually well written and doesn't just rely on its subject matter to get it story street cred
    ETqXK.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    Fuck this digital only Ace Attorney crap. They charge £40 for full games on the 3DS eshop for crying out loud. For comparison, the cart of Fire Emblem (which I finally found hooray) was £30 shipped at launch. So for £30, the postal service, and the store, and everyone else all made money. But take away the physical item, and that somehow costs £10 more? I'd rather wait 5 years for a £10 iOS port than go along with that.
    yipyip3.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll admit i'm kinda worried about the fact that they're STILL adding new characters to divekick considering they want to get this out in time for Evo. Which really means a good time beforehand so people can get their hands on it, I would figure they need to release it in like a month from now and that seems like a rapidly approaching deadline considering they have to work on balance stuff still and get it to cert and all that.

And get it greenlit on steam, c'mon people.
    ThomasSig_zpsfaa2a05b.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Oh right, that Bureau trailer. I'm interested in what I saw, but the flickering effect they use in that trailer was a very poor decision.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Fuck this digital only Ace Attorney crap. They charge £40 for full games on the 3DS eshop for crying out loud. For comparison, the cart of Fire Emblem (which I finally found hooray) was £30 shipped at launch. So for £30, the postal service, and the store, and everyone else all made money. But take away the physical item, and that somehow costs £10 more? I'd rather wait 5 years for a £10 iOS port than go along with that.

Considering how Capcom talked about AA5, this was the only way they felt safe releasing it. So...waiting for an iOS port would be pointless.

Because there wouldn't be one.
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    I really like what Injustice does with interactive stages and stuff.

It's not particularly balanced but it's fun.

MK9 and Injustice than are more balanced than nearly every iteration of SF4 and SF3. Almost every character is viable in the former two games. Whereas in every game that's not SSF4, there are at least a few 8-2 matchups. Fucking Third Strike, man. Fantastic game with awesome systems and characters, but it was just not viable to play certain characters past a certain point of expertise.

They're also infinitely more entertaining than unblockable fighter 4: vortex edition 2012. Street Fighter might be king, but it's fucking boring right now.
    2dtr87s.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Considering how Capcom talked about AA5, this was the only way they felt safe releasing it. So...waiting for an iOS port would be pointless.

Which is pretty dumb, since Ace Attorney sells pretty decently worldwide. The numbers I found said that as of December 2011 the series had sold almost 4.5 million copies worldwide.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »

Which is pretty dumb, since Ace Attorney sells pretty decently worldwide. The numbers I found said that as of December 2011 the series had sold almost 4.5 million copies worldwide.

how much of that gets eaten by localizers/distribution costs though
    MK9 has like 9-1 match ups how is it more balanced than street fighter?
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    like, capcom is a business

if it was worth it to give AA5 a proper retail release then they'd be doing it
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular

The worst matchup in the game is Kabal/Sheeva and it is at worst 8-2. Hawk/Blanka is 8-2 and so is Hakan/Sim (possibly even 9-1).
    2dtr87s.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

You say this, and usually i'd agree.

But then i think about what they've done with Resident Evil and Mega Man and i'm not so sure how much faith i put in Capcom's administration teams because wow that is a bad way to leverage your brands.

But then i think about what they've done with Resident Evil and Mega Man and i'm not so sure how much faith i put in Capcom's administration teams because wow that is a bad way to leverage your brands.

sure but that's kind of a horse of a different color
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular

The worst matchup in the game is Kabal/Sheeva and it is at worst 8-2. Hawk/Blanka is 8-2 and so is Hakan/Sim (possibly even 9-1).

Stuff like this

This is why Divekick exists
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    are we talking about fighting games?

This is the one all others should be judged against

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aF-HtQ_BcU
    They've talked about bad matchups in Divekick though, certain people doing better versus other people.

Probably none so bad as Hakan / Dhalsim which is like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3Xn0HCCSQ

That is one of the best hakan versus one of the best dhalsim

But bad matchups will exist in Divekick
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'm not really sure if it is! Most of Capcom's bad decisions lately seem to come from this weird place of having no confidence that people still like their own brands despite having no evidence of this until they make big sweeping changes. They seem to have lost all faith in the people who actually make the games and it's super fucking weird. I know Ace Attorney has never been a huge seller and all, but Mega Man sure as hell was and they've all but written him off even as a quick cash in. It seems like a pattern, though i'm fully aware i could be just making it all up in my head.

I understand not taking unnecessary risks, but they seem to not even want to put out games anymore unless they already know how they could sell, and then they try so hard to make sure that everyone likes it that no one does. It all just seems sort of baffling from the outside.
    masterofmetroid on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so do you get to change who you play or like, you're stuck as one dude for the whole tournament?
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Langly wrote: »
    so do you get to change who you play or like, you're stuck as one dude for the whole tournament?

When you lose you get to change your character while the winner has to stay with the exact same one.

But most people only play one character, whereas Infiltration-the Hakan player in that video-plays three or four characters so he can play based on who he thinks you're gonna pick first round and if he loses a game go to his main character

When you lose you get to change your character while the winner has to stay with the exact same one.

But most people only play one character, whereas Infiltration-the Hakan player in that video-plays three or four characters so he can play based on who he thinks you're gonna pick first round and if he loses a game go to his main character

but you do not choose after you see what the other guy has, right, you go in blind
    PoQ0cUz.jpg

I'm not really sure if it is! Most of Capcom's bad decisions lately seem to come from this weird place of having no confidence that people still like their own brands despite having no evidence of this until they make big sweeping changes. They seem to have lost all faith in the people who actually make the games and it's super fucking weird. I know Ace Attorney has never been a huge seller and all, but Mega Man sure as hell was and they've all but written him off even as a quick cash in. It seems like a pattern, though i'm fully aware i could be just making it all up in my head.

I understand not taking unnecessary risks, but they seem to not even want to put out games anymore unless they already know how they could sell, and then they try so hard to make sure that everyone likes it that no one does. It all just seems sort of baffling from the outside.

the reason i'm saying it's different is that AA5 has already been made

they know how much it would cost to localize it and publish hard copies, and they can project how well it will sell based on the sales of the previous games, and evidently they feel that they can bear the cost of the localization but not the distribution

i guess it's possible that they're needlessly underestimating how well it would perform

but you do not choose after you see what the other guy has, right, you go in blind

You're both picking off the same character select screen usually so the other player can see who you pick (blind picks exist if you want them, though), and Infiltration does LOTS of research into top players, watches their matches and studies them etc so he knows who to pick versus people usually
    edited May 2013
    ohhh ok

edit: i thought it was a thing where you write down who you are going to pick beforehand
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    god

soul calibur II was so fucking good

r.i.p that series

You know what was better than Soul Calibur II?

Soul Calibur
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien Registered User regular
    Who is 9-2 in Bushido Blade?
    snasi.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    god

soul calibur II was so fucking good

r.i.p that series

You know what was better than Soul Calibur II?

Soul Calibur

No Talim sorry
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    ohhh ok

edit: i thought it was a thing where you write down who you are going to pick beforehand

no, but that is how a lot of tournaments in japan are run

you pick the character you choose to play at the beginning of the tournament and you can only play that character

a lot of them are also single-elimination; you lose one best of 3 set and you're out