Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    p4a is probably one of the easiest fighting games out there to just pick up and play right now, especially compared to something like street fighter 4

it has an actual tutorial that introduces you to the mechanics, each character has their own "challenge mode" that will teach you what their moves do, how to do some basic combos, stuff like that. also yes, there's the "Mash A" autocombo and everyone has a "get off me" move that you do by hitting two buttons. it's very beginner-friendly

it's not going to teach you how to play street fighter, but it's a good introduction to the niche that it occupies

Incidentally most of this is also true of BlazBlue

blazblue's tutorial is probably the best i've ever seen in a fighting game but i'd feel bad about telling someone to go buy CS:Extend when the new one is in the pipeline

didn't even realize a new one was coming soon-ish

all I know is that I picked up BlazBlue, played a match and decided I had absolutely fuck all idea what I was doing despite being pretty familiar with fighters

then I did the tutorial and challenge mode thingy for my chosen character and went back in and was pulling off some pretty impressive shit, so I was really impressed with their learning tools available there
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Psh, the Soul Caliber series ain't dead.
    Recent games have been pretty dang rad, and have essentially been refined and improved with each iteration.
    It's not like any of the games have been "Tekken 4" different, but they still manage to put some rad experimental campaigns or features in each one.

edit (I haven't played 5 though, just 2,3,4, & Broken Sword)
    Virgil_Leads_You on
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Psh, the Soul Caliber series ain't dead.
    considering the character designs i'm considering it dead
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Did SC5 even have a campaign

I want my fighters to have campaigns

If your game relies solely on arcade ladders and competitive play, that's not at all worth asking price to me
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 6/2005 - 3/20/2013Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I looked at my bank account and did the math, and I figured out I have a bit of extra money to burn.

Now do I go with the Poptart XL even though I have the funds on my eShop account for New Leaf already.
    Emerlmaster999 on
    w1KIYUJ.jpg
  • vsovevsove Registered User regular
    I had almost completely forgotten about The Bureau, but that trailer hit all the right buttons for me.

Really like the style and the vibe I got off of it. Of course, it tells me almost nothing about the actual game.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    I had almost completely forgotten about The Bureau, but that trailer hit all the right buttons for me.

Really like the style and the vibe I got off of it. Of course, it tells me almost nothing about the actual game.

there's a thirteen minute development cycle video, if you havent seen that
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Antimatter wrote: »

I have not! I'll take a gander, thanks.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    Antimatter wrote: »

I have not! I'll take a gander, thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHFjVW-dIg
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    ok that looks super rad
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    I really love the style of it but it's a squad-based tactical shooter so that's like...something I have no interest in

It's a bummer too, because the original version was supposed to be BioShock-esque

It kinda sucks that BioShock is the only BioShock game in town

Singularity was rad but it's been a while
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    Looks a lot better conceptually than any third person shooter I've seen in a while. Nifty
    system shock 2 is also a bioshock game

only the opposite actually
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    system shock 2 is still narratively superior to every bioshock game put together
    They should release it for consoles
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    system shock 2 is still narratively superior to every bioshock game put together

ehhhhh

ehhhhhhhhhhh
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

shodan and the many were way more interesting though
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'll still check it out, but I dunno the Bureau looks like kind of a mediocre third-person shooter to me, like Spec Ops

I heard the rumor that it was gonna be a $15 downloadable and now I can't shake the feeling that that's exactly what it looks like, and I think they're still putting it out on a disk for full price
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My hesitation over the Bureau is something that I entirely admit is dumb

the whole story of XCOM is that the organization was founded shortly after the discovery of aliens, that's why you've basically got fuck all when the game starts

if we've been fighting aliens since the 50's, you'd think we might have more to show for it by the time the year 1999 or whenever the new XCOM takes place rolls around
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    well, activating the xcom initiative implies that they were prepared for this eventuality
    i'm assuming the commander (the player) of enemy unknown was hired and given only "need to know" stuff and equipment because paranoia and red tape and shit
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Honestly, watching that trailer just makes me realize how much I want an X-Files'esque show set in the 60s.

I never knew I could want something so badly.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    My hesitation over the Bureau is something that I entirely admit is dumb

the whole story of XCOM is that the organization was founded shortly after the discovery of aliens, that's why you've basically got fuck all when the game starts

if we've been fighting aliens since the 50's, you'd think we might have more to show for it by the time the year 1999 or whenever the new XCOM takes place rolls around

Enemy Unknown implied that XCOM existed before the invasion, though. I strongly doubt the world's governments would see the invasion and then have time to organise the logistics that would go into it.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh thank God.

I just got to the part in Apollo Justice where you have to dust for fingerprints. And since it was the first game specifically made for the DS, it uses the microphone function to make you blow off the dust.

An I was worried for a minute, because I couldn't find the mic on the 3DS and assumed it just didn't exist.

But it turns out it's just in a totally weird location.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I strongly dislike the parts of games where you have to blow on the DS.
    Sweeney Tom on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Oh thank God.

I just got to the part in Apollo Justice where you have to dust for fingerprints. And since it was the first game specifically made for the DS, it uses the microphone function to make you blow off the dust.

An I was worried for a minute, because I couldn't find the mic on the 3DS and assumed it just didn't exist.

But it turns out it's just in a totally weird location.

I don't think there was ever a single good use of the DS's microphone
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I don't know, it was pretty fun to shout out "OBJECTION" and "HOLD IT" while playing Ace Attorney.
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    I strongly dislike the parts of games where you have to blow on the DS.

Oh man in Mario Kart DS' battle mode you actually had 5 balloons but you have to blow up the extra ones via the microphone

I did not like that all but it was so dumb funny

I'm sure there were some great uses of the microphone in WarioWare
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    it took me a while to figure out how to get rid of those leaves in the platinum underground. worst mechanic
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    One of my favorite uses of the DS specifically was a thing in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    On one screen was a seal, and you had to somehow get it onto the other screen which had a map on it. The solution was to shut your DS and open it back up again, pressing the two together.

I couldn't figure it out but had to close the DS to go somewhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when that ended up being the answer.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    One of my favorite uses of the DS specifically was a thing in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    On one screen was a seal, and you had to somehow get it onto the other screen which had a map on it. The solution was to shut your DS and open it back up again, pressing the two together.

I couldn't figure it out but had to close the DS to go somewhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when that ended up being the answer.

Hotel Dusk did it first.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I don't know, it was pretty fun to shout out "OBJECTION" and "HOLD IT" while playing Ace Attorney.

I loved doing this, but I hated that it would just read it as a button input

I would have been so much happier if it didn't play the clip of Phoenix shouting objection after you yelled, and instead just went on like you were the one objecting

I am...not verbalizing what I mean well
    YaYa on
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com

I didn't know people actually did this
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I didn't know you could do it
    edited May 2013
    Giant Bomb Hanna Barbara now includes Alex, Rorie, and Drew
    2482667-hannafinal_v2_filter.jpg
    Mr. G on
    In one of the Harvest Moons, you're supposed to yell into the mic to goad your horse, but I just blew into it. It actually worked way better
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Giant Bomb Hanna Barbara now includes Alex, Rorie, and Drew
    2482667-hannafinal_v2_filter.jpg

I see the artist moved Ryan's offending hand
    YaYa wrote: »

I loved doing this, but I hated that it would just read it as a button input

I would have been so much happier if it didn't play the clip of Phoenix shouting objection after you yelled, and instead just went on like you were the one objecting

I am...not verbalizing what I mean well

Sure you are

Same situation with the Mass Effect 3 Kinect dialogue options

You say an option, then Shepard repeats it, rather than just switching to the other person's part in the conversation
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You know if you blow into the mic on a 3ds in the menu the little rotating things spin faster.
    timspork's ghost on
    3DS Friend Code: 5472-6198-4568
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    The Daily Dota
    LIVE SHOW ON MAY 15, 2013 03:00 PM

no