Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    It's Reyn Gregor Time!
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    The problem with fighting games is that there were all these exciting ideas in the late 90's at the end of the fighting game boom and since then it's just become about pleasing Street Fighter fans.

there's still a pretty good number of fighting games out there that don't cater to street fighter fans

it's just that nobody plays them anymore : (
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    Give me that damn KoF 13 pc port so I can marvel at the woefully inept net code and sit in training mode like a true KoF fan.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Speaking of 3DS

Who wants to be Animal Crossing buddies when it comes out

I am the only person I know who owns a 3DS

I...

I think I'm gonna get this

The bundle, I mean. I really like the look of that XL.
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Random Access Memories kinda reminds me of the super-mellow back half of Discovery.

Which I love.

So much.
    achar_zpse53d43a1-1_zps5cd88fc4.jpg
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    nah is the best manakete in the series

nah is a little girl frequently forcing people to marry her

gonna go with no in this case
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    incidentally, if I am not a fighting game dude, is P4A a good game to start learning on?

I'm gonna play it anyway, but I'm wondering if I should just put it on easy and smash through or what
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    nah is the best manakete in the series

nah is a little girl frequently forcing people to marry her

gonna go with nah in this case

15Tpj.jpeg
    YaYa wrote: »
    incidentally, if I am not a fighting game dude, is P4A a good game to start learning on?

I'm gonna play it anyway, but I'm wondering if I should just put it on easy and smash through or what

It falls under the category of Anime Ass Fighting Game so I don't know if it's a great way to start, but they realize that not every who plays it plays it to play a fighting game so you can actually mash A 5 times and get a combo automatically (it is less damage than actually doing that combo but that's whatever)

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Hahahahaha

Fuck you Denis Dyack

Fuck you

"Due to overwhelming demand we've opened another avenue of funding

Even though that first avenue is a fucking barren road that everyone is avoiding"
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Huntera wrote: »

It falls under the category of Anime Ass Fighting Game so I don't know if it's a great way to start, but they realize that not every who plays it plays it to play a fighting game so you can actually mash A 5 times and get a combo automatically (it is less damage than actually doing that combo but that's whatever)

yeah I realize that there's a scrub mode, but is there anything about it that makes it hard to learn? alternatively should I just get Skullgirls?
    Speaking of 3DS

Who wants to be Animal Crossing buddies when it comes out

I am the only person I know who owns a 3DS

I...

I think I'm gonna get this

The bundle, I mean. I really like the look of that XL.
    @DanRyckert 1h
    Sending letters to the penguins in @gijeff's Animal Crossing town. Trying to turn them into annoying 9/11 truthers.

"Dear Friga - Jet fuel doesn't burn at a high enough temperature to melt steel. Think about it. - Mayor Dan from Mudlick"

I'm selling beehives to an alpaca so I can pay off a loan shark raccoon. Video games are fucking weird.

I've been wanting a reason to get an XL, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are definitely a big sell on it

I went through the closet today and grabbed together a bunch of my old TV shows on DVD that are now streaming on Netflix (so they were basically unused and worthless to me), and got a pretty surprising amount at the local game store

Had my eye on the 3DS XL but hoped to come home to find some sort of Animal Crossing bundle and I did and it looks wonderful
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Huntera wrote: »

yeah I realize that there's a scrub mode, but is there anything about it that makes it hard to learn? alternatively should I just get Skullgirls?

Length of combos could make it difficult to learn, but I think anime games are actually easier to pick up and do stuff with for the most part

@Interrobang is an Anime Fighter Expert though, I am a street fighter 4 dude.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    interrobang is an anime _____ expert
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
    I wouldn't have upgraded to the XL if not for the pink and white LE one.

stupid nintendo taking all my money
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    p4a is probably one of the easiest fighting games out there to just pick up and play right now, especially compared to something like street fighter 4

it has an actual tutorial that introduces you to the mechanics, each character has their own "challenge mode" that will teach you what their moves do, how to do some basic combos, stuff like that. also yes, there's the "Mash A" autocombo and everyone has a "get off me" move that you do by hitting two buttons. it's very beginner-friendly

it's not going to teach you how to play street fighter, but it's a good introduction to the niche that it occupies
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    p4a is probably one of the easiest fighting games out there to just pick up and play right now, especially compared to something like street fighter 4

it has an actual tutorial that introduces you to the mechanics, each character has their own "challenge mode" that will teach you what their moves do, how to do some basic combos, stuff like that. also yes, there's the "Mash A" autocombo and everyone has a "get off me" move that you do by hitting two buttons. it's very beginner-friendly

it's not going to teach you how to play street fighter, but it's a good introduction to the niche that it occupies

Incidentally most of this is also true of BlazBlue
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    skullgirls isn't an alternate choice, it's a companion piece
    Skull girls is also getting a PC release this summer so that's something you could hop on after the steam sale or something.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I have never seen Burnout 2 in action till that bombastica but yeeeeeeesssshhhh

I came into Burnout with 3 and just by watching that video it's like night and day. The only reason I got 3 on release cause it was back during the old days of the G&T chat thread where there will be a new game each month that will be talked up to high heaven as the best new thing you should have.

Anyways Burnout 3 is like my game of perfection. Gameplay, graphics, sound and fun are all so perfect in that game. Also probably the my first game where I became pretty dedicated to playing online multi everyday.

Revenge was such a disappointment and Paradise didn't click with me very well with it open structure.
    steam_sig.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    P4A is a really fun fighting game, doubly so if you are a Persona fan.
    Maddoc wrote: »

Incidentally most of this is also true of BlazBlue

blazblue's tutorial is probably the best i've ever seen in a fighting game but i'd feel bad about telling someone to go buy CS:Extend when the new one is in the pipeline
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Burnout 3 ownzzzzzzz
    2wrn580.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    Ugh anime fighters

Just play Third Strike and then marvel at how easy literally everything else is afterwards

Real answer: play Injustice. Really low execution barrier, but it forces learning fundamentals like spacing
    2dtr87s.png
    Thetheroo wrote: »

that's why I want to use it as my intro

I figure that if there's a world I'm invested in it'll be much easier for me to commit to learning it

sidenote, is every version region-locked? I'd like to get it on the PS3 but I have a US PS3, so I'm not sure if the Australian game will work or not
    don't play fighting games

I figure that if there's a world I'm invested in it'll be much easier for me to commit to learning it

sidenote, is every version region-locked? I'd like to get it on the PS3 but I have a US PS3, so I'm not sure if the Australian game will work or not

i think so, unfortunately
    the only reason i'd ever tell someone to play 3S as their first fighting game is if i hated them and wanted them to never play fighting games again

i think so, unfortunately

s'cool, 360 version for me!
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    hey interro should i play 3S
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Antimatter wrote: »
    hey interro should i play 3S

i'm not sure i know enough synonyms for the word "obtuse" to properly explain 3S to you, rach
    Just wait for Divekick, people
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    edited May 2013
    i've played some soul calibur II before i'm sure i'll be fine :rotate:
    i am half hoping i hurt someone's brain with that post
    Antimatter on
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    why is waiting for divekick even necessary

what the hell is there to develop
    xutFvZ4.gif