Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    why would you expect to pay less just because it's digital only

because people usually assume that part of the price of a product is the distribution and production of the physical material. So if you take that cost away, to make the same amount of profit, the company can charge less.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I am perfectly fine with a digital only release if it makes Capcom feel safe publishing AA games in the West.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular

It's not that I expect to pay less, it's just that in all likelihood there will never be a sale, it won't ever go down in price.

I also liked the previous Ace Attorney physical releases, I got a sweet Apollo Justice keychain from the last one. Given that 3DS purchases are tied to a singular 3DS, I just feel a little uncomfortable with the lack of a physical release.

It's a good business move, as Ace Attorney fans will buy it anyway, but I never got the impression that the series failed to perform in sales outside Japan.

Whatever, I'm extremely hype for the game anyway.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

because people usually assume that part of the price of a product is the distribution and production of the physical material. So if you take that cost away, to make the same amount of profit, the company can charge less.

i get that but that rarely happens with games, and when it does it's usually in the form of like, steam sales and the like
  • turtleantturtleant Registered User regular
    My main worry with digital only games is that there isn't a lot of incentive to lower the price, and I can't pick it up used on the cheap down the road. For Phoenix Wright thats not to big a deal, since they're pretty long games, and have decent replay value. But if I had bought some of the games I own, like almost every FPS I have, at full price I would have felt ripped off.
    steammini.php?id=turtleant&pngimg=tf2&tborder=0
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

production costs for printing would, hypothetically, raise the price

The cost of games is in development, not so much production. I could see an argument made for distribution/retailers being a larger cost, but production is really negligible.
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I can understand being a bit wary of buying Nintendo stuff digitally. It's nowhere near as robust or flexible as stuff like Steam or GOG. If your 3DS is lost or stolen, for example, your digital stuff is gone too.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Registered User regular
    Plus if it sells really well as digital, they might finally bring Miles Edgeworth 2 over that way.
    3DS Friend Code: 5472-6198-4568
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Losing all your stuff when you make the swap to a new 3DS is my biggest hurdle in upgrading to an XL

I want one so bad, but I gotta get enough money together to buy the XL first before I can sell the old one
    Plus if it sells really well as digital, they might finally bring Miles Edgeworth 2 over that way.

Yeah, at this point that's never going to happen.
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Yeah, at this point that's never going to happen.

Shhhhh. Don't ruin my fever dream.
    3DS Friend Code: 5472-6198-4568
    Also, Ace Attorney x Layton says hi.

Forgive me if I'm a little bitter about Capcom's releases.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Also, Ace Attorney x Layton says hi.

Forgive me if I'm a little bitter about Capcom's releases.

That game doesn't even have zombies in it duh
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    Oh god no is Ace Attorney x Layton not coming out in the states???

whyyy cappcoooomm
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    Miles Edgeworth 2 can go to the same place that the feudal Yakuza game is

That boneyard of untranslated games that only a smidgeon of people truly care about
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

That boneyard of untranslated games that only a smidgeon of people truly care about

Fuck you for being so right.

I want Yakuza Kenzan so much.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    I still want Super Control Mecha MG
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    i'm not even looking at how the offspring work it's just a matter of maribelle gives a bunch of magical bonuses that donny can't do anything with and donny gives a luck bonus and if maribelle's involved in combat then i fucked up

If you're referring to pair up bonuses the difference between an S and A rank isn't huge, but you aren't likely to want Maribelle paired up anyway since most of the time she hangs out nowhere near the fight and uses Physic or Rescue.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

Fuck you for being so right.

I want Yakuza Kenzan so much.

I have come to peace with the fact that I will never play it

It took some time
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    They still haven't commented on pw x Layton I thought

Besides isn't level 5 the publisher on that
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    So, is this Iceland show 4PM EST or PST?
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So, is this Iceland show 4PM EST or PST?

Times on the website are always adjusted to be your personal local time
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    So Jeff played some Marvel Heroes on the Friday show...

Looks like Ultimate Alliance, only monetized to hell.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

It's more Diablo really.

I haven't played the beta, but the money stuff didn't seem too bad then. I know they've been changing it though. They went through a real dumb phase where you couldn't just up and buy the character you wanted unless you pre-ordered, but I think they changed their minds.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Hey, @Antimatter

Random Access Memories leaked, opinions?

I'm really digging it so far.
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    well there's a legal stream on itunes and I think it's pretty darn good

you can hear both the 70s/80s influence and their progression from the Tron Legacy soundtrack
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    so does donny eventually become like insanely good or something

because i can't ever level him up at all because the second he's exposed he gets killed

no, that's how donnel works. he sucks immensely early on and his growths don't matter because everyone wrecks later on. it's much easier to not use him.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

It's more Diablo really.

I haven't played the beta, but the money stuff didn't seem too bad then. I know they've been changing it though. They went through a real dumb phase where you couldn't just up and buy the character you wanted unless you pre-ordered, but I think they changed their minds.

I played the beta most of Sunday. It's basically a Diablo that takes itself less seriously. Fight way more enemies at once, and use your abilities constantly instead of waiting for cooldowns. You can also switch between characters mid-mission. It's a pretty good time!

The monetization doesn't seem so bad? I don't know what the real money to game currency translation is, but in the beta they gave you 2000 G and I bought two characters (plus the starter guy). And costumes are craftable if you don't want to buy them.

There seems to be a TON there for a free to play diablo clone.
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    I think Marvel Heroes has got me. Played a bit of it with @Moriveth and it's actually pretty good!
  • turtleantturtleant Registered User regular
    Shit, Random Access Memories leaked? Now I get to play the self control game for the next 8 days.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have itunes.
    steammini.php?id=turtleant&pngimg=tf2&tborder=0
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    wish they'd launch a mac beta for marvel heroes

really don't wanna switch over to bootcamp
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    wish they'd launch a mac beta for marvel heroes

really don't wanna switch over to bootcamp

Betas over but its out in three weeks.

It's more Diablo really.

I played the beta most of Sunday. It's basically a Diablo that takes itself less seriously. Fight way more enemies at once, and use your abilities constantly instead of waiting for cooldowns. You can also switch between characters mid-mission. It's a pretty good time!

The monetization doesn't seem so bad? I don't know what the real money to game currency translation is, but in the beta they gave you 2000 G and I bought two characters (plus the starter guy). And costumes are craftable if you don't want to buy them.

I hope so... I'm just going by the Founder Packs that they're selling, which seem... overpriced.

The single-character packs are $20, and the 4-character packs are $60 (some of which are just one character, but more bonus costumes to compensate), with $200 netting you all the launch characters and costumes. Granted, each of those packs come with a small amount of in-game currency, but they've not said anything of what items, characters, or costumes will cost if you buy them in-game, so it's pretty impossible for me to guess if that's worthwhile.

I dunno, I hope it's worthwhile, I'm not even opposed to paying to unlock certain things, but those prices are supposedly "discounted" for pre-ordering, and they still seem expensive, so...

If they're charging that much to unlock things, I would be skeptical that actually earning them for free by playing the game would be a realistic endeavor for a casual player.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There was a primetime 1min commercial here for Random Access Memories.

I have never seen that happen for an album.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK

It's more Diablo really.

I hope so... I'm just going by the Founder Packs that they're selling, which seem... overpriced.

The single-character packs are $20, and the 4-character packs are $60 (some of which are just one character, but more bonus costumes to compensate), with $200 netting you all the launch characters and costumes. Granted, each of those packs come with a small amount of in-game currency, but they've not said anything of what items, characters, or costumes will cost if you buy them in-game, so it's pretty impossible for me to guess if that's worthwhile.

I dunno, I hope it's worthwhile, I'm not even opposed to paying to unlock certain things, but those prices are supposedly "discounted" for pre-ordering, and they still seem expensive, so...

If they're charging that much to unlock things, I would be skeptical that actually earning them for free by playing the game would be a realistic endeavor for a casual player.

Those packs are often over-priced on this kind of thing though, its them trying to hedge their bets in case the whole thing explodes.

I would wait until we get a real money to G ratio before I worry.

For me I'd probably spend about 20 on it to get going. If its more than that I'm probably out.

It's more Diablo really.

Those packs are often over-priced on this kind of thing though, its them trying to hedge their bets in case the whole thing explodes.

For me I'd probably spend about 20 on it to get going. If its more than that I'm probably out.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'd be willing to pay $20-30 to unlock certain things if the game is good. But if that $20 gets me two characters and/or a couple costumes? No thanks. I'll just rope my friends into playing UA2 with me again.

(this is all also going with my gut feeling that most of the locked characters are going to take either considerable luck or considerable farming time to access for free)

I mean, it's free, so I'll probably at least give it a shot. But the starting character choice of Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Storm, Daredevil and Thing isn't the most enticing roster for me.

Is it playable with a controller? Or is it KBaM only?

It's more Diablo really.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'd be willing to pay $20-30 to unlock certain things if the game is good. But if that $20 gets me two characters and/or a couple costumes? No thanks. I'll just rope my friends into playing UA2 with me again.

(this is all also going with my gut feeling that most of the locked characters are going to take either considerable luck or considerable farming time to access for free)

I mean, it's free, so I'll probably at least give it a shot. But the starting character choice of Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Storm, Daredevil and Thing isn't the most enticing roster for me.

Is it playable with a controller? Or is it KBaM only?

I didn't try it with the controller, but it would probably work so maybe its in there.

Whered you get that starter roster? because it's not what I had to chose from
  • 411Randle411Randle Don't touch Lola. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had real fun with the beta (which isn't over, btw, they extended it to Tuesday because of the downtime on Saturday night), but I'm going to wait and see about the feasibility of unlocking characters through play instead of pay before I get too excited. Which is hard, because Marvel + Diablo is pretty much an addiction waiting to happen for me.

It does seem a little easy though...or it did until the Chapter 2 boss fight.
    lola_zps27e6945e.jpg