Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    So Jeff played some Marvel Heroes on the Friday show...

Looks like Ultimate Alliance, only monetized to hell.

It's more Diablo really.

I haven't played the beta, but the money stuff didn't seem too bad then. I know they've been changing it though. They went through a real dumb phase where you couldn't just up and buy the character you wanted unless you pre-ordered, but I think they changed their minds.

I played the beta most of Sunday. It's basically a Diablo that takes itself less seriously. Fight way more enemies at once, and use your abilities constantly instead of waiting for cooldowns. You can also switch between characters mid-mission. It's a pretty good time!

The monetization doesn't seem so bad? I don't know what the real money to game currency translation is, but in the beta they gave you 2000 G and I bought two characters (plus the starter guy). And costumes are craftable if you don't want to buy them.

There seems to be a TON there for a free to play diablo clone.

I hope so... I'm just going by the Founder Packs that they're selling, which seem... overpriced.

The single-character packs are $20, and the 4-character packs are $60 (some of which are just one character, but more bonus costumes to compensate), with $200 netting you all the launch characters and costumes. Granted, each of those packs come with a small amount of in-game currency, but they've not said anything of what items, characters, or costumes will cost if you buy them in-game, so it's pretty impossible for me to guess if that's worthwhile.

I dunno, I hope it's worthwhile, I'm not even opposed to paying to unlock certain things, but those prices are supposedly "discounted" for pre-ordering, and they still seem expensive, so...

If they're charging that much to unlock things, I would be skeptical that actually earning them for free by playing the game would be a realistic endeavor for a casual player.

Those packs are often over-priced on this kind of thing though, its them trying to hedge their bets in case the whole thing explodes.

I would wait until we get a real money to G ratio before I worry.

For me I'd probably spend about 20 on it to get going. If its more than that I'm probably out.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'd be willing to pay $20-30 to unlock certain things if the game is good. But if that $20 gets me two characters and/or a couple costumes? No thanks. I'll just rope my friends into playing UA2 with me again.

(this is all also going with my gut feeling that most of the locked characters are going to take either considerable luck or considerable farming time to access for free)

I mean, it's free, so I'll probably at least give it a shot. But the starting character choice of Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Storm, Daredevil and Thing isn't the most enticing roster for me.

Is it playable with a controller? Or is it KBaM only?

I didn't try it with the controller, but it would probably work so maybe its in there.

Whered you get that starter roster? because it's not what I had to chose from

No built in controller support. I don't think it would be easy to hack in given that it's click to move.

They changed the starting characters to the Avengers for Iron Man weekend. It should be Scarlet Witch, etc. on launch day.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    i still can't get over the line "I'm more comfortable with a gun than a bra"
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Cry of Fear QL was pretty golden.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    I'm two tracks deep into the Daft Punk stream

it is

really good

a friend of mine posited that Daft Punk may be leading a disco rebellion and I think he may be right
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    YaYa wrote: »

it is

really good

a friend of mine posited that Daft Punk may be leading a disco rebellion and I think he may be right

there's no may about it
    they specifically called out Skrillex when talking about how stagnant electronic dance music is
    Antimatter on
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Antimatter wrote: »

it is

really good

there's no may about it
    they specifically called out Skrillex when talking about how stagnant electronic dance music is

Anti you should go make a thread

wait are you still jailed, I can't see on my phone
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    of course i'm jailed

i am a menace to society, public enemy number six
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    People have called out after Get Lucky came out to get ready, every pop song is about to sound just like that for the next 2 or 3 years
    Mr. G wrote: »
    People have called out after Get Lucky came out to get ready, every pop song is about to sound just like that for the next 2 or 3 years

good
  • HoukHouk Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

it is

really good

there's no may about it

i didn't even know Skrillex/that kind of music was considered dance music

it's very hard for me to imagine anyone actually dancing to that stuff
    nipplessig.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dubstep is like my brown noise. I don't want to be on the dance floor when that thing drops.
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
    it's surprising how poppy this album sounds! I know they were getting away from hard electronica and dance music, but this honestly sounds like Daft Punk recorded a pop album with a bunch of 70s guitars. real traditional verse-chorus stuff

oh shit, Lose Yourself to Dance is so fucking good
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular

I would be okay with this.
    edited May 2013
    YaYa wrote:
    but this honestly sounds like Daft Punk recorded a pop album with a bunch of 70s guitars.
    The album incorporates a variety of accompanying performances including a horn section, woodwind instruments, a string orchestra and choir.
    Use of electronics was limited to drum machines that appear on only two tracks, a large custom-built Modcan modular synthesizer performed live by the duo, and vintage vocoders.The duo ultimately produced the album without the use of computers, as they felt that the presets and parameters of digital tools would inhibit creativity and innovation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories#Composition
    so yeah
    Antimatter on
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    eShop prices for full retail games are typically full RRP here which means PW5 might be as much $70 when it comes out. I'm hoping it's not, but we'll see.

Fire Emblem: I really wish these games would get away from "Young girl that can transform into a dragon, b-but she's actually 1000 years old so it's not creepy!"

In better news I've got both a second and master seal, although it appears that since Sacred Stones, Generals lost the ability to use swords (fair enough, they were super powerful then) so I'll probably make my avatar a Hero.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    eShop prices for full retail games are typically full RRP here which means PW5 might be as much $70 when it comes out. I'm hoping it's not, but we'll see.

Fire Emblem: I really wish these games would get away from "Young girl that can transform into a dragon, b-but she's actually 1000 years old so it's not creepy!"

In better news I've got both a second and master seal, although it appears that since Sacred Stones, Generals lost the ability to use swords (fair enough, they were super powerful then) so I'll probably make my avatar a Hero.

That seems...highly unlikely.

I mean, Luigi's Mansion is only $40.

Or do you not live in the US?
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

That seems...highly unlikely.

I mean, Luigi's Mansion is only $40.

Or do you not live in the US?

straya, mate
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    but this honestly sounds like Daft Punk recorded a pop album with a bunch of 70s guitars.
    The album incorporates a variety of accompanying performances including a horn section, woodwind instruments, a string orchestra and choir.
    Use of electronics was limited to drum machines that appear on only two tracks, a large custom-built Modcan modular synthesizer performed live by the duo, and vintage vocoders.The duo ultimately produced the album without the use of computers, as they felt that the presets and parameters of digital tools would inhibit creativity and innovation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories#Composition
    so yeah

This is a wildly unfair comparison

But this reminds me a little of the Beatles evolving and doing really weird and different shit, rather than doing the same thing that originally got them famous forever and ever

It's good to see Daft Punk aren't content to just be the thing that they are right now forever, or trying to capitalize on the current popularity of electronica or dubstep or anything
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular

The new one is actually the only one that does this

The only game that really sort of comes close would be Sacred Stones with Myrrh, because she looked and acted like a young girl, but she didn't baby-make and she didn't wear a chain mail bikin

Ancient Dragon People seem to be pretty common in the series but they're usually portrayed as looking at least as old as the main characters (mid/late teens, because everybody in japan saves the world before 20)
    This is a wildly unfair comparison
    to the beatles, maybe
    i jest, but i do think it's somewhat apt, but we'll see in the future!
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

The only game that really sort of comes close would be Sacred Stones with Myrrh, because she looked and acted like a young girl, but she didn't baby-make and she didn't wear a chain mail bikin

Ancient Dragon People seem to be pretty common in the series but they're usually portrayed as looking at least as old as the main characters (mid/late teens, because everybody in japan saves the world before 20)

It's strange that they didn't make Tiki the main dragon recruit you get.

Or at least design Nowi similarly, so she looks like she's at least 25.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Speaking of 3DS

Who wants to be Animal Crossing buddies when it comes out

I am the only person I know who owns a 3DS
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular

Oh ok, Sacred Stones is the only other game I've played so I must be mistaken about Myrrh. When I said 'get away from' I wasn't implying that every game had it though (since I haven't played them all), it's just a thing I want no game to have.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    there is fazilla too but she just wears a normal dress

250px-Fa.jpg
    Poor Kellam (when his partner gets the kill) "Another spotlight stolen :cry: "
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Speaking of 3DS

Who wants to be Animal Crossing buddies when it comes out

I am the only person I know who owns a 3DS

heck yeah
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • No Great NameNo Great Name Registered User regular
    Why can't brad be into something good, like fighting games, instead of dota.
    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons

Oh ok, Sacred Stones is the only other game I've played so I must be mistaken about Myrrh. When I said 'get away from' I wasn't implying that every game had it though (since I haven't played them all), it's just a thing I want no game to have.

Yeah I totally agree, if it could basically stop being a thing in all media that would be great

I just really like fire emblem games and so I want to make sure nobody thinks that whatever the hell is going on with Nowi is somehow the norm

Cause it is terrible
    Why can't brad be into something good, like fighting games, instead of dota.

if it was something like fighting games then we wouldn't have to worry about him ODing (OverDotaing) and dying

the suspense!
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    because jeff is the fighting games guy.

they don't need two.
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    nah is the best manakete in the series
    2wrn580.png
  • ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    i hope brad keeps referencing dota
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I sure hope Nintendo gets that account system soon, I'd like to stop worrying about tying games to hardware
    DC Comics The New 52 Proudly Presents: Dota The Family
    15Tpj.jpeg

Yeah I totally agree, if it could basically stop being a thing in all media that would be great

I just really like fire emblem games and so I want to make sure nobody thinks that whatever the hell is going on with Nowi is somehow the norm

Cause it is terrible

Understandable.
    Fuck, I was so close to recruiting Libra and an enemy gets a 5% chance to crit.
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien Registered User regular
    The problem with fighting games is that there were all these exciting ideas in the late 90's at the end of the fighting game boom and since then it's just become about pleasing Street Fighter fans.
    snasi.gif
    The problem with fighting games is that there were all these exciting ideas in the late 90's at the end of the fighting game boom and since then it's just become about pleasing Street Fighter fans.

Dive

Kick
  • HunteraHuntera Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    because jeff is the fighting games guy.

they don't need two.

Actually two would be better than one because then competition would drive them to continually get better versus each other when the other gets better?

that's a theory I have developed after playing almost solely 3 or 4 people in street fighter and devoting little time to practicing but still getting better.
    edited May 2013
    looks really dumb

also I seem to remember a video in which one of the makers of dive kick was saying that the "dive" part of the dive kick was the actual jump into the air

which would be really stupid
    Kwoaru on