Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah, using dead space's controls would work well.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What the fuck Ranger mode in Last Light costs five dollars?
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I can see you point with the wii version.

Because fuck the waggle.

My accuracy went down like 20% with that POS.

I used the GameCube controller!

I wasn't about to deal with that pointer shit
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I can see you point with the wii version.

Because fuck the waggle.

My accuracy went down like 20% with that POS.

I used the GameCube controller!

I wasn't about to deal with that pointer shit

I had lost my gamecube controller by that time.

What a shame, the Cube Controller was neato.
    Short of being able to move and shoot at the same time there is almost no difference between Dead Space 1 and RE4 as far as controls go.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    you people are all insane

the wiimote is the best control scheme for shooters
    personaqn.png
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

if you're playing on console, sure

the mouse is nice but the keyboard is shit

wiimote + nunchuck is the best of both worlds

actually the move is even better but that is like a billion dollars and has no games
    personaqn.png

No not even then.

The thing is it's shaped like a little fucking wand and it's not very ergonomic for aiming. Especially when you have to have the nunchuck attached too, because you can't brace the wiimote in a sort of weaver stance.
    I am a crazy person though and sometimes play shooters on PC with a Xbox pad.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
    Maddoc wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Fuck remembering all those keybindings for some of those games though when they are often way more streamlined on the pad.

Fucking sometines USE is F?

FUCK YOU.
    What kind of monster binds Use to the f key huh?

Hitler that is who.

Literally Hitler.

no, not even then. the wiimote has no real dead zone, movement isn't that great, though motionplus helps, and it has like 4 buttons that are easy to use, tops.

That's not very good at all!
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I don't know why, but playing Metroid Prime 3 for more than half an hour made my wrist really hurt.

Playing a shooter with the wiimote was just awful.

I'll concede that it's the best RE4 control scheme, though.
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
    I guess when it comes to controllers everyone is a little bit crazy in their own way.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Fuse seems like it would be fun if I were into that sort of game

Pretty cool that it's third-person, I just assumed first-person this whole time, probably because of Resistance (ugh)
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    youfuckingpeople.avi
    personaqn.png
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    sometimes video games just happen when you least expect it
    I would actually rather have everyone here punch me in the balls than play Metroid Prime 3 again and be subjected to its godawful controls
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    I played Sniper elite with a mouse though.

That game was something.

Still though, I have some stern words for the guy in charge of the keybinds...
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    KBAM is the best control scheme for twitchy shooters

If it's something more relaxed like Bioshock or stealth-focused like Dishonored I prefer a pad for the ability to move at different speeds alone

The day someone hands me a keyboard with pressure-sensitive WASD keys, I will reach shooter apotheosis
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

If it's something more relaxed like Bioshock or stealth-focused like Dishonored I prefer a pad for the ability to move at different speeds alone

The day someone hands me a keyboard with pressure-sensitive WASD keys, I will reach shooter apotheosis

I just got a little hard.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

Is why I want one of these.

Best of both worlds baby.
  • GundiGundi Respected Naturalist of Internet Fauna Registered User regular
    I would actually rather have everyone here punch me in the balls than play Metroid Prime 3 again and be subjected to its godawful controls

What. What. What.

Metroid Prime 3 was the game that proved that shooter controls with the Wii's motion sensing technology could work. Hell, they ended up making the wii ports of Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 a bit on the easy side in the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection. The only thing that annoyed me the game was I believe the grapple beam was a little finicky.
    Fuse seems like it would be fun if I were into that sort of game

Pretty cool that it's third-person, I just assumed first-person this whole time, probably because of Resistance (ugh)

I feel like this post comes off as dismissive though I don't mean it to

If four-player action games are your thing, maybe give the Fuse demo a try

I also like the look and feel of the game, and being able to switch between all four characters on the fly when playing solo is a nice touch

And yeah, the weapons are neat

Basically it seems pretty cool and not at all lame (like Resistance)
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    I've always wanted to try one of those out

The price tag is a bit too steep for something I'm not totally convinced I'd even enjoy using though
    camo_sig2.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

I just got a little hard.

Now imagine that you can toggle the pressure sensitivity on and off for typing

Welcome to bonertown
    subzeroice.gif
    Yeah it's really sad the thing is so expensive.

Shit it costs more than my Saitek X52 did.
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Well, I just finally finished Far Cry 3. Before I go into ending spoilers, I really loved that game and a lot of what it did. I put 42 hours into it and I'm thinking of still going back and finishing the hunting missions.

With that (very ending spoilers);
    What the fuck was that ending? I did the Save Your Friends option because I'm not a monster and was completely grossed out by the reaction of Citra. Until I watched the Join Citra ending on YouTube. Without that context (and that context still isn't great, mind you), Citra is an awfully written character that has no purpose besides, "Jason, I love you because you're just so beefy and strong." Despite being a leader of people she plays like the Crazy Emotional Girl going nuts over the boy. Which is preeeeeeetty gross.

Also, she is going to be super pissed when she finds out she didn't get pregnant the first try.

aqMzB.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Gamertag: Car1gt // Facebook // Twitter
    WHY DON'T WE JUST GO AHEAD AND KILL ANALOG STICKS, HUH

WHY DOESN'T HALO LET YOU MOVE WITH THE D PAD
    personaqn.png
    Analog sticks are the light
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Though I really want a new flight stick system too...
  • GundiGundi Respected Naturalist of Internet Fauna Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3's story in general reeks of wasted potential.

Also in case I haven't made my thoughts clear while I agree a mouse and keyboard still probably the best most easily intuitive way to play shooters, I would put the wii controller is my second favorite way to play shooters. Like, the Wii didn't have many multiplayer shooters but the few it did have I played the hell out of the multiplayer component and loved the controls.
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm looking at that thing wrong, but how could you possibly use that for typing?

Analog stick + mouse would be ideal for FPS games, I agree, but it's not something that's easily (or cheaply) accomplished.

So I use KBAM for games where precision and/or twitch aiming is the highest priority and my Xbox controller for everything else.
    WHY DON'T WE JUST GO AHEAD AND KILL ANALOG STICKS, HUH

WHY DOESN'T HALO LET YOU MOVE WITH THE D PAD

Well, for starters, all Microsoft D-pads have been awful

And also because the pace of the gameplay doesn't fit it

Ever play the original Medal of Honor, or Underground, back on the PS1? Before Halo controls were a thing?

They worked pretty well with the D-pad, but they were also pretty deliberately-paced games, even when things got hairy
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    i like analog sticks a bunch.

Controllers need more buttons as well. the new xbox should have the sega ABC XYZ set up.

"We got more buttons!" the ads will say
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Maybe I'm looking at that thing wrong, but how could you possibly use that for typing?

You don't?

it's in addition you your other peripherals.
    Stilts wrote: »

Analog stick + mouse would be ideal for FPS games, I agree, but it's not something that's easily (or cheaply) accomplished.

So I use KBAM for games where precision and/or twitch aiming is the highest priority and my Xbox controller for everything else.

Give me the left half a Wiimote with a spine of buttons along the inner side to access with your non-thumbs
    subzeroice.gif