Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    who cares about people, this is money we're talking about here

Getting people to give you money with a lie is still stealing, no matter how good the cause.
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    there's definitely a farce here but it ain't me
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I mean, the indiegogo thing was shut down like a month ago, and the dude could have revealed that was a lie without outing her, and he's trying to claim he did it for her own good.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    call the cops if you're interested in actual justice, I guess?

yes because the police have always proven to be staunch supporters of the rights of transpeople XrG6oNJ.gif
    so what do you suggest, then

should she be allowed to take people's money under false pretenses?

Maybe?

If she was raising money for surgery, and I donated money to her efforts, and then later found out her story, and what the surgery was actually for, I probably wouldn't be too put off by it.

Given her suicide attempt, I'm guessing that the SRS is pretty important to her well-being.
    Okay, but now understand the standard you are setting for all indiegogo campaigns

If the standard is "raising money for something to improve the quality of life for someone who is alienated and suicidal" then yes, I understand and I still don't care.

She didn't raise money under the pretense of surgery, with the actual intention of spending that money on relocating to France.

She was raising money for surgery, and she lied about the nature of that surgery because people are fucking insane about LGBT rights and she was obviously not in the mental or emotional state to be public about her situation. I legitimately could not give less of a shit whether she was being truthful about the exact type of surgery she was seeking.
    And I agree with you in this case. But if this had gone through, wthen some guy comes along and defrauds people to get a new car or something, and it is going to completely undermine the potential for something like this to happen again, and will probably call in to question similar campaigns as legitimate to begin with.

Which totally sucks!
    2wrn580.png
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I mean, the indiegogo thing was shut down like a month ago, and the dude could have revealed that was a lie without outing her, and he's trying to claim he did it for her own good.

Yeah, nobody is debating this, let's make that clear
    2wrn580.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    what difference does it really make if it was srs over shrapnel removal

it's not like she's using the money to buy a yacht

it was framed as a life-saving surgery and if it was important enough that she attempted suicide over it then yeah that counts as life-saving

Because, while most people would probably have donated anyway

I strongly doubt this

Fine, doesn't actually matter to my point. But this argument isn't going anywhere, both sides have made their views pretty clear
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

No one is arguing on the reporter's behalf
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Antimatter wrote: »
    results are results, and it'd be up to the donator to decide what to do with their money even with a risk that what their money is spent on might not be what they were told would be done with it.

she has my pity and my sympathies.
    I think she has everyone's sympathies

I think you would be really surprised

In this thread, I meant
    2wrn580.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular

The one thing everybody here agrees on is Allistair is a completely horrible asshole. That isn't the issue here.
  • SwissLionSwissLion KILLING THROWS Miami, FloridaRegistered User regular
    This doesn't really change anything about Indiegogo except perceptions? This isn't someone getting away with something and then people realising they can too.

The impact to the site is minimal, she didn't get any money, and I think there are some quirks to this particular site but I'm pretty sure people can get their money back?

I really don't think the discussion here should be "But what about indiegogo!?"
    9IRsl.png
    morality is not absolute. she withheld truth and actively told a falsehood because she didnt have any other options available to her knowledge. whether she actually had any or not, we probably wont know.

honestly, i dont have too much trouble with her taking money from people who wouldnt have supported any trans beneficial activity at all.

Anti, I really don't wanna misinterpret this so could you please clarify a point?

If someone had another health issue they needed treatment for that might have a social stigma (aids when it first came around, for example), would it also be ok to lie to people to get money from them?
  • David_TDavid_T Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Giant Bomb guys are bad at games intentionally, because watching Patrick play Prison Architect poorly is really making me itchy to play it myself.

*reads the last two pages*

Err... never mind.
    steam_sig.png
    occasionallywearsahat.com, my rambly ramblings of ramble
    SwissLion wrote: »
    This doesn't really change anything about Indiegogo except perceptions? This isn't someone getting away with something and then people realising they can too.

The impact to the site is minimal, she didn't get any money, and I think there are some quirks to this particular site but I'm pretty sure people can get their money back?

I did not know that about Indiegogo!
    2wrn580.png
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular

yes because the police have always proven to be staunch supporters of the rights of transpeople XrG6oNJ.gif

Maybe?

If she was raising money for surgery, and I donated money to her efforts, and then later found out her story, and what the surgery was actually for, I probably wouldn't be too put off by it.

Given her suicide attempt, I'm guessing that the SRS is pretty important to her well-being.
    Okay, but now understand the standard you are setting for all indiegogo campaigns

If the standard is "raising money for something to improve the quality of life for someone who is alienated and suicidal" then yes, I understand and I still don't care.

She didn't raise money under the pretense of surgery, with the actual intention of spending that money on relocating to France.

She was raising money for surgery, and she lied about the nature of that surgery because people are fucking insane about LGBT rights and she was obviously not in the mental or emotional state to be public about her situation. I legitimately could not give less of a shit whether she was being truthful about the exact type of surgery she was seeking.
    And I agree with you in this case. But if this had gone through, wthen some guy comes along and defrauds people to get a new car or something, and it is going to completely undermine the potential for something like this to happen again, and will probably call in to question similar campaigns as legitimate to begin with.

Which totally sucks!

You're right. But the fact that there are so many exceptions and exclusions and generally terrible circumstances when someone is living their life as LGBT, either in secret or out, means that in situations like these, I am more than willing to make my own exception.

I know that the law doesn't agree with me, and I know that there are people who would have sought to have Sagal prosecuted for her actions if her plan had succeeded and the truth ever came to light. But I still can't look at a situation like this and say "well, it was illegal, so fuck it."

Maybe?

Which totally sucks!

You're right. But the fact that there are so many exceptions and exclusions and generally terrible circumstances when someone is living their life as LGBT, either in secret or out, means that in situations like these, I am more than willing to make my own exception.

I know that the law doesn't agree with me, and I know that there are people who would have sought to have Sagal prosecuted for her actions if her plan had succeeded and the truth ever came to light. But I still can't look at a situation like this and say "well, it was illegal, so fuck it."

And I totally respect this but cannot agree with it.
    2wrn580.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    morality is not absolute. she withheld truth and actively told a falsehood because she didnt have any other options available to her knowledge. whether she actually had any or not, we probably wont know.

honestly, i dont have too much trouble with her taking money from people who wouldnt have supported any trans beneficial activity at all.

So crime is okay if they hold opinions different from yours?
    beaversig2.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Registered User regular
    Hopefully she'll be able to put up an honest indiegogo when she recovers. Maybe run a dunk tank with Allistair too.
    50 bucks and you can put something in the tank
    500 bucks and you can lock the lid
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    furthermore Valjean deserved his prison sentence
    personaqn.png
    yeah, i wouldnt have much of a problem with that either. i'd feel sorry for the people in that situation that they thought that they had no other option.

Did you know that Isaac Asimov died of aids because of a blood transfusion gone wrong, and his widow only revealed that after his death because if the stigma?

Ok thank you. I don't agree with you, but I respect your opinion, just wanted to clarify.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I get that nobody's defending the journalist, it's just that people jumped so much harder on the indiegogo thing when that seems like so much less of an issue to me. Lying and trying (and failing) to get money from people, versus potentially risking someone's life.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

Well it's lucky that you aren't in charge of the legal system

I don't think that's lucky at all
    xutFvZ4.gif
    Adding "Asimov" to my list of terms Geth will track.

I'm hoping to one day make the post that will make Geth fall in love with me.
    9IRsl.png
    Geth is too tsundere to ever acknowledge its love for you
    2wrn580.png
    SEE?!
    2wrn580.png
    SwissLion wrote: »

I did not know that about Indiegogo!

Looking at their information pages, they have different kinds of campaigns. Without knowing what kind she was using, this basically just tells me they have some sort of mechanic in place for returning money or preventing it from being taken in the first place.
    9IRsl.png