Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    This Prison Architect game looks awesome.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Well I actually thought so much about a videogame that it kept me from sleeping. I thought those days were behind me.

I am asshole tired now.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    58 minutes into the Prison Architect Quick Look, where Patrick jokingly (?) yells at Vinny. Awesome.

I love the what I've listened to of the Bombcast so far. I love Giant Bomb speculation because it usually is so wrong, but it's fun. Hell, I love console speculation in general, for some reason.
    steam_sig.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    would this be an appropriate place to talk about Chloe Sagal and Allistair Pinsof

cause video game journalism just fucked up for real
    personaqn.png
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    What's that?
    Welp, Prison Architect went onto my Steam wishlist. Looks like chaotic fun.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That was the destructoid thing right? Shit was pretty fucked up.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    with a cursory look through google it seems Indie game dev Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on twitch. there are a bunch of reddit posts about it.

Not sure who Allistair Pinsof is?
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So how the heck do I use Healy packs in Metal Gear Rising

Because this game is really bad about telling you stuff
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
    Chloe Sagal is an indie game developer who started an indiegogo fund for a surgery to deal with metal poisoning last month

she successfully funded it but then indiegogo removed it for reasons unknown

two days ago she livestreamed a suicide attempt and is currently in the hospital

then Allistair Pinsof of Destructoid revealed against her will that she is trans and the surgery was related to that rather than metal poisoning
    personaqn.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    oh my god
    fuck the internet
    steam_sig.png
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Uriel wrote: »
    with a cursory look through google it seems Indie game dev Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on twitch. there are a bunch of reddit posts about it.

Not sure who Allistair Pinsof is?

He's a writer for Destructoid. It's a long-ish story, but it was covered pretty extensively the other day in the Trans thread.

e: For those interested, here is Pinsof's story and "justification" (which came amidst some pretty shitty tweets while he was defending himself)

and here is a response to the situation that pretty much sums up what happened and every single reason why Pinsof fucked up and why he's completely wrong.
    Vargas Prime on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    Holy fuckin' shit there's a DC Scribblenauts game
    2dtr87s.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT IT
    2dtr87s.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    On the one hand, misrepresenting what you're collecting donations for is kind of dishonest.

On the other hand, can you really blame her?

On every hand, fuck that guy for blowing the lid off of this, it's not like we needed to know. Respect her privacy, especially after a suicide attempt, holy shit.

it's not just dishonest, it's fraud. You go to jail for that.

since the thing was taken down (maybe because it was fraud, but I haven't read the article), maybe nothing should have been said. But it's not "kind of dishonest." It's illegal.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    ultimately the issue is that it wasn't his place to post that on the internet

call the cops if you're interested in actual justice, I guess?
    2wrn580.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    On the one hand, misrepresenting what you're collecting donations for is kind of dishonest.

On the other hand, can you really blame her?

On every hand, fuck that guy for blowing the lid off of this, it's not like we needed to know. Respect her privacy, especially after a suicide attempt, holy shit.

it's not just dishonest, it's fraud. You go to jail for that.

since the thing was taken down (maybe because it was fraud, but I haven't read the article), maybe nothing should have been said. But it's not "kind of dishonest." It's illegal.

Langly took the words out of my mouth. What he did is terrible and indefensible, but dismissing her actions as "kind of dishonest" is understatement of the year; it's a felony offense.

Dichotomy wrote: »
    because as we all know the american legal system is the only valid source of morality

I mean if someone is lying about charity, that's illegal. Whether or not it should be reported is one thing, especially since she didn't actually get the money and the site took it down. At that point, there's really no reason to do anything, because the system caught it.

But it is fraud.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Hullis wrote: »

yes because the police have always proven to be staunch supporters of the rights of transpeople XrG6oNJ.gif
    so what do you suggest, then

should she be allowed to take people's money under false pretenses?
    2wrn580.png

yes because the police have always proven to be staunch supporters of the rights of transpeople XrG6oNJ.gif

I don't see how it has to do with transpeople rights when the complaint is that they're committing fraud.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    what difference does it really make if it was srs over shrapnel removal

it's not like she's using the money to buy a yacht

it was framed as a life-saving surgery and if it was important enough that she attempted suicide over it then yeah that counts as life-saving
    personaqn.png
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular

Maybe?

If she was raising money for surgery, and I donated money to her efforts, and then later found out her story, and what the surgery was actually for, I probably wouldn't be too put off by it.

Given her suicide attempt, I'm guessing that the SRS is pretty important to her well-being.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what difference does it really make if it was srs over shrapnel removal

it's not like she's using the money to buy a yacht

it was framed as a life-saving surgery and if it was important enough that she attempted suicide over it then yeah that counts as life-saving

Because, while most people would probably have donated anyway, context is important. Some of those people might have objections to the surgery and wouldn't have donated. They aren't right, but it's their money and that should be their decision, not hers.

Imagine there was a charity that told you it's funds were going to a cause dear to you; to cure an illness a friend or relative had. Turns out it's actually for poverty relief in a third world nation. That doesn't mean that's not a worthwhile cause, but they still took your money under false pretenses. It should be the donator's choice where their money goes.
    Antimatter wrote: »
    it's the move of someone desperate enough to do anything to get the help they need.

i feel like a caged animal and i wouldnt be surprised if she did, too. she didnt have the support i have by all indications, so she's probably been at her last straw for some time. i dont blame her at all, and the reporter didnt need to out her even if he had to say it was fraud.

I get this, but you can't do it this way for a number of reasons, mainly that it can throw other indiegogo campaigns into question over their legitimacy, and that if she got found out after the fact it would cause some crazy backlash

which sucks in all measures
    2wrn580.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    whoa hey you misled some people because if you told the truth you would be at a very real risk for harassment, prejudice, and actual, physical violence on a scale that is virtually incomprehensible to most? go to jail and think about what you did
    xutFvZ4.gif

Maybe?

If she was raising money for surgery, and I donated money to her efforts, and then later found out her story, and what the surgery was actually for, I probably wouldn't be too put off by it.

Given her suicide attempt, I'm guessing that the SRS is pretty important to her well-being.
    Okay, but now understand the standard you are setting for all indiegogo campaigns

2wrn580.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    who cares about people, this is money we're talking about here
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    results are results, and it'd be up to the donator to decide what to do with their money even with a risk that what their money is spent on might not be what they were told would be done with it.

she has my pity and my sympathies.
    Antimatter on
    15Tpj.jpeg
    video games journalists so starved for validation that they do something like this under the pretense of journalistic integrity, full disclosure, due diligence or whatever the fuck because who cares the very next day you're just going to write about how the new pac man game looks kind of dumb
    personaqn.png