Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    serious dark souls question: does this game ever become fun to play?

I totally get that there's a satisfaction in beating something difficult, but the actual gameplay is boring as shit

I've tried playing a knight, hunter, and pyromancer and none of them are any fun

what kind of fun are you hoping to get out of dark souls
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular

I totally get that there's a satisfaction in beating something difficult, but the actual gameplay is boring as shit

I've tried playing a knight, hunter, and pyromancer and none of them are any fun

possibly the sort usually pursued while wearing a leather mask and a latex straitjacket
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    @SimBen Rev3 has a good spoiled games video feature on Infinite that has Jeff and Adam Sessler. Split into two parts, each about 30 minutes.

That's cool, I also just read a Cracked thing about it that raised points I hadn't even considered. I'm gonna start with the spoilercast though.

And it's just brilliant that they got Vinny to play the last couple hours of the game live while they talk about it.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular

combat with more nuance than dodge then mash light attack untill things die
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 The Neal Deal Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying to not spoil myself on the game other than seeing a friend of mine play apparently two thirds of the way through. All the talk on discussing the end is making it seem a lot crazier than it probably really is.
    Duke 2.0 on
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular

how far into the game are you
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Didn't think this throughRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Okay you just made Fire Emblem sound really complicated mere hours or a day at most before I start playing it.

I'm sorry for being terrible

rest assured you can play the game without worrying about any of this optimization talk. I've just spent months discussing the game in another thread so it's all etched into my brain, pushing out important things like what I learned last semester or how to cook without setting things on fire.
    As you're about to learn, the tenacity of a debt collector runs deep as the sea.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    optimization is for us crazy people who want to watch their tricked out assassin luncina doing her thing against lunatic enemies
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    Wait, shit

Can certain units only marry certain other units

I put an hour into each character. I quit playing the last time because I somehow got shut out of where a bonfire was, so I couldn't do anything with my 2200 souls except die with them
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wish I still had the video of the Guysbwho used Iron Flesh and a Lantern in pvp. It was amazing watching players freak out
    Bluedude152 on
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I put an hour into each character. I quit playing the last time because I somehow got shut out of where a bonfire was, so I couldn't do anything with my 2200 souls except die with them

classes literally mean shit all except basic starting weapons. every enemy you have encountered so far except the asylum demon (you didn't get to the taurus i assume) has been a super basic enemy with no poise or interesting tactics

the most interesting gameplay in dark souls arises from dealing with difficult configurations of tricky enemies between the bonfire your at and the bonfire you want to be at. Any given enemy, 1 on 1 in an open arena, is pretty easy whether you are a pro giantdadhander or not. That said, every weapon has a lot of nuance to it in its various attacks, and combined with various armor sets and rings and magic effects, pvp gets very interesting and allows for a lot of innovation and winning strategies besides brute force.

The most important part of Dark Souls is finding a fighting style you like and then abusing the shit out of it.

For example, during my first playthrough, I tried doing medium-armor (to let me dodge well) with DEX-based weaponry (longswords and katanas). There came a point where I absolutely hated the game and finished the last half with cheats.

But then I got the urge to do a second game. This time I decided to all but ignore dodging and focused on levelling up endurance and strength so I could wear heavy armor and wield a greatsword in one hand and a heavy shield in the other. There were still some challenging parts, but I had a much easier time of it, since I ended up being far better at timing my attacks and managing endurance than I was at maneuvering.
    Stilts on
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    I wish I still had the video of the Guysbwho used Iron Flesh and a Lantern in pvp. It was amazing watching players freak out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32ufmdQ6gk
    ?
    2T0N0a3.png
    I got to the taurus. it was the thing that killed me during the afforementioned shut out from the fucking bonfire what the fuck incident

fighting giant shit on cramped battlements has never and will never be fun
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Wait, shit

with only a few restrictions, most people can shack up with any of a dozen or two people
    I would like to say that I'm trying really hard to like this game. It's just not proven to be entertaing at all

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    the trick to taurus

right when you enter the arena, you'll notice you get shot at by the skeleton archer guys behind you, so climb up and kill them

then start the fight, and right away run back and climb up the ladder again

now remember what you did in the tutorial fight? do that, run to the other end to get the demon away from the ladder, rinse and repeat.

you can manmode it if you are good enough, or its even possible to trick the taurus demon into jumping off the side, but for a brand new player using the ladder is the way to go
    2T0N0a3.png
    edited May 2013
    I got to the taurus. it was the thing that killed me during the afforementioned shut out from the fucking bonfire what the fuck incident

fighting giant shit on cramped battlements has never and will never be fun

There is a trick to Dark Souls bosses that everyone should know: often the safest place to be is as close to the enemy as possible. Now, that's not accurate for every boss. But if it's giant and has a big weapon, you probably want to just hug their legs like a clingy puppy.
    Stilts on
    also just posting this because i can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVuSgGu2p4
    2T0N0a3.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If you haven't gotten past the Taurus Demon, keep going. All the fights you have been doing so far have been fairly mindless, the game gets much more interesting afterwords
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
    Alright, I'll give dark souls another shot

but it's on double secret probation
    Also, here is a video of me playing Dark Souls for the first time. Maybe it will help? Or at least be cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UghIPgkI4Y
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    if you got to the taurus demon and you still don't like dark souls then I don't think you'll ever like dark souls
    ooty.gif
    Alright, I'll give dark souls another shot

but it's on double secret probation

if you want to do well just follow this video exactly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

taught me everything i need to know
    2T0N0a3.png
    That video was literally me in my second playthrough.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Wait, shit

with only a few restrictions, most people can shack up with any of a dozen or two people

Almost any man can marry almost any woman, as long as they're both from the first half of the game or so. Later units have less options. Your avatar can marry anyone of the opposite gender.
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Shabooty wrote: »
    if you got to the taurus demon and you still don't like dark souls then I don't think you'll ever like dark souls

desktop disagree. I dunno if I was 100% in it 2 win it until like, anor londo. I can totally see not grasping everything that makes the game cool by the taurus demon. All the cool covenants, weapons, spells, locations, secrets, enemies. Unless you have a master key and knowledge of what you are doing, you wouldn't have seen any of that.
    2T0N0a3.png
  • MikeLLMikeLL Collateral Damage Advocate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MrDapper wrote: »

You beat me to posting my video! that was quick. Glad people are enjoying it, if you are.

there's a second one with more of my crimes against humanity here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYhORmm9Ly4
    MikeLL on
    please tell me you tweeted that to jeff
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Counting the moments till Gerstmann makes his VGCW debut.
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
    MikeLL wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »

You beat me to posting my video! that was quick. Glad people are enjoying it, if you are.

there's a second one with more of my crimes against humanity here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYhORmm9Ly4

Sorry duder, saw it on Tumblr and forgot you were on the forum.
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I would like to say that I'm trying really hard to like this game. It's just not proven to be entertaing at all

If you made it to Taurus and quit you're not trying very hard at all

That sounds a lot more shitty than I intended it to but that's basically the game's first real boss, you've got a loooooooong way to go from there

DS ain't for everybody, but you're not at The Real Dark Souls Starts Here

You're at the end of the tutorial, more or less
    THESPOOKY on
    FREEZE. Cool your jets. Ice to meet you. Take a chill pill. Stay frosty.
    subzeroice.gif
  • MikeLLMikeLL Collateral Damage Advocate Registered User regular
    please tell me you tweeted that to jeff
    I did, don't know if he saw it or not though.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    A Jeff-less Bombcast?

I don't know if I'm ready for this or not
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    MikeLL is supernormalstep? Okay sweet

Toh and Bryne are on gaf too... I think?