Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    as a hardcore nintendo fangirl,

Nintendo needs to hold the line and make a better console next gen
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • T4CTT4CT i'm pretty specific hi i am mikeRegistered User regular
    i have said for five years that nintendo would be out of the console game by 2015 and I strongly believe this to still be the case

- Michael "Pachter" Blais
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    See personally I would rather have one XBOX/PS type console for those kinds of games and one quirky gimmicky console like the WiiU.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    what would a more powerful wii u do. there's no point in nintendo trying to directly compete with MS and sony.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Nintendo has too much Wii and DS money and the 3DS is doing too well for even a Wii U bomb to sink them
    personaqn.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    There are plenty of studios that just won't have the budget to compete on PS4 and Xbox 358/2 days.

Think of the Wii U as home to the Atlas Games of the world but also the Atlas Games of the world are now studios that make things like Sleeping Dogs.
    PwnanObrien on
    snasi.gif
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    remember when the 3DS shat the bed at launch
    2wrn580.png
    I would think it's more liky that ps4 and nextbox collapse under the cover based brown shooter bubble bursting
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I believe the story I've heard is that Nintendo lost a billion dollars in the last year or two

However, they still have 4 or 5 billion dollars just sitting around
    Even Sega had 3 bombs before they sank and the Genesis didn't do nearly as well as the Wii or DS or even the 3DS now
    personaqn.png
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Man, i don't even know how to react to that. Everybody likes ragging on Nintendo and everything, but i wonder if this doesn't reflect more on EA. The Wii-U isn't doing worse than say, the Gamecube, but EA always did it's (usually awful) diligence on that system. They could at least pump out a shitty version of FIFA or something, but to decide it isn't even worth that is less frightening to me for Nintendo's prospects and more worrying about how nervous EA must be about money right now.

EA feeling insecure enough to flat out ignore even a small market is not a good sign. And i for one do not want to see EA decay any time soon, as much as i complain about them.

EA refuses to develop for Wii U because Nintendo refuses to let them port Origin to it. It's pretty simple and it's old news.

You already need an Origin account to play EA games on Wii U. Whether or not EA wanted more should be irrelevant as a sticking point for EA not publishing games on the Wii U, since every other console currently does the same thing. If EA decided to use "we don't want to become actual partners with you" that a sticking point for giving Nintendo nothing then that's a whole nother' problem, but that seems kind of a weird leap of logic to make.

The grapevine talk is that EA essentially wanted to force an install of an Origin app on the WiiU that the games couldn't run without, and which would host every single DLC for EA games; these DLCs would not appear on the Nintendo shop. This was the sticking point that caused them to pull out.

Whether Sony and Microsoft will allow them to do that, and how EA will react if they refuse, well, we'll see.

I've heard this rumor before, but it currently just seems like well, a rumor. And EA just deciding to pull up game support for not agreeing to something that, let's face it, would be a huge risk on Nintendo's part?

It feels a little too "EA IS THE DEVIL YOU GUYS" for me to take at face value, and EA having serious business troubles feel a lot more likely to me, even if that's probably the more disheartening option in the long run.

It's both of those. Also note that this happened before SimCity came out, at the height of EA hubris.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I believe the story I've heard is that Nintendo lost a billion dollars in the last year or two

If the next Nintendo console's first year does as bad as the Wii U's first year, then they'll be in potential trouble.
    Seriously though of the two companies, EA is the one in more trouble right now.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie

So has EA just not had a CEO for the past couple months or
    When Nintendo puts out a Saturn, a Nomad, and a Dreamcast consecutively then they will go third party
    personaqn.png
    Nintendo will be back to profitability by the end of the year, if they aren't already. The 3DS is bringing them more money than the Wii U is taking out of their coffers.
    Like, the top 3 best-selling games of this year so far, across everything, are 3DS games.

Two of those are still only out in Japan.
    Ms and Sony post losses on the reg

The Xbox lost 40 billion and the 360 took forever to get to a profitable quarter

Nintendo will live
    personaqn.png
    (they are Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Dragon Quest VII)
    that's why sony is up the shit crick though. they have a bunch of debt from the PS3 and 4K tvs or whatever that junk was, nintendo has zero debt
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom It's a brand new day and the sun is high All the birds are singing that you're gonna dieRegistered User regular
    (they are Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Dragon Quest VII)

Dragon Quest games will always get hella buys in Japan

Dragon Quest games will always get hella buys in Japan

Yeah it won't stay up there

but the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 7, in Japan alone, sold more than:
    Bioshock Infinite
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
    Tomb Raider
    Crysis 3
    Gears of War: Judgment
    God of War: Ascension
    SimCity
    Dead Space 3
    DmC: Devil May Cry
    Injustice: Gods Among Us

sold worldwide.

And most of those are multiplatform games.
    DQ9 sold well here. it turns out seth green can get people to buy DQ games
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Dan Ryckert's a bit of a dork, but his Twitter is definitely worth following.
    acblackflag.jpg

Ryckert's a total goose when it comes to anything political, but you follow enough Friends of Giant Bomb like the Harmonix guys, and you get people berating him for being dumb
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    I want Nintendo to keep doing what they be doing.

Hold the line, love isn't always on time.
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular

Ryckert's a total goose when it comes to anything political, but you follow enough Friends of Giant Bomb like the Harmonix guys, and you get people berating him for being dumb

I didn't even know he was a Friend of Giant Bomb. I've just always been a big fan of the video content Game Informer puts out, where he exhibits that he has the worst opinions
    acblackflag.jpg
  • rfilyawrfilyaw Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    I'M SORRY @RFILYAW BUT RUNE FACTORY IS DEAD LONG LIVE STARDEW VALLEY

Ah, didn't even see this a million pages ago

TAKE IT BACK

I didn't even know he was a Friend of Giant Bomb. I've just always been a big fan of the video content Game Informer puts out, where he exhibits that he has the worst opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sRCUcNR7A
  • agoajagoaj Registered User regular
    Everytime I see Stardew I read Stardrew.
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Ah, didn't even see this a million pages ago

TAKE IT BACK
    It's too late now

if I look back I am lost
    2wrn580.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sRCUcNR7A

Oh man

Yup, that's Dan!
    acblackflag.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Oops, I must make a correction. It seemed I only looked at single-platform sales numbers instead of aggregated ones across all platforms.

Putting all platforms together, the top 3 best-selling games of this year so far are Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Japan only), Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite in that order.
    SimBen on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Oops, I must make a correction. It seemed I only looked at single-platform sales numbers instead of aggregated ones across all platforms.

Putting all platforms together, the top 3 best-selling games of this year so far are Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Japan only), Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite in that order.

But Tomb Raider is an under-performing disappointment.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what 3DS sales have to do with the Wii U. If their handhelds are doing well, and the home console tanks, that only makes it more likely for them to not bother with a home console.

I don't think anyone thinks the Wii U will put Nintendo out of business.
    yipyip3.png
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I'm not sure what 3DS sales have to do with the Wii U. If their handhelds are doing well, and the home console tanks, that only makes it more likely for them to not bother with a home console.

I don't think anyone thinks the Wii U will put Nintendo out of business.

It means that Nintendo is still bringing in enough money to bankroll the Wii U without getting in trouble for it, that's all. And even if they can't make the Wii U profitable this generation, I highly doubt they'll give up and not try again next time.