Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Brad Muir Thread: Also Starring Giant Bomb

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    yeah the only women i remember seeing in the bureau are either housewives being menaced by aliens or outsiders disguised as women

Was there ever an explanation given in Bioshock Infinite for why they were apparently cool with women being in the cops/military? I missed a lot of voxes.

That's a really good point. Best I can figure is that Columbia's leading scientist being female may have shattered the glass ceiling much faster in that universe than in ours. Too bad racism didn't follow up.

Also they are all part of a cult that worships a woman
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    plus i mean maybe the writing team didnt actually think that through
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    yeah the only women i remember seeing in the bureau are either housewives being menaced by aliens or outsiders disguised as women

Was there ever an explanation given in Bioshock Infinite for why they were apparently cool with women being in the cops/military? I missed a lot of voxes.

That's a really good point. Best I can figure is that Columbia's leading scientist being female may have shattered the glass ceiling much faster in that universe than in ours. Too bad racism didn't follow up.

to be fair so is the catholic church
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    plus i mean maybe the writing team didnt actually think that through

wouldn't be the only thing
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »

ummm...
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    There's actually a really weird piece of ambient dialogue where one of the cops is talking about how the low-class ethnic minorities are all misogynists
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Actually now that I think about it I'm not 100% certain I remember seeing a single female soldier on Comstock's side.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • ZayZay FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan Please, just call me York.Registered User regular
    there are
    Okay then. Just wasn't really on my mind at the time I guess.
    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
    There's actually a really weird piece of ambient dialogue where one of the cops is talking about how the low-class ethnic minorities are all misogynists

Maybe they heard that term through a tear.
    they're mostly near the beginning. i think only basic soldiers have female models; the big guys and armored troops later on don't have any
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular

Not... really. No.

Not really.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715

Are you Dan Brown?
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I've heard the Catholic Church called "the cult of the Virgin Mary", which I found amusing. I can kinda see it though, lots of Ave Marias and Hail Mary's.
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular
    there is a huge difference between reverence and worship
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

ummm...

he means Mary, which while the Catholic Church does not technically worship her, she does serve as an intercessor and they pray to her. Catholics are super into Mary. She is doctrinally believed to be sinless, just like Christ.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien Registered User regular

Are you Dan Brown?

the handsome poster paused, his long-tipped fingers hovering over the greasy alphabetical keys like the quivering branches of a eucalyptus, while he thought

"no," he tapped out hesitantly

"Qwerty"...what did it mean?
    snasi.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Not... really. No.

Not really.

Also women can't hold leadership positions in the Catholic church.

So......
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    This ain't a religious thread, but as a Catholic, just want to clarify that prayers to Mary and the saints are intercessory in nature. Like if you said to your buddy "I'm going through a tough time, please pray for me" (if you are religious). Same concept.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715

Not... really. No.

Not really.

that is why he is making a joke.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    This ain't a religious thread, but as a Catholic, just want to clarify that prayers to Mary and the saints are intercessory in nature. Like if you said to your buddy "I'm going through a tough time, please pray for me" (if you are religious). Same concept.

Yeah, as I understand it, they don't actually worship Mary.

It's basically like, "Hey, Mary, could you tell Jesus I said I was sorry?"
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular

Are you Dan Brown?

the handsome poster paused, his long-tipped fingers hovering over the greasy alphabetical keys like the quivering branches of a eucalyptus, while he thought

"no," he tapped out hesitantly

his fingers crossed the keyboard like Hannibal's elephants crossing the Rubicon.
    "a/s/l?" he typed monumentally.
    ETqXK.png
    edited May 2013
    "to be fair" in that context is a way of positioning a statement as an opposing response

i was refuting the logic of "well, they're a religious cult that worships a virginal pseudo-saint so that must mean they're cool with women"

in conclusion: butts to you all. good day!
    Snowbeat on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

pretty sure that's supposed to be "miscegenists", as in miscegenation
    gtrmp on
    gtrmp wrote: »

yeah that is a pretty hilarious misunderstanding.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • existexist Registered User regular
    lol. Awesome
    UmPiq.png
    he could feel the great wheels of the hard drive turning as he searched. the database was one of his own creation. the inter-search engine fucntioned not too unlike Benjamin Franklin's own decoder ring. he need only refine his efforts just a little more to find the crown jewel.

"fair + red + ...."

no. no. this wasn't what he needed.

"skin types: all + red + hair + smoking + squirt party + smoking: e-cigarettes"

Like Archimedes's Ostomachion, all the pieces were now perfectly cumming together.
    ETqXK.png
    i don't even know what i'm doing anymore. someone please come here and put me to sleep. i need sleep. i'm so sorry.
    ETqXK.png
    Futore

I love you
    edited May 2013

for people who are lazy:

Anti-Miscegenation Laws

Also just because it is great when legal case names match the subject matter: Loving v. Virginia is the case that federally invalidated anti-miscegenation laws.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Soul Hackers finally started clicking after the second vision quest

also it has a positive trans character?? in a 1997 sega saturn jrpg???
    personaqn.png
    Langly wrote: »

yeah that is a pretty hilarious misunderstanding.

Ill have to double check it but I could SWEAR the subtitle said misogynist
    Either way, miscegenists makes way more sense in context and was probably the intended word.
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    racism vs misogyny

it's, like, nobody is the good guy, man

deep
    personaqn.png
    Well the Vox Populi also has female soldiers, and are led by a woman, so even if that was the accusation, it doesn't pan out in the slightest.
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    so I bought Prison Architect

if anyone has any ideas for prison names, lemme have em
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com