Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I saw a PSA earlier that said Babby costs $10,000 a year.
    This can't possibly be true.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

yeah I mean daycare for us is cheap, like 800/mo

it can be much more expensive in other parts of the country

and that doesnt count food and diapers and clothes and toys and doctor visits and all the shit you have to buy like cribs and car seats
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    like on average if you through lifetime of babby inc college, wedding, right?
    Your basic entry level poop factory doesn't cost $830 a month, does it?

Are you supposed to sprinkle gold leaf on gerber food?
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

Pretty sure that is a low ball number.

Like raising a kid from birth through college is like a $250,000 last I heard.
    falasig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    amfrony do you have any other ideas about what you might wanna do

Like besides programming?

yeah i guess. i mean, it sounds like you haven't totally given up on it? you're gonna make another push once you get medication?

i dunno. maybe have a fallback, because in my experience add medication doesn't work like that. what you're talking about is a self-delusion, i think, so if you legitimately no longer have any will or interest then it might be time to look elsewhere and start moving toward some goal.
    *sits a burrito on a table relatively far away*
    walk towards your goal
    walk towards the burrito

This is the beginning of a trail of burritos that will lead you to success and wealth.

*notices the next burrito is being eaten by a homeless man*

*imitating Will* GOD DAMMIT
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    The Mini Cooper isn't "ugly," Baka gaijin
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i'm talking about something not brand new, but within the last 10ish years maybe

good action movie i think

preferably not cheesy action?

like a bond movie or a bourne movie but not one of those, something i haven't seen before

maybe also a mystery type deal

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Will will forget on page 50 or so and we will be back here again.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

Oh, shit I didn't even think about daycare.

$10,000/yr is very low if you don't have a parent at home raising the child.

Yeah, you could literally rent the babby an apartment for less than the cost of daycare.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

It wouldn't be low if one of the parents was young enough that he or she didn't have a career before the baby. Those people probably bring the average down.

They're also the sort of people that that PSA was probably targeting.
    Robos A Go Go on
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I'd imagine the most expensive parts of children are between the ages of 0-3, the ages of 13-18, and 20-24 (college, shift this appropriately).
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

and that doesnt count food and diapers and clothes and toys and doctor visits and all the shit you have to buy like cribs and car seats

800/month is wayyyy out of the range of common folk
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    *slow clap*

Ya done good, kid.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @spool32 yeah the model Ses are very swoopy

I see them in traffic every few days gliding by fusty 7 series bimmers and Infiniti dentist cars and Botox-y S class benzes and it just looks like "out of the way, dinosaurs."

I think it is telling that at the Tesla showroom here in Austin, they have the Model S out front, and the Roadster in the back.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

Yeah, you could literally rent the babby an apartment for less than the cost of daycare.

Aw, a little baby bachelor pad.

"Damnit, baby, those pizza boxes and beer cans are stacked ceiling high! You need to get your shit together!"
    i have already seen and sucked off ronin, alas
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I can't have a baby because I know he'll be just like me and that'll be great for a while but jesus christ I don't want to have to deal with 12 year old me.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, daycare is basically rent for babby

Never having kids
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    amfrony do you have any other ideas about what you might wanna do

Like besides programming?

yeah i guess. i mean, it sounds like you haven't totally given up on it? you're gonna make another push once you get medication?

i dunno. maybe have a fallback, because in my experience add medication doesn't work like that. what you're talking about is a self-delusion, i think, so if you legitimately no longer have any will or interest then it might be time to look elsewhere and start moving toward some goal.

The thing is that I'm pretty much only interested in STEM and all of that shit is hard and I don't think I could tackle it without help. Basically I'm gonna medicate for my depression, ADD and anxiety and then enroll again and see how I do. I still want to program, but right now I don't want to try because the results were previously so poor.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

Aw, a little baby bachelor pad.

"Damnit, baby, those pizza boxes and beer cans are stacked ceiling high! You need to get your shit together!"

It's a BEERAMID mom, gawl!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    premature e[chat]ulation?

anyway is this monitor any good:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE228H-21-5-Inch-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B00413PHDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1368116593&sr=1-1

I have $150 in Amazon cards so it comes out to free
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, daycare is basically rent for babby

Never having kids

Bad news for rich people!
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    jacob, jacob in the [chat] thread

tell me,

which is the fairest TOS Star Trek movie of them all?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

Women!
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Have you seen Love, Actually, Chu?
    Have you seen Love, Actually, Chu?

nope
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

800/month is wayyyy out of the range of common folk

That's $200 a week. If you're retired DINKs that's $100 per.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    omg the sims 4 is gonna come out in 2014

noooooooooooooo
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd imagine the most expensive parts of children are between the ages of 0-3, the ages of 13-18, and 20-24 (college, shift this appropriately).

No, the most expensive parts of children are the spine and inner ear bones
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Will, I googled for one that works. You can just cut and paste this:

Geth, recycle the thread on page 100

yeah - i really need to look this up before i do it. every time i think i remember the syntax, and every time i manage to fuck it up

i've asked @IcyLiquid to add some variable syntax to the command because i'm such a consistent fuckup on this. maybe he'll oblige me.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

With daycare, absolutely. You will spend maybe $150/month just on the things he poops in.

One huge cost savings: exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6mo. Try for a year. That will save piles of cash (if the mother is at home).

Babby is expensive, and a lot of those costs are super front-loaded. They get cheap from like 7 - 13, then expensive again until they leave.

Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    ok lets say 5-6 diapers a day, so 2000 diapers a year = $500/year

food maybe $30-$40/week = $1500-$2000/year

doctors appointments vary depending on your plan, but you will have many checkups and shots, say $500-$1000/year

so we are at $2500-$3500 ballpark for basic necessities

formula would be a lot of extra money, dunno how much

clothes can be a big expense if you like to splurge, but it doesnt have to be all that much

toys/stroller/car seat/etc.

$10k/year is probably about right
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    kids are where those hippy "following your dream" type jobs really fucking help

if someone can work from home like, I dunno, painting or freelance writing or whatever for $10 or $15 or $20k, they are adding immense value to that sum just by being able to raise babby and save on daycare
    Jacobkosh on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    kosh, right now i'm watching jason bourne outrun every cop in paris in an ugly little red car

you have until the end of the movie to recommend the next film i watch or this friendship is over

@organichu if you're not tired of this kind of stuff (car chases in paris, etc) then you have made my job very easy indeed sir

220px-Ronin_movie_1998.jpg

seriously yo, you will not regret it.

Oh dude, if you've never seen Ronin you're in for a treat Chu. I mean this is the good shit. Amazing car chases, Bobby D bringing his acting chops, Jean Reno being a badass, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgård being very Scandinavia and one of my crushes growing up Katarina Witt.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    hmm

hyperbole and a half updated again which is good

but its about her struggle with depression and parts of it are a little too familiar right now D:
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid is like a son trying to get his dad to understand you're supposed to left click on things.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Desc

I am your-av-facing at your latest transgression

Flake

Pshaw

I am no flake

Wait... Gooby calls me Special K

A corn flake...

All this time I thought it was a friendly nickname..
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

also it was thousands (5k? 7k?) to have him
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

like, good luck getting another job if you're still of breeding age ma'am

R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
This discussion has been closed.