Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Spartan is a pretty decent spyey kind of actiony movie. Don't know if its on netflix since thats blocked from work

It's not on there at the moment.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I used to miss classes because I would just lay in bed and stare at the wall, not tired or asleep but just, why the fuck get out of bed what's the point

now if I miss a class it's because I stayed up too late playing league of legends with my friends (or a catastrophic weather event blocks the road, which only happens biweekly in southeast wisconsin)

still working on if that's an improvement
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I saw a PSA earlier that said Babby costs $10,000 a year.
    This can't possibly be true.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

It's got to be hard taking 3-4 years off work and going back into the grind. Your skills have atrophied and you're really off your career track.

and no employer will want you because they'll assume you could drop another one out at any given moment and they'll be stuck with maternity pay

untrue.

orly?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I'll leave my babby with a pack of lions.
    if he lives he becomes king of the jungle.
    if he dies ill blame simba.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

like, good luck getting another job if you're still of breeding age ma'am

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

that seems a bit excessive

What does?

Having one parent ALWAYS on call.

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

It's a reasonable decision to make.

Because throwing away an entire person's income is a hell of a lot of money?
    xlh6c3.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

everything the light touches
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    This fucking MTG Forum. Someone called people who get angry or sad about aspects of the game "feel bads". Time to unfavorite that forum.
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    hmm

hyperbole and a half updated again which is good

but its about her struggle with depression and parts of it are a little too familiar right now D:

That post is serious like whoa ffffffffffffffffff

the new hyperbole and a half pretty much perfectly sums up my emotional state at the moment

not like, dead like I have been for the majority of the past 6 years, but angry and sad that I didn't really accomplish anything for most of my life since turning 18

I think anger and sadness is an improvement but Idk, maybe need meds. Mostly angry because men aren't supposed to be sad and that makes me mad

depression is really weird, when nearly homeless and no serious outlook for the future being anything but shitty retail jobs I felt nothing and now that I have a job with huge upward mobility potential for a great company and am relatively close to graduating college with a manageable (if high) amount of debt I feel miserable quite frequently

I don't mean to belittle or insult, and if you feel you're suffering from depression, you should seek some professional help, because they can help and all...

...but the bolded there? That's pretty fucking normal, dawg. Most people don't "accomplish" anything, and almost nobody "accomplishes" anywhere near as much as they thought they would. Coming out of High School, high on youth and hormones, we feel like fucking superstars, special snowflakes, everyone telling us how we're gonna change the world. It's all bullshit, man. Most people don't have the means to do much more than get by, and you know what? That's A-OK.

It's not about regretting the things you didn't accomplish, it's about focusing on the things you did. I put myself through college; sure my degree is worthless and never got me a job, but I got self-sufficient. I worked to pay my rent and bills. I met a girl, got married. My kids are awesome. Am I the superstar video game programmer I thought one day I'd be? Hell no; my job kinda blows most of the time. But at the end of the day, I still stand on my own two feet, and I take care of the shit that needs taking care of. And that's a pretty fucking big deal, when you really think about it.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

everything the light touches
    monkey lives babby up in the air
    *dramatic music*
    monkey proceeds to bash babby against the rock

NO MONKEY NOOOOO
    THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

What does?

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

My parents let my sister function on her own when she was 10. That's when she started middle school. They took me out of daycare when I was 8, with the understanding that my then-12 year old sister would make sure I didn't set the house on fire. The only times they needed to take out of work was doctors visits (then they'd do a half day), maybe one or two times when my sister was REALLY sick (they never did for me because I never had anything more than a bit of a stomach ache), and they came home pissed off when I got suspended in high school. Children are resilient, you don't need to be there all the time.
    if depressions minus being sad or angry or any emotional state at all is depressions then yeah bit of that meself

which is great because it's exam time. Fighting myself to get myself to do stuff.

But, hey, sorta winning, so.

Yeah, I don't tend to get the sads or the angries.

I get the call out from work, lie in bed all day playing video games, and don't bother me for anythings.

I do my favourite computer activity: open and close video games and movies repeatedly

maybe playing or watching one for a couple minutes then going "naaaah...."

a victory is finding something that manages to distract me. Which is a very pyrrhic victory most of the time.
    xlh6c3.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    This fucking MTG Forum. Someone called people who get angry or sad about aspects of the game "feel bads". Time to unfavorite that forum.

Sounds like we have a feel bad among us.
    Why the hell would your mom be mad you are having success now? Unless she is yelling at you because you have depression, in which case that is not cool either.

"where do you get off feeling sorry about yourself, do you know how much worse off I was at your age? you got a roof over your head and food on the table (as if the rent checks bear her signature or something, because I pay it)"

and logically its impossible to argue with that, me from 5 years ago would have told now me that he was an asshole for being upset about anything because that guy was living on charity in someone's basement
    Irond Will wrote: »
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Maybe this is too much power for one man...

Geth, revoke all access for user "Irond Will"

what?! this is terrible!

At least you got to keep the badge.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    if depressions minus being sad or angry or any emotional state at all is depressions then yeah bit of that meself

which is great because it's exam time. Fighting myself to get myself to do stuff.

But, hey, sorta winning, so.

Yeah, I don't tend to get the sads or the angries.

I get the call out from work, lie in bed all day playing video games, and don't bother me for anythings.

I do my favourite computer activity: open and close video games and movies repeatedly

maybe playing or watching one for a couple minutes then going "naaaah...."

a victory is finding something that manages to distract me. Which is a very pyrrhic victory most of the time.

Yeah, definitely by "playing video games" I mean half-assedly attempting to find something entertaining to do and being too apathetic for it to work.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    once i started kindergarten that was it. no babysitters or whatever. around 6-7 i started doing my own laundry, my own homework, cooking, etc. it's weird when i see 13 year olds with babysitters.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh dear, I'm thinking about applying for a job in Indiana.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

Doing things only because you need to is not the optimal mode for childrearing.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Why the hell would your mom be mad you are having success now? Unless she is yelling at you because you have depression, in which case that is not cool either.

"where do you get off feeling sorry about yourself, do you know how much worse off I was at your age? you got a roof over your head and food on the table (as if the rent checks bear her signature or something, because I pay it)"

and logically its impossible to argue with that, me from 5 years ago would have told now me that he was an asshole for being upset about anything because that guy was living on charity in someone's basement

Ah, the old shame them out of their depression tactic.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Don't do it!
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I have a very talkative bottom this afternoon

what?! this is terrible!

you are now a figurehead mod only

all your true power has been taken from you

for Icey giveth and Icey taketh away

he is a fickle e-god
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Cinders wrote: »

Don't do it!

Seriously, Indiana is the South of the Midwest.
    I get ennui a lot. About once a month I'll spend a weekend day just lying in bed staring at the ceiling, not caring to do anything. Dunno if it's actual depression, it doesn't bother me enough to worry about it, but I hear that it's pretty similar symptoms. I'm not nonfunctional, if I need to do something I can still do it, like I might feel it when I wake up for work but I can still get out of bed and go to work just fine. When I'm feeling unproductive it'd happen a lot more often, I'd spend about half of my college winter breaks in that state.
    He is now Vichy Will
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

no I'm saying the benefits look very small to me

I mean, for most of the time the one parent is just sitting at home being on call, the child isn't even there!
    xlh6c3.png
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

and if neither parent earns enough to carry the family on their own?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Don't do it!

But it's in Indianapolis! And it's with a University.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    It's not about regretting the things you didn't accomplish, it's about focusing on the things you did. I put myself through college; sure my degree is worthless and never got me a job, but I got self-sufficient. I worked to pay my rent and bills. I met a girl, got married. My kids are awesome. Am I the superstar video game programmer I thought one day I'd be? Hell no; my job kinda blows most of the time. But at the end of the day, I still stand on my own two feet, and I take care of the shit that needs taking care of. And that's a pretty fucking big deal, when you really think about it.
    i've accomplished none of that
    Per3th.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Small to non existent
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    i've accomplished none of that

It was just my example; some people wouldn't consider them accomplishments at all. What have you accomplished? Probably more than you think!
    Houn on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
    He is now Vichy Will

People complain about the Holocaust all the time, but the REAL crime of WW2 was when Hitler took geth access away from the French.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    hmm

but its about her struggle with depression and parts of it are a little too familiar right now D:

the new hyperbole and a half pretty much perfectly sums up my emotional state at the moment

not like, dead like I have been for the majority of the past 6 years, but angry and sad that I didn't really accomplish anything for most of my life since turning 18

I think anger and sadness is an improvement but Idk, maybe need meds. Mostly angry because men aren't supposed to be sad and that makes me mad

depression is really weird, when nearly homeless and no serious outlook for the future being anything but shitty retail jobs I felt nothing and now that I have a job with huge upward mobility potential for a great company and am relatively close to graduating college with a manageable (if high) amount of debt I feel miserable quite frequently

I don't mean to belittle or insult, and if you feel you're suffering from depression, you should seek some professional help, because they can help and all...

...but the bolded there? That's pretty fucking normal, dawg. Most people don't "accomplish" anything, and almost nobody "accomplishes" anywhere near as much as they thought they would. Coming out of High School, high on youth and hormones, we feel like fucking superstars, special snowflakes, everyone telling us how we're gonna change the world. It's all bullshit, man. Most people don't have the means to do much more than get by, and you know what? That's A-OK.

The jocks wished they were smarter instead of always getting the girls, sometimes, the smarties wished they could get the girl instead of always being smart.

You will always not accomplish something and feel like you're not living up to your potential. That's what makes you human.

That's always what makes you so god damned amazing. You stretch just a little bit more out of your comfort zone, hey, I got a girlfriend now! I'm 25 but hey, she loves me, I love her. Then, oh hey D&D guys, we should go on a road trip. Oh hey, you know what I'd like to do? Get my pilots license.

Just don't let the notion that you didn't accomplish everything you should have stop you from continuing. That's the hardest part, not being defeatist about yourself.

Largest thing that I overcame as a teenager was giving a fuck what other people thought. It was aces after that. Junior and senior year of high school was fucking fun as shit. College was scary, but, hey, I just overcame my insecurities, let's keep going.

I did drop out of college because I couldn't play Counter-Strike though. That pissed me off. Pfah, do academics with the internet? Not likely!
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Is the 'using an open wireless network' something normal people even vaguely care about?

Like not huge amounts of torrenting, or camping outside a house with your laptop but just temporary normal usage?
    He is now Vichy Will

is this the point at which the down-trodden slaves form an enclosing ring around the enforcer who no longer has a gun?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

what?! this is terrible!

*pours one out*

It's a long road to work on getting your might back.

Are you a bad enough dude to walk it?

Don't do it!

But it's in Indianapolis! And it's with a University.

Hmm. I feel like this is the kind of situation I'll be grappling with in a couple years when the Lady finishes her PhD and we have to go wherever she can get a job.

And I don't mean "I" like it would be my decision, but you know what I mean.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    the idea of having a parent always on call when i'm 10- let alone 14 or 16- is bonkers to me. i did shit myself and i was fine.
    hmm

So you've accomplished a hell of a lot
    I couldn't even manage to avoid being homeless so

good for you
This discussion has been closed.