Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    For my Neverwinter questline I was thinking of doing a scorpion and frog sort of thing.

You find an army of undead trapped under Neverwinter, but you end up finding out they're sentient and friendly pacifists. Eventually they convince you to free them and kill the undead hunters who are wrongly persecuting them. After you do, though, they realize that the flesh of the living seems awfully delicious, and maybe, you know, it'd be better if everyone was just undead anyway. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dying, etc.

So then you have to scramble to undo everything you just did and trap them underground forever before they overthrow Neverwinter.

Overdone, or should I go with it?

Sounds pretty cool to me.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    At age 12, I would get home with my siblings, get them started on their homework along with mine. I would then cook dinner for us and a plate for my mom. Then it was attempt to herd my siblings into doing various bits of housework. Then some TV. Usually my mom would be home before my siblings went to bed but if not, I could enjoy the the task of trying to get them there.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Vanguard wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I saw a PSA earlier that said Babby costs $10,000 a year.
    This can't possibly be true.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

like, good luck getting another job if you're still of breeding age ma'am

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

that seems a bit excessive

What does?

Having one parent ALWAYS on call.

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

It's a reasonable decision to make.

Because throwing away an entire person's income is a hell of a lot of money?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

Doing things only because you need to is not the optimal mode for childrearing.

and if neither parent earns enough to carry the family on their own?

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Reduce expense, or choose a solution that is less than optimal. Parenting is all about where you're going to compromise and what you're willing to sacrifice.

thinking about my own upbringing, the only benefit to having mom or dad home all day would be... that they wouldn't have to take the day off if I had to go to the ER again because I split my head open, again, or something

between mornings and 16:00 I didn't really need parents since, I dunno, 8

The idea of leaving an 8yr old home alone to fend for himself is crazy to me.

Shit, I don't think it's even legal to leave a child home alone before age 13.

It really isn't. If child services found out they would definitely take the kids.

Ehh, not so sure about that. I was basically home alone every night until my mom earned her college degree and could get by on a single job, from age 7 onward

basically all of my pre-highschool friends were the same
    override367 on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Also can parents not be "on call" while at work or is this another instance of inadequate worker protections in the US?

You can take time off sometimes. Do it enough and you'll use up your sick days and start losing money. Do it a lot or for a long stretch without planning for the absence first and you might get fired.

I mean... I could not take a week off my job without notice to care for a child with the flu. Someone has to keep all this shit running.

Thought so. Here you'd generally be ok doing that, although I'm not sure why you'd take a week off over a kid having flu.

There are jobs where It's impractical, but they're the exception rather than the rule.
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Hyperbole and a Half updated.

Prepare for feels.

Almost didn't recognize you without the Jade avatar!

Thanks for this, I love hyperboleandahalf. I laughed for about twenty minutes when I read the car trip story.

Yeah, that is the thing about hanging onto the same av for a long time, isn't it? (I do intend to swap back to Jade after Strip Search. Just this is kind of a special occasion.)
    Gosling on
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    My brother had leukemia multiple times and it accelerated my dad's mental illness and turned my mom into a crazy person

and my school experience was hellish

so i kind of didn't have a childhood.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I saw a PSA earlier that said Babby costs $10,000 a year.
    This can't possibly be true.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

like, good luck getting another job if you're still of breeding age ma'am

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

that seems a bit excessive

What does?

Having one parent ALWAYS on call.

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

It's a reasonable decision to make.

Because throwing away an entire person's income is a hell of a lot of money?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

Doing things only because you need to is not the optimal mode for childrearing.

and if neither parent earns enough to carry the family on their own?

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Reduce expense, or choose a solution that is less than optimal. Parenting is all about where you're going to compromise and what you're willing to sacrifice.

thinking about my own upbringing, the only benefit to having mom or dad home all day would be... that they wouldn't have to take the day off if I had to go to the ER again because I split my head open, again, or something

between mornings and 16:00 I didn't really need parents since, I dunno, 8

The idea of leaving an 8yr old home alone to fend for himself is crazy to me.

Shit, I don't think it's even legal to leave a child home alone before age 13.

well, I wasn't at home. I may have been assuming to much if there was a thing to have your kids be in at school, after school?

it's SFO here

it was just the kids hanging out playing, a light meal, and some outside time, with adults keeping half an eye on us.

it lasted until 16:00, and the 4th grade.

after that I was usually at a friend's house or in the woods playing at large-scale war or something.
    xlh6c3.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    @Organichu

I went through my collection and netflix queues and here is what I came up with in the general realm of serious recent-ish movies with action and thriller/espionage/crime/suspense elements:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Collateral
    Miami Vice
    Spartan
    Eastern Promises
    A History of Violence
    Spy Game
    The Town
    Michael Clayton
    Monument Avenue
    Dirty Pretty Things
    Croupier
    Layer Cake
    Sexy Beast

and this one is from out in left field but I saw it on my shelf and was like HOLY SHIT I HOPE CHU HAS SEEN THIS

Master and Commander
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Hyperbole and a Half updated.

Prepare for feels.

ADTWO57.png

This part was fantastic.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    For my Neverwinter questline I was thinking of doing a scorpion and frog sort of thing.

You find an army of undead trapped under Neverwinter, but you end up finding out they're sentient and friendly pacifists. Eventually they convince you to free them and kill the undead hunters who are wrongly persecuting them. After you do, though, they realize that the flesh of the living seems awfully delicious, and maybe, you know, it'd be better if everyone was just undead anyway. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dying, etc.

So then you have to scramble to undo everything you just did and trap them underground forever before they overthrow Neverwinter.

Sorry, but I hate it. The "gosh golly these undead are nice!" is a terrible way to subvert the trope. It ignores the lore of undead in Forgotten Realms and punishes players for following the roles they've chosen, only to have them later discover that they should have stuck to their guns and murdered the undead abominations just like they always do.

It's sort of a double fuck-you to anybody trying to play a good-aligned cleric that fits the setting. First you shit on them for subverting the lore and making them feel bad for their assumptions, then you shit on them again by revealing that naaah, they're terrible and you should totally kill them.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with being a latchkey kid. Like, oh no, I watched TV alone for two hours and had to make myself a snack before my mom got home?

As long as your parents can accommodate emergencies, you're fine, and they really don't happen often enough to make you quit your job? Just have a flexible one?

That was me too.. I mean, I was home for a few hours a day every day from age 10 I guess.

I think having someone home to greet our kids has been a positive thing for them.

I mean if the parents are literally never there for the kids, can't ever get them if they're sick, aren't home til late, etc, yeah, I definitely agree. I don't think a couple hours after school is that devastating though. I always liked it, you have time by yourself. You get to start acting like an adult and dealing with things yourself, with much lower stakes
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I once shot myself in the head with a BB gun by accident and the police took me away and put me through like a week of psychiatric institution because they thought I was trying to kill myself

Not only was I an incredibly happy child at that age but I was certainly smart enough to realize killing yourself with a BB gun was a terrible idea (but not smart enough to factor in ricochets)
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My dad used me to guilt trip my mom...

My relationship with him is a lot better since he moved out.
    21stCentury on
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Organichu

I went through my collection and netflix queues and here is what I came up with in the general realm of serious recent-ish movies with action and thriller/espionage/crime/suspense elements:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Collateral
    Miami Vice
    Spartan
    Eastern Promises
    A History of Violence
    Spy Game
    The Town
    Michael Clayton
    Monument Avenue
    Dirty Pretty Things
    Croupier
    Layer Cake
    Sexy Beast

and this one is from out in left field but I saw it on my shelf and was like HOLY SHIT I HOPE CHU HAS SEEN THIS

Master and Commander

No Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

Sorry, but I hate it. The "gosh golly these undead are nice!" is a terrible way to subvert the trope. It ignores the lore of undead in Forgotten Realms and punishes players for following the roles they've chosen, only to have them later discover that they should have stuck to their guns and murdered the undead abominations just like they always do.

It's sort of a double fuck-you to anybody trying to play a good-aligned cleric that fits the setting. First you shit on them for subverting the lore and making them feel bad for their assumptions, then you shit on them again by revealing that naaah, they're terrible and you should totally kill them.

it's basically real life.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

I'm sorry but you just totally made me love the idea now :P.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    Chu

Watch Youth of the Beast, and then Branded to Kill
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    jacob, jacob in the [chat] thread

tell me,

which is the fairest TOS Star Trek movie of them all?

I mean Wrath of Khan is the only realistic choice

if you want an interesting discussion ask which one is second-best. There are strong arguments to be made for IV, VI, and the director's cut of I.

really?

you didn't like TUC then?

huh?

VI is The Undiscovered Country

I don't really like The Search for Spock or Final Frontier that much, although both have their moments. Kirk beating the crap out of the Klingon while screaming I - HAVE - HAD - ENOUGH - OF - YOU! is one of my favorite Kirk moments ever.
    Leaving NPCs alive is always just a bad decision in D&D.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    jake have you tried liking a good tv series like the vampire diaries
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Star Trek movies: whales or I feed
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ahh things I forget about with Japanese.

So 毛=ke is hair. So like the hair on your head is 髪の毛=kami no ke or hair on your head. But for your facial hair it is its own kanji, 髭=hige.So it still has the ke/ge in it but beards are so special they get their own letter.

This is Mazzy taking a break from Japanese class to teach you all.

edit: Eyebrows is the best though 眉毛=mayuge or man you gay.
    Mazzyx on
    falasig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

So 毛=ke is hair. So like the hair on your head is 髪の毛=kami no ke or hair on your head. But for your facial hair it is its own kanji, 髭=hige.So it still has the ke/ge in it but beards are so special they get their own letter.

PATRIARCHY!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Star Trek movies: whales or I feed

Did you know there was an idea for TNG to have whales on board the Enterprise to help them navigate?
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    While i'm not very successful and I think I have some leftover weirdness from it I was a latchkey kid from about 9 or 10 years old onward. I'd say it didn't hurt me though. I even enjoyed the sense of independence to a pretty large degree.
    DasUberEdward on
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Best is when my dad started blaming me for all his financial woes and having to pay child support. I was 15
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I was always happy when SFO was out for some reason.

come to think of it the kindergarten being closed always made me happy too. Freedom!
    xlh6c3.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Elementary school ended later than middle school, so for a few years I'd always get home later than my sis. She watched Sailor Moon, so it was on every day when I got home, and the episode would always be half over already. :(
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    To be fair, spool, I can leave a shortcut in where you just choose to slaughter all of the undead instead of help them.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'm sorry but you just totally made me love the idea now :P.

My only question is why I wouldn't agree with the undead people and let them make me undead.

Well, that and why the undead didn't develop a taste for human flesh sooner.
    Robos A Go Go on
    Mazzyx wrote: »

edit: Eyebrows is the best though 眉毛=mayuge or man you gay.

あたま かた ひざ あし

that's about as far as my Japanese anatomy made it.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Best is when my dad started blaming me for all his financial woes and having to pay child support. I was 15

In some cases child support is insane.

Like, with a 15 year old and the court still requiring the father to pay 25% of his income. You get a lot of situations where the ruling is punitive and the child doesn't benefit at all from that arrangement (especially with cohabitation).

Courts really do fuck some guys over, sometimes. Then you get a lot of whiney guys that bitch about having to support their kids for a few hundred dollars a month.
    Man, my parents were just dicks to other people, which I didn't realize until later in life.

And mostly just my mom.

But they were cool to me minus the normal teenager-fights-with-parents stuff.
    CASS

i hear that you quit the LoL

:( ?
    bowen wrote: »

Like, with a 15 year old and the court still requiring the father to pay 25% of his income. You get a lot of situations where the ruling is punitive and the child doesn't benefit at all from that arrangement (especially with cohabitation).

Courts really do fuck some guys over, sometimes. Then you get a lot of whiney guys that bitch about having to support their kids for a few hundred dollars a month.

Then you get guys like the baby daddy of a lady-I-work-with's kids whose child support is, like, $50/mo and he doesn't pay it.
    I see nothing wrong with being a latchkey kid. Like, oh no, I watched TV alone for two hours and had to make myself a snack before my mom got home?

As long as your parents can accommodate emergencies, you're fine, and they really don't happen often enough to make you quit your job? Just have a flexible one?

That was me too.. I mean, I was home for a few hours a day every day from age 10 I guess.

I think having someone home to greet our kids has been a positive thing for them.

I mean if the parents are literally never there for the kids, can't ever get them if they're sick, aren't home til late, etc, yeah, I definitely agree. I don't think a couple hours after school is that devastating though. I always liked it, you have time by yourself. You get to start acting like an adult and dealing with things yourself, with much lower stakes

Yeah it sort of reached a point where it was a relaxing "me time".
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    While i'm not very successful and I think I have some leftover weirdness from it I was a latchkey kid from about 9 or 10 years old onward. I'd say it didn't hurt me though. I even enjoyed the sense of independence to a pretty large degree.

Thing is, by 9 or 10, you're already capable of handling it, or your not. People don't seem to realize just how much "you" is there by 10; yeah, there's still a shitload you don't know, and plenty of time for teen shit to carve big chunks of your personality up, but the core personality is already there.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    bowen wrote: »

From what I remember it was something like $100 a week.
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    CASS

i hear that you quit the LoL

:( ?

I thought this was part of the cycle of LoL playing, something everyone does from time to time?

"Wow, LoL players are jerks."
    "Fuck it, I'm uninstalling."
    "Man, it's been ages since I've played LoL."
    "I miss it, I'll reinstall."

Repeat forever.
This discussion has been closed.