Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Everyday I wake up still breathing I've accomplished one of my life goals.
    Despite all the odds and to everyone else's disappointment you're still alive Dewie!
    Whoooo fuck yeah! Take that world!
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Now it's kinda fading to mostly grayscale and back to normal

This thing is dying

I shoulda sprung for two-day shipping
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I saw a PSA earlier that said Babby costs $10,000 a year.
    This can't possibly be true.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

like, good luck getting another job if you're still of breeding age ma'am

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

that seems a bit excessive

What does?

Having one parent ALWAYS on call.

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

It's a reasonable decision to make.

Because throwing away an entire person's income is a hell of a lot of money?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

Doing things only because you need to is not the optimal mode for childrearing.

and if neither parent earns enough to carry the family on their own?

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Reduce expense, or choose a solution that is less than optimal. Parenting is all about where you're going to compromise and what you're willing to sacrifice.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Can Will still do stuff manually?

Or has he relied on geth as a crutch for so long his mod muscles have atrophied?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Someone has been DoSing EA's Battlefield 3 servers for 5 days now, just for shits and giggles apparently. I hate people.
    h1DI1.jpg
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

I know several people who quit working because their job barely made enough money to cover the cost of daycare.

A buddie's wife did exactly this. They spent her entire check on day care every month. So she quit and took care of the kid. Unfortunately, the problem arose that when the kiddo went to school and no longer needed day care she didn't care to go back to work. This caused some tension.

even this being the case it's better to do that than have a 5+ year gap in your employment history

It's not exactly sensible to go back to work after the child is in school anyhow. Kids need things frequently - having one parent be on call for the kid emergencies while the other one can reliably work is a good model.

What does?

Why? You're always on call for the first 16 years or so anyway. With the added bonuses of having a parent at home to manage homework and otherwise raise the kids from 3PM until bedtime, why not dedicate that + the inevitable daytime emergencies (small and large) to one parent?

The benefits are longterm. All things being equal, it seems to be better for kids if one parent stays at home to raise them through to high school at least.

no I'm saying the benefits look very small to me

I mean, for most of the time the one parent is just sitting at home being on call, the child isn't even there!

For a single child, perhaps a little bit. Running a household is really not just sitting on your thumbs waiting for the phone to ring, dude.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Like, that's straight up offensive to suggest Abdhy. I hope I'm reading that wrong.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Is the 'using an open wireless network' something normal people even vaguely care about?

Like not huge amounts of torrenting, or camping outside a house with your laptop but just temporary normal usage?

It's one of those things that's technically illegal, arguably unethical, and no one cares about unless something goes way wrong.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    My mom went back to work when I was 8, but my older brothers took on parenting duties (even when they really shouldn't have)
    He is now Vichy Will

is this the point at which the down-trodden slaves form an enclosing ring around the enforcer who no longer has a gun?

I dunno but all I'm saying is I like his shoes...
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    A pretty common arrangement here is for both parents to work part time at about 2/3rds normal hours spread over 3 or 4 days.

Cuts down the amount of paid childcare required, less of an income hit than just having one parent unemployed, and both parents get to actually spend time with their kids.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    the idea of having a parent always on call when i'm 10- let alone 14 or 16- is bonkers to me. i did shit myself and i was fine.

most the people i've seen who effectivly raised themselves did not turn out well...

it's not a trick everyone can pull off, i mean kudos on you for doing it but as you can see from your own brothers not everyone can find their way in life without guidance
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Posting on the PA Report is an odd experience. It has both the bottom-dwellers of the internet who post comments and people from this forum intermixing in an odd way.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular

So you've accomplished a hell of a lot
    I couldn't even manage to avoid being homeless so

good for you

That isn't your fault. Don't approach that as something you failed to do. There's a lot of luck involved in not being homeless more than bootstraps, despite what Republicans would have you believe.

Being homeless isn't a personal failing at all. I'd say "not getting help" is, but only so far as "you really should get help if you need it, don't try to lift a car by yourself." I wouldn't use it as an attack.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

Reduce expense, or choose a solution that is less than optimal. Parenting is all about where you're going to compromise and what you're willing to sacrifice.

thinking about my own upbringing, the only benefit to having mom or dad home all day would be... that they wouldn't have to take the day off if I had to go to the ER again because I split my head open, again, or something

between mornings and 16:00 I didn't really need parents since, I dunno, 8
    xlh6c3.png
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcRU0Op5P4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22441124
    Three young women disappeared in Cleveland. Media coverage of their cases illustrates stereotypes about race.

Charles Ramsey heard someone screaming in a nearby house. Luckily, he managed to help the woman, Amanda Berry, who was in distress.

Because of his efforts, she, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight escaped from the house in Cleveland where they were held captive for a decade or more.

"I knew something was wrong when a little, pretty white girl ran into a black man's arms," Ramsey said later.

"Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway."

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Also can parents not be "on call" while at work or is this another instance of inadequate worker protections in the US?
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    the idea of having a parent always on call when i'm 10- let alone 14 or 16- is bonkers to me. i did shit myself and i was fine.

most the people i've seen who effectivly raised themselves did not turn out well...

it's not a trick everyone can pull off, i mean kudos on you for doing it but as you can see from your own brothers not everyone can find their way in life without guidance

Having a parent always on call and raising yourself is a false dichotomy.

My sister and I would be at home for about two hours after school before my parents got home. During that time we had to 1) make reasonable snack choices, 2) prepare said snack (usually no more difficult than "pour half a can of soda into a glass and open up the packet of fruit snacks"), 3) don't burn the fucking house down. It was no big deal.
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Hyperbole and a Half updated.

Prepare for feels.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

thinking about my own upbringing, the only benefit to having mom or dad home all day would be... that they wouldn't have to take the day off if I had to go to the ER again because I split my head open, again, or something

Mom all licking a napkin and wiping blood off your cheek while you're trying to raid villages.
    edited May 2013
    Like, that's straight up offensive to suggest Abdhy. I hope I'm reading that wrong.

I meant housekeeping as part of sitting at home, as in, not off at work or otherwise occupied since the laundry doesn't bitch at you if you leave for a sick kid.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I see nothing wrong with being a latchkey kid. Like, oh no, I watched TV alone for two hours and had to make myself a snack before my mom got home?

As long as your parents can accommodate emergencies, you're fine, and they really don't happen often enough to make you quit your job? Just have a flexible one?
    y2jake215 on
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Gosling wrote: »

Prepare for feels.

She really does have a way with story telling. She takes a terrible story and makes it comical while still making you share her experience with her.
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

The idea of leaving an 8yr old home alone to fend for himself is crazy to me.

Shit, I don't think it's even legal to leave a child home alone before age 13.
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    hmm

hyperbole and a half updated again which is good

but its about her struggle with depression and parts of it are a little too familiar right now D:

That post is serious like whoa ffffffffffffffffff

the new hyperbole and a half pretty much perfectly sums up my emotional state at the moment

not like, dead like I have been for the majority of the past 6 years, but angry and sad that I didn't really accomplish anything for most of my life since turning 18

I think anger and sadness is an improvement but Idk, maybe need meds. Mostly angry because men aren't supposed to be sad and that makes me mad

depression is really weird, when nearly homeless and no serious outlook for the future being anything but shitty retail jobs I felt nothing and now that I have a job with huge upward mobility potential for a great company and am relatively close to graduating college with a manageable (if high) amount of debt I feel miserable quite frequently

I don't mean to belittle or insult, and if you feel you're suffering from depression, you should seek some professional help, because they can help and all...

It's not about regretting the things you didn't accomplish, it's about focusing on the things you did. I put myself through college; sure my degree is worthless and never got me a job, but I got self-sufficient. I worked to pay my rent and bills. I met a girl, got married. My kids are awesome. Am I the superstar video game programmer I thought one day I'd be? Hell no; my job kinda blows most of the time. But at the end of the day, I still stand on my own two feet, and I take care of the shit that needs taking care of. And that's a pretty fucking big deal, when you really think about it.

So you've accomplished a hell of a lot
    I couldn't even manage to avoid being homeless so

good for you

Not gonna lie; that's a shitty situation. It happened.

Doesn't change the point we're making; you've gotta focus on the positive. It sounds like stupid self-help tripe, and it kinda is, but sometimes, yeah, you need to stop beating yourself up or you'll keep yourself down. I've never been homeless, thankfully, so while I can't know how bad that shit must have been to go through, my imaginary version of it is pretty terrifying on it's own.

I don't hang in [chat] nearly often enough to know, but I'm guessing you've recovered/are recovering from it, yeah? You're not posting from the streets, right? You've got nowhere to go but up, man!

Seriously, though, talk to a doctor. People (at least in the US) tend to not take mental health very seriously, we've got a stupid "get over it asshole" attitude, which is dumb as fuck when there are ways to get help. Suffering is not noble, and fuck the asshole who perpetrated that.
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | XBoxLive: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »

Prepare for feels.

Almost didn't recognize you without the Jade avatar!

Thanks for this, I love hyperboleandahalf. I laughed for about twenty minutes when I read the car trip story.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    It's not about regretting the things you didn't accomplish, it's about focusing on the things you did. I put myself through college; sure my degree is worthless and never got me a job, but I got self-sufficient. I worked to pay my rent and bills. I met a girl, got married. My kids are awesome. Am I the superstar video game programmer I thought one day I'd be? Hell no; my job kinda blows most of the time. But at the end of the day, I still stand on my own two feet, and I take care of the shit that needs taking care of. And that's a pretty fucking big deal, when you really think about it.
    i've accomplished none of that

It was just my example; some people wouldn't consider them accomplishments at all. What have you accomplished? Probably more than you think!

Before I started college in 2009 I accomplished staying alive, I guess?

and that's literally only because it's hard for a white guy to die of starvation in America, a neighbor took me in in exchange for me handing over my unemployment checks.

basically up to this point I've been a massive burden on society and am only starting to turn that around

I used to be on anti depressants in highschool but they don't just give free meds and therapy to adults as far as I'm aware, and I'm still paying down my denist bill
    override367 on
    japan wrote: »
    Also can parents not be "on call" while at work or is this another instance of inadequate worker protections in the US?

yeah that might be a disconnect here, since whenever we needed one of the parents to come around they could without problem
    xlh6c3.png

You can take time off sometimes. Do it enough and you'll use up your sick days and start losing money. Do it a lot or for a long stretch without planning for the absence first and you might get fired.

I mean... I could not take a week off my job without notice to care for a child with the flu. Someone has to keep all this shit running.

Different culture.

I started staying home by myself at probably 11, but only for school and being sick. Once I was 14 or so I started to elect to stay home instead of going shopping, or out to dinner.

Told my parents to just grab me a pizza and rent me a video game instead of going out with their friends for an hour and a half.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    For my Neverwinter questline I was thinking of doing a scorpion and frog sort of thing.

You find an army of undead trapped under Neverwinter, but you end up finding out they're sentient and friendly pacifists. Eventually they convince you to free them and kill the undead hunters who are wrongly persecuting them. After you do, though, they realize that the flesh of the living seems awfully delicious, and maybe, you know, it'd be better if everyone was just undead anyway. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dying, etc.

So then you have to scramble to undo everything you just did and trap them underground forever before they overthrow Neverwinter.

Overdone, or should I go with it?
    vspgsp.jpg

yeah that might be a disconnect here, since whenever we needed one of the parents to come around they could without problem

I've never worked anywhere where, "Hey, my kid is sick/injured/whatever," wasn't a valid excuse to leave work early... but I also have never had a truly shitty job.

And a lot of people here have truly shitty jobs.
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    Spool32
    sirlandshark
    skippydumptruck

What does?

It really isn't. If child services found out they would definitely take the kids.
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
    oh now I got reminded of that time when I was home from school throwing up

and I was feeling so shitty and I knew I needed to eat something but I couldn't keep anything down

while I was contemplating my fate of dying while watching ricky lake, too weak to change the channel, my dad came by with white bread and coke

which are two things I've never not been able to eat no matter how nauseous

and it saved the day
    xlh6c3.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

You can take time off sometimes. Do it enough and you'll use up your sick days and start losing money. Do it a lot or for a long stretch without planning for the absence first and you might get fired.

I mean... I could not take a week off my job without notice to care for a child with the flu. Someone has to keep all this shit running.

it's weird, in my white collar office job I could take a week off if I had a good reason (or even just gave enough notice) without a problem

I lost a minimum wage job for being sick one day in 11 months, and then they fought me tooth and nail on the unemployment saying I abandoned my job because I refused to go to the ER so I must not have been that sick
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

I don't see the problem though when worst case scenario for having a job and taking time off to deal with kid stuff is exactly what you're advocating to do
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

i mean that's kind of overstating the case i'm making- i'm not saying i 'raised myself'. i had some parental guidance, in that there were adults in my home and they wouldn't be ok with me spending all night on the corner slanging product or turning my house into a rape-torture menagerie. it'd be great to have had some more successful parents who could have instilled things like a love for education, knowledge about careers, propriety, etc

i just mean the everyday stuff- the mechanical things, cooking meals and doing laundry and walking home from school or whatever.

it's possible to have an independent childhood without it being anarchy.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    For my Neverwinter questline I was thinking of doing a scorpion and frog sort of thing.

You find an army of undead trapped under Neverwinter, but you end up finding out they're sentient and friendly pacifists. Eventually they convince you to free them and kill the undead hunters who are wrongly persecuting them. After you do, though, they realize that the flesh of the living seems awfully delicious, and maybe, you know, it'd be better if everyone was just undead anyway. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dying, etc.

So then you have to scramble to undo everything you just did and trap them underground forever before they overthrow Neverwinter.

Overdone, or should I go with it?

I like it.
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with being a latchkey kid. Like, oh no, I watched TV alone for two hours and had to make myself a snack before my mom got home?

As long as your parents can accommodate emergencies, you're fine, and they really don't happen often enough to make you quit your job? Just have a flexible one?

That was me too.. I mean, I was home for a few hours a day every day from age 10 I guess.

I think having someone home to greet our kids has been a positive thing for them.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    growup4.png
    jBEKRTH.png
This discussion has been closed.