Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    I loved raiding

I didn't love everything that went into maintaining a raiding guild
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Wildstar what?

Also seconding the sentiment that 10 people is the best raid size

you should check it out. I think it seems like something you would like.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    I am 2 fat for clothes QQQQQ
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    21st, lizard people aren't interested in human relationships anyways.
    We'd never suspect you.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    mim how big is sarksus' dick

its ok we're friends here the secret won't get out
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My luck never runs out. Except when I am murdered and someone is impersonating me.

Except that we like him more, and by thinking it's you, therefore like you more.

Sounds pretty lucky to me.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I don't actually know what I'm doing in the GoT thread anymore.
    network_sig2.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh I think you would appreciate this:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7247-Star-Trek

especially the line:
    The hostile aliens all look like growly reptile monsters so, although they're obviously sentient, the peace-loving Federation is cool with you slaughtering them en masse. Should have gone for bipeds with autumnal skin tones evolution!

i would pay good money to see a Star Trek: TNG Reboot starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Wesley Crusher...

Aside from that, i don't like Ben Croshaw very much anymore.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Just finished Perfect Dark

what a miserable game

I regret the moment I put it in my N64, just as I thought I would
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I loved raiding

Yeah. I ended up in charge of recruiting. I loved going into Sunwell. I hated hunting for Shamans. The cross server transfer stuff was a blessing and a curse.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My luck never runs out. Except when I am murdered and someone is impersonating me.

Except that we like him more, and by thinking it's you, therefore like you more.

Sounds pretty lucky to me.

Also Sarksus is a powerful warp entity who cannot be truly killed so long as Tzeentch wills it and warpspace allows him to persist.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Wildstar what?

10 man was fun in Kara, I will admit...

But to me there's nothing as cool as the huge group. There was some magic to it, being part of that large group of folks taking down some big mob in a big scary dungeon.

I dunno.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I loved raiding

Yeah. I ended up in charge of recruiting. I loved going into Sunwell. I hated hunting for Shamans. The cross server transfer stuff was a blessing and a curse.

How hard is to find someone with Grid, Clique, and the ability to bind LeftMouse to Chain Heal and 1 through = to Hero?
    network_sig2.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    mim how big is sarksus' dick

its ok we're friends here the secret won't get out

Fun-size

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Hmm...tanking TK on the robot boss. Solo tanking it because he couldn't knock me off the top of his threat list.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    raiding in wow was fun at first but became quickly tedious

like, ragnaros and ony and bwl were so freakin rad the first 5? 10 times?

after that it was just a big drag
    919UOwT.png
    the goodness of any group content in an MMO is inversely proportional to the time between deciding "I would like to run that group content with some people" and the time you actually start.

Needing to plan days in advance with unreliable humans, or even worse needing to schedule ones free time around an MMO, is instant fail mode.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Who would win in a fight, Pre-crisis Rocky Balboa or Pre-crisis Superman?
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Wildstar what?

I have checked it out

I was just wondering if there was any new stuff fr check-out-er-y
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Wildstar what?

Some of my fondest EQ memories are 70-man pick-up dragon raids. Hyperbole aside...

10 people isn't a "raid." It's just a plus-size group when it comes to encounter mechanics. I liked 25-mans because they had the same sense of chaos and coordination as a 40-man but didn't just need ten more healers and five more DPS. I still liked 40-man raids but the biggest issue there was that not every role scales and it pigeonholes player choices. Also, getting 40 people to sit down for several uninterrupted hours is like herding cats.

The real question is whether or not end-game MMO content should require large raids (25 or 40 or 70 or whatever) in order to complete it and acquire the best gear. I think there are viable ways to make the same content accessible to smaller groups (maybe 12 or 15 or 18) without substantially limiting your options for encounter mechanics. A crude way to do it would have the down-tuned encounters just have lower drop rates of the exact same gear, but you could do something more interesting and less grindy than that. Maybe still have 1 or 2 big-raid-only encounters to make them worth jumping in on when you can, even if you almost exclusively do 10-mans with your guild.
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
    I think the only good raid size is 108 man raids.
    Hmm...tanking TK on the robot boss. Solo tanking it because he couldn't knock me off the top of his threat list.

We were talking about WoW classes that were fun to level yesterday. I would deffo rank 2.0/3.0 Affliction warlock and Prot pally as my most fun leveling experiences. The former for Infinite Motion Machine grinding, and the latter for pull-as-many-mobs-as-possible-oh-god-yes-i-feed-on-their-souls-as-they-die-on-my-shield.
    network_sig2.png
    the very idea of "drop rates" is pretty disgusting
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I loved raiding

How hard is to find someone with Grid, Clique, and the ability to bind LeftMouse to Chain Heal and 1 through = to Hero?

See...you'd think that would be the problem. But there was a shortage of Alliance Shamans. So finding one who wasn't a drama bomb with insane demands and could do the above was an issue. And then gearing them. Forget finding a shaman keyed for Sunwell and geared for it, that wasn't gonna happen.
    the goodness of any group content in an MMO is inversely proportional to the time between deciding "I would like to run that group content with some people" and the time you actually start.

Needing to plan days in advance with unreliable humans, or even worse needing to schedule ones free time around an MMO, is instant fail mode.

I disagree

I enjoy scheduling my free time

keeps it from being all of the boring
    that being said, in wow i played rogue and i loved every second of pvp
    919UOwT.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    no jobs anywhere look good

going to live in texas forever

going to burn to a crisp

Me too. :(

I'm relishing the cooler temperatures while we have them.

Because June -> September is just going to be hell.

you get out of here melkster you don't even live in austin as far as I have been able to confirm
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    also I'm real curious about how the Wall works.

It's built by magic. Okay.

So I assume it's also kept there by magic.

Because one, if it snowed enough and was cold enough for the snows never to fully melt, the whole place would already be a glacier. So magic has to keep it from melting.

and two, being a 700 foot tall mound of ice, it's a very long glacier put on its side. It should be flat by now. So magic keeps it standing.

but apparently it can both melt and break apart.
    xlh6c3.png
    Gooey wrote: »
    raiding in wow was fun at first but became quickly tedious

like, ragnaros and ony and bwl were so freakin rad the first 5? 10 times?

after that it was just a big drag

I loved BWL. We were early adopters of using consecration as a threat speed bump. Loved the final fight. Stand by the entrances, grab the mobs just long enough for AOE to finish them off.
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I am 2 fat for clothes QQQQQ

have you tried using trash bags to cover your vile husk
    919UOwT.png
    Wildstar what?

Some of my fondest EQ memories are 70-man pick-up dragon raids. Hyperbole aside...

10 people isn't a "raid." It's just a plus-size group when it comes to encounter mechanics. I liked 25-mans because they had the same sense of chaos and coordination as a 40-man but didn't just need ten more healers and five more DPS. I still liked 40-man raids but the biggest issue there was that not every role scales and it pigeonholes player choices. Also, getting 40 people to sit down for several uninterrupted hours is like herding cats.

The real question is whether or not end-game MMO content should require large raids (25 or 40 or 70 or whatever) in order to complete it and acquire the best gear. I think there are viable ways to make the same content accessible to smaller groups (maybe 12 or 15 or 18) without substantially limiting your options for encounter mechanics. A crude way to do it would have the down-tuned encounters just have lower drop rates of the exact same gear, but you could do something more interesting and less grindy than that. Maybe still have 1 or 2 big-raid-only encounters to make them worth jumping in on when you can, even if you almost exclusively do 10-mans with your guild.

Nah

Because if I'm not doing something with people I already know (at the least from intertron forums) I'm not doing it.

And it can get difficult to really know 40+ people all playing the same game
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Wildstar what?

I have checked it out

I was just wondering if there was any new stuff fr check-out-er-y

Stress test and more CB testing invite waves soon.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Cass I don't know if I can deal with you and Mim changing your avatar today. I can only take so much.

Also I have always known you as that pink-haired lady.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular

We were talking about WoW classes that were fun to level yesterday. I would deffo rank 2.0/3.0 Affliction warlock and Prot pally as my most fun leveling experiences. The former for Infinite Motion Machine grinding, and the latter for pull-as-many-mobs-as-possible-oh-god-yes-i-feed-on-their-souls-as-they-die-on-my-shield.

I've been enjoying my Ele shaman.

chain lightning + that talent that makes your chain lightnings cast another chain lightning sometimes + your glyph that lets chain lightning bounce 2 more times == Emperor Palpatine-style constant lightning everywhere
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Wildstar what?

Nah

Because if I'm not doing something with people I already know (at the least from intertron forums) I'm not doing it.

And it can get difficult to really know 40+ people all playing the same game

Yeah I simply don't enjoy playing with people I don't know, at least not nearly as much as with people I already know and like.

And I play games to enjoy myself, so...
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Those were actually my favourite classes (warlock more so)

There's just something about the attrition based fighting that I liked.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I tried to play wow with elldren and james and some others

but it was too boring so I stopped

I can't even remember what my guy was, maybe a warlock gnome
    I loved raiding

See...you'd think that would be the problem. But there was a shortage of Alliance Shamans. So finding one who wasn't a drama bomb with insane demands and could do the above was an issue. And then gearing them. Forget finding a shaman keyed for Sunwell and geared for it, that wasn't gonna happen.

It was much easier to find Horde paladins post-BC

because blood elves are pretty
This discussion has been closed.