Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The only thing about "alternate" history you need to know is that changing anything probably would make shit even worst.\
    Oh look guys, I killed Hitler.
    Oh look suddenly western europe is a nuclear wasteland
    What the fuck happened there guys?
    Oh wait you're all dead.
    POOORRRRRR QUEEEEEEEEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IKioDLEh8
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    There is a small, but very much nonzero, risk of serious complications. And having had chicken pox as a kid makes you far more likely to get Shingles as an adult which really sucks.

I thought that the opposite was true.

no, if you've had the chicken pox you are at risk for shingles

shingles apparently really really sucks
    919UOwT.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    another thought, without the American Revolution I doubt the French would have turned out the same way. Or maybe happened at all. And so you might not get Napoleon and without him you don't get 1870 and without that you don't get WW1 and therefore no WW2.

You also get an England that has full control of America and all the resources it has to offer.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    the villain in skyfall was sort of ambiguous

That scene was great, too.

it was a real "whole theatre reacts" movie at times

that was the first one when everyone laughed

second was when he pulled the sheet of the aston and everyone was like "aaaaaah"
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Butts

and I cannot lie

last.jpg
    919UOwT.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Isn't that the plot of the new Wolfenstein game? Robo Hitler in the 1960s?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    There is a small, but very much nonzero, risk of serious complications. And having had chicken pox as a kid makes you far more likely to get Shingles as an adult which really sucks.

my wife had a mild case of Shingles last year and that sucked enough. Super painful. But at least in her case it went away after a week.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

Chicken pox as an adult really sucks, too.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The only thing about "alternate" history you need to know is that changing anything probably would make shit even worst.\
    Oh look guys, I killed Hitler.
    Oh look suddenly western europe is a nuclear wasteland
    What the fuck happened there guys?
    Oh wait you're all dead.
    POOORRRRRR QUEEEEEEEEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IKioDLEh8

I was just going to post this but I only found the toaster scene.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    if I wanted to take the edges off my post, I wouldn't post, and if people get cut on the edges of my posts they ignored the clearly denoted warning signs

also I wasn't being super serial I just wanted to make a hippie joke, it's more of a ritual than anything.

Timothy says something to me, I respond and add a dirty hippie joke.

Something something the south
    eokNV.jpg
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    guys

that exam

where were the questions on the things I studied?
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    another thought, without the American Revolution I doubt the French would have turned out the same way. Or maybe happened at all. And so you might not get Napoleon and without him you don't get 1870 and without that you don't get WW1 and therefore no WW2.

Since the French Revolution made Thomas Paine rethink that whole "God put me here to free mankind" bullshit, I imagine that a bloodier end in the US would've stopped that right up. It probably would have been a period of civil unrest, but I doubt it would have been the kind of horror that history saw.

Alternate history is kind of fun.

Especially when delivered in the form of Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis, or the various other high strategy and global politics sims.

And somehow Alternate-History Gandhi always turns out to be a dick.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    if I wanted to take the edges off my post, I wouldn't post, and if people get cut on the edges of my posts they ignored the clearly denoted warning signs

also I wasn't being super serial I just wanted to make a hippie joke, it's more of a ritual than anything.

and then I agree with you and continue to wonder why people think I am anything more than a prisoner
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular

fucking dirty hippies grumble grumble.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Since the French Revolution made Thomas Paine rethink that whole "God put me here to free mankind" bullshit, I imagine that a bloodier end in the US would've stopped that right up. It probably would have been a period of civil unrest, but I doubt it would have been the kind of horror that history saw.

Alternate history is kind of fun.

Especially when delivered in the form of Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis, or the various other high strategy and global politics sims.

And somehow Alternate-History Gandhi always turns out to be a dick.

If Gandhi gets the Bomb, your screwed.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I have been arguing with a friend about the american revolution for the last hour. Their train of thought has no logical connections and they are unable to respond to any point I make. Why am I doing this to myself? This is a person who is otherwise intelligent so I have this weird hope that eventually a light will turn on and they will see that they are not making any sense.

The crux of their whole argument is that the american revolution was one of the greatest things to ever happen in modern history. If it wasn't immigrants would have never came to America and WWII would have been lost.

There is such a poor grasp of history there and yet such a strong conviction that she's right. Then again I have to remind myself that this is the same person who said that Japanese internment camps made sense and couldn't understand why an entire room of people were in awe at her comment.

Assuming that history plays out the same way to make WWII happen....Germany still loses the war. The fundamental thing to remember about dealing with WWII counterfactuals is Germany picked a fight it just could not win. Removing Lend-Lease, removing American troops only changes how long it takes for the Soviets to win. And likely leads to a massive slaughter of German civilians.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    man, now I want to watch The Prisoner. Why isn't that in Netflix.

Also, Lud is totally the worst #2.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

dirty hippies always fucking grumble grumble.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).

dirty hippies always fucking grumble grumble.

you just need to offer them a big hunk of meat and they'll disappear.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    @ponuy @dread pirate arbuthnot hoddamnef gad men knocked out goddamn internet for the block apparently. have complained, hopefully it will be foxed soon.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i'm more interested in the seemingly inconsequential events that changed history forever.

like the assassin who sneezed near a guard.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    the fuck is a hoddamnef gad men
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I do not like fried wings

I like them baked
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I had a case of shingles last year.

I used it to repair my roof.

Actually I have a metal roof.
    I do not like fried wings

I like them baked

Both can be good. A true wing aficionado does not harden his heart to any one wing cooking method, but embraces all successful attempts.

despite some disturbing talk of "raids" (even, *shudder*, 40 man raids) - which to me are hell incarnate - I am hell of looking forward to this game.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @pony @dread pirate arbuthnot hoddamnef gad men knocked out goddamn internet for the block apparently. have complained, hopefully it will be foxed soon.

oh no the black helicopters have come to claim jacob
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Going to the store. Gonna buy so many white people clothes
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ponuy "dread pirate arbuthnot" hoddamnef gad men knocked out goddamn internet for the block apparently. have complained, hopefully it will be foxed soon.

On a scale from one to face down and laughing, how drunk are you

despite some disturbing talk of "raids" (even, *shudder*, 40 man raids) - which to me are hell incarnate - I am hell of looking forward to this game.

Thank god they aren't necessary to enjoy endgame, especially when you have stuff like Warplots.

We'll run probably smaller raids as a PA guild in order to capture raid bosses for use in our Warplot's defense system.

Thank god they aren't necessary to enjoy endgame, especially when you have stuff like Warplots.

We'll run probably smaller raids as a PA guild in order to capture raid bosses for use in our Warplot's defense system.

so how far along are these guys? I don't remember getting a newsletter from them lately.
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Going to the store. Gonna buy so many white people clothes

Khakis and polo shirts ahoy!
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Ok [chat] real talk

I've been having some disturbing thoughts lately. I don't know what's brought them on and it's making me kind of scared. It's been years since anything like this has crossed my mind and I thought I was past that stage, and that I was comfortable with who I am, but now I just don't know. I don't really have anyone else to turn to, so

here goes. *takes a deep breath*

I've been thinking about cutting my hair. y/n?
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I did 40 man raids, I did the 25 man raids and I did the 10 man raids in WoW and looking back on it, I think 10 was the sweet spot. It was large enough to have interesting mechanics, not too big to coordinate, and having competing speed runs on Kara was a blast.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Ok [chat] real talk

I've been having some disturbing thoughts lately. I don't know what's brought them on and it's making me kind of scared. It's been years since anything like this has crossed my mind and I thought I was past that stage, and that I was comfortable with who I am, but now I just don't know. I don't really have anyone else to turn to, so

Join the club! We're all going to shave our heads soon. It's gonna be a thing. :D
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    watching a doc on a trio of base jumpers jumping into this thing

213613201151.jpg

I wonder if base jumping tourism brings in more than we spend on rescuing base jumpers.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ok [chat] real talk

Later today, you and me. Head shave time!

Edit: And Raven, yay!
    Mortious on
This discussion has been closed.