Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    think i'm gonna pull the trigger on a new imac

they're pretty sweet

im not up on the current mac vs pc debate, so whats the big draw for imacs these days?

they are slim and sexy and run os x

The top of the line one also has a pretty baller GPU, the fusion drive is a pretty neat idea (which is a lot like hybrid SSDs but rather different in execution), and DAT SCREEN.

Also, they last a long time without complaints. My 2010 model still plays every game I throw at it on near-high settings at 1080p, and the 32 gigs of RAM mean I never have to close anything unless I want to.

So here's the one I'm getting:

• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    • 3TB Fusion Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

also gonna put a win8 partition on it in case i want to play windows-only games

THIS IS GOING TO COST $3,000!

about that, yeah.

i considered doing the retina mbp instead, but i just don't have that much of a need for a mac laptop right now. i have to haul my company laptop with me on business travel anyways.

Also, the Retina MBP, especially the 13" but also the 15", is in a weird place where the GPU struggles to keep up with the full weight of a graphics-heavy application.

It is a classic example of Apple Revision 1 products not being optimal. 2-3 generations from now it will be the flagship product they want it to be.

yeah i was thinking the exact same thing. the retina display is, i'm sure, taxing as hell on whatever gfx card they have in the thing for anything but the tamest applications. and running in non-native defeats the whole point.

i actually had similar concerns about the new imac being the first-gen redesign, but all the reviews i read said that it had no real engineering problems.

Yeah, the redesign didn't really do anything different aside from nuke the DVD drive, remove all the dead space inside, and laminate the screen.

There are no new hardware considerations that would mess up the balance of power / performance like there was with the retina MBPs.

I personally think the 13" rMBP was a huge mistake on their part; its kind of a crap product.

i've only even seen the 15" and haven't gotten to play with it. i can definitely see how the 13" could go wrong.

i'd probably love retina support for coding, since real estate is super-important. i'd hate to spend all that money on a machine that chokes under its own load for basic gfx tasks tho
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Or favorite pose? C'mon, yoga [chat]!

Couch potato
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my lenovo yoga

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

1: If you like OSX, there is a value in it.

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

so you're taking a loss of the price tag of my laptop

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

Macs hold their pricetag much longer.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

Abdhyius wrote: »
    websites are newfangled bullshit

I put my shit up on the church door

i tried that and apparently it's considered a hate crime around here

thanks, obama
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'm quite fond of brunettes of the french variety myself

I bet that hairstyle has a name

although it's possibly just "french" since like, all of them have it

*headscratch*
    Not two of the Frenchies I know have the same haircut.
    Maybe I'll know after having been to Paris later this month.

well in paris it will be very crowded with foreigners.

When I went to angers I noted that french brunettes really tend to have a similar hair style. And a similar kind of brown hair.
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

i don't know why this conversation always has to turn nasty

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm not a fan of yoga but i am a fan of ladies doing yoga
    Per3th.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Or favorite pose? C'mon, yoga [chat]!

Pigeon pose. Hurts so good, man
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Organichu wrote: »
    though getting a mba made me never want another desktop

i mean, unless of course i end up being a huge game fanatic again or something, which i don't see as likely, or i do work that calls for crazy power

i will probably just rock thin, light laptops 5ever

I did this too a while back. What's great about the laptop, portability aside, is that it forces you to let go of 700GB file collections and having 8 hard drives. You feel obligated to keep them all backed up but you don't, which creates stress, especially when something dies. A laptop isn't going to run all your games perfectly, so you just tend to install less stuff on it. It isn't always on, so you don't do always on stuff that runs in the background like Folding@Home or file servers or whatever. It can't hold multiple hard drives so you don't keep much on it and it's easy to back up. You streamline your computing existence.

It was really great but after a while I did start to miss being able to just run a game on high settings and have it go at 60FPS without stuttering constantly or ramping up the fans to jet takeoff levels. Or encode a video in less than 10 hours. Or store a couple 1080p movies for later.

After a few years of streamlining, I was ready to start reintroducing things. I started with a gaming PC. Just something that has one small hard drive, a good graphics card and that's about it. It runs nothing important, it lives in my bedroom so I like it shut off, all the way off, when not in use. This is actually great. It could die any time, who gives a shit, it's not backed up. It's a nice thing that I have, not an integral part of my life but it plays games like a baws.

Next I went with a NAS. This is the device that replaces the storage aspect of the big-old-monster desktop tower, but with way lower power draw and much safer redundant disks. Plus it's tiny. You tuck it in a closet with your router and never think about it again. Your laptop backs up to it (time machine 8-) ), your ever-changing video collection goes there, as does any particularly large file that with a laptop you'd have to put on an external drive. It's important not to become obsessive with it. If you store videos on it, go in there and throw away the ones you don't watch every once in a while the same way you might clean out a closet. My NAS runs a VPN so I can access it anywhere. It's like a huge fault-tolerant external hard drive for my laptop that lives out in the ether. Serves movies to the TV too!

Next I bought a server but that is because I'm a nerd. It does nothing to simplify my life and I wouldn't suggest most people do that. But since it goes along with the rest of my modular shit, I don't need to worry about maintaining anything or backing anything up. It doesn't weigh me down.

Of course all this shit is expensive too, but something to think about. I'm p happy with the way I've thrown out the parts about computer ownership that I hate but kept all the good stuff.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
    that's true but it has nothing to do with build quality, it has to do with blind consumer loyalty

which is a plus for reselling it later I suppose
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Why can't I have a sexy accent

I don't think boston accent qualifies for sexy anywhere on the planet
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    oh, before i go

shivahn

i have started work on getting my abs back after i horrified myself with the amount of titty shake i am capible of

i did like 30 situps (SHUT UP IT'S A START) and 10 pushups (ok yes that's pathetic)

so i can see this summer i have a mountain to climb to meet out 6 month abs time table

First of all

I am capable of more titty shake than you, so don't feel bad :P

Secondly yay! It doesn't matter how little you're doing, the fact that you're starting is important. Once you're in a habit of doing stuff like that it's all downhill.

So yes. Yay.

yes...

but you want the titty shake, i don't

i wish there was a way to donate my titty shake to you but alas there is not

This is why we need to develop technologies for body part markets.

The trans community would be so happy.

you can have my titty shake and i'll take your ability to grow facial hair

Haha

My uh

My facial hair is slightly damaged >.>

i'll take what i can get

90% of a fabulous red rainbow is still pretty good.

wait

no one said anything about red

Why do you think I have to get electro instead of laser?

>.>

ah

nvm

: (

i'm gonna look dum with brown hair and a red beard!

Well

I am a girl with brown hair and a red beard. So it could be worse for you :P

Though actually it's not red, it's white and clear and red and orange and blonde and and and

Basically the electrologist is putting a rainbow into the electric chair.

girls having red hair is fine

that's the double standard, men get mocked but girls are "red heads"

Actually red headed girls are rated as less desirable in psych studies! FUN FACT OF THE DAY THAT ISN'T FUN AT ALL

But also girls with red beard hair is a different thing altogether, unfortunately ><

The thing is, any weird trait is going to make a person somewhat less desirable to most but much more desirable to some.

Of possible interest: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-mathematics-of-beauty/

As Podly said (probably not with your situation in mind but I think it stands) 'having a beard will disqualify you from dating some women, but with others it will let you punch way above your weight class.' In support of this, my friend is now living with his ridiculously awesome girlfriend (they have one beard between them).
    I guess I just don't parse red hair as a weird trait.

Also

well yeah, personally I don't feel like that applies to me, because my weird traits tend to disqualify me from fuckloads of people and a lot that it doesn't aren't... I'm not punching above my weight, I'm a fetish. Which is not what I want.

But anyway, generally I agree, it's just that some traits are so mundane that it's weird how they're treated.

Totally understandable. I was getting coffee with a French-American dude who said something like 'yeah, nobody sympathizes with my difficulty; women all think i'm attractive and good at design just because of the accent and it's difficult to actually interact on a human level sometimes'

Huh? I am not sure I get the similarity between that and my thing?
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Gin Blossoms just came on my Zune.

BACK IN THE 90s!

i saw them open for toad the wet sprocket back in like 1994

they were surprisingly assholeish for a band that tried really hard to project the whole "fun-loving, laid back vibe"
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

hmm

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

I am all "yay, macs are nice!"

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

It's the most bizarre nastiness. I wasn't shitting on what he likes at all.
    meat.jpg
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Where the fuck does the ginger hate come from? I only heard about on the internet (and cannot comprehend it).

As far as I can tell it's a South Park meme like 'ugh fucking hippies'.

AKA a useful indicator that someone has bad opinions and taste.

Ginger hate has been a thing 5ever.

Just not in america I guess? But most of the other colonies definitely.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

*headscratch*

When I went to angers I noted that french brunettes really tend to have a similar hair style. And a similar kind of brown hair.

Maybe you spotted some weird cult? :P
    ... Angers you say?
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Mother's Day's coming up, and my mom likes Italian shit.

Think I'll make her some Panna Cotta.
    Leitner wrote: »
    Where the fuck does the ginger hate come from? I only heard about on the internet (and cannot comprehend it).

Yeah it's not a thing in American culture so much.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't care about people's computer preferences one way or the other because why the shit would i
    Per3th.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Is the sleeve for the Lenovo Yoga called "the Pants"?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    y2jake215 wrote: »

AWWWW YAH, SHOVE IT IN ME, RIGHT THERHE, OH YAH

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

Sorry I didn't really mean to be a jerk
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

I hadn't even heard of it until South Park started making jokes.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

*headscratch*

Maybe you spotted some weird cult? :P
    ... Angers you say?

you're not allowed to go until my sister is safely gone.

then have at it.
    xlh6c3.png
    though getting a mba made me never want another desktop

i mean, unless of course i end up being a huge game fanatic again or something, which i don't see as likely, or i do work that calls for crazy power

i will probably just rock thin, light laptops 5ever

I did this too a while back. What's great about the laptop, portability aside, is that it forces you to let go of 700GB file collections and having 8 hard drives. You feel obligated to keep them all backed up but you don't, which creates stress, especially when something dies. A laptop isn't going to run all your games perfectly, so you just tend to install less stuff on it. It isn't always on, so you don't do always on stuff that runs in the background like Folding@Home or file servers or whatever. It can't hold multiple hard drives so you don't keep much on it and it's easy to back up. You streamline your computing existence.

It was really great but after a while I did start to miss being able to just run a game on high settings and have it go at 60FPS without stuttering constantly or ramping up the fans to jet takeoff levels. Or encode a video in less than 10 hours. Or store a couple 1080p movies for later.

After a few years of streamlining, I was ready to start reintroducing things. I started with a gaming PC. Just something that has one small hard drive, a good graphics card and that's about it. It runs nothing important, it lives in my bedroom so I like it shut off, all the way off, when not in use. This is actually great. It could die any time, who gives a shit, it's not backed up. It's a nice thing that I have, not an integral part of my life but it plays games like a baws.

Next I went with a NAS. This is the device that replaces the storage aspect of the big-old-monster desktop tower, but with way lower power draw and much safer redundant disks. Plus it's tiny. You tuck it in a closet with your router and never think about it again. Your laptop backs up to it (time machine 8-) ), your ever-changing video collection goes there, as does any particularly large file that with a laptop you'd have to put on an external drive. It's important not to become obsessive with it. If you store videos on it, go in there and throw away the ones you don't watch every once in a while the same way you might clean out a closet. My NAS runs a VPN so I can access it anywhere. It's like a huge fault-tolerant external hard drive for my laptop that lives out in the ether. Serves movies to the TV too!

Next I bought a server but that is because I'm a nerd. It does nothing to simplify my life and I wouldn't suggest most people do that. But since it goes along with the rest of my modular shit, I don't need to worry about maintaining anything or backing anything up. It doesn't weigh me down.

Of course all this shit is expensive too, but something to think about. I'm p happy with the way I've thrown out the parts about computer ownership that I hate but kept all the good stuff.

well yeah to be clear my opinion is largely informed by the supposition of modest dollars. with a greater income the stuff that i nominally care about less might break into my 'interested enough to spend it' threshold.

Me either.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    think i'm gonna pull the trigger on a new imac

they're pretty sweet

im not up on the current mac vs pc debate, so whats the big draw for imacs these days?

they are slim and sexy and run os x

The top of the line one also has a pretty baller GPU, the fusion drive is a pretty neat idea (which is a lot like hybrid SSDs but rather different in execution), and DAT SCREEN.

Also, they last a long time without complaints. My 2010 model still plays every game I throw at it on near-high settings at 1080p, and the 32 gigs of RAM mean I never have to close anything unless I want to.

So here's the one I'm getting:

• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.
    • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    • 3TB Fusion Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

also gonna put a win8 partition on it in case i want to play windows-only games

THIS IS GOING TO COST $3,000!

about that, yeah.

i considered doing the retina mbp instead, but i just don't have that much of a need for a mac laptop right now. i have to haul my company laptop with me on business travel anyways.

I've been considering an MBA, my little netbook doesn't quite chug as well as I want. I've been doing this hadoop training using my laptop all weekend and it failed out of a few jobs. That said it was a VM running on a little netbook so I guess it's expected for running big jobs but I was sad.

so every time i go to a non-defense-specific tech conference of any kind, the only thing i see is mbpros and mbairs. except for the defense people, who are hauling around their dell/ hp cinderblocks

like, that's how you can tell who is from what organization

lol, yup. I remember having to lug around old inspiron or if I needed something with some grunt having to drag around an m17x. The training I'm at right now about half of the machines are MBAs and there's one MBP.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Gin Blossoms just came on my Zune.

BACK IN THE 90s!

i saw them open for toad the wet sprocket back in like 1994

they were surprisingly assholeish for a band that tried really hard to project the whole "fun-loving, laid back vibe"

I saw them last year...
    >.>
    <.<
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

It is pure jealousy.

I fucking hate macs and also your face.

D:
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

Good thing I have so many other attractive qualities

>_>
    nobody look too hard just take my word for it
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

So, where's it from? Or is the reason already lost in time?
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnapeg4Igck
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    I saw gin blossoms perform when I was 16, I daresay it's the first concert I remember

I think my date and I were like the youngest people at the venue
    That red bike is bullshit and Jenny is a slut.

@Gooey
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I keep putting off getting a new PC.

I want one, but I know if I wait 6+months shit gets faster/cheaper/etc
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    First concert I went to was Lollapalooza 94.
    IM
    SO
    OLD
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

the difference seems to be the marketing.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?
    Eddy wrote: »
    I saw gin blossoms perform when I was 16, I daresay it's the first concert I remember

I think my date and I were like the youngest people at the venue

my earliest is either the decemberists or broken social scene

i think i was also 16ish
  • MimMim Registered User regular

Me either.

Same, so when simonwolf told me it was so prevalent in Australian society, I was shocked.
This discussion has been closed.