Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Gin Blossoms just came on my Zune.

BACK IN THE 90s!

i saw them open for toad the wet sprocket back in like 1994

they were surprisingly assholeish for a band that tried really hard to project the whole "fun-loving, laid back vibe"

What did they do?
    archer2.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Where the fuck does the ginger hate come from? I only heard about on the internet (and cannot comprehend it).

As far as I can tell it's a South Park meme like 'ugh fucking hippies'.

AKA a useful indicator that someone has bad opinions and taste.

Ginger hate has been a thing 5ever.

Just not in america I guess? But most of the other colonies definitely.

Yeah it's not a thing in American culture so much.

I hadn't even heard of it until South Park started making jokes.

Me either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

• y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I think my first concert was Ozzfest in 2001 or 2002
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my first concert was mozart's requiem

get on my level
    Per3th.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    cup of coffee. Hopefully it will alleviate boredom.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Why can't I have a sexy accent

I don't think boston accent qualifies for sexy anywhere on the planet

if you could bend it to the brahman/ kennedy/ mid-atlantic accent you would be up to your neck in ladyparts

outside boston i mean

in boston, people would probably call you a queeah
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my lenovo yoga

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

1: If you like OSX, there is a value in it.

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

so you're taking a loss of the price tag of my laptop

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

Macs hold their pricetag much longer.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

i don't know why this conversation always has to turn nasty

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

I am all "yay, macs are nice!"

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

It's the most bizarre nastiness. I wasn't shitting on what he likes at all.

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

the difference seems to be the marketing.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?

it feels similar to the anger that leads frumpy IT guys to regard all better looking people who wear nice fitting clothes hipsters :3

mm, that's good coffee.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    I think my first concert was Madam Butterfly.

• syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    think i'm gonna pull the trigger on a new imac

they're pretty sweet

im not up on the current mac vs pc debate, so whats the big draw for imacs these days?

they are slim and sexy and run os x

The top of the line one also has a pretty baller GPU, the fusion drive is a pretty neat idea (which is a lot like hybrid SSDs but rather different in execution), and DAT SCREEN.

Also, they last a long time without complaints. My 2010 model still plays every game I throw at it on near-high settings at 1080p, and the 32 gigs of RAM mean I never have to close anything unless I want to.

So here's the one I'm getting:

• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    • 3TB Fusion Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

also gonna put a win8 partition on it in case i want to play windows-only games

THIS IS GOING TO COST $3,000!

about that, yeah.

i considered doing the retina mbp instead, but i just don't have that much of a need for a mac laptop right now. i have to haul my company laptop with me on business travel anyways.

Also, the Retina MBP, especially the 13" but also the 15", is in a weird place where the GPU struggles to keep up with the full weight of a graphics-heavy application.

It is a classic example of Apple Revision 1 products not being optimal. 2-3 generations from now it will be the flagship product they want it to be.

yeah i was thinking the exact same thing. the retina display is, i'm sure, taxing as hell on whatever gfx card they have in the thing for anything but the tamest applications. and running in non-native defeats the whole point.

i actually had similar concerns about the new imac being the first-gen redesign, but all the reviews i read said that it had no real engineering problems.

Yeah, the redesign didn't really do anything different aside from nuke the DVD drive, remove all the dead space inside, and laminate the screen.

There are no new hardware considerations that would mess up the balance of power / performance like there was with the retina MBPs.

I personally think the 13" rMBP was a huge mistake on their part; its kind of a crap product.

i've only even seen the 15" and haven't gotten to play with it. i can definitely see how the 13" could go wrong.

i'd probably love retina support for coding, since real estate is super-important. i'd hate to spend all that money on a machine that chokes under its own load for basic gfx tasks tho

My dad has the 15", and he runs it at the approximation of 1920x1280 (resolutions aren't "real" on a retina display, rather the interface elements and font rendering grow or shrink as needed as it renders the full pixel size) - its pretty much the perfect size, and the screen is killer.

Its a shame that the GPU isn't QUITE there yet. I think whatever they pair with it this coming revision will possibly be enough.
    meat.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

they're pretty sweet

im not up on the current mac vs pc debate, so whats the big draw for imacs these days?

The top of the line one also has a pretty baller GPU, the fusion drive is a pretty neat idea (which is a lot like hybrid SSDs but rather different in execution), and DAT SCREEN.

Also, they last a long time without complaints. My 2010 model still plays every game I throw at it on near-high settings at 1080p, and the 32 gigs of RAM mean I never have to close anything unless I want to.

• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.
    • 3TB Fusion Drive

about that, yeah.

i considered doing the retina mbp instead, but i just don't have that much of a need for a mac laptop right now. i have to haul my company laptop with me on business travel anyways.

I've been considering an MBA, my little netbook doesn't quite chug as well as I want. I've been doing this hadoop training using my laptop all weekend and it failed out of a few jobs. That said it was a VM running on a little netbook so I guess it's expected for running big jobs but I was sad.

so every time i go to a non-defense-specific tech conference of any kind, the only thing i see is mbpros and mbairs. except for the defense people, who are hauling around their dell/ hp cinderblocks

like, that's how you can tell who is from what organization

lol, yup. I remember having to lug around old inspiron or if I needed something with some grunt having to drag around an m17x. The training I'm at right now about half of the machines are MBAs and there's one MBP.

I have a Lenovo T420 from work and whenever I'm at a customer site, I take make a little adhoc wifi network, join it with both the lenovo and my personal macbook air, shut the lenovo, stick it in my laptop bag, and remote into it from the MBA. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but having a light laptop and can grip in one hand and carry around and bring up on to factory scaffolding easily is the best. God, I hope we switch to some sort of ultrabook soon.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

they're pretty sweet

• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.
    • 3TB Fusion Drive

about that, yeah.

I've been considering an MBA, my little netbook doesn't quite chug as well as I want. I've been doing this hadoop training using my laptop all weekend and it failed out of a few jobs. That said it was a VM running on a little netbook so I guess it's expected for running big jobs but I was sad.

so every time i go to a non-defense-specific tech conference of any kind, the only thing i see is mbpros and mbairs. except for the defense people, who are hauling around their dell/ hp cinderblocks

like, that's how you can tell who is from what organization

lol, yup. I remember having to lug around old inspiron or if I needed something with some grunt having to drag around an m17x. The training I'm at right now about half of the machines are MBAs and there's one MBP.

I have a Lenovo T420 from work and whenever I'm at a customer site, I take make a little adhoc wifi network, join it with both the lenovo and my personal macbook air, shut the lenovo, stick it in my laptop bag, and remote into it from the MBA. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but having a light laptop and can grip in one hand and carry around and bring up on to factory scaffolding easily is the best. God, I hope we switch to some sort of ultrabook soon.

back when I had to do server closet nonsense, I would use my iPad 1 for it, along with a 30 pin to serial adapter and an SSH app.

It was da bes. When you have to squeeze behind rackmounts, you want as small a device as possible to get the job done.
    meat.jpg
    Where the fuck does the ginger hate come from? I only heard about on the internet (and cannot comprehend it).

we definitely imported it from you guys a few years ago

i lived outside london for a year when i was a kid. the fact that redheaded kids got made fun of was completely bizarre to me.

you guys were mean as shit to jews too. jesus. i'd never heard anything like it. it pinned my ears back.

also poor kids. the whole "gyppo" thing was just awful.

otoh, you guys were not nearly so mean to nerds or fatties as american kids were
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sleepy. And it is 7:30 P.M. :(. That is what I get for waking up at 4 A.M.
    Mim wrote: »
    I think my first concert was Madam Butterfly.
    okay that's roughly my level

good work
    Per3th.jpg

So, where's it from? Or is the reason already lost in time?

probably because gingers are assumed to be irish or scottish

and in england, irish or scottish are assumed to be scum
    i never have gone to a rock concert tho

i wanna go to a rock concert and take illegal drugs
    Per3th.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?

for me it comes from the fact that when i sit down and get out my laptop I'm surrounded by 18 year olds using facebook on their $2000 macbooks and the nonsense of it all overwhelms me

As a brand I dislike apple because you're literally paying a premium for the logo, but if you want OSX it's your only choice really. A lenovo or asus macbook at a reasonable price for the hardware would be fantastic
    a lot of the "ginge hate" is joking, though.

My best mate is a redhead. We spend quite some time trading insults based on our respective defects (ginge vs English & crippled).
    I think my first concert was MSI back when I was in like 7th grade.

Ahhhh, childhood.
    archer2.png

BACK IN THE 90s!

they were surprisingly assholeish for a band that tried really hard to project the whole "fun-loving, laid back vibe"

What did they do?

they only had one song at the time that anyone knew, which was hey jealousy

and they refused to play it

and some guy in the front was, like, calling for it

so they cursed him and threw a bottle at him

small venue, too

total fuckers
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

we definitely imported it from you guys a few years ago

i lived outside london for a year when i was a kid. the fact that redheaded kids got made fun of was completely bizarre to me.

you guys were mean as shit to jews too. jesus. i'd never heard anything like it. it pinned my ears back.

also poor kids. the whole "gyppo" thing was just awful.

otoh, you guys were not nearly so mean to nerds or fatties as american kids were

maybe you shouldn't have been such a chubster gyppo boffin ginge, you big jew
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    My parents took me to see CATS when I was eight.

Yet I'm not a furry. Close call.

I think playing that Robocop arcade game on the ferry ride to/from Vancouver helped.
    I went to see Breaking Benjamin when I was 16, it was so fucking loud. Easily the loudest show I've ever been to. Couldn't hear properly for three days after.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Why can't I have a sexy accent

I don't think boston accent qualifies for sexy anywhere on the planet

if you could bend it to the brahman/ kennedy/ mid-atlantic accent you would be up to your neck in ladyparts

outside boston i mean

in boston, people would probably call you a queeah

ITT we learn that the Kennedy mid-atlantic accent causes spontaneous re-birthing.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    i'm pretty sure english kids don't like fatties earlier

i've read lord of the flies
    Per3th.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I went to see Breaking Benjamin when I was 16, it was so fucking loud. Easily the loudest show I've ever been to. Couldn't hear properly for three days after.

My loudest was Converge/Mastodon/Dethklok. Dethklok was so god damn loud
    G2Dcf.jpg
    BobCesca wrote: »

My best mate is a redhead. We spend quite some time trading insults based on our respective defects (ginge vs English & crippled).

"what's your problem?"

"englishness"

"ew"
    xlh6c3.png

BACK IN THE 90s!

What did they do?

they only had one song at the time that anyone knew, which was hey jealousy

and they refused to play it

and some guy in the front was, like, calling for it

so they cursed him and threw a bottle at him

small venue, too

total fuckers

Wow. That's pretty dicktastic.
    archer2.png
    Windows 8 however is an extremely effective argument for buying a macbook air

seriously every time I put my cursor in a textbox it brings up the onscreen keyboard because the last windows update removed my machine's ability to tell if I'm using it as a tablet or not

that is one serious advantage that makes me want to burn the entire pc landscape to the ground
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

That is it. People don't like to feel "lied" to, and a lot of people feel so smart when they can see through the marketing, and they wanna let you knowhow smart they are!
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    a couple of Gs

an R and an E

an I and an N
    xlh6c3.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure english kids don't like fatties earlier

i've read lord of the flies

You haven't been truly insulted until you are insulted in a UK school.

We can come up with really horrible insults and phrases before the compulsory politeness brainwashing.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    FYI

Cyborg furry porn already exists.

So strike that get rich scheme off your list

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

for me it comes from the fact that when i sit down and get out my laptop I'm surrounded by 18 year olds using facebook on their $2000 macbooks and the nonsense of it all overwhelms me

As a brand I dislike apple because you're literally paying a premium for the logo, but if you want OSX it's your only choice really. A lenovo or asus macbook at a reasonable price for the hardware would be fantastic

But the thing is, you aren't paying a premium for the logo. There has been a significant amount of engineering and design work that goes into making the hardware apple makes. Balancing performance against heat to produce mostly whisper quiet machines that use PC chipsets and processors, but on logic boards completely of their design, built exactly to the case, to perfectly match the power load.

They also go out of their way to advance manufacturing engineering, such as when the unibody hit, or the ridiculous levels they have gone to to produce the iPhone 5. Techniques other companies start using and elevate the entire industry.

Also, they build the OS specifically around their hardware. You can make a hackintosh (and I have), but they are a pale imitation of the real thing, because stuff doesn't "just work," you are installing drivers and kexts and modifying kernels and doing all the nasty shit linux fans had to do in the 90s just to stick it to the man.

Like Will said, Lenovo and Sony make systems on the level of Apple; not their entire line, but their premium flagship stuff. And it also costs bank. Making premium items does cost more money.
    meat.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

@BobCesca

just out of curiosity which of these is the graver sin?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    IW I can't muster any outrage at the sony ultrabooks because nobody owns them and no one at work is giving me shit for not owning one
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I think chili is my drug.

I know this is too much to be good for me.

I know I'm going to regret this later.

I'm gonna eat it anyway.
    Abdhyius wrote: »

"what's your problem?"

"englishness"

"ew"

He's Scottish.

It's ok. I have been accepted because I married a Scot...
    Windows 8 however is an extremely effective argument for buying a macbook air

seriously every time I put my cursor in a textbox it brings up the onscreen keyboard because the last windows update removed my machine's ability to tell if I'm using it as a tablet or not

that is one serious advantage that makes me want to burn the entire pc landscape to the ground

I've passed my final judgement on Windows 8. The technology is awesome, it's very pretty, and the desktop theme is cool. The tablet shit on a desktop can seriously die in a fucking fire jesus christ I tried to tolerate it and change but if that picture viewer app takes over my ENTIRE 30" SCREEN ONE MORE GODDAMNED TIME.
    dkmouthsig.png
This discussion has been closed.