Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• override367override367 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it's weird to defend manufacturers of electronics!

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline

this is true

I have a vast array of complaints against every piece of technology I own except my 1440p korean monitor

If that thing gave blow jobs I'd marry it

Is this one of those ridic monoprice IPS ones?

It was like $300 during a microcenter sale, a 27"

its only 60hz though but i have dumb eyes so i cant tell the dif anyway
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Another significant benefit to Apple products is the service. I've had hardware failures, whatnot on a few machines--no hate, it happens, I am the angel of death to video cards--and they've cheerfully replaced parts, cleaned screens, and on one occasion just said "... Well, you just want a new one?" Which considering the new one was the top of the line model that'd come out 3 days ago and mine was 2 years old, yes, yes I did.

Cost to me beyond price + Applecare: $0. Worth. It.

there are so many horror stories out there, including from people I know, about how much of an asshole Apple is about the moisture detector in their laptops.

Because if that thing says your laptop has ever been even slightly damp your AppleCare is worth dick.

I... Do other manufacturers replace things free if you get them wet? I don't think they do. It doesn't cover abuse/misuse, and I don't expect it to. It covers "my shit broke" not "I broke my shit".
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    They had a financial analyst on NPR who seemed to think the current gen of Airs was marked up by at least 20%

anyway he was saying if he ran Apple he'd sell em at a loss for 2 quarters to completely destroy the PC laptop market for everything but budget PCs

I fully support that idea, but Apple sees itself as premium and would never sell their devices at that price point

Apple has pretty much a perfect supply / production balance. Lowering the price drastically would upset that by quite a bit. Which means they would start dominating supply chains for GPUs / CPUs / chipsets, and possibly even get antitrust litigation thrown at them because they are using their position of extreme liquidity to shut out other vendors from being able to produce product by denying themselves profit. It would be a dick move.

Sure, it would get more macs out there.... but I kind of don't see why that would be important to them. They continue to see faster growth than the PC market on quarterly sales (or less shrinkage if the market constricts), and they make more money than is reasonable... so much that they are sitting on one of the most ludicrous war-chests in the industry. And there are plenty of people with Macs making software for both platforms, and plenty of people using that software.

Apple doesn't have the "win," they are super profitable exactly where they are, and the customers are all generally happy.

The parallels to Nintendo in the Gamecube years kind of write themselves.
    meat.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    it's weird to defend manufacturers of electronics!

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline

this is true

I have a vast array of complaints against every piece of technology I own except my 1440p korean monitor

If that thing gave blow jobs I'd marry it

Is this one of those ridic monoprice IPS ones?

It was like $300 during a microcenter sale, a 27"

its only 60hz though but i have dumb eyes so i cant tell the dif anyway

Don't click on that link I posted.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I am done with undergraduate school. I feel oddly numb.

But I still don't have a job for this summer so I guess that's one not-fun thing I still have to figure out.

DRINKS!

Tonight. :twisted:

Notgonnathrowupnotgonnathrowup...
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    What? We have a biter? Or... nibbler?
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    And now I'm going to watch the last Community ever, which began in the fall I started college and ends on the day I finish it.

Also totes did not realize this was going to be a half season.

Maybe queu up Archer or something too

I heard bad things.

But I did hear those things in our thread which is almost always dooooom

But still, a lotta doom this time D:
    camo_sig2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Another significant benefit to Apple products is the service. I've had hardware failures, whatnot on a few machines--no hate, it happens, I am the angel of death to video cards--and they've cheerfully replaced parts, cleaned screens, and on one occasion just said "... Well, you just want a new one?" Which considering the new one was the top of the line model that'd come out 3 days ago and mine was 2 years old, yes, yes I did.

there are so many horror stories out there, including from people I know, about how much of an asshole Apple is about the moisture detector in their laptops.

Because if that thing says your laptop has ever been even slightly damp your AppleCare is worth dick.

I... Do other manufacturers replace things free if you get them wet? I don't think they do. It doesn't cover abuse/misuse, and I don't expect it to. It covers "my shit broke" not "I broke my shit".

Dell's deluxe warranty covers water damage and accidents yeah.

edit: or at least it did when I last bought a laptop from them about 1.5 years ago
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    don't rule out throwing up just yet, raven

there's nothing more romantic than holding a girl's hair back as she throws up five vodka raspberries and a kebab*

*there is
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    i really dont understand why people use PCs when Macs are so markedly better

it is okay to admit that you were wrong guys haha
    919UOwT.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

UK Trading standards don't accept the moisture detector indication as a reason not to replace defective equipment because it's so sensitive that standard humidity can trigger it.
    Haphazard wrote: »

that's also what I am wondering here.

Is this nibbling, or is this "time to go renew rabies shots" kind of biting
    xlh6c3.png
    Gooey wrote: »

you're really not even a person if you don't have a macbook
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I still use XP on all of my machines.

Mostly because it's the most recent OS I have cracked discs for and I'm cheap like that, but also because I don't like change.

It's going to be a big day when I go to 7. You think I'm going to use a MAC?
    steam_sig.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I am no fan of the new UI, but I'd take even windows 8 over the Mac OS UI any day. That abomination claws at my eyes and annoys me constantly.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

I can't hear you over the sound of running planetside 2 at max settings
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek

plenty of places where manufacturers don't get to dictate that shit
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

I bite people when I'm drunk everybody shut up about it!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

you're really not even a person if you don't have a macbook

dont be silly

you're still a person if you dont have a macbook

just not one worth associating with
    919UOwT.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular

She mentioned her friends having green bruises so...I'm thinking the latter.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    earlier today the new temp receptionist that has been eyeing me for the last week just straight up hard core flirted with me

i basically stumbled my way through a conversation with her, with plenty of awkwardness

i have lost game

put me out to pasture

i am ready to be married

You_think_this_is_a_game.png

comic.php?date=07272004
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    If I were rich, I might own a Mac.
    But I'm not, so I build my own computers.
    Also I will hate Apple for eternity for their stupid one-button retarded mice.
    Ludious wrote: »

i run planetside 2 at max settings all the time
    919UOwT.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

Dell's deluxe warranty covers water damage and accidents yeah.

edit: or at least it did when I last bought a laptop from them about 1.5 years ago

If you are going to buy an insurance program, don't do it through apple.

Do it through whomever does your renters or homeowners insurance. costs less, rolls into your monthly or annual payments, and covers so much more than AppleCare does (including theft!)
    meat.jpg

I am no fan of the new UI, but I'd take even windows 8 over the Mac OS UI any day. That abomination claws at my eyes and annoys me constantly.

youre right windows 8 adoption rates have been astoundingly high
    919UOwT.png

in powerpoint? Oh wait. That's not powerpoint. Sorry, easy mistake to make since it looks like a slideshow.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Clothing covered areas or exposed areas?

Your teeth or plastic Halloween teeth?

Do you rinse your mouth after? H2O/Booze/Scope?
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

Uh... sorry, but is this alcohol induced canibalism? Vampirism? Do you only stop at brains? Vital information there!
    zagdrob wrote: »

I still use XP on all of my machines.

Mostly because it's the most recent OS I have cracked discs for and I'm cheap like that, but also because I don't like change.

It's going to be a big day when I go to 7. You think I'm going to use a MAC?

osx is the far superior operating system

if i can make the switch anyone can
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    zagdrob wrote: »

Yeah, their laptop quality / service may be tits, but my experience with their other products definitely hasn't been too great.

Between my wife and I, we've had two of the old iPod shuffles, a 4th or 5th gen iPod, and two nanos crap out on us. We didn't even use them all that much...and forget having Apple provide any service on those.

i've had great luck with apple product support

i installed lotro on the windows partition of my imac. it overheated my gfx card and damaged the machine. they replaced the whole thing for free after first trying to rescue it (applecare)

our puppy chewed up frankie's ipad mini. cracked the glass, got into the electronics; make it unusable. we didn't have applecare on it. it wasn't repairable. they replaced it for half-price.

then frankie got applecare on the new one. dropped it into the bathtub. they replaced it for free.

i've really had good luck with them.

otoh, i've owned hp and dell machines. their "customer service" was literally hostile when my hardware started misbehaving or my os went tits up once per year.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular

in powerpoint? Oh wait. That's not powerpoint. Sorry, easy mistake to make since it looks like a slideshow.

This is why you're my favorite Mississippian.

well I don't know to approve or not before I know how much you damage people with your bites

actually no that would be par for the course among my friends.

Bite on, you crazy diamond. Bite until you draw blood. Don't let nobody tell you it's wrong.
    xlh6c3.png
    I think I paid 600 for my i5/gtx 560/12gig ram desktop

Cuz im a poor I have to slum it in games
    [chat] is really, really awful. Like we could discuss reasons why we hate each other and my teeth would itch less.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    OH LOOK IT'S THIS CHAT AGAIN

Y'ALL BORING

FREESCHECK

GOOEY
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    I think I paid 600 for my i5/gtx 560/12gig ram desktop

Cuz im a poor I have to slum it in games

But that can run most games great!
    Mim wrote: »

She mentioned her friends having green bruises so...I'm thinking the latter.

no rabies as long as no skin was broken
    xlh6c3.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I am done with undergraduate school. I feel oddly numb.

But I still don't have a job for this summer so I guess that's one not-fun thing I still have to figure out.

DRINKS!

Tonight. :twisted:

Notgonnathrowupnotgonnathrowup...

How much biting you gonna do Dracula?
This discussion has been closed.