Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Deebs beat me to it.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    have you guys seen a movie called The Wild Hunt?

it's an indie flick about larpers

but really i enjoyed it a ton more than i thought i would

it was pretty good

Nah, but I saw this other indie flick about larpers. It was supposed to be a comedy but all it did was give me second hand embarrassment and make my mom and dad think they understood what I did when I went to go play D&D
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i guess in every industry it bothers me when people are so intent on trying to find and point out 'suckers'. like, if you think something is a better deal then fine, if you want to give your reasoning then ok. but with macs or raw denim or gourmet foods there is this really mean, vindictive desire to go 'haha suckers'. it's so intensely unlikable a trait. i am fine with budget shopping or different priorities when shopping, but i can't at all relate to the trend of mocking people who spend more money than you. SHEEP. MARKETING ZOMBIES. SUCKERS. TRUSTFUND KIDS.

like, this is only slightly less obnoxious and petty than keying cars or spitting in food.

look over the last couple pages of posts by people who have someone got their personal identity tangled up with Apple then tell me who is unbearably obnoxious.
    ... so the people not insulting the choices of others but like a thing are more annoying than the people who are calling them dumb or saying they have made bad decisions?

Jesus Christ.

eh, maybe I started reading chat in the middle of something someone else started? But you have to admit Gooey, among others, are pretty damn obnoxious about the Mac thing.

not to mention the very weird situation that when people, such as myself, criticize Apple, their products and their business practices other people start interpreting it as an attack on them.

That is super fucked up.

i am not talking about 'apple overcharges' or 'apple's profit margins are too high'.

i am talking about "people will pay for anything with an apple brand" and "it's just a hype machine that people buy into because they're too complacent to be ripped off" or "if you need something that just works and you're fine being ripped off, then by all means"

this always turns into a bunch of people saying that people who buy macs are dummies who overpay out of blind loyalty
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    msft might as well be fucking GE. nothing interesting is ever going to happen there.

the ship already sailed on aapl. if you wanted to ride the wave up you should have bought it in 2003.

I'm curious why MSFT has actually been budging north of 30 the last couple weeks. For like 13 years it's been pegged at 30. Then it just shot up to 33 and is hovering around 32 the last few days.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

it was pretty good

Nah, but I saw this other indie flick about larpers. It was supposed to be a comedy but all it did was give me second hand embarrassment and make my mom and dad think they understood what I did when I went to go play D&D

Dad: Mim do you really dress in a chain mail bikini and bang a bunch of fatasses
    Mom: *Can't stop sobbing*
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    earlier today the new temp receptionist that has been eyeing me for the last week just straight up hard core flirted with me

i basically stumbled my way through a conversation with her, with plenty of awkwardness

i have lost game

put me out to pasture

i am ready to be married

Use this post as your vows.

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm like a deer in headlights when someone flirts with me now.

It's like 'can't you see the ring? I'm taken ladies'.

But really, it's awkward and confusing and scary. I'm never sure how to react. Especially when she's young and pretty.

You go, I SAY, MADAM. ART THOU A COMMON HARLOT? GET THEE BACK TO THINE MENFOLK, WRETCHED PROSTITUTE, THAT THEY MAY REBUKE YOU FOR YOUR AMORAL AND FEMALE DESIRES
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Will, just to confirm with a mod...

I can link my sig to my card game's website, right? That won't break the "no self promotion" rule, right?
    elendil, next saturday is international museum day, free admission

would you like to go then? maybe i could make that
    It was Unicorn City.

We talked to some of the guys after it and one of them really leaned heavily into me to ask my opinion.

My mom was all "LOL Mim, he totes wants the D"
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Hey guys what's going

Oh

Did you guys know more like Xbox three shitty
    i guess in every industry it bothers me when people are so intent on trying to find and point out 'suckers'. like, if you think something is a better deal then fine, if you want to give your reasoning then ok. but with macs or raw denim or gourmet foods there is this really mean, vindictive desire to go 'haha suckers'. it's so intensely unlikable a trait. i am fine with budget shopping or different priorities when shopping, but i can't at all relate to the trend of mocking people who spend more money than you. SHEEP. MARKETING ZOMBIES. SUCKERS. TRUSTFUND KIDS.

like, this is only slightly less obnoxious and petty than keying cars or spitting in food.

look over the last couple pages of posts by people who have someone got their personal identity tangled up with Apple then tell me who is unbearably obnoxious.
    ... so the people not insulting the choices of others but like a thing are more annoying than the people who are calling them dumb or saying they have made bad decisions?

Jesus Christ.

eh, maybe I started reading chat in the middle of something someone else started? But you have to admit Gooey, among others, are pretty damn obnoxious about the Mac thing.

not to mention the very weird situation that when people, such as myself, criticize Apple, their products and their business practices other people start interpreting it as an attack on them.

That is super fucked up.

i am not talking about 'apple overcharges' or 'apple's profit margins are too high'.

i am talking about "people will pay for anything with an apple brand" and "it's just a hype machine that people buy into because they're too complacent to be ripped off" or "if you need something that just works and you're fine being ripped off, then by all means"

this always turns into a bunch of people saying that people who buy macs are dummies who overpay out of blind loyalty

I would take this more seriously if it weren't for all the "mac master race" and such comments going on at the same time.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i could do that probably
    Per3th.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Screw it. Brandy is only twelve dollars. That still leaves me six dollars in discretionary funds!

Do you really want to drink cheap booze?

I actually find E&J brandy to be pretty tasty in itself and great mixed with Coke Zero.

i don't know that i'd drink it straight, but i'm happy to mix with e&j or korbel.

e&j's xo is interesting and cheap - it's really heavy on oak/ vanilla notes and i'm not really sure if it's just aged like crazy or pressure chipped or what.

also i'm happy to use it in infusions. i have a batch of coffee brandy going right now and am going to do the same with cherry or blackberry when they're in season. maybe cranberry. who knows.

also totally doing a peach bourbon if i can ever source some peaches that aren't horrible. last year's peaches were bullshit.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular

Those are the worst days to go, so overcrowded

Oh shit for realsies?

I could totally do that one. Then we can get lunch!

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh pleeaaaasseeeee

Jesus Christ.

That is super fucked up.

I would take this more seriously if it weren't for all the "mac master race" and such comments going on at the same time.

i just don't get how you take those seriously in the first place

like, when people say PC master race console peasants do you take that seriously?

they're just jokes because people like this computer more

whereas the other is 'you're a dumb and gullible person who gets ripped off' with no humor at all
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I've noticed the older I get the less I care about money being the deciding factor in shit I buy.

Oh jeez I could save $2 if I don't get the forceflex garbage bags. Yeah, I could, but I also hate double bagging and getting kitty litter on my feet, so, no.

Then Oh jeez I could save a grand on that laptop. Oh yeah, well I really like the OS, and the laptops are light as fuck and don't overheat quite so badly. So, no.

I'll save for an extra month to have the luxury of not-shit products. Being frugal had me dealing with a lot of pointless time wasting shit because it saved me a few bucks. Sometimes I ended up spending more money because I was so cheap. Like double bagging.

it was pretty good

yeah i think i saw that one you're talking about. it was both terrible and embarrassing.

frankie is kind of obsessed with larp documentaries. i think i've seen all of them.

the wild hunt is legit pretty good though. it really goes to kind of a weird place.
    Eddy wrote: »

i would rather go any other day and i'd rather be able to pay for admission too
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Btw synd, I'll take ms against aapl if you wanna lay $1.10:$1 ;)

this is making the absurd assumption that the stock price based upon any of the factors we are talking about (ie: value for the dollar on their products and warranties and such)

If you dont think stock price reflects the quality of a brand, I don't exactly understand how you would gauge value.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    The Mac Is The Best stuff that happens here is not serious, by the way. People are really over concerned with what Apple is doing and what people are buying that it is difficult not to poke fun.

HTH
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ironic fanboyism is up there with ironic racism in terms of odiousness.
    edited May 2013
    But I'm not saying like a price going up is always good, I'm saying you can use a companies stock price to quanitfy its currently perceived value for anything.
    MadCaddy on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I LARPed once, after some LARPer friends begged me to.

Didn't really enjoy it, but the people out there seemed to have a really good time. I mean, who am i to tell these people they're having fun the wrong way, eh?
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    msft might as well be fucking GE. nothing interesting is ever going to happen there.

the ship already sailed on aapl. if you wanted to ride the wave up you should have bought it in 2003.

I'm curious why MSFT has actually been budging north of 30 the last couple weeks. For like 13 years it's been pegged at 30. Then it just shot up to 33 and is hovering around 32 the last few days.

larger dividend, also 3Q earnings were strong (microsoft has a july fiscal year)
    919UOwT.png
    Eddy wrote: »

If I was single, I'd say "No way that's totally a great day to go! I could get felt up by a cute guy or a hot butch girl!"

Now that I'm in a relationship, I'll just say "No way, that's totally a great day to go! I can just be a creeper."
    Will, just to confirm with a mod...

I can link my sig to my card game's website, right? That won't break the "no self promotion" rule, right?

shit i don't know. i think that's okay with our policy right now.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i wonder if the philly has any neat symbolist art

i like those kinds of pictures
    Per3th.jpg
    It was Unicorn City.

We talked to some of the guys after it and one of them really leaned heavily into me to ask my opinion.

you have a d?

Jesus Christ.

That is super fucked up.

like, when people say PC master race console peasants do you take that seriously?

whereas the other is 'you're a dumb and gullible person who gets ripped off' with no humor at all

and I think you are the one inventing that implication because you somehow have come to identify with apple products.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm singing along, loudly, to the Misty Mountains song from the hobbit, and cracking open a beer.

happiness is easy.
    xlh6c3.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Btw synd, I'll take ms against aapl if you wanna lay $1.10:$1 ;)

this is making the absurd assumption that the stock price based upon any of the factors we are talking about (ie: value for the dollar on their products and warranties and such)

If you dont think stock price reflects the quality of a brand, I don't exactly understand how you would gauge value.

Apple's stock is also some chaotic shit right now.

I mean, If you are looking LOOONG game they have gained a shitload of value since the days of it being a near-penny stock. But it has dipped drastically in the past six months or so, because of market expectations and nothing to do with how well they are performing as a company.

Market be crazy, yo.
    meat.jpg
    Couscous wrote: »

this is amazing
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The Mac Is The Best stuff that happens here is not serious, by the way. People are really over concerned with what Apple is doing and what people are buying that it is difficult not to poke fun.

HTH

Truth be told though, people who haven't used a mac, really do not know what they're missing, at least in the laptop market.

Jesus Christ.

That is super fucked up.

Make my decision the right one, and when things cost more they should be better!
    It was Unicorn City.

you have a d?

An imaginary one.

Soon a real one because I WILL buy a strap on just to have one.

I'll wear it when I need some balls.

Also, I can cock slap people with it.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Oh I was thinking of this
    Knights of Badassdom
    It has Peter Dinklage in it so it can't be that bad.
    On the other hand it's probably terrible.
    Especially since they can't find a company to release it.

I don't think it's that they can't find a company to release it. I hear it's more the producers are intent on fucking over their investors now that Dinklage in a fantasy-ish setting guarantees a >$30,000,000 box
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

larger dividend, also 3Q earnings were strong (microsoft has a july fiscal year)

yeah, I mean people can always point back at things that have happened after the fact. But the release of windows XP and windows 7 couldn't push the stock up. And yet a fairly good quarter (and Microsoft has had mostly good quarters over the last 13 years, they make insane money) and suddenly the Ballmer Curse is lifted? Seems odd.

Jesus Christ.

That is super fucked up.

and I think you are the one inventing that implication because you somehow have come to identify with apple products.

huh? there is no implication. those are direct quotes.
    Couscous wrote: »

nope!
This discussion has been closed.