Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm not an Apple fan, but that's more because I was a gamer back when the only things you cold play on a Mac were Sim City 2000 and Marathon. Went from that to corporate, so was a bit locked in and never really exposed to Macs...and don't want to take the time to learn another system.

That, and the fucking annoying as all hell Justin Long 'I'm a Mac' commercials and some experience with a few complete douchebag mac guys in my dorm irritated the shit out of me.

My boss and a couple of my coworkers use Macs now, and they are pretty nice. I'll stick to my PC, but no real complaints other than I don't want to switch to a different ecosystem.
    steam_sig.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    a lot of the "ginge hate" is joking, though.

My best mate is a redhead. We spend quite some time trading insults based on our respective defects (ginge vs English & crippled).

@BobCesca

just out of curiosity which of these is the graver sin?

English.

Being crippled just leads to Dalek jokes... (old school Who reference)
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    oh, before i go

shivahn

i have started work on getting my abs back after i horrified myself with the amount of titty shake i am capible of

i did like 30 situps (SHUT UP IT'S A START) and 10 pushups (ok yes that's pathetic)

so i can see this summer i have a mountain to climb to meet out 6 month abs time table

First of all

I am capable of more titty shake than you, so don't feel bad :P

Secondly yay! It doesn't matter how little you're doing, the fact that you're starting is important. Once you're in a habit of doing stuff like that it's all downhill.

So yes. Yay.

yes...

but you want the titty shake, i don't

i wish there was a way to donate my titty shake to you but alas there is not

This is why we need to develop technologies for body part markets.

The trans community would be so happy.

you can have my titty shake and i'll take your ability to grow facial hair

Haha

My uh

My facial hair is slightly damaged >.>

i'll take what i can get

90% of a fabulous red rainbow is still pretty good.

wait

no one said anything about red

Why do you think I have to get electro instead of laser?

>.>

ah

nvm

: (

i'm gonna look dum with brown hair and a red beard!

Well

I am a girl with brown hair and a red beard. So it could be worse for you :P

Though actually it's not red, it's white and clear and red and orange and blonde and and and

Basically the electrologist is putting a rainbow into the electric chair.

girls having red hair is fine

that's the double standard, men get mocked but girls are "red heads"

Actually red headed girls are rated as less desirable in psych studies! FUN FACT OF THE DAY THAT ISN'T FUN AT ALL

But also girls with red beard hair is a different thing altogether, unfortunately ><

The thing is, any weird trait is going to make a person somewhat less desirable to most but much more desirable to some.

Of possible interest: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-mathematics-of-beauty/

As Podly said (probably not with your situation in mind but I think it stands) 'having a beard will disqualify you from dating some women, but with others it will let you punch way above your weight class.' In support of this, my friend is now living with his ridiculously awesome girlfriend (they have one beard between them).
    I guess I just don't parse red hair as a weird trait.

Also

well yeah, personally I don't feel like that applies to me, because my weird traits tend to disqualify me from fuckloads of people and a lot that it doesn't aren't... I'm not punching above my weight, I'm a fetish. Which is not what I want.

But anyway, generally I agree, it's just that some traits are so mundane that it's weird how they're treated.

Totally understandable. I was getting coffee with a French-American dude who said something like 'yeah, nobody sympathizes with my difficulty; women all think i'm attractive and good at design just because of the accent and it's difficult to actually interact on a human level sometimes'

Huh? I am not sure I get the similarity between that and my thing?

@Shivahn
    People fetishize his Frenchness.
    eokNV.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

My best mate is a redhead. We spend quite some time trading insults based on our respective defects (ginge vs English & crippled).

@BobCesca

English.

i was going to say have you explained they can go up stairs now?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my lenovo yoga

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

1: If you like OSX, there is a value in it.

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

so you're taking a loss of the price tag of my laptop

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

Macs hold their pricetag much longer.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

i don't know why this conversation always has to turn nasty

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

I am all "yay, macs are nice!"

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

It's the most bizarre nastiness. I wasn't shitting on what he likes at all.

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

the difference seems to be the marketing.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?

for me it comes from the fact that when i sit down and get out my laptop I'm surrounded by 18 year olds using facebook on their $2000 macbooks and the nonsense of it all overwhelms me

As a brand I dislike apple because you're literally paying a premium for the logo, but if you want OSX it's your only choice really. A lenovo or asus macbook at a reasonable price for the hardware would be fantastic

But the thing is, you aren't paying a premium for the logo. There has been a significant amount of engineering and design work that goes into making the hardware apple makes. Balancing performance against heat to produce mostly whisper quiet machines that use PC chipsets and processors, but on logic boards completely of their design, built exactly to the case, to perfectly match the power load.

They also go out of their way to advance manufacturing engineering, such as when the unibody hit, or the ridiculous levels they have gone to to produce the iPhone 5. Techniques other companies start using and elevate the entire industry.

Also, they build the OS specifically around their hardware. You can make a hackintosh (and I have), but they are a pale imitation of the real thing, because stuff doesn't "just work," you are installing drivers and kexts and modifying kernels and doing all the nasty shit linux fans had to do in the 90s just to stick it to the man.

Like Will said, Lenovo and Sony make systems on the level of Apple; not their entire line, but their premium flagship stuff. And it also costs bank. Making premium items does cost more money.

No offense but this is kind of silly

it's well documented that Apple charges a premium just because they can

If they sold their machines for the same profit margin that Lenovo sells theirs at they would completely crush the PC laptop market

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?

for me it comes from the fact that when i sit down and get out my laptop I'm surrounded by 18 year olds using facebook on their $2000 macbooks and the nonsense of it all overwhelms me

As a brand I dislike apple because you're literally paying a premium for the logo, but if you want OSX it's your only choice really. A lenovo or asus macbook at a reasonable price for the hardware would be fantastic

But the thing is, you aren't paying a premium for the logo. There has been a significant amount of engineering and design work that goes into making the hardware apple makes. Balancing performance against heat to produce mostly whisper quiet machines that use PC chipsets and processors, but on logic boards completely of their design, built exactly to the case, to perfectly match the power load.

They also go out of their way to advance manufacturing engineering, such as when the unibody hit, or the ridiculous levels they have gone to to produce the iPhone 5. Techniques other companies start using and elevate the entire industry.

Also, they build the OS specifically around their hardware. You can make a hackintosh (and I have), but they are a pale imitation of the real thing, because stuff doesn't "just work," you are installing drivers and kexts and modifying kernels and doing all the nasty shit linux fans had to do in the 90s just to stick it to the man.

Like Will said, Lenovo and Sony make systems on the level of Apple; not their entire line, but their premium flagship stuff. And it also costs bank. Making premium items does cost more money.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I went to see Cats in London as a teen during a school trip. One of the cats sat on my lap... I feel I kinda miss out on that furry thing.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    oh, before i go

shivahn

i have started work on getting my abs back after i horrified myself with the amount of titty shake i am capible of

i did like 30 situps (SHUT UP IT'S A START) and 10 pushups (ok yes that's pathetic)

so i can see this summer i have a mountain to climb to meet out 6 month abs time table

First of all

I am capable of more titty shake than you, so don't feel bad :P

Secondly yay! It doesn't matter how little you're doing, the fact that you're starting is important. Once you're in a habit of doing stuff like that it's all downhill.

So yes. Yay.

yes...

but you want the titty shake, i don't

i wish there was a way to donate my titty shake to you but alas there is not

This is why we need to develop technologies for body part markets.

The trans community would be so happy.

you can have my titty shake and i'll take your ability to grow facial hair

Haha

My uh

My facial hair is slightly damaged >.>

i'll take what i can get

90% of a fabulous red rainbow is still pretty good.

wait

no one said anything about red

Why do you think I have to get electro instead of laser?

>.>

ah

nvm

: (

i'm gonna look dum with brown hair and a red beard!

Well

I am a girl with brown hair and a red beard. So it could be worse for you :P

Though actually it's not red, it's white and clear and red and orange and blonde and and and

Basically the electrologist is putting a rainbow into the electric chair.

girls having red hair is fine

that's the double standard, men get mocked but girls are "red heads"

Actually red headed girls are rated as less desirable in psych studies! FUN FACT OF THE DAY THAT ISN'T FUN AT ALL

But also girls with red beard hair is a different thing altogether, unfortunately ><

The thing is, any weird trait is going to make a person somewhat less desirable to most but much more desirable to some.

Of possible interest: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-mathematics-of-beauty/

As Podly said (probably not with your situation in mind but I think it stands) 'having a beard will disqualify you from dating some women, but with others it will let you punch way above your weight class.' In support of this, my friend is now living with his ridiculously awesome girlfriend (they have one beard between them).
    I guess I just don't parse red hair as a weird trait.

Also

well yeah, personally I don't feel like that applies to me, because my weird traits tend to disqualify me from fuckloads of people and a lot that it doesn't aren't... I'm not punching above my weight, I'm a fetish. Which is not what I want.

But anyway, generally I agree, it's just that some traits are so mundane that it's weird how they're treated.

Totally understandable. I was getting coffee with a French-American dude who said something like 'yeah, nobody sympathizes with my difficulty; women all think i'm attractive and good at design just because of the accent and it's difficult to actually interact on a human level sometimes'

Huh? I am not sure I get the similarity between that and my thing?

Shivahn
    People fetishize his Frenchness.

Ah. I guess I didn't get "fetishize" from what you said. To me it's more of a raw sexual thing. Tranny chasers, etc.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I'm experimenting with a beard. How come hair doesn't grow to connect my mustache to my beard. It just barely doesn't. Doesn't grow mostly underneath my bottom lip either. Why?? I'm hairy. I had a mustache by 7th grade, fully shaving by 8th. Wuzza deal
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular

@BobCesca

English.

Dalek jokes started before New Who and when everyone just pretended the levitating Dalek's from McCoy's run didn't exist.

Plus, it means I have a fair few Dalek figures given to me as joke presents :D
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

Their fucking awesome profit margins come from their phones and tablets, in which yes, they do mark them up like whoa.

I think the iPhone 5 costs them 200-250 to make and ship, and they sell them for 700 to phone retailers.

edit: specifically, their computer business is somewhere around 20% of what they do any more - the rest comes from their iOS ecosystem. The computers are not responsible for that chart looking that way.
    syndalis on
    meat.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    If anyone here hates on John Hodgman I'll stab you.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I went to see Cats in London as a teen during a school trip. One of the cats sat on my lap... I feel I kinda miss out on that furry thing.

It's not furry as long as you do it backstage at Cats.

Anywhere else and you're damaged goods
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

@BobCesca

English.

Dalek jokes started before New Who and when everyone just pretended the levitating Dalek's from McCoy's run didn't exist.

Plus, it means I have a fair few Dalek figures given to me as joke presents :D

if that isnt a silver lining i don't know what is
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    basically on a hardware level my ultrabook is comparable with a ~$300 more expensive macbook. Same processor, same ram, same hard drive, same battery life, same weight and thickness, etc

Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with having a premium brand with better software and driver issues (the issues that have come up re: win 8 with my notebook don't happen in OSX)

but there's nothing inherently special about a macbook it's just a premium ultrabook with a different OS

However the next line of Air's is going to have a faster line of video processor than the next line of ultrabooks I think? If that's the case I might pick one up once the hd4000 stops cutting muster for casual games
    edited May 2013

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

Their fucking awesome profit margins come from their phones and tablets, in which yes, they do mark them up like whoa.

I think the iPhone 5 costs them 200-250 to make and ship, and they sell them for 700 to phone retailers.

edit: specifically, their computer business is somewhere around 20% of what they do any more - the rest comes from their iOS ecosystem. The computers are not responsible for that chart looking that way.

You wanna take a 20 year position in AAPL?
    MadCaddy on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Jewish hate isn't something I saw growing up. The rest for sure though.

Then again I recall a mention by a 4chan mod that 99% of 'ironic' anti-semitism posted was from either a British or Australian IP.
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with a beard. How come hair doesn't grow to connect my mustache to my beard. It just barely doesn't. Doesn't grow mostly underneath my bottom lip either. Why?? I'm hairy. I had a mustache by 7th grade, fully shaving by 8th. Wuzza deal

Welcome to the world of disappointing facial hair.

I also teach the more advanced Disappointing skull hair class.
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    I watched The Day of the Jackal last night

Fuck I love stationary cameras

Michael Bay you son of a bitch
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i saw jewish hate growing up

curse this nose
    MadCaddy wrote: »

What about Justin Long?

'cause he's got a douchebag face that makes me want to bash it in with a cinder block.
    steam_sig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    it's weird to defend manufacturers of electronics!

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline
    xlh6c3.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Like the relative levels of "oh a trans person they must have XYZ traits" is a lot lower than "Oh a tranny I love chicks with dicks."

At least that is my perception, and the latter is something I hate for a hundred reasons.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

hmm

I mean, I don't get it.

I'm looking for more recent info but I know in 2010 the MacBook air (for example) had an even bigger markup than the phones. It was upwards of 25% and got into the 30s on some models.

Here is something more recent that is specific to Macs (not phones): http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/16/mac_profits_are_high_too_high.html
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I am scared to pull the trigger and order all these parts

but I can't let will just fat around chat with his new computer

>:[
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it's weird to defend manufacturers of electronics!

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline

you're old
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

Ill be enrolling in that one very, very soon

I'm actually doing some learning on my own first
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i saw jewish hate growing up

curse this nose
    oh come on

i'm sure plenty of people hated you for you and not because of your background
    Per3th.jpg
    Eddy wrote: »
    I watched The Day of the Jackal last night

Fuck I love stationary cameras

Michael Bay you son of a bitch

That was a sweet movie. The plot was unnecessarily convoluted, but damn if that gun didn't kick ass.
    steam_sig.png
    Also mac wasn't even against releasing fundamentally flawed products with Steve; my first generation MBA was testament to that. They did replace it twice, at least, but I had the hinge break a third time and just didn't bother trying going through the whole process again.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I am done with undergraduate school. I feel oddly numb.

But I still don't have a job for this summer so I guess that's one not-fun thing I still have to figure out.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    apple is best fyi hth
    919UOwT.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Another significant benefit to Apple products is the service. I've had hardware failures, whatnot on a few machines--no hate, it happens, I am the angel of death to video cards--and they've cheerfully replaced parts, cleaned screens, and on one occasion just said "... Well, you just want a new one?" Which considering the new one was the top of the line model that'd come out 3 days ago and mine was 2 years old, yes, yes I did.

Cost to me beyond price + Applecare: $0. Worth. It.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

You wanna take a 20 year position in AAPL?

I don't want to take a 20 year position on any one company. That's nuts, considering how much disruptive technology has happened in 20 years.

20 years ago windows 3.11 and WordPerfect were the belles of the ball, and there were generic macs being made by Compaq and Packard Bell.
    meat.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I spilled beer on my ibook and it broke

fuck you jobs!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Everyone's hating the Chu
    Yeah yeah yeahhhh
    Big nose like a baboon
    yeah yeah yeahhhhh

Yes that was me Chu.
    I was Tommy Knickerbee your 3rd grade tormentor.

Ill be enrolling in that one very, very soon

I'm actually doing some learning on my own first

Equip your razor then select everything but the eyebrows.

Congratulations on graduating Weak Hair Genes Academy
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Personally I've found macs to be great pieces of hardware, but they're expensive because they're "premium" hardware like any other

What makes a lot of people mad is that people will buy powerful macs and they just don't need them. It doesn't really bother me I guess, but it seems silly to buy that super expensive powerful machine if you never use it for anything except email and social media. Just like it would be silly to get any other $2000 rig from any other company.
    zagdrob wrote: »

What about Justin Long?

'cause he's got a douchebag face that makes me want to bash it in with a cinder block.

Hodgman only. Judge John Hodgman is the best thing on the Internet.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I remember when we went onto Vigrid's (old-school neo-nazis) website in school and laughed our asses off at it

banning us from entering sites like that in school was a mistake, we realized (also we realized later when it didn't matter, something we could have won an argument with the teachers about arguing from free speech and all that)

because the best way to ensure someone doesn't get into that stuff is have them read it

the amount of people who will take someone who consistently writes USA as Jew$A seriously is... small.

Also it took us a while to get that they meant USA.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.