Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• override367override367 Registered User regular
    They had a financial analyst on NPR who seemed to think the current gen of Airs was marked up by at least 20%

anyway he was saying if he ran Apple he'd sell em at a loss for 2 quarters to completely destroy the PC laptop market for everything but budget PCs

I fully support that idea, but Apple sees itself as premium and would never sell their devices at that price point
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    If anyone here hates on John Hodgman I'll stab you.

He's not funny to me. That's about it for me and John Hodgman.
    I am done with undergraduate school. I feel oddly numb.

But I still don't have a job for this summer so I guess that's one not-fun thing I still have to figure out.

What's your degree in?
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    hey guys, we should really save paper, so we need to make sure we have proper records management. Not only will this help accountability, but if we keep track of important documentation and retire it correctly, we won't have to worry about making thousands of reproductions.

Now, to do that we need to create an elaborate management system that requires printing out hundreds of pieces of paper documenting this process.

willohgod-1.jpg
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it's weird to defend manufacturers of electronics!

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline

you're old

I'm 21!
    xlh6c3.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Geth, as a fellow chrome done, understands my plight :D
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    That red bike is bullshit and Jenny is a slut.

@Gooey

@spool32 ilu

one day you will go mac

i just know it
    919UOwT.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i saw jewish hate growing up

curse this nose

What's wrong with your nose? It seemed perfectly fine to me.

Haphazard on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

all pieces of electronics are horribly designed infuriating pieces of shit until proven otherwise

and everyone involved in their making are dastardly bastards and incompetents, as a baseline

you're old

I'm 21!

you have a curmudgeonly soul
    YES, Geth agrees that Hodgman is not funny.

Score one for the Mimster.
    ludious i'm glad to see you're using my photo to propagate all that is good and upright in this world
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Another significant benefit to Apple products is the service. I've had hardware failures, whatnot on a few machines--no hate, it happens, I am the angel of death to video cards--and they've cheerfully replaced parts, cleaned screens, and on one occasion just said "... Well, you just want a new one?" Which considering the new one was the top of the line model that'd come out 3 days ago and mine was 2 years old, yes, yes I did.

Cost to me beyond price + Applecare: $0. Worth. It.

there are so many horror stories out there, including from people I know, about how much of an asshole Apple is about the moisture detector in their laptops.

Because if that thing says your laptop has ever been even slightly damp your AppleCare is worth dick.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    YES, Geth agrees that Hodgman is not funny.

Score one for the Mimster.
    geth once denied the holocaust

so
    Per3th.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    ludious i'm glad to see you're using my photo to propagate all that is good and upright in this world

you're just so goddamn sexy in that photograph
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    the dell all-in-one is roughly as expensive as the imac for similar specs. has a worse gfx card, even fewer customization options and i'm really skeptical of the build quality.

the hp all-in-one isn't really in the same niche - the highest-end specced out hp all-in-one is pretty far south of the lowest-end imac. it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper tho.

the highest-end sony all-in-one is roughly the same specs and cost as the low-end imac.

it seems like whenever apple-to-apple comparisons are made between apple products and others, they're pretty cost-competitive

but the inevitable comparison is always an all-in-one or laptop compared to some gaming tower than someone hacked together themselves.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    a lot of the "ginge hate" is joking, though.

My best mate is a redhead. We spend quite some time trading insults based on our respective defects (ginge vs English & crippled).

@BobCesca

just out of curiosity which of these is the graver sin?

English.

Being crippled just leads to Dalek jokes... (old school Who reference)

i was going to say have you explained they can go up stairs now?

Plus, it means I have a fair few Dalek figures given to me as joke presents :D

Any White Supreme iDalek with spots to simulate a cow camo?

Cause if not, boom Xmas for you is sorted
    camo_sig2.png
    Haphazard wrote: »

curse this nose

i have no problems with it

arab children did : (

this is true

I have a vast array of complaints against every piece of technology I own except my 1440p korean monitor

If that thing gave blow jobs I'd marry it
    mac people are demonstrably better and nicer people and are easier to work with
    919UOwT.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

But I still don't have a job for this summer so I guess that's one not-fun thing I still have to figure out.

What's your degree in?

~*Communications!!*~
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Another significant benefit to Apple products is the service. I've had hardware failures, whatnot on a few machines--no hate, it happens, I am the angel of death to video cards--and they've cheerfully replaced parts, cleaned screens, and on one occasion just said "... Well, you just want a new one?" Which considering the new one was the top of the line model that'd come out 3 days ago and mine was 2 years old, yes, yes I did.

there are so many horror stories out there, including from people I know, about how much of an asshole Apple is about the moisture detector in their laptops.

Because if that thing says your laptop has ever been even slightly damp your AppleCare is worth dick.

The Macbook has been aroused!
    We will not support your slutty Macbook
    You fucking whore.
    dude my nose is more jewish than your nose. quit complaining.
    xlh6c3.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

this is true

I have a vast array of complaints against every piece of technology I own except my 1440p korean monitor

If that thing gave blow jobs I'd marry it

Is this one of those ridic monoprice IPS ones?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

this is sort of absurd

have you had rocks thrown at you for being a filthy kike
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

curse this nose

i have no problems with it

arab children did : (

Children can be monsters. ... so can adults. I got nothing.

Still, great nose! :)
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular

DRINKS!
    camo_sig2.png
    earlier today the new temp receptionist that has been eyeing me for the last week just straight up hard core flirted with me

i basically stumbled my way through a conversation with her, with plenty of awkwardness

i have lost game

put me out to pasture

i am ready to be married
    919UOwT.png
    haps, while we're talking about this i'm a big fan of your ears
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

What's your degree in?

~*Communications!!*~

Gurl, I'd drink with you but...you might bite me.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Yeah, their laptop quality / service may be tits, but my experience with their other products definitely hasn't been too great.

Between my wife and I, we've had two of the old iPod shuffles, a 4th or 5th gen iPod, and two nanos crap out on us. We didn't even use them all that much...and forget having Apple provide any service on those.
    steam_sig.png
    Irond Will wrote: »
    the dell all-in-one is roughly as expensive as the imac for similar specs. has a worse gfx card, even fewer customization options and i'm really skeptical of the build quality.

the hp all-in-one isn't really in the same niche - the highest-end specced out hp all-in-one is pretty far south of the lowest-end imac. it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper tho.

the highest-end sony all-in-one is roughly the same specs and cost as the low-end imac.

it seems like whenever apple-to-apple comparisons are made between apple products and others, they're pretty cost-competitive

but the inevitable comparison is always an all-in-one or laptop compared to some gaming tower than someone hacked together themselves.

I'm specifically comparing the lenovo yoga to the macbook air, they seem to be roughly identical with the macbook having a few hundred markup

If apple sold them at the same profit margin they would be cheaper by over a hundred dollars

which really speaks to how amazing Apple is as a company that they could pull that off
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    I went with a friend to the appl store so she could buy a new macbook and it was like the Branch Davidians recruited a team of used car salesmen
    eokNV.jpg
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    And now I'm going to watch the last Community ever, which began in the fall I started college and ends on the day I finish it.

Also totes did not realize this was going to be a half season.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

this is sort of absurd

have you had rocks thrown at you for being a filthy kike

we never had many jews to begin with and then the wehrmacht came a-knockin soooo
    xlh6c3.png
    Gooey wrote: »
    earlier today the new temp receptionist that has been eyeing me for the last week just straight up hard core flirted with me

i basically stumbled my way through a conversation with her, with plenty of awkwardness

i have lost game

put me out to pasture

i am ready to be married

You did well, bro.

Because your lady probably got her that job.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

Antisemitcism
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

What's your degree in?

You're a monster! :o :shock:
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my favorite part of chu's body is his cock

his adorable little cock
    Per3th.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my lenovo yoga

I'm not sure what benefit a macbook air would give me beyond twice the price tag

1: If you like OSX, there is a value in it.

2: I am going to be selling my 1700 dollar when new, now two year old MBA for 1000 dollars when the new one comes out. The resale value on Macs is a testament to their build quality / desirability.

so you're taking a loss of the price tag of my laptop

hmm

compared to a two yard elf PC, which will resell for probably 25% of its original value.

Macs hold their pricetag much longer.

yeah because people are stupid and will buy obsolete hardware for four figures if it has an apple logo on it

i don't know why this conversation always has to turn nasty

for whatever reason people are willing to pay more for used macs, they are, which is a nice thing about purchasing a mac

I mean, I don't get it.

I am all "yay, macs are nice!"

And the response is always inevitably "you are fucking dumb and people who like macs are dumb."

It's the most bizarre nastiness. I wasn't shitting on what he likes at all.

i honestly think it comes from the fact that apple's ads (used to, to some extent still do to some extent) play up the idea that apple products are hip and cool and elegant. apple critics seem to come back to this over and over.

like, sony and dell produce premium design-centric all-in-ones and "ultrabooks" that came in right around the cost of an imac or mbp with similar specs. yet i never never never have heard anyone really furious about them.

the difference seems to be the marketing.

i mean, tons of other companies try to project the exact same things in their marketing, but i guess they're not as convincing?

for me it comes from the fact that when i sit down and get out my laptop I'm surrounded by 18 year olds using facebook on their $2000 macbooks and the nonsense of it all overwhelms me

As a brand I dislike apple because you're literally paying a premium for the logo, but if you want OSX it's your only choice really. A lenovo or asus macbook at a reasonable price for the hardware would be fantastic

But the thing is, you aren't paying a premium for the logo. There has been a significant amount of engineering and design work that goes into making the hardware apple makes. Balancing performance against heat to produce mostly whisper quiet machines that use PC chipsets and processors, but on logic boards completely of their design, built exactly to the case, to perfectly match the power load.

They also go out of their way to advance manufacturing engineering, such as when the unibody hit, or the ridiculous levels they have gone to to produce the iPhone 5. Techniques other companies start using and elevate the entire industry.

Also, they build the OS specifically around their hardware. You can make a hackintosh (and I have), but they are a pale imitation of the real thing, because stuff doesn't "just work," you are installing drivers and kexts and modifying kernels and doing all the nasty shit linux fans had to do in the 90s just to stick it to the man.

Like Will said, Lenovo and Sony make systems on the level of Apple; not their entire line, but their premium flagship stuff. And it also costs bank. Making premium items does cost more money.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

margins are much larger on apple hardware, but a really large part of this is that component unit costs are much lower on apple products due to their hardball negotiations, economies of scale that come from only supporting a few product lines, and supply chain expertise.

you can't just look at margins and determine that apple products are a ripoff. apple negotiates fantastic deals on their components that are the envy of the industry.
    And now I'm going to watch the last Community ever, which began in the fall I started college and ends on the day I finish it.

Also totes did not realize this was going to be a half season.

that's fitting.

Also, what's this I hear about you biting people. Explain yourself, girl.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.