Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• P10P10 Registered User regular
    surrealitycheck is in a boner induced coma and wanted you all to know

i however am cleaning my keyboard and oh god it is gross
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    loop
    [
    (test each temp-x and get a temp-y)
    (in each loop, test if temp-y > max-y, then max-y=temp-y and max-x=temp-x)
    ]
    print max-x, max-y

R is Don't Use Loops: The Language

it's incredibly non-intuitive for that reason sometimes
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hmm, people discussing the movie in earnest in the Star Trek thread, and not necessarily spoiler tagging what I would tag, even if their standards are acceptable. Better flee!
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    i do not want to go to prison for 20 years

All right, where did you stuff the body?
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    ok

he's gone off for a while

blind rage is withdrawing
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    ronya wrote: »
    Hmm. Okay. I have a function that maps x to y. I want to calculate y for a range of values of x, then print out the pair of y and x where y is maximized.

Hmm.

Know anything special about the function? Is it a polynomial? Is it differentiable?

Oh, I don't need the exact value, in this context I'm allowed to just test 100 values of x and pick the highest y. The concept is simple. Implementing it in R is hard. I keep thinking of loops instead of vectors.

> x <- c(1.0, 2.0, 3.0, ... 100.0)
    > y <- f(x)
    > max(y)

that should give the max value of y. if you need the x value or the index i'm not sure how to do that easily in R, but i'm sure there's a way
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    loop
    [
    (test each temp-x and get a temp-y)
    (in each loop, test if temp-y > max-y, then max-y=temp-y and max-x=temp-x)
    ]
    print max-x, max-y

R is Don't Use Loops: The Language

it's incredibly non-intuitive for that reason sometimes

matlab is the same way. once you get your head around vectorized programming, tho, you'll love it
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Can you clean SC's while you are at it? It looks like it is coverd in dried...

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

interestingly one of my other frequent fantasies was planning out exactly what i would do in this eventuality
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Stop feeding him the blue pills and he'll come out of the coma!
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

interestingly one of my other frequent fantasies was planning out exactly what i would do in this eventuality

I've watched enough forensic shows that I figure I can pull off at least one perfect crime...
    EriktheVikingGamer on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I want a boner coma
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    Like seriously it's grey and crusty, bits flaking off.

A worn groove on the QWER keys.

I had to wash my hands several times after using it last time.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    and we never did pseudo programming in R now that I think about it! We were basically using it to do one step something-I-can't-remember. At least this wasn't for a programming class. Not being able to loop in some sort of language is annoying, but I'd guess vectors are pretty much the same if you're used to them.

annoyed that all of my classes through HS and college skipped any bits on vectors
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I want a boner coma

a boner whose thirst can never be quenched is a terrible thing.
    TTODewback on
    and we never did pseudo programming in R now that I think about it! We were basically using it to do one step something-I-can't-remember. At least this wasn't for a programming class. Not being able to loop in some sort of language is annoying, but I'd guess vectors are pretty much the same if you're used to them.

annoyed that all of my classes through HS and college skipped any bits on vectors
    I wish my classes on 3D graphics at uni had covered Quaternions.

• TavTav Registered User regular
    i wish there was some chocolate in the house

it would go well with this tea and this hangover
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    In Fable III, you have to pay to repair the houses you rent out every once in a while. There is no "repair all" option so you have to click on the individual houses on the map to repair them, even if you have dozens of houses. How did that get past the design phase?

If you have the PC version, you can zoom out on the town map, and a repair all button will appear.

If you have a console version, you are sad and I've no desire to speak with you further.

What if it came with your XBox for free?

nohp1.gif
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.

don't you have latex gloves laying around a lab?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I had the nicest potato & leek soup for lunch today.

The nicest.

This was at a mutal friends house.

I don't want to go searching for latex gloves there. Just in case I find one.
    oh shit, metro last light is out

totally gonna play through 2033 again before I get paid enough to buy last light

oh

so it is concievably a keyboard covered on old jizz then?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    NNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @ErikTheVikingGamer

sorry, I didn't even touch my computer after I got home from work last night. Cisco Certification is great as an initiative check Vs HR, but be prepared to set up your own little network with a cisco router if you really want to learn/study for it, unless you are lucky enough to have access to a real one you can play with. Also keep in mind that Cisco Certifications are not nearly as rare as they used to be so, despite their legendary status, don't think they are a "get a job free card" because they're not.

Also this is where I tell you that I.T. Security is waaaaay more popular now and you should focus on security certifications like the Security+, CISSP, etc.
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There was just an earthquake here

OH GOD MY BOOZE
    edited May 2013

oh

He claims it's dried soap.

edit: It almost certainly is, were it indeed jizz then he should get a job as a onanistic firefighter.

Antinumeric on
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Whompdude about surgery:
    Next I was rolled into the surgery room, and this is where it got weird for me. I looked over at a woman sitting in the corner. I smiled and waved at her and she smiled and waved back. Then, I immediately woke up in the wakeup room, at least according to the memories I retained. I’ve never had general anesthesia, so I didn’t know there was actual memory loss. It was kinda cool and scary. I know at some point I probably talked to my surgeon and agreed to him fixing my hernia if it was worse than expected. Also they probably put a mask on me and had me count backwards from 10, right? That’s how it is on TV, anyway.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I remember of my surgery too.

I got something "relaxing" while still up in my room. Then I remember them rolling my bed out of the room.

Then I woke up and surgery was done.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    NNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST

Read this as incest

oh

He claims it's dried soap.

he does huh?

so it's not candle wax then?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    So Nintendo is running a nintendo direct right now ad they are showing off the Olympics game for Sochi and the frame rate is constantly tanking lol
    Last Light is okay. Don't know why you have to play as ruskies though. Ugh.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I woke up to the most disturbing and depressing thing today.

Before going to bed, I had put up a Steam Trading card on the Steam Marketplace. Someone actually bought it for over a dollar. real money. spent on a fake trading card...

So depressing.
    21stCentury on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    There was just an earthquake here

OH GOD MY BOOZE

You felt that too, eh? My monitors here at work were shaking more than usual.
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    I remember my anaesthesiologist saying "count backward from 10 and breath deeply from the mask, it's like getting super drunk super quickly" and at 7 I felt like i had drank a bottle of vodka in about 10 minutes
    Echo wrote: »
    Whompdude about surgery:
    Next I was rolled into the surgery room, and this is where it got weird for me. I looked over at a woman sitting in the corner. I smiled and waved at her and she smiled and waved back. Then, I immediately woke up in the wakeup room, at least according to the memories I retained. I’ve never had general anesthesia, so I didn’t know there was actual memory loss. It was kinda cool and scary. I know at some point I probably talked to my surgeon and agreed to him fixing my hernia if it was worse than expected. Also they probably put a mask on me and had me count backwards from 10, right? That’s how it is on TV, anyway.

I got something "relaxing" while still up in my room. Then I remember them rolling my bed out of the room.

I remember everything up until looking up at the surgery room lights etc. Then I remember waking up in recovery pissed off. I was in pain and ANGRY. Like fighting angry.

Apparently my body doesn't react well to oblivion.
    edited May 2013
    Ludious wrote: »
    @ErikTheVikingGamer

sorry, I didn't even touch my computer after I got home from work last night. Cisco Certification is great as an initiative check Vs HR, but be prepared to set up your own little network with a cisco router if you really want to learn/study for it, unless you are lucky enough to have access to a real one you can play with. Also keep in mind that Cisco Certifications are not nearly as rare as they used to be so, despite their legendary status, don't think they are a "get a job free card" because they're not.

Also this is where I tell you that I.T. Security is waaaaay more popular now and you should focus on security certifications like the Security+, CISSP, etc.

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely look into security. I need some kind of job that isn't data entry or retail that I can actually pursue a career in and enjoy. :P
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Echo wrote: »
    Whompdude about surgery:

When I was getting the tip of my finger sewn back on when I was 13 I went under general. They put the anaesthetic in and I could feel a cool sensation running up my arm. I remember saying to my mum "It feels cold" then waking up afterwards.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I remember my anaesthesiologist saying "count backward from 10 and breath deeply from the mask, it's like getting super drunk super quickly" and at 7 I felt like i had drank a bottle of vodka in about 10 minutes

I made it to 6 one time. I was counting really fast.

(had multiple surgeries for tubes in my ears when I was growing up)

All I remember is some trippy vision and the Anaesthesiologist's voice, deepened by 3-4 octaves repeating "breath deep, breath deep" over and over again, and then suddenly I was in the recovery room.
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I woke up to the most disturbing and depressing thing today.

Before going to bed, I had put up a Steam Trading card on the Steam Marketplace. Someone actually bought it for over a dollar. real money. spent on a fake trading card...

So depressing.

You are complicit in that transaction.