Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    OMG FROSTY WAFFLE CONE AT WENDYS OMG
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Wat. No.

no no no no no no

This is not a thing that can exist. There is a Wendy's far too close to my apartment.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Nice. The guy who is doing the Dogs playing D&D poster just added the picture file as a reward. I am making this everyone's desktop background.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    @Madcaddy

I just want you to know that I am very confused as to how you are defining "Darwinism" and want you to know that I believe (from what I understand of what you are trying to say) that you are basically completely confused about how evolution by natural selection works, especially in regards to how it affects human populations, especially especially in social environments.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Guys I just realized that everything is going to be alright

Whew
    This psychic claimed that Armageddon would take place in 2020 and Jesus would return to defeat the unholy Trinity of the Antichrist, Satan and the False prophet between 2020 and 2037. Dixon previously predicted the world would end on February 4, 1962.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Madcaddy

I just want you to know that I am very confused as to how you are defining "Darwinism" and want you to know that I believe (from what I understand of what you are trying to say) that you are basically completely confused about how evolution by natural selection works, especially in regards to how it affects human populations, especially especially in social environments.

God picks the traits he likes best and those animals get to live.

Errybody know that
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

Wat. No.

no no no no no no

This is not a thing that can exist. There is a Wendy's far too close to my apartment.

The MSRP is $1.50
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Hey Arch, did you see the bug eye camera prototype?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Sweet, my family's fourth of a cow is ready.

225 pounds of delicious cow.
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

awesome

from where
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Madcaddy

Errybody know that

"Theistic evolution" is a thing.

A thing that's like "hey what if GOD DID EVOLUTION"

which is basically just evolution with superfluous crap. But still.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

Wat. No.

no no no no no no

The MSRP is $1.50

That it's cheap doesn't really change how often I'd get it but I am intrigued by your usage of MSRP.
    dkmouthsig.png
    Variable wrote: »

awesome

from where

Some farm in a town near here.
    Gonna make my blood pressure sky high!

Wat. No.

no no no no no no

The MSRP is $1.50

That it's cheap doesn't really change how often I'd get it but I am intrigued by your usage of MSRP.

The articles kept saying 'the suggested retail price is $1.50' so MSRP is easier

also they probably manufacture these in a warehouse
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular

awesome

from where

well I'm jealous
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Madcaddy

Errybody know that

what if god was one of us

just a slob like one of us
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    @Arch Whatever you say, chief! Some light reading and we can talk about the merits if you want:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory

I believe meme theory articulates a lot of the whys for things. Especially cultural differences.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    I programmed a raytracer graphics engine where you can move the camera around.

I have maybe 30 polygons on screen and only ambient lighting.

And at a 500x500px resolution the frame rate is one frame each 8 seconds. So 0.125 fps.

I guess that is why raytracers are not used for games.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    look, sometimes a pikachu just wants to stay a pikachu
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    @Corehealer

I wasn't ignoring you on Steam. I forgot I had it until I got an email about something the other day!
    Lh96QHG.png
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    You know, if there's one person in [chat] who doesn't know what he's talking about regarding evolution, it's totally gonna be Arch.

Yep.
    This statement is pretty arch
    jBEKRTH.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Madcaddy

Errybody know that

what if god was one of us

just a slob like one of us

And then *BAM* Mormonism

#whattheydontwantyoutoknow
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    Apparently I have a coupon for 75% off Shogun 2 if anyone wants it.
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Don't you think it's a little belittling or whatever? Registered User regular

awesome

from where

Are you getting any sausage?

We get some polish sausage the butcher makes it's like the best thing I've ever eaten.
    frosteey.gif
    Apparently I have a coupon for 75% off Shogun 2 if anyone wants it.

I've run into the problem of everyone I know either having the game already or not being someone who plays PC games.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I programmed a raytracer graphics engine where you can move the camera around.

I have maybe 30 polygons on screen and only ambient lighting.

And at a 500x500px resolution the frame rate is one frame each 8 seconds. So 0.125 fps.

I guess that is why raytracers are not used for games.

there are probably a lot of optimizations possible in your engine but pretty much yeah
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    @podly what is middle branch like? do you like it?

I'm moving close to it
    Frosteey wrote: »

awesome

from where

Are you getting any sausage?

We get some polish sausage the butcher makes it's like the best thing I've ever eaten.

Yep, we're getting a bunch of sausages, and various types of steak.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Someone should make a pokemon-esque where, when the creatures evolve, they get more cute rather than less cute
    jBEKRTH.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist

A sexy biologist
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist

Excuse me he's an entomologist.

What have insects ever done for science?
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist

A sexy biologist

Not to be confused with a bio sexologist.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist

A sexy biologist

You know that's redundant, right?
    Just to be clear

Arch is a biologist

Excuse me he's an entomologist.

What have insects ever done for science?

He just sits around all day talking about the origins of words, not the species!
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    @Arch Whatever you say, chief! Some light reading and we can talk about the merits if you want:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory

I believe meme theory articulates a lot of the whys for things. Especially cultural differences.

You still haven't said anything. Evolutionary game theory is basically bullshit.

Here, lets look at some data.

This paper by Byars et al did a lot of fancy math, but the takeaway is pretty nice, and directly contradicts whatever the heck you were trying to say about "thinning bloodlines" or whatever.
    We found that natural selection is acting to cause slow, gradual evolutionary change. The descendants of these women are predicted to be on average slightly shorter and stouter, to have lower total cholesterol levels and systolic blood pressure, to have their first child earlier, and to reach menopause later than they would in the absence of evolution. Selection is tending to lengthen the reproductive period at both ends.

Before we continue- whether or not darwinian selection is operating on humans is still under debate. Most of the studies are drawn from historical records and genealogies, and it is kind of hard to backtrack accurately to get heritability and accurately estimate evolutionary parameters.

Milot et al also tried to estimate selection in a human population, and came to a similar result.
    Here we study life-history variation in an insular preindustrial French-Canadian population and apply a recently proposed conservative approach to testing microevolutionary responses to selection. As reported for other such societies, natural selection favored an earlier age at first reproduction (AFR) among women. AFR was also highly heritable and genetically correlated to fitness, predicting a microevolutionary change toward earlier reproduction.

These are just two examples, but they serve to illustrate my point- while potentially true that selection is operating on humans, if anything we have been consistently selecting for ease of reproduction, so if anything we are becoming more fit, in a classical selection idea. That is, it is becoming easier and easier for people to reproduce, and to do so earlier. (One of those studies, I forget which, found that early male death was the biggest selective agent in humans. That is, dying before reproducing. Duh.) We seem to be evolving towards reducing that gap.
    I love you Arch.