Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I have officially watched enough animu that I am starting to learn Japanese words exclusively from watching it. I picked up the meaning of chotto matte and yosh.

Chotto matte kudasai!!!

Do keep in mind that the subtitlers do take some artistic license with what they are doing. I have seen the same phrase translated lots of ways in the same episode even, but that is because Japanese is very context sensitive, but I don't always agree with how they are doing it in every instance.

I've gotten the impression that when you speak Japanese much of what you're saying is implied, lots of implied subjects and objects, etc?

Yeah. It's considered a very high context language by linguists (while American English is quite low, for reference). Lots of dropped subjects, objects, parts of grammar, etc.

If you walked into a room and wanted to express that it was cold for example you would just say "cold." No need to specifiy what is cold as you can derive it from context.

Even though it's a very different language I want to say Chinese is pretty similar in that.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I already watched a movie

but it is too early to go to sleep

hrumph
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    in the case that no one is following I think I figured out who the neighborhood dog poisoner is.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
    Unfortunately the two girls I am on vacation with both love doing two things I do not: taking pictures and shopping.

I swear if I have to wait one more time for them to photograph my meal before I can eat it there will be murders.

you should have known what you were getting into when you signed on for a tour in japan.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    in the case that no one is following I think I figured out who the neighborhood dog poisoner is.

Wait, it was intentional? I thought it was just your goose ass neighbor being negligent.
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    oh my god I have internet again
    i finished the first season of JLU last night

what the fuck that was some legit heavy shit

like weekday afternoon Watchmen

edit: season 2 i guess? netflix has it as one big season. whatevs

everyone says it's good but I have avoided bothering to watch

should I check this out?

@desc jesus christ yes dude

it is essential
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    @elendil hell yes :^:

also how rad is the question
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Milkman Dan is not a dad, desc.

He is an ideal.

quid isn't he usually talking to the dad or the son in the strips?

Usually he appears opposite Karen, who probably deserves it.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I already watched a movie

but it is too early to go to sleep

hrumph

King of the hill episode?

I am watching Hannibal on the on demand thinger. Decent show.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    My dog is so happy to see me. :)
    Mandarin also has funny stuff like, "to look" is kan, and if you wanted to tell someone "look at this" you say kan kan.

Stuff like this interests me because it kind of retroactively makes you understand the way native Chinese speakers tend to talk in English.

Also things like "le" as a distinct word denoting tense (and working in some weird other ways) that makes you feel sorry for them having to go through the bullshit of conjugating.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

He is an ideal.

it has been so long

that strip is from like 1998 or something right?
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @jacobkosh

I see
    desc on
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Now set them on fire.

@dyna I saw that shit last night. is gus ok?

what are you gonna do to the malefactor?
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wish I liked The Great Gatsby (novel) more. I feel like I'm missing out on part of the American experience!

Wait, it was intentional? I thought it was just your goose ass neighbor being negligent.
    there were mothballs scattered in front of one set of townhomes. Two of the occupants I spoke to were very nice and polite the third stormed out of her home when I was ringing someone else's doorbell and said I was trespassing and didn't like me skulking around etc.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I have a pair of pretty nice jeans

But they are just slightly too tight in the crotch/upper thigh area. Perfect everywhere else.

quality humble brag right here.

Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    i have never had a problem saying goodbye to a lady when i don't feel like good things are gonna happen. i mean, after my first or second entangling with a lady. what's wrong, abd? has something happened of which i'm unaware? as things stand your behavior confuses me.

Well it's far beyond.my first or second or seventh entangling with the lady

oh no, i guess i wasn't clear. i meant after the first time or two i had a thing with a girl- so like, by my third hookup/relationship i recognized pretty early on with the next girl whether i didn't feel strongly about someone in the appropriate ways.

if it's been that many times that y'all have been together why is this still an ambiguous or confusing thing for you? what's the deal? give me details including birthdays and eye colors.

Brown eyes and born one year and a week and three days after me.

Also I knew pretty early on that I did not feel strongly about her in the appropriate ways.
    xlh6c3.png
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    come on, b's, close this shit out
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I wish I liked The Great Gatsby (novel) more. I feel like I'm missing out on part of the American experience!

You're not. No one can ever make a good Gatsby movie - it is the white whale of american film adaptation.

It simply cannot be done.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Also I think a lot of weirdness in Chinese (in particular, the tonality) comes from the fact that their words pretty much max-out at two syllables (as far as I know).

Huge difference from Japanese that has bullshit like hajimemashite and itadakimasu.

I have a pet theory that the Axis forces in WWII were founded on a mutual complete disregard for an economy of syllables in their words.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular

I liked it because it got soap opera-y. After awhile I was like "Oh no this bitch didn't!"
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    come on, b's, close this shit out

You're a bad man. My Prime Minister warned me about people like you!
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    I've been strongly considering changing my av to:

tumblr_inline_mmb043QntQ1qz4rgp.gif

But I have grown quite attached to my red panda.

@Ravenhpltc24 dont do it your current one is great and that ones not
    sig.gif
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Today I learnt:

04600428.gif

04610429.gif

The 14th was ratified at explicit gunpoint (more or less). This doesn't matter to judicial theory, but it does obviously matter vis-a-vis loosely social-contract interpretations of constitutional authority.
    ronya on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Also I think a lot of weirdness in Chinese (in particular, the tonality) comes from the fact that their words pretty much max-out at two syllables (as far as I know).

Huge difference from Japanese that has bullshit like hajimemashite and itadakimasu.

I have a pet theory that the Axis forces in WWII were founded on a mutual complete disregard for an economy of syllables in their words.

omae wa mou shindeiru
    turtlesig.jpg
    simonwolf wrote: »

omae wa mou shindeiru

Why does google translate not understand romanji?

What is this bullshit?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular

Did you try to induce vomiting or would that have been a bad idea
    simonwolf wrote: »

omae wa mou shindeiru

Why does google translate not understand romanji?

What is this bullshit?

I'll make it easier for you

お前はもう死んでいる
    turtlesig.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i have never had a problem saying goodbye to a lady when i don't feel like good things are gonna happen. i mean, after my first or second entangling with a lady. what's wrong, abd? has something happened of which i'm unaware? as things stand your behavior confuses me.

oh no, i guess i wasn't clear. i meant after the first time or two i had a thing with a girl- so like, by my third hookup/relationship i recognized pretty early on with the next girl whether i didn't feel strongly about someone in the appropriate ways.

if it's been that many times that y'all have been together why is this still an ambiguous or confusing thing for you? what's the deal? give me details including birthdays and eye colors.

Also I knew pretty early on that I did not feel strongly about her in the appropriate ways.

so what's the deal here, are you just trying to be nice slash kind of a scaredy cat?

i don't wanna get all cliche (i got a rep to maintain as an irreverent trickster, after all) but that obviously won't work out great
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Ravenhpltc24

I have a superior av for you:

250px-Biter.jpg

That's right. I see everything.

He is an ideal.

it has been so long

that strip is from like 1998 or something right?

Don't remember; I read it in college, which was late 90s, so possibly.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    butts
    NO.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    butts

where
    turtlesig.jpg
    So It Goes wrote: »
    butts

Sigmund

there were mothballs scattered in front of one set of townhomes. Two of the occupants I spoke to were very nice and polite the third stormed out of her home when I was ringing someone else's doorbell and said I was trespassing and didn't like me skulking around etc.

You want I should poop on her lawn?
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    I've been strongly considering changing my av to:

tumblr_inline_mmb043QntQ1qz4rgp.gif

But I have grown quite attached to my red panda.

@Ravenhpltc24 dont do it your current one is great and that ones not

I feel like Raven may be having a day a Freudian Analyst could squeeze a few off to. First, threatening that avatar then overrating bananas. When's the Popsicle eating contest?
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

so what's the deal here, are you just trying to be nice slash kind of a scaredy cat?

i don't wanna get all cliche (i got a rep to maintain as an irreverent trickster, after all) but that obviously won't work out great

To be all cynical and pessimistic about it, it is easier to keep doing it than not.

to be more positive, I was hoping that feelings would follow. It kinda came out of nowhere, after all.

feelings didn't follow on my end.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.