Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Whoops!

Sylvia Browne's Failed Amanda Berry Prediction Returns To Haunt Her.
    Celebrity psychic Sylvia Browne is doing damage control over a prediction made nearly 10 years ago claiming Ohio kidnapping victim Amanda Berry was dead, but her actions may represent a watershed moment in how Americans view psychics.

"The [Ariel Castro abduction] is a test case for all psychics," said Joe Nickell, editor of Skeptical Inquirer, a magazine that encourages science-based analysis of paranormal and fringe-science claims. "Why didn't one psychic wake up in the middle of the night and know where they were?"

Browne told Louwana Miller, the mother of Amanda Berry, on "The Montel Williams Show" in 2004: "She’s not alive, honey. Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call," The Atlantic Wire reported. Berry was kidnapped 10 years ago and was found alive on Monday.

Yes, asshole 'psychics' aren't always accurate. That's the lesson to be gleaned from this tragic episode.

Like. I get the hate on psychics,I just don't get the outrage some people have over them. There's always gonna be profiteering off victims.

That would be the reason for the outrage.

Yeah, but then it's just semantics, and you can be victim to enabling crazy Scientology arguments with mental heath care..

whut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_psychiatry

Not helping.

Are you suggesting that mental health care is profiteering?

I mean, in the US, it pretty much is, because the healthcare system is fucked, but I'm not seeing what that has to do with psychics.

Read the part about Hubbard, it's pretty similar. I prefer to let individuals decide what they find value in. I'm not pro-psychic by any means, but I couldn't be angry that they're allowed to practice their profession without feeling similar feelings about abortion doctors and money lenders (according to some people.)

o_O

Frauds are Frauds. Frauds who prey on the weak and the desperate are especially odious. People who prey on the weak and the desperate generally are terrible.

And beauty's in the eye of the beholder.. It's easy to get on a pedestal and talk about frauds, but I think it's not nearly as black and white as you're making it out, and I don't see even an attempt at addressing my points.

It's very easy and it is stark fucking black and white when we're talking about psychics.

Psychics are bullshit, period. And when they're preying on people desperate for anything, they're also despicable people.
    xlh6c3.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Whoops!

Celebrity psychic Sylvia Browne is doing damage control over a prediction made nearly 10 years ago claiming Ohio kidnapping victim Amanda Berry was dead, but her actions may represent a watershed moment in how Americans view psychics.

"The [Ariel Castro abduction] is a test case for all psychics," said Joe Nickell, editor of Skeptical Inquirer, a magazine that encourages science-based analysis of paranormal and fringe-science claims. "Why didn't one psychic wake up in the middle of the night and know where they were?"

Browne told Louwana Miller, the mother of Amanda Berry, on "The Montel Williams Show" in 2004: "She’s not alive, honey. Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call," The Atlantic Wire reported. Berry was kidnapped 10 years ago and was found alive on Monday.

Yes, asshole 'psychics' aren't always accurate. That's the lesson to be gleaned from this tragic episode.

Like. I get the hate on psychics,I just don't get the outrage some people have over them. There's always gonna be profiteering off victims.

Yeah, but then it's just semantics, and you can be victim to enabling crazy Scientology arguments with mental heath care..

whut

Not helping.

I mean, in the US, it pretty much is, because the healthcare system is fucked, but I'm not seeing what that has to do with psychics.

Read the part about Hubbard, it's pretty similar. I prefer to let individuals decide what they find value in. I'm not pro-psychic by any means, but I couldn't be angry that they're allowed to practice their profession without feeling similar feelings about abortion doctors and money lenders (according to some people.)

o_O

Frauds are Frauds. Frauds who prey on the weak and the desperate are especially odious. People who prey on the weak and the desperate generally are terrible.

And beauty's in the eye of the beholder.. It's easy to get on a pedestal and talk about frauds, but I think it's not nearly as black and white as you're making it out, and I don't see even an attempt at addressing my points.

I'm still not sure what your point is.
    Elki wrote: »
    Do any of you climb? I need vague advice. Things to expect, etc.

what kind of climbing?
    xlh6c3.png
    also I would chime in with japan and say that I don't really know what your points are
    xlh6c3.png
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    So, yoga is challenging.

People could see through your lululemon pants too, huh?

I have seen the lack of underwear on two women in the city thus far. Its one of those moments where you notice it, but saying anything to the person is impossible because "hey there I saw your vag you might want to change your pants" will always come across as total creeper.
    meat.jpg
    syndalis wrote: »
    So, yoga is challenging.

People could see through your lululemon pants too, huh?

I have seen the lack of underwear on two women in the city thus far. Its one of those moments where you notice it, but saying anything to the person is impossible because "hey there I saw your vag you might want to change your pants" will always come across as total creeper.

there is no reason to say something.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

To compare nerds feelings about psychics with Scientologists and their hatred of psychiatry, and fundamentalists and their hatred of abortion doctors. I understand the emotions, and aspire for the same degree of civility, but it's just not the norm in this world. While I would never pay for a psychic myself, I would be upset if that option was taken from me.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Phew. Stage 6 of Gradius III arcade mode down. 4 to go!
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

'Psychics' are in fact 100% fraudulent.
    tea-1.jpg
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Do any of you climb? I need vague advice. Things to expect, etc.

what kind of climbing?

Inside a place, with things.

http://climbnashville.com/

I'm going to be mostly bouldering during the first month.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    I really sort of wish I wasn't so attracted to lesbians.

Is it the fact that they are lesbians, or is it the stereotypical norm dress / hair / styling of lesbians?

Because you can totally find the latter on a straight or bi girl.

More straight girls with undercuts please.
    Spock is sporting an undercut currently

if8F3JJ.jpg?1
    jBEKRTH.png
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

To compare nerds feelings about psychics with Scientologists and their hatred of psychiatry, and fundamentalists and their hatred of abortion doctors. I understand the emotions, and aspire for the same degree of civility, but it's just not the norm in this world. While I would never pay for a psychic myself, I would be upset if that option was taken from me.

No-one's arguing that we illegalize them or anything. We just want less acceptance of it.
    xlh6c3.png
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Nobody's proposing banning psychics. They're still universally awful people, though.

Putting psychics and scientology on the same level as psychiatry is batshit.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

...what kind of abortion providers have you gone to that they're comparable to psychics?
    tea-1.jpg
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Nobody's proposing banning psychics. They're still universally awful people, though.

Putting psychics and scientology on the same level as psychiatry is batshit.

to be fair that's not what he's doing

the equivocation is that people who aren't ignorant are to psychics, as scientologists are to psychiatry and fundamentalists are to abortion doctors.

which I think is a poor one because all three cases are very different
    xlh6c3.png
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I kept reading that sociology.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
    Like, did they just stare at a woman's uterus for an hour or something?
    tea-1.jpg
    anyway

the main difference in this specific case is a very simple one:

two are wrong and one is right.
    xlh6c3.png

he's not comparing psychics and abortion clinics.
    xlh6c3.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

It's weird to me that psychics are less regulated against than abortion doctors.

Maybe psychic abortion doctors would fare better.

he's not comparing psychics and abortion clinics.

He should be because combining the two is hilarious to me.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

No-one's arguing that we illegalize them or anything. We just want less acceptance of it.

And I'm arguing against that sort of belligerence. Unless laws are enacted, I just don't see any positive coming from feeling of aggression over inconsequential things. Yes, if your family went bankrupt because your parents wasted all their money paying that palm reader trying to find your baby sister, I feel for you, but is this any different than a family that got talked into too much house/car for them? Or that invested in a negative expected value financial product, that had full disclosures?

One thing I've learned to value as I age is good information/knowledge. I understand wanting to not let liars perpetuate falsehoods, but everyone lies at some point or another. Whether to others or themselves, and I'm just saying that being aggressive towards fully lawful purveyors is a recipe for injustice.
    Fun fact: contraceptive drugs are present in the water supply of many places at homeopathic concentrations.
    Shivahn wrote: »

It's weird to me that psychics are less regulated against than abortion doctors.

wait, that's weird to you?

I mean

there's not really a lot of things about psychics that need regulation

since they do nothing
    xlh6c3.png
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

Baby benders?
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

...what kind of abortion providers have you gone to that they're comparable to psychics?

You feel psychics have no value, fundamentalists feel abortion doctors have no value, is this logic not clearly similar?

I mean

since they do nothing

Nah it's not really weird, that wasn't the right word.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

And I'm arguing against that sort of belligerence. Unless laws are enacted, I just don't see any positive coming from feeling of aggression over inconsequential things. Yes, if your family went bankrupt because your parents wasted all their money paying that palm reader trying to find your baby sister, I feel for you, but is this any different than a family that got talked into too much house/car for them? Or that invested in a negative expected value financial product, that had full disclosures?

One thing I've learned to value as I age is good information/knowledge. I understand wanting to not let liars perpetuate falsehoods, but everyone lies at some point or another. Whether to others or themselves, and I'm just saying that being aggressive towards fully lawful purveyors is a recipe for injustice.

Aggressive? The hell you're on about?

this isn't complicated.

charlatans of all stripes = bad

how do we get less of it? Legally ban it? No. No need, no cause for it.

Less ignorance going around = less charlatans.
    xlh6c3.png
    Fun fact: contraceptive drugs are present in the water supply of many places at homeopathic concentrations.

Oh my god

We're gonna be dealing with a wave of spontaneous virgin births soon.
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular

Right, but by homeopathic logic, that should cause increased fertility.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Fundamentalists also feel that psychics have no value.
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    aaaaand I lost. Fuck.
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    For what it's worth, psychics can be prosecuted for fraud under trading standards law in the UK.

They rarely are though. Most of them operate under a series of disclaimers that they are offering an entertainment experience only, they can't claim they can actually contact the dead (unless they're willing to evidence that claim somehow).
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    I really sort of wish I wasn't so attracted to lesbians.

Is it the fact that they are lesbians, or is it the stereotypical norm dress / hair / styling of lesbians?

Because you can totally find the latter on a straight or bi girl.

More straight girls with undercuts please.
    Spock is sporting an undercut currently

if8F3JJ.jpg?1

No.
    Ian putting my foot down.
    If we allow this shit to continue its only a matter of time before mushroom cuts come back.
    Someone get the clippers and shave the rest of spock's dome
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Aggressive? The hell you're on about?

this isn't complicated.

charlatans of all stripes = bad

how do we get less of it? Legally ban it? No. No need, no cause for it.

Less ignorance going around = less charlatans.

I agree, but I think summarizing the previous posts about psychics as anything, but aggressive is disingenuous.
    MadCaddy on
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

You feel psychics have no value, fundamentalists feel abortion doctors have no value, is this logic not clearly similar?

Not even kinda. Groups that are opposed to Roe v Wade feel that abortion doctors are providing a value. It is just a value that they consider antithetical to a just and moral legal system, ie sanctioned murder/infanticide.

'Psychics' aren't providing a value that I consider to be wrong, they are simply not providing a value at all. Because they aren't actually psychic.
    tea-1.jpg

I mean

since they do nothing
    Maybe they should be required to show clients a government notice explaining that there's no evidence for any psychic phenomena
    jBEKRTH.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Good lord. Scientologists not liking psychiatry is not the same as "nerds" not liking psychics.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
    edited May 2013
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Fundamentalists tend to have issues with abortion doctors because they think they're murderers, not because they're charlatans. I don't think you'd find many people making the argument that abortion doctors are taking people's money and not actually carrying out the service they're selling.

That, they'd probably approve of, if anything.
This discussion has been closed.