Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Whoops!

Sylvia Browne's Failed Amanda Berry Prediction Returns To Haunt Her.
    Celebrity psychic Sylvia Browne is doing damage control over a prediction made nearly 10 years ago claiming Ohio kidnapping victim Amanda Berry was dead, but her actions may represent a watershed moment in how Americans view psychics.

"The [Ariel Castro abduction] is a test case for all psychics," said Joe Nickell, editor of Skeptical Inquirer, a magazine that encourages science-based analysis of paranormal and fringe-science claims. "Why didn't one psychic wake up in the middle of the night and know where they were?"

Browne told Louwana Miller, the mother of Amanda Berry, on "The Montel Williams Show" in 2004: "She’s not alive, honey. Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call," The Atlantic Wire reported. Berry was kidnapped 10 years ago and was found alive on Monday.

Yes, asshole 'psychics' aren't always accurate. That's the lesson to be gleaned from this tragic episode.

Like. I get the hate on psychics,I just don't get the outrage some people have over them. There's always gonna be profiteering off victims.

That would be the reason for the outrage.

Yeah, but then it's just semantics, and you can be victim to enabling crazy Scientology arguments with mental heath care..

whut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_psychiatry

Not helping.

Are you suggesting that mental health care is profiteering?

I mean, in the US, it pretty much is, because the healthcare system is fucked, but I'm not seeing what that has to do with psychics.

Read the part about Hubbard, it's pretty similar. I prefer to let individuals decide what they find value in. I'm not pro-psychic by any means, but I couldn't be angry that they're allowed to practice their profession without feeling similar feelings about abortion doctors and money lenders (according to some people.)

o_O

Frauds are Frauds. Frauds who prey on the weak and the desperate are especially odious. People who prey on the weak and the desperate generally are terrible.

And beauty's in the eye of the beholder.. It's easy to get on a pedestal and talk about frauds, but I think it's not nearly as black and white as you're making it out, and I don't see even an attempt at addressing my points.

I'm still not sure what your point is.

To compare nerds feelings about psychics with Scientologists and their hatred of psychiatry, and fundamentalists and their hatred of abortion doctors. I understand the emotions, and aspire for the same degree of civility, but it's just not the norm in this world. While I would never pay for a psychic myself, I would be upset if that option was taken from me.

...what kind of abortion providers have you gone to that they're comparable to psychics?

You feel psychics have no value, fundamentalists feel abortion doctors have no value, is this logic not clearly similar?

Not even kinda. Groups that are opposed to Roe v Wade feel that abortion doctors are providing a value. It is just a value that they consider antithetical to a just and moral legal system, ie sanctioned murder/infanticide.

'Psychics' aren't providing a value that I consider to be wrong, they are simply not providing a value at all. Because they aren't actually psychic.

Where are these adamantly opposed fundamentalist that'll admit abortion has value? We're still arguing over evolution in the US, you realize?
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Missed train by seconds... Fucking jersey stupid train for dumbs
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Fun fact: contraceptive drugs are present in the water supply of many places at homeopathic concentrations.

So is pee.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I have always had a very soft spot for Life Force. I know it's a Gradius knock-off, but it's so good.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
    Yea, I don't think my point is gonna get made by me at this point, as I've done my best, ad I got some work to do. I respect your guys position. I just dislike seeing similar reactions to psychics as to Ariel in Cleveland... I don't feel they're similar in the least.
    Whoops!

Celebrity psychic Sylvia Browne is doing damage control over a prediction made nearly 10 years ago claiming Ohio kidnapping victim Amanda Berry was dead, but her actions may represent a watershed moment in how Americans view psychics.

"The [Ariel Castro abduction] is a test case for all psychics," said Joe Nickell, editor of Skeptical Inquirer, a magazine that encourages science-based analysis of paranormal and fringe-science claims. "Why didn't one psychic wake up in the middle of the night and know where they were?"

Browne told Louwana Miller, the mother of Amanda Berry, on "The Montel Williams Show" in 2004: "She’s not alive, honey. Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call," The Atlantic Wire reported. Berry was kidnapped 10 years ago and was found alive on Monday.

Yes, asshole 'psychics' aren't always accurate. That's the lesson to be gleaned from this tragic episode.

Like. I get the hate on psychics,I just don't get the outrage some people have over them. There's always gonna be profiteering off victims.

Yeah, but then it's just semantics, and you can be victim to enabling crazy Scientology arguments with mental heath care..

whut

Not helping.

I mean, in the US, it pretty much is, because the healthcare system is fucked, but I'm not seeing what that has to do with psychics.

Read the part about Hubbard, it's pretty similar. I prefer to let individuals decide what they find value in. I'm not pro-psychic by any means, but I couldn't be angry that they're allowed to practice their profession without feeling similar feelings about abortion doctors and money lenders (according to some people.)

o_O

Frauds are Frauds. Frauds who prey on the weak and the desperate are especially odious. People who prey on the weak and the desperate generally are terrible.

And beauty's in the eye of the beholder.. It's easy to get on a pedestal and talk about frauds, but I think it's not nearly as black and white as you're making it out, and I don't see even an attempt at addressing my points.

To compare nerds feelings about psychics with Scientologists and their hatred of psychiatry, and fundamentalists and their hatred of abortion doctors. I understand the emotions, and aspire for the same degree of civility, but it's just not the norm in this world. While I would never pay for a psychic myself, I would be upset if that option was taken from me.

...what kind of abortion providers have you gone to that they're comparable to psychics?

You feel psychics have no value, fundamentalists feel abortion doctors have no value, is this logic not clearly similar?

Not even kinda. Groups that are opposed to Roe v Wade feel that abortion doctors are providing a value. It is just a value that they consider antithetical to a just and moral legal system, ie sanctioned murder/infanticide.

'Psychics' aren't providing a value that I consider to be wrong, they are simply not providing a value at all. Because they aren't actually psychic.

Where are these adamantly opposed fundamentalist that'll admit abortion has value? We're still arguing over evolution in the US, you realize?

An service is being performed as represented. Whether or not they approve of said action is irrellevant.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    whats the best way to level in neverwinter? just grind?
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

They disagree with it.

They don't not believe in it.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Umm, all of them? That's why they're so adamantly opposed to abortion in the first place. If they thought that at the end of a procedure nothing had actually happened to the fetus I doubt they'd care nearly as much.
    tea-1.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Fun fact: contraceptive drugs are present in the water supply of many places at homeopathic concentrations.

So is pee.

Realistically, pretty much anything is, given the level of dilution involved in some homeopathic "preparations". Contraceptive drugs are just the funniest. Especially since the same drugs can be used for medical abortions.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I missed my plane once by seconds because of a combination of airline ineptitude and security confiscating my toothpaste.

I was so mad I almost went on a rampage, but they had confiscated my toothpaste so I couldn't.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Good lord. Scientologists not liking psychiatry is not the same as "nerds" not liking psychics.

"Nerds"? Am I using pejorative vernacular now? :rotate:
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have always had a very soft spot for Life Force. I know it's a Gradius knock-off, but it's so good.

It is actually part of the Gradius series. It was also made by Konsmi.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Fundamentalists tend to have issues with abortion doctors because they think they're murderers, not because they're charlatans. I don't think you'd find many people making the argument that abortion doctors are taking people's money and not actually carrying out the service they're selling.

That, they'd probably approve of, if anything.

They believe that abortion doctors exploit pregnant women for profit, though. I've heard more people rationalize that people perform abortions for the money than simply treating them as homocidal killers in it for the kicks.
    We should have a federal ban on psychics operating without a license. Just hire a guy, give him an office, some application forms and a "denied" stamp. charge $500 per license application.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

An service is being performed as represented. Whether or not they approve of said action is irrellevant.

And psychics are spending their time with clients just the same as a psychiatrist, it's just an argument over the valuation of the practices that both perform.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

And psychics are spending their time with clients just the same as a psychiatrist, it's just an argument over the valuation of the practices that both perform.

Not really, the psychic isn't performing any service, which is the crux of the issue.
    I'm using Siri to phone post on the platform l Evernote probably thinks in a crazy
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Psychiatrists are licensed
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    Shivahn wrote: »

I missed my plane once by seconds because of a combination of airline ineptitude and security confiscating my toothpaste.

I was so mad I almost went on a rampage, but they had confiscated my toothpaste so I couldn't.

My first fight was in 2001 pre-9/11. I got to the airport fifteen minutes before my flight, and made it and had a whole row of seats to myself on Southwest outta Ontario. My next flight was in December of 2001, and they made me throw away over $100 worth of toiletries, and made me miss my flight while they ran a chemical analysis of a swab they used on my laptop.
    MadCaddy on
    I didn't think Evernote was so judgmental.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Fundamentalists tend to have issues with abortion doctors because they think they're murderers, not because they're charlatans. I don't think you'd find many people making the argument that abortion doctors are taking people's money and not actually carrying out the service they're selling.

That, they'd probably approve of, if anything.

They believe that abortion doctors exploit pregnant women for profit, though. I've heard more people rationalize that people perform abortions for the money than simply treating them as homicidal killers in it for the kicks.

In the process of actually performing an abortion.

If the 'psychics' were actually talking to your dead grandma then I wouldn't have a problem with them charging money for it.
    tea-1.jpg
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

Not really, the psychic isn't performing any service, which is the crux of the issue.

I would say that they are performing a service, it's just... not what's advertised.

Like "We will repair your car with all new fancypants metal somethingfancyword parts" and then they use regular metal boringwords.

I have a morning flight on Tuesday. I'm getting chest pains thinking about car service being late
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Psychiatrists are licensed

And so are psychics, where laws compel.

My first fight was in 2001 pre-9/11. I got to the airport fifteen minutes before my flight, and made it and had a whole row of seats to myself on Southwest outta Ontario. My next flight was in December of 2001, and they made me throw away over $100 worth of toiletries, and made me miss my flight while they ran a chemical analysis of a swab they used on my laptop.

I don't fly anymore.

It is my ineffectual one person rage against the system.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Haha beasto and me as well

Missed my train from Newark because the idiots in front of me took their time with the card machine

Beast missed his train from the WTC because his subway train was super slow.

Mothafuckin weekend transit m I rite

I have a morning flight on Tuesday. I'm getting chest pains thinking about car service being late

Yeah air travel is sure a thing now.
    And lets just make it more like for like and go psychologists/therapists.. It's all dependent on the culture, and I prefer to allow individuals the ability to choose what credentials they need to seek catharsis.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    We should have a federal ban on psychics operating without a license. Just hire a guy, give him an office, some application forms and a "denied" stamp. charge $500 per license application.
    Anybody who has passed the James Randi million dollar challenge can have a license
    jBEKRTH.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_d04eGKAqOs

This guy gets to the very end of a hard as fuck shooter and dies in literally the last 20 seconds of the game.

I don't fly anymore.

Gonna be a LONG drive to Charm City?
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i have grown impervious to the stresses of air travel. i'm actually a fairly anxious worrier in general so i don't know how this happened, but i've achieved zen-like levels of not-give-a-fuck (even though with my passport situation i get screened pretty often). touch my nutsack, dudes. touch it, trace it to my taint. giving no fucks, brahs.
    Organichu on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    MadCaddy, you are dealing in nonsense and liquid human failure at bulk rates

enough
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Things I enjoy: James Randi debunking psychics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo
    jBEKRTH.png

I don't fly anymore.

Gonna be a LONG drive to Charm City?

Yes basically for the near future there will be a lot of long driving.
    Whoops!

whut

Not helping.

o_O

I would say that they are performing a service, it's just... not what's advertised.

Like "We will repair your car with all new fancypants metal somethingfancyword parts" and then they use regular metal boringwords.

A better analogy might be promising to repair the car, taking off the old parts, cleaning them up so they look like new parts, and then refitting them.

Which you may or may not be surprised to know is not uncommon. Usually with suspension components because those are the things people are least likely to notice.
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have grown impervious to the stresses of air travel. i'm actually a fairly anxious worrier in general so i don't know how this happened, but i've achieved zen-like levels of not-give-a-fuck (even though with my passport situation i get screened pretty often). touch my nutsack, dudes. touch it, trace it to my taint. giving no fucks, brahs.

That's awesome. I suspect I'll get there if/when I'm passing again. For now though, not worth it.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I rarely fly and everytime I do I get stressed out because you usually have to be there so many hours ahead of time and have all your credentials in order and I'm always worried about profiling even though I haven't ever really experienced it first hand

I'm just anxious u no
    Hakkekage on
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I rarely fly and everytime I do I get stressed out because you usually have to be there so many hours ahead of time and have all your credentials in order and I'm always worried about profiling even though I haven't ever really experienced it first hand

I'm just anxious u no

Like half of Penny Arcade has anxiety disorders I swear.
This discussion has been closed.