Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    when pot is legal I wonder if it will be legal to brew beer with pot in it

probably be a giant hassle to get cleared for that

i hear that hops and marijuana are really closely related tho

yeah I think they're in the same family

I was thinking of it like the old absinthe that had hallucinogens or whatever

i think it turned out that absinthe being hallucinogenic was like 99% myth

like, thujone is mostly just toxic and not used in the needed concentrations in absinthe to trigger those sorts of effects anyhow

iirc, absinthe became faddish and available at about the same time that distilled liquor became low-cost enough that the general population could afford it

so parisians who were used to drinking wine and beer instead were sucking down absinthe (100-140 proof and sometimes up) in immoderate quantities and getting really really fucked up

oh, interesting

*sips absinthe, stumbles to nearest opium den*
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

like, thujone is mostly just toxic and not used in the needed concentrations in absinthe to trigger those sorts of effects anyhow

iirc, absinthe became faddish and available at about the same time that distilled liquor became low-cost enough that the general population could afford it

so parisians who were used to drinking wine and beer instead were sucking down absinthe (100-140 proof and sometimes up) in immoderate quantities and getting really really fucked up

It was also a time when all kinds of drugs were freely available and heavily used. Someone could well have been tripping balls because of something else they took and blamed it on the Absinthe.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    i still want to drink absinthe though

invite a lady back to my place for some of the ol' green fairy

show off my fancy absinthe spoon

yeah

Gonna get yourself an absinthe goddess?
    Absinthe is horrible.

I'd drink her all night long.
    Absinthe is pretty peaty, to be sure.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    that being said i fucking love abisnthe and have been known at times to just have a bottle on my and slug away at the bottle
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait

Puerto Ricans are still very kidnappable though right?

No.

We are not.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    apt-get > yum

I've had to use CentOS all week, and am probably gonna have to start working on RHEL regularly. All my work bros are real mad, they're all about Ubuntu (Unity sucks though IMO)
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    American absinthe is basically licorice liqueur as wormwood is the main ingredient in real absinthe.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Wait

No.

We are not.

Dammit.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    also the people who evangelized about the hypnotic properties most of the time also happened to be opium addicts

absinthe is just like really boozy black licorice

Like Ouzo
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Charcoal is only a hassle if you consider lighting stuff on fire a hassle.

And last I checked everyone's favorite child hood toy was fire.

Really, the problem with charcoal is morons using too much lighter fluid.

So you taste lighter fluid instead.

But errybody knows wood chips are best grill fuel anyway.

and people never read the directions on the bag. You have to let the charcoal heat up for quite a while after lighting. Even if you use too much lighter fluid if you let the coals heat properly it would have burned off by then.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

yeah

I have had it with the slotted spoon and stuff (the kind sold in the us without the whatever ingredient)

it was neat as an experience but tastes like black licorice

*spits*

Wormwood is what you don't get in US Absynthe.

I thought we got rid of our restrictions in 2007?
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Like, Luanne was pregnant for something like three seasons.

Shit was cray cray.

I think the fetus just calcified or some shit.

how DOES a fetus calcify?

I'm just wondering, I'm not going to do anything terrible with the information.

<.< >.> <.<

It's a rare medical condition that arises in certain women when a miscarriage occurs, if I remember correctly, because the fetus doesn't attach correctly to the womb and is slightly off location so to speak.
    blame it on the goose, got you feelin loose
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    k-bigpic.png

I like that CT has a Women's Basketball coach as the highest paid.

What a joke m i rite ??

More like a bit of pride.

Oh.

I thought this conversation was going in a much more casually misogynist direction. My bad.

Understandable. But I grew up in Connecticut. Men's basketball was a powerhouse in the 90's when I was a student at UConn but the Women's team was one of the two dominant teams in Women's basketball.

Edit: Holy shit, I fucking hate the Chrome spellchecker.
    Thomamelas on
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

yeah

I have had it with the slotted spoon and stuff (the kind sold in the us without the whatever ingredient)

it was neat as an experience but tastes like black licorice

*spits*

Wormwood is what you don't get in US Absynthe.

I thought we got rid of our restrictions in 2007?

This could be true as I haven't actually thought about this in years :P
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Wait

No.

We are not.

we'll see
    American absinthe is basically licorice liqueur as wormwood is the main ingredient in real absinthe.

I've had both.

Both taste like fennel flavored ass.
    tumblr_lqx80s5HXX1qcfe6go1_500.jpg
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    desc wrote: »
    @podly none of the states on the map have techno producer as highest paid job

Everything is bullshit

that won't happen until our plan for the united states of america of detroit come to fruition

then jeff mills will be the highest paid by the syndicate and he will get a laurel of capacitors and transistors salvaged from broken 909s
    biden%20sig.png
    Man Geth is on the ball with kidnappers tonight.
    I'd like to try brewing beer

I think it would be more fun to make and drink with a friend, though
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Yes Geth, track Chu.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I mean, this article from the aforementioned blog isn't bad per se -- it more just states the obvious, ostensibly for the benefit of Clueless White People -- but I do wish anyone gave this much benefit-of-the-doubt and acknowledgement of group disparity to basically any group that isn't in the U.S. Turks are Turks; Arabs are Arabs; etc. On the international stage, groups we like are Groups We Like and Trust; groups we don't like or trust are Groups We Don't Like or Trust. There isn't room for differentiation or nuance.

/pent-up rant
    network_sig2.png
    Man Geth is on the ball with kidnappers tonight.

He can't stop all of us.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    also the people who evangelized about the hypnotic properties most of the time also happened to be opium addicts

Like Ouzo

Except if your banging back Ouzo then you're likely in the company of some very excitable Greeks. So you know it's gonna be a good time. With Absinthe you can expect moody writers. So...not so much fun.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Tool Time was the best TV show within a TV Show ever.
    The Man's Kitchen/Bath/Bedroom/Whatever segments were wonderful.
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Friend of mine used to drink Absinthe straight out of his hip flask.

Yes, I had acquaintances in high school who owned and wore on their person a hip flask at all times.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

yeah

it tastes like getting kicked in the mouth by the fennel gang

and left bleeding beside the street

really i kind of like it, but it is super licoricey/ anisey.

fun fact about absinthe:

when you add water, it turns cloudy.

why?

because the high-proof alcohol is supersaturated with fennel oil. it literally cannot hold any more.

when you add water, this changes the saturation tolerance of the absinthe and the fennel oil leaches out into the solution, making it cloudy
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

oh, interesting

*sips absinthe, stumbles to nearest opium den*

I didn't realize you were a late-19th century Chinaman.
    network_sig2.png
    i'm pretty sure "very excitable greeks" is a gay bar
    biden%20sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Like Ouzo

Except if your banging back Ouzo then you're likely in the company of some very excitable Greeks. So you know it's gonna be a good time. With Absinthe you can expect moody writers. So...not so much fun.

I can be fun, just when I'm not drinking Absinthe. Shit tastes like I'd expect moss would taste like if it was shoved in a blender.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    I do like art featuring Absinthe though.

I want this poster.

http://i.imgur.com/1p6RFH4.jpg

Mildly NSFW
    I'd like to try brewing beer

I think it would be more fun to make and drink with a friend, though

Two man moonshinin' operation?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i can totally order absinthe apparently

i'm tempted to
    Per3th.jpg
    i'm pretty sure "very excitable greeks" is a gay bar

That must be one hell of a symposium.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    foxy boxes
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »
    tumblr_lqx80s5HXX1qcfe6go1_500.jpg
    E24F9E69-33F2-4037-92A3-BA25966F958C-12612-000022CC783F2DD0.jpg
    Caveman Paws on
    I went to an absinthe bar in Dallas once.

Fun experience. Nice ambiance and the ritual of making the drink was fun.

Horrible drink though.
This discussion has been closed.