Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    storing files isn't as important as it used to be.

You can stream video

You can store your documents in dropbox

you can store your photos in dropbox (I prefer flickr for my for realsies photos. I keep a yearly subscription)

so it's pretty much games and software
    I have large MB, small GB files that I have to store frequently so the cloud has not been super happy with that.
    3FMmC.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @spacekungfuman
    Bought mrs deebs todo birch sunglasses for $200 more than the $30 sunglasses they look like.

I wanna be TB and charge $TEXAs for my logo

Dude, dude.

He can't come here any more.
    meat.jpg
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Fusion drives are a thing I definitely want to see go everywhere. That, or just make SSDs as big and cheap as platters, that'd work. For there are people who wish to tinker and fuss with what is where, and enjoy promoting a game to a place of honor on their SSD, or demoting that not-crappy-enough-to-delete movie to the depths of platter heck, but I am not one of these people, and managing multiple drives in a single system makes me itch and/or freeze up with the overwhelming possibilities.

Sun had the right idea with ZFS; screw figuring out what physical drive it's on, you just want it to go.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    houses on my block sell for anywhere between 85k and 125k
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    1250 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 1 bath
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    storing files isn't as important as it used to be.

You can stream video

You can store your documents in dropbox

you can store your photos in dropbox (I prefer flickr for my for realsies photos. I keep a yearly subscription)

so it's pretty much games and software
    I have large MB, small GB files that I have to store frequently so the cloud has not been super happy with that.

Well it has to deal with it because your a fuzzy storm cloud and can both out cute and out lightning the other clouds any day.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    So I had to replace my HDD and didn't transfer anything over. I downloaded Chrome again and I was ready to start getting all my extensions and bookmarks back but they were all there, installed and ready to go, as soon as I entered my email address.

Good work, Chrome

Chrome and safari both realizing that you want your browser bookmarks and general preferences to carry from location to location (or in some cases new install) is civilization.

I love living in the future.

Preferences are one thing, but do you make a lot of bookmarks? Maybe I'm unusual in that I've never really made use of them.

My bookmark bar is constantly used between my iPad, MacBook Air and iMac.

Quick taps to get to the 20 or so sites I visit daily.

Fair enough.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Healthcare threads always make me sad.

The NHS is pretty good guys

I promise <3
    camo_sig2.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Is Torchlight II different enough from Diablo III to be worth $6.79?
    network_sig2.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    That upcoming movie, "Now you see me", looks tremendously stupid.

It's a heist movie where the protagonists have literal magic powers... That sounds really stupid to me for a premise.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Fusion drives are a thing I definitely want to see go everywhere. That, or just make SSDs as big and cheap as platters, that'd work. For there are people who wish to tinker and fuss with what is where, and enjoy promoting a game to a place of honor on their SSD, or demoting that not-crappy-enough-to-delete movie to the depths of platter heck, but I am not one of these people, and managing multiple drives in a single system makes me itch and/or freeze up with the overwhelming possibilities.

Sun had the right idea with ZFS; screw figuring out what physical drive it's on, you just want it to go.

It's such a fantastic idea for drives to broadcast their speed and capability to the file system, then the system just adds the capacity to your overall storage, and moves constantly accessed things to the faster drives on its own.

Sun pioneered, Apple executed, and eventually everyone will have it. It's the right direction for storage technology to go.
    meat.jpg
    Hamurabi wrote: »

i haven't played Diablo 3.

but yes. It's more like Diablo 2.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It's my understanding that Torchlight 2 is actually not, you know, a steaming pile, so, yes, quite different.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

If you like Diabloesq games definitely. There's a lot of game there for seven bucks.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    Had fun meeting @Haphazard today. He is a scholar and a gentleman.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's my understanding that Torchlight 2 is actually not, you know, a steaming pile, so, yes, quite different.

Diablo III is hardly a steaming pile
    JKKaAGp.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    944348_422244574540814_606691461_n.png
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).

YES.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Subjective things be subjective, but Diablo 3 was garbage.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • TavTav Registered User regular

It's almost a steaming pile. If only it was a bit better.

It's a shiny, well polished and functional turd with a dollar sign and a slot machine strapped to it, how about that?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

It's such a fantastic idea for drives to broadcast their speed and capability to the file system, then the system just adds the capacity to your overall storage, and moves constantly accessed things to the faster drives on its own.

Sun pioneered, Apple executed, and eventually everyone will have it. It's the right direction for storage technology to go.

someone on a forum was selling used SSDs and did screenshots from some program that showed how many hours of use they had, how many read/writes, expected blow up date and health

I dont know if os x or windows does this yet, but I'd love if the system was like hey youve gotten good use out of the z drive but its getting old, back your shit up in case it shits in the next 200 hours or whatever
    Corehealer wrote: »

It's a shiny, well polished and functional turd with a dollar sign and a slot machine strapped to it, how about that?

oh whoops server lag your hardcore character is dead
    edited May 2013
    Tav wrote: »

Maybe that's what Core meant? That it's functionally a turd?
    21stCentury on

someone on a forum was selling used SSDs and did screenshots from some program that showed how many hours of use they had, how many read/writes, expected blow up date and health

I dont know if os x or windows does this yet, but I'd love if the system was like hey youve gotten good use out of the z drive but its getting old, back your shit up in case it shits in the next 200 hours or whatever

hard drives are fickle beings

have your stuff backed up anyway
    Tav wrote: »

Maybe that's what Core meant? That it's functionally a turd?

Well only functionally when there's an Ethernet cable attached. Very important.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    944348_422244574540814_606691461_n.png

Then I guess I picked the right planet to land on.
    edited May 2013
    I did enjoy Diablo 3 for about 30 hours, so I don't think it's a bad game. But it sure as hell wasn't as good as Torchlight 2 despite the budget and development time differences, simply because TL2 has more soul and character, more customization, easier to mix and match graphics for dungeon generation, a slightly higher skill ceiling at later levels, mod support, and better OPTIONAL online co-op with up to 6 people.
    Corehealer on
    Well, that was delicious

Thanks for the rec @jacobkosh
    (Mom is already planning another visit, heh)
    Well, that was delicious

Thanks for the rec jacobkosh

What kinda restaurant was it?
    Speaking of which, I really should reinstall TL2 sometime and give it another whirl; I played it a lot in beta and a bit post launch but I've never been a huge fan of clickfest Diablo style games enough to sink hundreds of hours into them.

Path of Exile is pretty good too if you want a more Diablo 2 grimdark hardcore experience, but it's an always online F2P game.
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Coconut cream vanilla flan with a glaze of candied apple, brown sugar and cinnamon caramel sauce.

Is what I'm making for Mother's Day.
    Well, that was delicious

Thanks for the rec jacobkosh

What kinda restaurant was it?

BBQ.
    d3 is the last game I can remember being super hyped for

I woke up at 2 because I was excited for launch

went to bed at like 4 because the servers were borked

took the next day off to play
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    @y2jake215 eprom's "metahuman" is so good fffuu

@eddy

G2Dcf.jpg
    I got into D3 through peer pressure, which rarely happens because I usually know better then to buy expensive games purely on the advice of friends. Prior to that I had zero interest in it.

It turned out okay all things considered, but it still wasn't necessarily worth that $60.
    I took my mom out to brunch at a Texas style steakhouse downtown this morning, where they were doing a promotion where mothers eat free all day. It was pretty great.
    @sarksus what is that ios board game you were talking about

is it good
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    @eddy also this monster

G2Dcf.jpg
    I'm gonna play my first game of Raiders and Relics tonight, with Winky. I am scared.
This discussion has been closed.