Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I liked Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2...

i also have Brawl...

i regret getting my Wii. :\

I never owned a Wii but it couldn't have been that bad. You had plenty of non-Nintendo choices like Just Dance, Ninjabread Man, and Carnival Games.

... oh my god.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/12/04/just-dance-review

OH MY GOD.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332112/just-dance-sales-top-25-million/

They are some weird, but fun, games on the wii. Endless Ocean and Deadly Creatures come to mind.

Endless Ocean did not sound fun to me. From what I've pieced together, it's like driving around in a Grand Theft Auto game with no missions, no pedestrians, and no weapons - just exploring reefs and waving at passing sea turtles.

There are ...missions, of a sort. Objectives, unlocking areas as a story unfolds. Has some excellent , non-gamey music (some by Hayley Westenra; not everyone's cup of tea, admittedly). But, yes, most of is just "swim about taking pictures, explore underwater ruins, pet turtles and other fish."

Definitely not For Everyone, but I liked it.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Deebaser

I bought the Counting Crows CD this evening... I'd lost it years ago. You know the one - August and Everything After, circa 1993. I still remember all the lyrics to the entire thing.

90s music best music

60s-70s music better.

And that's for both the 18th and the 20th centuries.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Desc, I am dangerously on the edge and barely in control. I have a disrespect for authority and my ego is writing checks my body can't cash. Do you need another pilot?

I like the cut of your jib. There's only 4 pilots total in the squad.

You ... may end up being my first German Commander depending on how long this little intro campaign is.

Tell me how you feel about the dark side of the force and TIE interceptors
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Desc, I am dangerously on the edge and barely in control. I have a disrespect for authority and my ego is writing checks my body can't cash. Do you need another pilot?

I like the cut of your jib. There's only 4 pilots total in the squad.

You ... may end up being my first German Commander depending on how long this little intro campaign is.

Tell me how you feel about the dark side of the force and TIE interceptors

Real pilots fly TIE fighters.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    alright Broar is going in low and fast on the outside to try to bumrush the zeppelin

Corehealer and Deebs veered right and then swung in hard on the fokkers. I need you guys to ruin some Germans, nothing fancy.

Shivahn is kind of the bait for the Halberstadt but I'm sure she'll be fine.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    And since I can't edit that: there aren't weapons per se, but there is a device which "calms down" aggressive fish - like sharks. They can't hurt you; being attacked just drains your oxygen levels.
    Tamin on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    alright Broar is going in low and fast on the outside to try to bumrush the zeppelin

Corehealer and Deebs veered right and then swung in hard on the fokkers. I need you guys to ruin some Germans, nothing fancy.

Shivahn is kind of the bait for the Halberstadt but I'm sure she'll be fine.

I think she actually prefers being the bait sir. She's goading those Fritzs along a little too much.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Everyone back the torchbearer kickstarter now

bleh, looking at it now and am very unimpressed. Would rather play 4th ed or just bust out the Rules Cyclopedia.

Dumb

It's a more advanced version of mouse guard

Saying you would rather play 4th seems quite odd

The game is meant to be a crawler, but its meant to be about the same difficult decision making that all other BW games are

that's the point. When dungeon crawling I want interesting tactics and combat since that is the focus. Mousegaurd combat is a step up from some systems in how streamlined it is but it is basically taking the track of "we can't / wont make combat interesting in and of itself so we will make it less of a burden than most games". That's great in a setting where combat isn't the focus.

But I'd rather have 4e and interesting tactics in a dungeon crawl.

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

I guess that's one way to look at it

I mean, it's fundamentally wrong

But you can have an opinion

care to offer an actual argument or are you just gonna hipster it up as per usual?

Sure

Your criticism of the game shows a lack if understanding of the system. Combat, is not, as you said, more streamlined. Every action interacts with the other actions in its own way, which requires quite a bit of system mastery.

So, to say you want tactics and dismiss this system as being base ignores the deep strategic game of scripting and predicting.

Need more?

Obviously I have not played this system but the very first thing they decided to show in their kickstarter video, and something which takes a good chunk of it, is combat. And it is really deeply lame. The players described some very basic actions on their part then a pile of dice was rolled vs another pile of dice from the GM. Boom, they rolled better (huzah for randomness over tactics). Then far too much narrative occurs where the players have no opportunity to act or interject when they should (why can't they do anything while all those people are being dragged off?).

I was also basing my criticism off of mousegaurd which I do own. That did a great job of making combat take far less time (which is a good thing compared to games like D&D prior to 4th or GURPS or Pathfinder where it is basically the same idea - roll dice until HP = 0 - but takes far longer) because fighting things wasn't the focus of the game. Storytelling, interacting with NPCs (especially) and such were. Once the dice started rolling you just needed to resolve that quickly and get back to the "real game" for that system.

But in a dungeon crawl setting what are you getting back to?

Look at the skills and stats on that character sheet. Look at what they do in the video that the game makers decided to use to promote and show off their game. I do not see this as a setting or game style that it is at all well suited to the game mechanics they are using for it.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    I heard TIE/IN and came running.

Where do I sign up? I love those things.
    falasig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    @Deebaser

I bought the Counting Crows CD this evening... I'd lost it years ago. You know the one - August and Everything After, circa 1993. I still remember all the lyrics to the entire thing.

90s music best music

60s-70s music better.

ehhhh 60s music doesn't really count here. It's on a different scale.

70s definitely not. The 70s were a hate crime.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I heard TIE/IN and came running.

Where do I sign up? I love those things.

this is why you're my favorite

you and thom will be my most merciless germans
    oh fuck this is about to turn into a furball

plan B: everyone just threw some jabs and fans out and tries to use maneuverability to come in and get off hits first on a second pass while Broar punches through

broar: good job lighting up jerry while you were halfway through a barrel roll
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    i do not know how white girls just let their hair air dry. My hair is drippin' all over the place.

I hope my fro looks better in the morning...
    @Deebaser

90s music best music

60s-70s music better.

ehhhh 60s music doesn't really count here. It's on a different scale.

70s definitely not. The 70s were a hate crime.

tumblr_m67s7nU5uF1qhsceco1_500.gif
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular

bleh, looking at it now and am very unimpressed. Would rather play 4th ed or just bust out the Rules Cyclopedia.

Dumb

The game is meant to be a crawler, but its meant to be about the same difficult decision making that all other BW games are

that's the point. When dungeon crawling I want interesting tactics and combat since that is the focus. Mousegaurd combat is a step up from some systems in how streamlined it is but it is basically taking the track of "we can't / wont make combat interesting in and of itself so we will make it less of a burden than most games". That's great in a setting where combat isn't the focus.

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

care to offer an actual argument or are you just gonna hipster it up as per usual?

Sure

Your criticism of the game shows a lack if understanding of the system. Combat, is not, as you said, more streamlined. Every action interacts with the other actions in its own way, which requires quite a bit of system mastery.

So, to say you want tactics and dismiss this system as being base ignores the deep strategic game of scripting and predicting.

Need more?

Obviously I have not played this system but the very first thing they decided to show in their kickstarter video, and something which takes a good chunk of it, is combat. And it is really deeply lame. The players described some very basic actions on their part then a pile of dice was rolled vs another pile of dice from the GM. Boom, they rolled better (huzah for randomness over tactics). Then far too much narrative occurs where the players have no opportunity to act or interject when they should (why can't they do anything while all those people are being dragged off?).

I was also basing my criticism off of mousegaurd which I do own. That did a great job of making combat take far less time (which is a good thing compared to games like D&D prior to 4th or GURPS or Pathfinder where it is basically the same idea - roll dice until HP = 0 - but takes far longer) because fighting things wasn't the focus of the game. Storytelling, interacting with NPCs (especially) and such were. Once the dice started rolling you just needed to resolve that quickly and get back to the "real game" for that system.

Look at the skills and stats on that character sheet. Look at what they do in the video that the game makers decided to use to promote and show off their game. I do not see this as a setting or game style that it is at all well suited to the game mechanics they are using for it.

Kickstarter video is lame, true

Regarding skills, quite a bit is covered

For the things that are not, you can make those up

Your criticisms of fight! are still way the fuck off base
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    i do not know how white girls just let their hair air dry. My hair is drippin' all over the place.

i thought white girls used specially made love pink magic dryers
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

p sure most white girls don't, actually
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    @spool32
    Had a conversation earlier with @tapeslinger and @hakkegage where I claimed hook by blues traveler was the most perfect ironic pop song ever. They dusagreed
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Shields are for cowards and lesser pilots. Give me some fast engines, a few laser cannons and those rebs won't know what hit them.
    falasig.png

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

To be fair, when considering investing money in something, one should not have to "make stuff up" as much as possible unless it's to generate hype, which this niche take on dungeon crawls does not do. The things that are not should be fleshed out more by the video and the Kickstarter so people know what it is they are putting their money into. Otherwise people like Riemann will dissect that shit to death.

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

In what way is the video that the games creators chose to represent their product not representative?
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

To be fair, when considering investing money in something, one should not have to "make stuff up" as much as possible unless it's to generate hype, which this niche take on dungeon crawls does not do. The things that are not should be fleshed out more by the video and the Kickstarter so people know what it is they are putting their money into. Otherwise people like Riemann will dissect that shit to death.

I wasn't actually objecting to the number of skills being insufficient. If anything it seems to me there are an awful lot of them.
    Shields are for cowards and lesser pilots. Give me some fast engines, a few laser cannons and those rebs won't know what hit them.

Don't forget the duct tape!

redgreen_480x360.jpg

If the Twi'leks don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

The thing is, the skills on a character sheet DO cover most situations in a dungeoncrawl setting

He's making some pretty big generalizations based on some blatant misreadings

I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @spool32
    Had a conversation earlier with @tapeslinger and @hakkegage where I claimed hook by blues traveler was the most perfect ironic pop song ever. They dusagreed

That's because they're either deaf or insane.

It is not only the perfect ironic pop song in construction, in vocal tone, and in pacing, but its lyrics make it meta-ironic. It is laughing at itself through the lens of an ironic take on pop music.

Blues Traveler is fabulous and Hook is one of the smartest songs to come out of the genre.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    oh my god the d.ii keeps fucking flipping 180 degrees and firing on people

fucking krauts

also, numbers of fucks corhealer gives: 0

oh wow if you keep dropping elevation you can actually land your plane.

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

In what way is the video that the games creators chose to represent their product not representative?

Well, no

I have never played a game of burning wheel or DND that lame

In the same sense, no one session is the whole of DND but an example

There are good and bad examples

So, try again

• CindersCinders Registered User regular
    What game are you playing?
    *sips tea in cockpit as another of the Kaiser's lackeys meets the ground*

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

The thing is, the skills on a character sheet DO cover most situations in a dungeoncrawl setting

look man, maybe when you are trying to promote something you are obviously absurdly emotionally invested in you shouldn't come blustering in to chat all full of piss and hellfire. Calm the fuck down and try to actually discuss this instead of insulting me and acting like an asshole.

I can't be misreading this game as none of us have the rulebook. And I seriously doubt I am misreading Mousegaurd.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Speed is life.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    vanguard

bro to bro

you are coming in a little hot right now

i'll suck on your neck if that's what's needed but i'm saying, brah
    I was about to say again; how exactly are we misreading something when said something is not available to even be read yet? The lack of info is a bit discouraging.

This to me feels more like two guys slapping together a modification of Mouseguard and running with it as their own thing.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    are we really fighting over a pnp rulebook
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek

Dumb

Hahahahahahaahahaha

Okay

Sure

Need more?

look man, maybe when you are trying to promote something you are obviously absurdly emotionally invested in you shouldn't come blustering in to chat all full of piss and hellfire. Calm the fuck down and try to actually discuss this instead of insulting me and acting like an asshole.

I can't be misreading this game as none of us have the rulebook. And I seriously doubt I am misreading Mousegaurd.

I told everyone to back it

You were the one who insulted me first, so you can kindly fuck off if you think I came in here full of whatever

As to misreading, you absolutely are

Conflict is the crux if all these games

Saying that combat is meant to be quick is a misunderstanding

I'll gladly go grab my MG book to quote if you want, or you can go actually read the book
    Ludious wrote: »
    are we really fighting over a pnp rulebook

i don't even know what pnp is

are we really fighting over something that i don't know what you mean when you say are we really fighting over the thing
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    hey
    xlh6c3.png
    actually that's not true

i think i have heard pnp w.r.t. networking technology
    aha! upnp

i knew it was a thing

fuck you, brain
This discussion has been closed.