Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    the new rogerebert.com looks very nice
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    this is the game i want to play:

gameplay is a cross of Myth and Empire: total war games. you play as one of many necromancers gaining power during a bloody succession war in, like, europe or some shit. your necromancer is your general at the center of your army and as the campaign progresses you get area of effect spells and can raise more powerful minions like deathknights and hire less skilled necromancers to act as captains

gradually as you grow more powerful and threaten to plunge the continent into an age of undeath the various nations ally against you and begin raising paladins, who are good at killing undead dudes. and of course you're fighting your rival necromancers

your necromancers provide 'leadership' to your zombies by being close to them and making them more powerful

Look I am not saying that I have an erection right now.... But I am not not saying I have an erection right now.

i know right
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    My avatar is an immovable recognition of me. You see it, you think Corehealer. Or dragon thing, as Shivahn would say.

My sig is almost to the point of Narwhal levels of change, though I like my new Photoshop experimenting this time more.

I think it would probably be better with less my little pony fan art. Or more. You're at the least optimal level is what I'm saying.

But I don't want just ponies. I also don't want none. I am at an impasse.

Eventually I'll just start making my own rather then stitching shit together from the Internet.

Come on, go full pony. I found you a new one. I know it's good because it came with a big disclaimer stating "ALL THE CHARACTERS IN THIS PIC ARE OVER 18" in several languages.

I sort of want to show this sentence to a couple of random people and see what their reactions are

would be a fantastic psychology experiment

My personal response is "Why the fuck does that matter?"
    i was wondering if it could change scale, like at first you're commanding Myth sized squads, then empire total war, and then once you start sacking entire cities and raising hundreds of thousands of troops it becomes risk-style

but spore was the only game i've seen do that and that was p silly
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I am hearing all the right things about Grand Theft Auto V.

I mean, I was going to get it regardless, because the thing that all the GTAs have over every other open-world game is ambiance. Their worlds are places I enjoy for their own sake even when the gameplay and story and controls aren't there. But it sounds like some of those may have seen some improvement?

there is something about the tone of the gta games that i just find grating

like, before gta4, my problem was that the games had a really juvenile sense of humor and were kind of callow

so with 4, they were like

"no man gta is all grown up. we have real people with real problems etc"

so i bought it

still juvenile, but now also kind of miserable too

all growed up

oh I agree

in the past though they've had individual moments or characters I really liked. I always hated the dumb humor, though, and then 4 went grim but it wasn't really a well-done kind of grim but this kind of self-flagellating nihilism

I feel like they are circling maddeningly close around the tone they want and that I'm looking for, though

like, I am okay with the games letting me be antisocial and do bad things. but it helps to have a likable protagonist and really nasty villains and to keep the tone kind of effervescent, while at the same time not veering off into totally disconnected zaniness the way Saint's Row does. I feel like a tone roughly in keeping with Ocean's 11 or other good caper movies would be just about ideal - the fun of committing crimes, the tension and the feeling of transgression, but with less of the angst.

The impression I got from the 3 character trailers is that they are attempting to hit those different themes and character tones by having three different characters, each with different feels and motivations and history, rather then just one character who has to be one thing and encompass all that stuff in a hairpin.

Michael the bored white rich dude in a midlife crisis, Franklin the gangbanging black kid from the ghetto trying to get out and start a new life, and Trevor, the lovable psychopathic hick. You can play the one you want depending on how serious to crazy you want things to be, presumably.

yeah I take it as a good sign that they are finally changing up something as fundamental as the one-protagonist-per-game habit

I'm noticing a theme with these characters and I am not pleased : /
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Should you ever find yourself in a situation where you feel the need to prove that you are not a racist, be sure to say "I'm not a racist, I have a _________________". This sentence has a flawless track record.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    wow that "healthcare is a right" thread is uh

lol

The guy who made it is a few bills short of a healthcare reform.

My favourite bit was

"We can't afford healthcare reform! Look how high taxes are compared to ten years ago!"
    "Taxes are lower than they were ten years ago..."
    "If you believe the government."
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    wow that "healthcare is a right" thread is uh

lol

The guy who made it is a few bills short of a healthcare reform.

My favourite bit was

"We can't afford healthcare reform! Look how high taxes are compared to ten years ago!"
    "Taxes are lower than they were ten years ago..."
    "If you believe the government."

You just don't understand Freedom, Japan.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    aaaagh

who the fuck mentions cookies in a healthcare thread

*chews pillow*
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    aaaagh

who the fuck mentions cookies in a healthcare thread

*chews pillow*

/agree
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Yay! Today is nephew's birthday party! Totally worth the 5 hour round trip.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I am hearing all the right things about Grand Theft Auto V.

I mean, I was going to get it regardless, because the thing that all the GTAs have over every other open-world game is ambiance. Their worlds are places I enjoy for their own sake even when the gameplay and story and controls aren't there. But it sounds like some of those may have seen some improvement?

there is something about the tone of the gta games that i just find grating

like, before gta4, my problem was that the games had a really juvenile sense of humor and were kind of callow

so with 4, they were like

"no man gta is all grown up. we have real people with real problems etc"

so i bought it

still juvenile, but now also kind of miserable too

all growed up

oh I agree

in the past though they've had individual moments or characters I really liked. I always hated the dumb humor, though, and then 4 went grim but it wasn't really a well-done kind of grim but this kind of self-flagellating nihilism

I feel like they are circling maddeningly close around the tone they want and that I'm looking for, though

like, I am okay with the games letting me be antisocial and do bad things. but it helps to have a likable protagonist and really nasty villains and to keep the tone kind of effervescent, while at the same time not veering off into totally disconnected zaniness the way Saint's Row does. I feel like a tone roughly in keeping with Ocean's 11 or other good caper movies would be just about ideal - the fun of committing crimes, the tension and the feeling of transgression, but with less of the angst.

The impression I got from the 3 character trailers is that they are attempting to hit those different themes and character tones by having three different characters, each with different feels and motivations and history, rather then just one character who has to be one thing and encompass all that stuff in a hairpin.

Michael the bored white rich dude in a midlife crisis, Franklin the gangbanging black kid from the ghetto trying to get out and start a new life, and Trevor, the lovable psychopathic hick. You can play the one you want depending on how serious to crazy you want things to be, presumably.

yeah I take it as a good sign that they are finally changing up something as fundamental as the one-protagonist-per-game habit

I'm noticing a theme with these characters and I am not pleased : /

that they're all dudes?
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Too dunk to sleep
    Why body
    Lemme pass out pls
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    10 hours at work and nothing to do.

Glad I brought the SNES!

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK PEOPLE
    Should you ever find yourself in a situation where you feel the need to prove that you are not a racist, be sure to say "I'm not a racist, I have a _________________". This sentence has a flawless track record.

im not a racist i have a

letter from MLK saying im not a racist
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I like the hemp paper bit. And while that's the subject, I'd like to take a moment to talk to the marijuana legalization types. Look guys, I know it seemed like a good idea to run with the whole "Hey, look at all of the uses of hemp that don't involve smoking it!" for legalization. But that method didn't work for shit. The whole "Do we really benefit from locking up stoners?" thing has been way more successful. So can you stop spreading all of your god damn urban myths about how hemp did everything so that other people can stop having to correct it?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    we should legalize weed so i can smoke fatties in church and on public transit
    a katana made of hemp can cut through a tank
    a katana made of hemp can cut through a tank

I'm torn. I want to beat you to death with said katana but I need you to GM.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    this is from the game of thrones thread. not really spoilers but just in case
    Handsome Costanza wrote: »
    I wonder if there's pot in westeros. and no I'm not talking about that sourleaf thing, unless you can smoke it.

I could totally see littlefinger walking with his hands behind his back, up and down rows of plants stopping only to smell the buds and sell women into bondage. Littlefinger definitely smokes pot behind closed curtains and most likely has/would have secret gardens. He and Varys have had to have a smoke session at one time or another.

Who else smokes pot or would smoke pot if it existed in that universe? Let's see.. Bronn.. for sure... Jorah... Jorah kind of seems like an old hippy type.... Definitely Thoros... Maybe Jaqen H'gar as well.

edit: Sallahdor definitely. Mellisandre is all obsessed with fire.. I'm surprised shes not waving a joint around 24/7. Tyrion and Jaime have prob shared a doob together...
    fucking potheads

avface
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    fucking potheads

avface

God that avatar really is perfect for that.

It might have kicked desc out of first for favorite avface av.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Man Blasto is a TERRIBLE game
    I avface all the time but it means something different with me
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Man Blasto is a TERRIBLE game

Yeah but you can clip through like everything so it's hilarious
    JKKaAGp.png

I can never do mine.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    i wonder if they have mdma in westeros and the mad king was really just rolling his dick off 24-7
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    When avfacing was first a thing someone asked if I was avfacing when someone was being dumb. Like, Dash is shaking her head in my avatar. But people have also said it looks bored, wearied, disappointed, and I think it looks meditative.

It's interesting to me how everyone can see the same picture and come away with a different impression.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    When avfacing was first a thing someone asked if I was avfacing when someone was being dumb. Like, Dash is shaking her head in my avatar. But people have also said it looks bored, wearied, disappointed, and I think it looks meditative.

It's interesting to me how everyone can see the same picture and come away with a different impression.

honestly, it is so stylized I couldn't begin to speculate at what it's doing
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    drinkin' a big glass of sugar water

(ice lemon tea)
    Shivahn wrote: »

honestly, it is so stylized I couldn't begin to speculate at what it's doing

There is that too, it's hardly close to a human expression.

And funnily enough, it's from a screencap where she's just blinking. No emotion is actually portrayed there.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I shudder to imagine whose alt that Buddha guy might have been.
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I can never do mine.

you just need a good Jack Palance impersonator

I can never do mine.

Know how hard those are to find?

I can never do mine.

just cover martin sheen in sesame oil and lock him in a tanning bed for three weeks straight and he'd be good to go!

I can never do mine.

just cover martin sheen in sesame oil and lock him in a tanning bed for three weeks straight and he'd be good to go!

He's like a foot and a half too short.
    edited May 2013
    Seriously though, they have "milk of the poppy" in their universe. We all know what that is. Who's to say that they don't have the blessed herb as well?

edit: Probably all of Highgarden smokes cheeb. Highgarden is like the California of Westeros.

hahaha
    Casual Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.