Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The only issue Im worried about with GTA5 is its going to be kind of ugly because its so ambitious. Im hoping for PC or Next Gen port asap

It's not coming to PC? At least not initially?

Sad face.

not announced for PC.

for next gen there are 2 prevailing rumours

a) MS has locked up GTA5 in some fashion for the Durango which we will find out about soon

b) itll be on next gen when all the DLC is out as some kind of GOTY version
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    My dream game is an open world action game with red faction style destructible terrain wherein you create clones and customise them for each mission, and losing a clone is very expensive but not a fail state, and you can have multiple clones lying around but only have your character jacked into one at a time. So you can body-hop as it is tactically required but take the risk of leaving a body defenceless

I like this idea, but I think we are a ways off from anyone attempting it. You can sort of clone hop in EvE to get around, but that's hardly tactical usually and definitely not fast, just faster and less risky then flying your ship halfway across the galaxy.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The book I'm reading is making me feel like an excellent stealth game would be a co-op situation with one player (or more) doing a slow, methodical, technical Splinter Cell style infiltration of a facility, while another player is playing the technician who has a top down view and is hacking cameras, misdirecting guards with falsified comm chatter, opening doors, shutting down or altering security systems, monitoring patrols, dropping weapons or supplies in from a drone, locating objectives, etc.

That would be so badass.

and then a third player shoots everybody and shouts WE OUT

Usually that's me

In the Splinter Cell with a knife, I had a personal bonus objective, which was "fucking knife everyone"
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I always just assumed that corehealer's avatar was from Blazblue.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    The book I'm reading is making me feel like an excellent stealth game would be a co-op situation with one player (or more) doing a slow, methodical, technical Splinter Cell style infiltration of a facility, while another player is playing the technician who has a top down view and is hacking cameras, misdirecting guards with falsified comm chatter, opening doors, shutting down or altering security systems, monitoring patrols, dropping weapons or supplies in from a drone, locating objectives, etc.

That would be so badass.

and then a third player shoots everybody and shouts WE OUT

Usually that's me

In the Splinter Cell with a knife, I had a personal bonus objective, which was "fucking knife everyone"

A true Sam Fisher of men this one.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Useful for all sorts of People (especially Foreigners) to secure their Money and preserve their Lives; besides very Diverting and Entertaining, being wholly new.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    My dream game is an open world action game with red faction style destructible terrain wherein you create clones and customise them for each mission, and losing a clone is very expensive but not a fail state, and you can have multiple clones lying around but only have your character jacked into one at a time. So you can body-hop as it is tactically required but take the risk of leaving a body defenceless

My dream game would be GTA: Macross/Robotech.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Uh no. What would give you that impression?
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Do you guys know how happy I am that this was a weekend chat and has been up for days?

do you guys have any idea?
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.

I like this idea, but I think we are a ways off from anyone attempting it. You can sort of clone hop in EvE to get around, but that's hardly tactical usually and definitely not fast, just faster and less risky then flying your ship halfway across the galaxy.

I also want every building to be enterable and destructible in each area, so yeah.

I even had an idea about the protagonist being an operative left paraplegic after a mishap in a mission, which would be the first mission you play, and they get him to control these experimental clones and keep doing missions

Clones can be super strong or have heightened reflexes for bullet time or have high jumps or increased sprint speed, etc, though they would be limited to fairly restricted builds so you have to keep mission parameters in mind (with gear too)

It would encourage hilarious player self sacrifice to finish missions in critical situations, which would be fun

In the final mission the antagonists would invade the secret facility where you control the clones, and you'd have to play as the paraplegic operative creeping about in the darkness with a knife in his teeth, going hand over hand on the ceiling pipes, dropping on top of enemy agents and breaking their necks before crawling into a vent
    edited May 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    GIANT ROBOT

(2:50)

<3
    DasUberEdward on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Uh no. What would give you that impression?

Every Blazblue character has a emblem that looks similar to your Av

emblemnoel.jpg

emblemhakumen.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    lobster is kind of gross though, i meant taking it apart. my oldest brother did it all for us and then just say yeah i dunno if i want any that was sort of horrifying
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    god my monitor is doing the super-warm to super-cool color shift again

except it's getting faster, shifts over 10-15 seconds instead of twice that

Wednesday can't come soon enough
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
    wait

is saints row iv the perfect game?
    lobster is kind of gross though, i meant taking it apart. my oldest brother did it all for us and then just say yeah i dunno if i want any that was sort of horrifying

You seem kind of squeamish about animal disassembly in general

I mean, understandably
    I see.

Nah I got this avatar from some tattoo parlour website a long time ago. It's called a tribal dragon head tattoo.

I like it because it's similar to some of the draconic characters I've created in terms of flat pictographic expression, and it has nice Celtic looking weaves.
    Oh speaking of squeamish

Today my friend, who teaches elementary school, showed me a picture of a one-inch cut he had in his eyeball

During basketball one of his shitty little students, who never cuts his nails, accidentally jabbed his horrible finger into my friend's eye and lacerated it

It was a millimeter from causing debilitating damage that would have left him in constant agony
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I am hearing all the right things about Grand Theft Auto V.

I mean, I was going to get it regardless, because the thing that all the GTAs have over every other open-world game is ambiance. Their worlds are places I enjoy for their own sake even when the gameplay and story and controls aren't there. But it sounds like some of those may have seen some improvement?

there is something about the tone of the gta games that i just find grating

like, before gta4, my problem was that the games had a really juvenile sense of humor and were kind of callow

so with 4, they were like

"no man gta is all grown up. we have real people with real problems etc"

so i bought it

still juvenile, but now also kind of miserable too

all growed up

oh I agree

in the past though they've had individual moments or characters I really liked. I always hated the dumb humor, though, and then 4 went grim but it wasn't really a well-done kind of grim but this kind of self-flagellating nihilism

I feel like they are circling maddeningly close around the tone they want and that I'm looking for, though

like, I am okay with the games letting me be antisocial and do bad things. but it helps to have a likable protagonist and really nasty villains and to keep the tone kind of effervescent, while at the same time not veering off into totally disconnected zaniness the way Saint's Row does. I feel like a tone roughly in keeping with Ocean's 11 or other good caper movies would be just about ideal - the fun of committing crimes, the tension and the feeling of transgression, but with less of the angst.
    GIANT ROBOT

<3

Also super powers.

I almost want to say it'll be too easy to kill things.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Hey, Jacob, could I borrow you on Steam, or Google talk?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    this is the game i want to play:

gameplay is a cross of Myth and Empire: total war games. you play as one of many necromancers gaining power during a bloody succession war in, like, europe or some shit. your necromancer is your general at the center of your army and as the campaign progresses you get area of effect spells and can raise more powerful minions like deathknights and hire less skilled necromancers to act as captains

gradually as you grow more powerful and threaten to plunge the continent into an age of undeath the various nations ally against you and begin raising paladins, who are good at killing undead dudes. and of course you're fighting your rival necromancers

your necromancers provide 'leadership' to your zombies by being close to them and making them more powerful

You seem kind of squeamish about animal disassembly in general

I mean, understandably

the more my food resembles an animal the less i want to eat it

shellfish excepted because they dont really look like animals
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey, Jacob, could I borrow you on Steam, or Google talk?

sure thing, just a sec
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    this is the game i want to play:

gameplay is a cross of Myth and Empire: total war games. you play as one of many necromancers gaining power during a bloody succession war in, like, europe or some shit. your necromancer is your general at the center of your army and as the campaign progresses you get area of effect spells and can raise more powerful minions like deathknights and hire less skilled necromancers to act as captains

gradually as you grow more powerful and threaten to plunge the continent into an age of undeath the various nations ally against you and begin raising paladins, who are good at killing undead dudes. and of course you're fighting your rival necromancers

your necromancers provide 'leadership' to your zombies by being close to them and making them more powerful

Look I am not saying that I have an erection right now.... But I am not not saying I have an erection right now.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

I mean, I was going to get it regardless, because the thing that all the GTAs have over every other open-world game is ambiance. Their worlds are places I enjoy for their own sake even when the gameplay and story and controls aren't there. But it sounds like some of those may have seen some improvement?

like, before gta4, my problem was that the games had a really juvenile sense of humor and were kind of callow

so i bought it

all growed up

oh I agree

in the past though they've had individual moments or characters I really liked. I always hated the dumb humor, though, and then 4 went grim but it wasn't really a well-done kind of grim but this kind of self-flagellating nihilism

I feel like they are circling maddeningly close around the tone they want and that I'm looking for, though

like, I am okay with the games letting me be antisocial and do bad things. but it helps to have a likable protagonist and really nasty villains and to keep the tone kind of effervescent, while at the same time not veering off into totally disconnected zaniness the way Saint's Row does. I feel like a tone roughly in keeping with Ocean's 11 or other good caper movies would be just about ideal - the fun of committing crimes, the tension and the feeling of transgression, but with less of the angst.

The impression I got from the 3 character trailers is that they are attempting to hit those different themes and character tones by having three different characters, each with different feels and motivations and history, rather then just one character who has to be one thing and encompass all that stuff in a hairpin.

Michael the bored white rich dude in a midlife crisis, Franklin the gangbanging black kid from the ghetto trying to get out and start a new life, and Trevor, the lovable psychopathic hick. You can play the one you want depending on how serious to crazy you want things to be, presumably.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I just watched a 1 1/2 hour Starcraft game while drunk and eating Dirty Apple Snack (<-- I just gave it a name).

I need to sleep.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    I just watched a 1 1/2 hour Starcraft game while drunk and eating Dirty Apple Snack (<-- I just gave it a name).

I need to sleep.

You require more Pylons and sleep to function.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

I need to sleep.

And I'm going to the farmer's market at like 9am omg. Not enough sleep is possible. I should just stay awake.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    edited May 2013

I need to sleep.

And I'm going to the farmer's market at like 9am omg. Not enough sleep is possible. I should just stay awake.

*sips tea*

I think I might to bed in a min; I don't have anywhere to be thankfully. Just going to do a charcoal self portrait for a class tomorrow and dig through more boxes.
    Corehealer on
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

so i bought it

all growed up

oh I agree

They referred to it as "GTA HD." Like obviously in terms of the quality of the visual assets, but also in terms of being more realistic/believable. I liked the style, but I also didn't pay that much attention to the packaging -- it was more the classic GTA sandbox gameplay that I wanted out of GTA4.

GTA5 seems to be going back to the callous criminality, at least based on the trailers and character bios. I think that strikes a good balance between cipher Fido and GTA4's church scene.
    network_sig2.png
    GIANT ROBOT

<3

Also super powers.

Yeah I spoke too soon in that last post. Just mash all of the best parts of other games into one game.

I am so fine with that.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    wow that "healthcare is a right" thread is uh

lol
    GIANT ROBOT

<3

Also super powers.

Yeah I spoke too soon in that last post. Just mash all of the best parts of other games into one game.

I am so fine with that.

I don't like the SR games, simply because I am too serious for my own good and would get bored of super powers and giant robots after a while provided the aliens are as easy as SR3's gangs to kill. Maybe they won't be. Between that and the game looking like a large SR3 DLC pack rather then a whole new game (which is I imagine irrelevant to people who like SR3), I am uninterested.

I prefer my giant robots to be of the 40K Dreadnought variety.
    wow that "healthcare is a right" thread is uh

lol

The guy who made it is a few bills short of a healthcare reform.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    he doesn't know what hyperlinks are
    override367 on
    he doesn't know what hyperlinks are

Ahahahahahaha! Yeah.
    It's 2:30 am and I am beat. Good night chat.

so i bought it

all growed up

oh I agree

The impression I got from the 3 character trailers is that they are attempting to hit those different themes and character tones by having three different characters, each with different feels and motivations and history, rather then just one character who has to be one thing and encompass all that stuff in a hairpin.

Michael the bored white rich dude in a midlife crisis, Franklin the gangbanging black kid from the ghetto trying to get out and start a new life, and Trevor, the lovable psychopathic hick. You can play the one you want depending on how serious to crazy you want things to be, presumably.

yeah I take it as a good sign that they are finally changing up something as fundamental as the one-protagonist-per-game habit
This discussion has been closed.