Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

King of the [Chat]

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I have no idea how swords and armor work so he can say anything and I won't notice.
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I still cannot tell if Mim and Sarksus are really dating or if this is all some kind of elaborate in joke.

Either way, you take care of your woman Sarksus, or so help me I'ma gonna give you such a whoopin'!

Isn't life some kind of elaborate in-joke.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Hello chat. I had a very successful romp at the farmer's market this morning. I got a strawberry-sweet-cream-vanilla crepe, and later I had Cambodian bahn chev. It's really excited to buy something when you have NO IDEA what it will look like/what's in it when it's done. :D It was yummy.

I do that (buy mystery food/drink) sometimes and it's always awesome!

(Or horrific but worth it for the awesomes)
    We need settings with medieval reactive armor.

Two knights, circling each other, each terrified to hit the other guy.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also Martin badly needs a historical arms and armor nerd somewhere on his staff.

if he's going for accuracy, maybe. i have always found his dudes-swordfighting scenes interesting, even if gorgets don't work this way or armor doesn't crumple like that. i

I feel like he wants his world to be gritty and real but then he says stuff that knocks my sense of immersion right out the window for a bit.

i understand what you're saying but you're a niche, right? like, not a lot of people share your knowledge of these things so while that complaint might be relevant for you it is broadly not problematic for a book.

True, it would just be nice to go that extra mile sometimes. Like, here is the most recent example:

Minor book 4 game of thrones spoilers:
    There is a bit where Brienne is looking for a new shield. Now, she is a warrior that knows her stuff and Martin wants to portray her ad such. So, he writes some about how she wants to stick with her current heavy shield and not get a lighter one. She briefly compares the pros and cons of different shield types, and one point comparing the "pro" of getting axes and swords stuck in certain types of shields.

But that is not a pro at all. That is a huge, huge con. So like, suddenly I am thinking that Brienne is clueless but wait no Martin probably thinks that is legit so no, in world Brienne knows her stuff so... And suddenly I am right out of the story.

I mean, have your fantasy fun. Like, I don't mind that the arms and armor are a complete cluster fuck of chronology from a historic perspective. But I feel like when you want to write about the nitty gritty of combat that you should do a little homework.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bits of biscuit in chocolate is superior to chocolate biscuits. Discuss.

You failed to post photos of each party's position, therefore we are all unsure who to support

UKIP would outlaw immigration and have horse-back mounted hunts of people who look a bit foreign

Conservative believe in traditional values for a traditional UK, which looks beyond this simple biscuit paradigm and dreams of a world where the poor are forbidden to vote

Libdems are not allowed biscuits or chocolate until they go upstairs and tidy their room

Labour do not wish to specifically voice an opinion, but assure us all that everybody else is wrong.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I still cannot tell if Mim and Sarksus are really dating or if this is all some kind of elaborate in joke.

Either way, you take care of your woman Sarksus, or so help me I'ma gonna give you such a whoopin'!

Isn't life some kind of elaborate in-joke.

You are not incorrect.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    I'm not sure what I would do if I wrote fantasy. I would have no interest in researching a ton of shit. Like medieval battle tactics and formation. But I can't really skip over it either.
  • MimMim Registered User regular

The only Sarksus that needs to fear death by my hands (right now at least) is Sim!Sarksus.

Real!Sarksus is a peach. Well sort of.
    I'm not sure what I would do if I wrote fantasy. I would have no interest in researching a ton of shit. Like medieval battle tactics and formation. But I can't really skip over it either.

Make it high fantasy and then there's magic so you can kind of fudge everything more.

Pay me :)
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    The solution is to write about aliens whose technology, physiology and environment are so alien that they have no relation to us.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    And I say tweet motherfuggin tweet

http://youtu.be/KKRJpcBcKBw
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Mim wrote: »

The only Sarksus that needs to fear death by my hands (right now at least) is Sim!Sarksus.

Chatter romance! Scandalous.

Pay me :)

I guess I'd just take a double dose of Adderall and then plow through a book on that.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular

Nobody cares about that nonsense. Focus on the boobs.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    God. I made Sim versions of me and Sarksus and clearly made it so we're boyfriend and girlfriend in the game. At first they were all over each other and I'm like "This has never happened to me in a Sim game before"

BUT NOW ALL THESE OTHER BITCHES WANT HIS D. Like, this heifer from across the way is all "OooOooOOH, we have SO MUCH in common. I would LOVE to get to know you better" and I'm like "Step off, heifer"

but then the neighbors come to visit and they're all chicks and they're all hitting on him! And my sim is just standing there watching this go down like this:

FDSsQPV.jpg

murder them
    this game is prophetic.
    xlh6c3.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    i understand what you're saying but you're a niche, right?

30992663.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also Martin badly needs a historical arms and armor nerd somewhere on his staff.

if he's going for accuracy, maybe. i have always found his dudes-swordfighting scenes interesting, even if gorgets don't work this way or armor doesn't crumple like that. i

I feel like he wants his world to be gritty and real but then he says stuff that knocks my sense of immersion right out the window for a bit.

i understand what you're saying but you're a niche, right? like, not a lot of people share your knowledge of these things so while that complaint might be relevant for you it is broadly not problematic for a book.

True, it would just be nice to go that extra mile sometimes. Like, here is the most recent example:

There is a bit where Brienne is looking for a new shield. Now, she is a warrior that knows her stuff and Martin wants to portray her ad such. So, he writes some about how she wants to stick with her current heavy shield and not get a lighter one. She briefly compares the pros and cons of different shield types, and one point comparing the "pro" of getting axes and swords stuck in certain types of shields.

But that is not a pro at all. That is a huge, huge con. So like, suddenly I am thinking that Brienne is clueless but wait no Martin probably thinks that is legit so no, in world Brienne knows her stuff so... And suddenly I am right out of the story.

I mean, have your fantasy fun. Like, I don't mind that the arms and armor are a complete cluster fuck of chronology from a historic perspective. But I feel like when you want to write about the nitty gritty of combat that you should do a little homework.

but not doing thorough research or consulting doesn't really 'hurt' him, per se, because almost no one cares and it's still engaging for almost everyone
    Organichu on
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    @desc

I don't know why I like this so much but I do

the comments on there are so incredibly mixed it's insane

the comments on soundcloud are the lamest part

@y2jake215
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Yeah having weapons sticking out of your shield or armor is a big no no; that's basic armorcraft 101.

Sure it might look cool in your head, but in reality swords and axes sticking out of your shield and armor are heavy, awkward to move and undermine structural integrity.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).

"Aerith Stormrider loosed the bonds of her clothing, causing them to puddle on the floor. Her breasts were large, befitting a Stormrider, and memorized Richard. He stepped forward, as though volunteering for a sacred duty. He reached toward the left bosom, and squeezed. Like a bag of sand."

"Aerith Stormrider loosed the bonds of her clothing, causing them to puddle on the floor. Her breasts were large, befitting a Stormrider, and memorized Richard. He stepped forward, as though volunteering for a sacred duty. He reached toward the left bosom, and squeezed. Like a bag of sand."

what kind of wizard is she, exactly

but not doing thorough research or consulting doesn't really 'hurt' him, per se, because almost no one cares and it's still engaging for almost everyone

But mah immersions!

Also, I dunno, if you do a thing it is worth doing right, IMO.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    The solution is to write about aliens whose technology, physiology and environment are so alien that they have no relation to us.

That's my plan.
    edited May 2013

But mah immersions!

i mean right is a variable concept, if ya know what i'm saying. accurate ain't necessarily appropriate- what if cool or badass is more right than accurate
    Organichu on

I typed that by accident because my brain is broken, but I decided it fit with what I was parodying.
    Her breasts were large, befitting a Stormrider, and memorized Richard.

smart_breasts.jpg
    network_sig2.png
    Shivahn wrote: »
    We need settings with medieval reactive armor.

Two knights, circling each other, each terrified to hit the other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-JBl9TKqw

this is my plan for winning any fight
    xlh6c3.png

I typed that by accident because my brain is broken, but I decided it fit with what I was parodying.

She's a Memoragician.

Duh.

Do you not go to school, Chu?
    Actually, I should ask my psychiatrist about that if I ever friggin see one.

But mah immersions!

i mean right is a variable concept, if ya know what i'm saying. accurate ain't necessarily appropriate- what if cool or badass is more right than accurate

I think any description in that scenario that showed knowledge would be equally cool or badass. I just am made sad that no one during the entire creation process went "Wait. Is that how shields work?"
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

Jerusalem-Boys-pray-during-a-reading-class-at-the-Kehilot-Yaacov-Torah-school.jpg
    network_sig2.png
    Shivahn wrote: »

Chatter romance! Scandalous.

We need our own Sim romance to counterbalance the awww factor and so we can point and laugh as SimMim burns Sarksus' house down.
    L
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Bits of biscuit in chocolate is superior to chocolate biscuits. Discuss.

You failed to post photos of each party's position, therefore we are all unsure who to support

UKIP would outlaw immigration and have horse-back mounted hunts of people who look a bit foreign

Conservative believe in traditional values for a traditional UK, which looks beyond this simple biscuit paradigm and dreams of a world where the poor are forbidden to vote

Libdems are not allowed biscuits or chocolate until they go upstairs and tidy their room

Labour do not wish to specifically voice an opinion, but assure us all that everybody else is wrong.

I think all biscuits are as bad as each other. I am going to protest and eat cake, all the while repeating loudly and without facts my theory
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Jerusalem-Boys-pray-during-a-reading-class-at-the-Kehilot-Yaacov-Torah-school.jpg

Avert your eyes class lest the paper words steal your souls. Now hold your bit of string and bind the word spirits into it by screaming.
    Mojo_Jojo on
    the fight scenes in GoT being all clanging swords together is something that does bug me
    xlh6c3.png
    Look Chu this is like if I was writing a character in a modern day setting that was supposed to be an elite mitary bad ass but the character always called magazines "clips" and they had no trigger discipline.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    although I do like that at one point one dude in plate gets a sword swung at him and is all haha nope and just holds the other guy's sword there
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.