Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Hm. Sell my TF2 hat for $170 or hold onto it and try and sell it later for what it's actually worth, between $230 and $260. Decisions, decisions.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Hm. Sell my TF2 hat for $170 or hold onto it and try and sell it later for what it's actually worth, between $230 and $260. Decisions, decisions.

The heck kind of hat is worth $230?

Does it come with a free coffee machine?
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Oh my. What hat rakes in that much cash?

PS - Hold on to it. Think of all the Steam giftage you could dish out with that extra $60-90ish.
    Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »

Unusuals.

TF2 hat markets are crazy.
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Evil Snake Cult Leader Registered User regular
    I trotted into this thread thinking "It's going to be safe in here, there's no possible way they could make me spend any money given the current landscape of games and how many I already own." and then System Shock 2.
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    I bought SS2 off gog a long while ago and even scrounged up a quilt pattern for it.

It sure I want to buy it since I already have a Steam shortcut and everything...
    newSig.jpg
    subedii wrote: »

Burning Flames Demoman's Fro

http://backpack.tf/unusuals/47/Demoman's_Fro
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'd sell it. Unusuals can be pretty hard to find a buyer for at times. It's like baseball cards. You might have a rookie card with a misprint that's worth 500 bucks but the actual market for selling it for that might be kind of low.

Though I'd put it up on TF2 outpost and see if you get any better offers in the meantime.
    Corpekata on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    "Corpekata wrote:
    Gamersgate is having a Bethesda sale. Rather than individual links, here's their publisher page:

Bethesda Sale

Notables:

Dishonored - 15 bucks
    Skyrim -15
    Fallout New Vegas Ultimate - 10
    Rage The Scorchers DLC - 2.50 (mentioned mainly because it hasn't seen much sales).

Used elder-geek.com to save 5 more percent

This those are the best prices yet on Skyrim and Dishonored outside of strange deals at finnish websites. I think New Vegas Ultimate's been around that price before but not too often. Games are all Steamworks. Not sure how long the sale is, they don't have it actually announced, they're just discounted. Guessing a Weekend Sale.

They're slightly cheaper on the UK site after the exchange rate, Skyrim and Dis become roughly 12 bucks, for instance. And Gamersgate has never really cared in the past what version of the site people use, your account even works on them all. Fallout is more expensive though, so use US site for that

British Bethesda Sale

Pasting this from the old thread as I know some people were annoyed that Gamersgate ran out of keys for like everything. They've reportedly restocked, so if you were after one or waiting on one, you should be good to go.
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    How the hell do you get a TF2 hat worth that much? Just playing a lot of TF2?
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Hello, Steam Thread. My name is big Isy and I'm a steamaholic. It's been 6 days since my last gift purchase and I'm starting to get the shakes. It doesn't help that @koopahtroopah, @dakath and @Khildith gifted me freaking amazing things. I will hold steady though. And bide my time.

You three should know I've made a separate list and eventually, I will gift again. And hard. <3
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24

Unusual hats are in roughly 1% of crates. So it's just gambling basically.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I'd sell it. Unusuals can be pretty hard to find a buyer for at times. It's like baseball cards. You might have a rookie card with a misprint that's worth 500 bucks but the actual market for selling it for that might be kind of low.

Though I'd put it up on TF2 outpost and see if you get any better offers in the meantime.

Decided not to. Doing a paypal trade for a Steam item was just riskier than I wanted to go with that much money on the line.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Decided not to. Doing a paypal trade for a Steam item was just riskier than I wanted to go with that much money on the line.

Could always trade for its value in keys and then turn around and marketplace those, or something. Steambux is better than nothing.
    camo_sig2.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.pngBasilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne

I don't even know what crates are. One day I'm going to be able to run TF2 on my computer and I will understand everything.
    Maddoc wrote: »

Could always trade for its value in keys and then turn around and marketplace those, or something. Steambux is better than nothing.

I'm arranging a trade for $160 worth of marketable stuff and a $70 hat that should be easier to sell because it's not worth as much.

I don't even know what crates are. One day I'm going to be able to run TF2 on my computer and I will understand everything.

Basically you play X amount of time and will get a random item (the pool of which changes to include some cosmetics if you've spent any money on the game) or a crate. Crates contain a random item and can be unlocked with keys that cost about one pound ish.

You should try TF2, legitimately great game.
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular

I'm not really into TF2 trading, but there are reputable traders out there, some of which help others sell their valuable items.
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png

You pay $2.50 to open a crate with like a 1% chance of a super valuable item. There's a 100% chance of you getting something, though.
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Hello, Steam Thread. My name is big Isy and I'm a steamaholic. It's been 6 days since my last gift purchase and I'm starting to get the shakes. It doesn't help that @koopahtroopah, @dakath and @Khildith gifted me freaking amazing things. I will hold steady though. And bide my time.

You three should know I've made a separate list and eventually, I will gift again. And hard. <3

Don't gift me! I was just getting payback for one of the last 10 surprise gifts you sent me!

steam_sig.png
    Yeah...no thanks. My family has a history of gambling addiction.
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    "Corpekata wrote:
    Gamersgate is having a Bethesda sale. Rather than individual links, here's their publisher page:

Bethesda Sale

Notables:

Dishonored - 15 bucks
    Skyrim -15
    Fallout New Vegas Ultimate - 10
    Rage The Scorchers DLC - 2.50 (mentioned mainly because it hasn't seen much sales).

Used elder-geek.com to save 5 more percent

This those are the best prices yet on Skyrim and Dishonored outside of strange deals at finnish websites. I think New Vegas Ultimate's been around that price before but not too often. Games are all Steamworks. Not sure how long the sale is, they don't have it actually announced, they're just discounted. Guessing a Weekend Sale.

They're slightly cheaper on the UK site after the exchange rate, Skyrim and Dis become roughly 12 bucks, for instance. And Gamersgate has never really cared in the past what version of the site people use, your account even works on them all. Fallout is more expensive though, so use US site for that

British Bethesda Sale

Pasting this from the old thread as I know some people were annoyed that Gamersgate ran out of keys for like everything. They've reportedly restocked, so if you were after one or waiting on one, you should be good to go.

Yep. I just got my key for Dishonored that I bought a couple nights ago on the UK site. Score! :D
    steam_sig.png
  • Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks (I think) to @Luchaire who gifted me one of my missing Oddworld games, Munch, in an attempt to make sure I show no progress on my backlog.
    steam_sig.png
  • FreiFrei Registered User regular
    so, Metro: Last Light comes out in a couple days and I pretty much have seen nothing about it. Gameplay videos seem pretty scant, and there's really no indication on if they've done some better optimization on the engine. I loved the original. Anyone else more up to date on things than me?
    I wouldn't go out alone into America.
    edited May 2013
    You know who I haven't seen in this thread in a while? @Minor Incident. I think he used to hang around here.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

edit: Apparently he's on the forums but has been off Steam for over a month. Is this like a Newell/Going Clear type situation? Has he fled?
    cooljammer00 on
  • TPSouTPSou Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so, Metro: Last Light comes out in a couple days and I pretty much have seen nothing about it. Gameplay videos seem pretty scant, and there's really no indication on if they've done some better optimization on the engine. I loved the original. Anyone else more up to date on things than me?

They've been really really quiet on the PR front and I can't take that as a good sign. Especially considering there's been loads of adverts for pre-orders, but now it's all gone quiet just before release, I'll definitely pick it up I think but I'm not too excited about it anymore.
    TPReviewLogosmall.jpg
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    Thanks (I think) to @Luchaire who gifted me one of my missing Oddworld games, Munch, in an attempt to make sure I show no progress on my backlog.

People who make backlog progress make me nervous. I had to do something about it. :P
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You know who I haven't seen in this thread in a while? @Minor Incident. I think he used to hang around here.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

edit: Apparently he's on the forums but has been off Steam for over a month. Is this like a Newell/Going Clear type situation? Has he fled?

Think he's busy with work. That and awaiting a sale to go nuts on. Also pretty smart staying clear of all is enablers!
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    Word of caution about the Pinball FX2 Star Wars tables:

It seems the Star Wars tables have a problem registering with the game when you purchase em.
    Happened to me, and there is a (shortish) thread on the Steam forum. I'm sure it will get fixed, but for now be aware you might not get it yet.
    steam_sig.png
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Oooh, new Steam Thread.

Also, has anyone else had trouble connecting to Steam today? I can connect to everything else, but it refuses. This makes me a sad panda.

(I guess I'll just research System Shock while I wait, seeing as I have no idea what you guys are on about).
    steam_sig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    mmm that new steam thread smell
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

They've been really really quiet on the PR front and I can't take that as a good sign. Especially considering there's been loads of adverts for pre-orders, but now it's all gone quiet just before release, I'll definitely pick it up I think but I'm not too excited about it anymore.

I really really hate that they are asking for pre-orders to get ranger mode. That just stinks. I loooooved Metro 2033, but will probably wait for a huge price drop because I am cheap/poor/don't want to support that kind of incentive.
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • minirhyderminirhyder NYCRegistered User regular
    Repost!
    minirhyder wrote: »
    classycopy1copy.png

After 9 months of unemployment, I've secured a job offer. I start next Monday.
    This will be my first full-time, adult job.

So it's giveaway time.

Tell me (PM) stories of your first days at work. Did you do something dumb? Embarrassing? Awesome?

I'm giving away a copy of NFS: Hot Pursuit and Serious Sam 3: BFE. Let me know which one you want.

I'll close up shop this weekend.
    Get yer entries in! I've only got a couple.
    steam_sig.png
    BF3 Battlelog | Twitter | World of Tanks Profile
    Selling a brand new NZXT Hale82 650W Modular PSU - PM me for details
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Hnnnnng. I want to enter contest, but I already have an outstanding giftdebt to this thread (I have a target list of 4 people (I think/hope) who I need to gift hard once I'm back in the monies). Boy I cannot wait til I get back to my paid job rather than my current volunteer job.
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.