Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [STEAM] thread

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So I have the Marvel Heroes beta in my account now for apparently two more days? If anyone else is interested check your library as it might be there too.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Still looking for some more entries! Got some good stories/pictures so far.
    Contest Time!
    baileysleep2.jpgbaileysleep1.jpg

In celebration of the adoption of a new dog(Bailey), I'm giving away a copy of Sleeping Dogs(Steam Key from Amazon).

To enter send me an interesting dog picture, story or video via PM. The entry I like the best will be the winner. The contest will end in a couple of days after I've gotten enough entries.

More non sleeping dog pictures of Bailey:
    bailey.jpg
    bailey2.jpg
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    That is such an awesome looking dog. Goddamn my tiny apartment.
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Hnnnnng. I want to enter contest, but I already have an outstanding giftdebt to this thread (I have a target list of 4 people (I think/hope) who I need to gift hard once I'm back in the monies). Boy I cannot wait til I get back to my paid job rather than my current volunteer job.

I won't speak for others, but I know that when I have a contest I don't give a damn who enters it. I don't care if people won stuff, or haven't won stuff, all I want are people entering. I want to have people excited for stuff that i'm giving away. I don't do a contest because I want specific people to win it, if that was the idea I'd just gift it directly to someone. if I do a contest in the thread I want as many people to enter it as possible. I want to laugh my ass off at stupid photoshop pictures, stories, or whatever else the contest involves. I'm giving stuff away because I want to, and I want as many people entering as possible. As long as they're community members I don't care if they've never been able to afford giving stuff away, as long as they're cool and active in the thread.

Good speech. Would read again. And thanks.

The sheer class of this community is beyond any comprehensible scale.
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    Enter as many giveaways as you want, cause you're not going to win them all. Every once in a while, if you can swing it, toss a game at someone. The circle is unbroken, or whatever.
  • PeewiPeewi Enchanted, I'm sure Registered User regular
    Any particular set of tables for Pinball FX2 that's recommended?
    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521 Diablo 3: Peewi#1575
    steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    So, those of you that have snagged System Shock 2, does the steam version make multiplayering easier, or do you still have to ponce around with IP addresses to connect?
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Yeah, I enter any giveaway so long as I can honestly say: I will give this game a chance the second I win it.

Personally when I run give aways or give away games it's almost always a matter of going 'this game should have more buzz' and therefore using the contest as a kind of add.

For example my current gifts were:

Blocks matter: honestly the only exception, I hadn't played it, I just felt like giving something out and it was fifty pence.

5 copies of Awesomenauts: I adore awesomenauts, I wanted people to play Awesomenauts, so I gave out Awesomenauts.

Monaco (four pack, though only one went to a community member): gift bombed on Cooljammer because I needed someone to play with and hey why not.

NFS: Most wanted: Luchaire needed gift bombing and it's multi-player fit pretty well into her description.

Speaking of, I'm curious as to their opinion on Archeblade.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    I plan on giving out blood money every year and tend to stock up keys for Christmas.
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • LuchaireLuchaire Registered User regular
    NFS: Most wanted: Luchaire needed gift bombing and it's multi-player fit pretty well into her description.

Wait, what?

I do not deserve the amount of gift bombing that I have been subjected to! And I can't even begin to balance out the Great Karmic Scale of Giftingness. But I will try. Oh yes, I will try. Payday's coming...
    Speaking of, I'm curious as to their opinion on Archeblade.

I haven't done much yet. I spent like half an hour yesterday fiddling with all the different characters in practice mode, checking out their moves, trying to get a feel for the controls, but haven't joined a game yet.

steam_sig.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I want to gift Isy something awesome and force him to live with the fact that he can't revenge gift me right away.

EDIT: Also, I have never played any of the System Shock games.
    PierceNeck on
    Origin ID: PierceNeck
    DS Friend Code: 2981-5734-4728
    D3 Battletag: pierceneck#1369
    steam_sig.png
    Hip Hop: My friends free mixtape, check it out. Now with 83% more Snoop.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    I've been gift bombing my girlfriend

Oh you never played x well here you go
    edited May 2013
    I want to set up a devious plan where a mysterious benefactor purchases like 30 games, trades them to people, then all at once everyone hits Isy with the games. Its like a dirty bomb of class. He can't gift us all back..

Start the pool! I'll throw a few bucks in for that cause. ;)

Luchaire on
    steam_sig.png
    I'd be down for that
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My wife and I plan on being DINK's, and I told her that our extra money will be used for charity and stuff but I lied. I'm gonna finally gift back everyone who gifted me and then way more.

Sorry wife. PA comes first.
    Only a part lie, of course
    Icemopper on
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
    ice how is your wife doing

last I talked to you you both were doing through some things

I'm guessing if you can tell her to wait things are good
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Awww new steam thread...
    crazy-disney-dori-finding-nemo-fish-Favim.com-240231.gif
    Khildith wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Hello, Steam Thread. My name is big Isy and I'm a steamaholic. It's been 6 days since my last gift purchase and I'm starting to get the shakes. It doesn't help that @koopahtroopah, @dakath and @Khildith gifted me freaking amazing things. I will hold steady though. And bide my time.

You three should know I've made a separate list and eventually, I will gift again. And hard. <3

Don't gift me! I was just getting payback for one of the last 10 surprise gifts you sent me!

You Fool! You should have known the consequences!
    KoopahTroopah on
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I want to set up a devious plan where a mysterious benefactor purchases like 30 games, trades them to people, then all at once everyone hits Isy with the games. Its like a dirty bomb of class. He can't gift us all back..

Edit - Then everyone blames it on @Isorn so he gets giftbombed again.

Oh god no. Last time was bad enough.
    steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Dahkath wrote: »
    So the unwritten rules of the Steam Thread seem to be:

1. Don't mention finishing a backlog item. Someone will replace it right quick
    2. Don't mention interest in a game you currently don't own. Someone will gift it immediately
    3. Don't gift games to people, as that puts you on a Richard Nixon Enemies type list for payback (Steamenies?)
    4. Don't ask for suggestions to games that are similar to ones you own. Someone will gift them immediately.
    5. Don't recommend games to someone else. If they like it, they'll gift you a thank you.

The class in this place is a bit overpowering. It's like a reverse internet, where instead of taking everything with no recompense, we give away everything with no recompense. I'm happy I found you guys!

All of these and an unhealthy amount of lurking. The only time I might surface here is when a game I love is on sale with a chance of a steam gifts giveaway in tow. Then return to the depths, silently eluding the classholes.
    Steam: Karoz | Uplay: Renegade_Karoz | SMITE: Karoz
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    The world needs more British octopi.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Any particular set of tables for Pinball FX2 that's recommended?

Repost from last thread:
    All the packs except for the Star Wars Pack come with 4 tables (Star Wars comes with 3).

My top two recommends are the Marvel Pinball Original Pack and the FX2 Core Pack. Nice variety of tables and I very much enjoy each one.

After that it's a toss up between Zen Classics, Avengers Chronicles and Vengeance and Virtue. Those packs all have good tables, but the ratio in each pack is about one phenomenal table, one good table, one mediocre table, and 1 crappy table.

I haven't played the Star Wars Pack yet, so I can't comment.

Later down the road when singles are released pick up Captain America, Excalibur, Earth Defense Force,
    Mars and Epic Quest. Try out Paranormal and Sorcerer's Lair to see if it's your thing.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
    I was about to suggest that the world needs more HiT BiT but then I realized... That would just cause the world to pass some critical mass of awesomeness and implode on itself.
    steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Top hats are like the bacon of hats. You can add them to anyone and it will be an improvement.
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This caused me to start googling top hatted animals. I giggled.
    9bf689dd9fba769ddd88d65d878fd3f0-fancy-crab-has-top-hat-and-walking-stick.jpg
    l-top-hat-and-tails.jpg
    tumblr_mb7t52OMlS1r3n418o1_500.jpg

That middle one sure seems awfully awesome..
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Looking to trade some old TF2 junk for games, mostly KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

Got a level 88 Vintage Mining Hat. A Teddy Roosebelt. Gentle Mann's Service Medal. Prairie Heel Biters, etc. Nothing too fancy.
    betrayallll.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    l-top-hat-and-tails.jpg

I would set the middle one as mine, but I haven't earned a top hat. :P
    Darkewolfe on
    l-top-hat-and-tails.jpg

I see what you did there. :P
    steam_sig.png
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular
    My backlog has grown so large that I can no longer even think about getting new games.

To combat this I've decided to try and finish games based on average playtime length. Going from shortest to longest, and excluding roguelikes, 4x and MMO's.

I know that there is a site out there that shows average playtime, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!
    Krummith wrote: »
    My backlog has grown so large that I can no longer even think about getting new games.

To combat this I've decided to try and finish games based on average playtime length. Going from shortest to longest, and excluding roguelikes, 4x and MMO's.

I know that there is a site out there that shows average playtime, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This one?
    steam_sig.png
  • KrummithKrummith Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Krummith wrote: »

This one?

I believe that's it. Thanks! Now I've got a line up of quick games to go through.
    steam_sig.png
    I'm always looking for new steam friends!
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Edit - Then everyone blames it on @Isorn so he gets giftbombed again.

Damn you, Mexican! Don't give people ideas! I'm just gonna stop coming in this thread, it's safer for my sanity... and wallet.

Edit: OH COME ON! ATLEAST WAIT A DAY OR SOMETHING! @LindsayLohan just sent me System Shock 2. It never ends <3

really, please STAAAAHP. I'll nominate a recipient if it helps; isorn. There. He's Dutch therefore needs gifts because all that flat land does something something just gift that guy and leave me alone!
    Big Classy on
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    My birthday is three weeks out.

There will be several giveaways.

Preparations began today.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    ice how is your wife doing

last I talked to you you both were doing through some things

I'm guessing if you can tell her to wait things are good

Hey man, thanks for the concern. First, no pity party or concern, please! I just love you all and know there has been concern in the past.

Wife is aces. Just finished her first year of grad school for speech language pathology. Totally 100% fine, just with MS for life, but no lasting symptoms for now!

Otherwise I've just been away for other reasons. My mother has been battling cancer, so it sorta feels like we went from one disaster to the next.

That's all I'll say though because this is about games, and I don't want anyone worried! I'm great, wife is great, life is life! If anyone wants to talk or share experiences, lets go to PM so I don't bog everyone down with moodiness.

<3 you all.
    Bassig.pngSteamID:Icemopper PSN:Icemopper
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so, Metro: Last Light comes out in a couple days and I pretty much have seen nothing about it. Gameplay videos seem pretty scant, and there's really no indication on if they've done some better optimization on the engine. I loved the original. Anyone else more up to date on things than me?

I bought it just based on my undying love of the first one.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Cleaning at Your Mom's HouseRegistered User regular
    You know, maybe it's just me, but they should really allow games to download as you are playing other games.
This discussion has been closed.