Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Also besides increased immersion it's just plain nice to have head tracking. People love using it in Arma, racing games, flight sims, etc. Being able to look at stuff without changing what direction you're headed in is very convenient.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

man I was like 2000 km away in Australia then super close in Sweden

after my first guess of Africa when it was like.. Vancouver whoops

is it the same locations or randomized?

I dunno. I'm not done yet. what was your point score!
    NO.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just missed one by 193km

I'm done, not getting closer than that :P
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Hello, [chat]
    2eg8oiu.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The Oculus Rift completely supplants your sense of sight in a believable manner. It is Snow Crash shit. Real virtual reality.

i don't see how that will actually change anything about games.

21st you are killing me

I can't believe me yelling VIRTUAL REALITY isn't enough. It's virtual reality! Doesn't every nerd grow up having wet dreams about interacting with immersive game worlds that blur the lines between game and real life.

Do you like Skyrim? I love Skyrim. I loved exploring Skyrim. It was an incredibly immersive game. If I could experience Skyrim as though I were actually there that would be great for me. I wouldn't feel cold, or smell the food or people, but as far as my sense of sight was concerned I wouldn't be looking at a screen, I'd be looking at an actual world.

Yeah, virtual reality is a fun little dream, but it's not gonna be real until you have full-body force feedback.

this is demonstrably wrong

people who have used the oculus rift with a controller whose location and orientation are detected, with the added code to make your head position identical in the game, say that it feels really really convincing

it's a completely different experience, especially if you're using the omnidirectional treadmill that lets you actually just walk or run wherever you want to go

it feels like you are actually in this virtual place, especially when using something like a kinect to detect your body and insert an image of you and detect your position

people doing stuff like throwing balls into the air and leaning back to catch them then going "wow that was just like doing it in real life and i didn't even think about it."
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    NO.
    ALL HAIL OCULUS RIFT
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I just got ~10k on my second one. Though the last one was easy one of the buildings SAID Brasil
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    8921 8-)
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I got one where I looked around and saw a sign that said "Municipal Pier, Lake Worth, Florida"

Free points!
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    This guy's shirt says "I <3 Istanbul"

that narrows it down
    G2Dcf.jpg
    I want to use oculus rift with this game
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    yesssssss

Last round points: 3471Total points: 10501Round: 5/5

got really lucky with a billboard in one that pinpointed it to southern utah and my click managed to be only 17km off :P

The last ... 60 hours have been exhausting.

When's my next day off again? :o
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    @desc

There's a write-up of Ryuutama in-progress for the Obscure/Mockable RPG thread over at Something Awful

The guy admits it isn't a great translation (and people seem completely ignorant to the fact that the officially licensed translation is going to be kickstarted in a few months), but it's a pretty interesting loose guide so far

I like the equipment system a whole lot

@simonwolf do you need an account to view threads?

I don't think so, but I also have an account and haven't checked. I thought they only put up a paywall for the most popular sections, like Let's Play.
    turtlesig.jpg
    Well John Hamm better be ready for Google Glass
    NO.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    My god

I'm sitting here, waiting for Sarksus to tell me to hit play so we can watch an Adventure Time episode together. He starts randomly laughing every couple of minutes and I'm like "What are you laughing at?" and then I realized he hit play without telling me to hit play so we'd sync up.

I'm just saying, if they ask any of you why I would kill him, this JUST MIGHT be my reasoning.
    omg. google glass on all the paparazzi.

all of them.
    NO.
    haha, jake, I'm so naive. those glasses are all sold out already.
    NO.
    Mim wrote: »
    My god

I'm sitting here, waiting for Sarksus to tell me to hit play so we can watch an Adventure Time episode together. He starts randomly laughing every couple of minutes and I'm like "What are you laughing at?" and then I realized he hit play without telling me to hit play so we'd sync up.

I'm just saying, if they ask any of you why I would kill him, this JUST MIGHT be my reasoning.

BAHAHAHAHA
    My god

sarksus do you want me to facetime with you while we're in the museum

show you some wicked ahrt
    there is going to be a huge wave of car accidents where people are watching youtube on google glass while driving
    G2Dcf.jpg
    Organichu wrote: »
    My god

that might be cool actually

kind of weird

but also cool
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    omg. google glass on all the paparazzi.

all of them.

By that point we all have them.

No one is safe!

So no one will care after a few years.

the silver and gold joplins appear to not be

but I can understand if you're reticent since they are boring-er than the gimlets
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    I keep getting Canadian locations that look like the US.

Like endless fields of corn and wheat should not be north of the border.
    y2jake215 wrote: »

the silver and gold joplins appear to not be

but I can understand if you're reticent since they are boring-er than the gimlets

that's a little toooo retro. I could get away with the others. maybe.
    NO.
    My god

kind of weird

but also cool

i was just mocking your long distance relationship (i too have done the synchronized movie thing)

i don't have mobile data

MY MUSEUM PLAN IS RUINED
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm watching too much Hannibal in one sitting. But I'm liking it.

also I get ideas for a setting that I think I'm developing just for funsies (not that I do anything about any other ideas)

I've just decided to just not sleep tonight

and instead watch hannibals

and come up with ideas for something to create that I probably never will

because it's more fun than all the important stuff I should do tomorrow.
    xlh6c3.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The Oculus Rift completely supplants your sense of sight in a believable manner. It is Snow Crash shit. Real virtual reality.

i don't see how that will actually change anything about games.

Hopefully I get to pilot my Reaver without pretending my neck is in a brace...
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    SiG find another way to get those glasses. You earned them. By having impeccable taste.
    2eg8oiu.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    I thought I had figured out if desert locations were in Australia.

But then it started giving me South Africa.

Tricky game.
    So on Saturday night I went to the party where I was meeting up with a girl

But she and I figured out pretty immediately that people are bad at playing matchmaker

Instead I spent most of the night sitting around the fire with a different girl

Who I later found out is very much spoken for!

Still a very pleasant way to spend an evening :)
    My god

kind of weird

but also cool

i was just mocking your long distance relationship (i too have done the synchronized movie thing)

i don't have mobile data

MY MUSEUM PLAN IS RUINED

GOD DAMNIT
This discussion has been closed.