Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I should have chosen a topic with more standard analysis but more complicated theory.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Ok, wait, what?

original.jpg

DC vs Masters of the Universe? o.O
    工事中
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    btw being unironically patriotic is actually p good

jhRuOA4.jpg

nationalism and patriotism aren't the same thing

You're right. One is more connected to cultural context and not national. It's still horrible though and blinds you to the darker aspects of your own culture.

Only if you blithely overdo it to the point of ignorance

but really what isn't that true of

By it's very nature it makes you blithe.

While it's unifying component can be useful, the very fact that you are taking pride in the superiority of your culture over others makes you unwilling to make necessary changes as they occur.

That is not de facto what patriotism is, duder

like clearly you're bringing your own interpretations and views to this issue as everyone else is but don't act as if they're objective truths
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    21,880 points

yissss
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    And I liked the episode a lot better than previous ones because it wasn't nearly as formulaic. I mean really, if you know Gordon Ramsey is coming to inspect your restaurant would you really have your freezer looking like shit?
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Does batman have time to prepare
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure pony isn't advocating blind zealotry to one's country. Like, maybe there is something worthwhile about striving to be proud of the place you came from.

Yes I have strength that comes from my heritage

A strong sense of white pride

Wait

Being proud of your Caucasian heritage while accepting its flaws and privileged staus in much of the world is okay.

Just don't start asking for white heritage month
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Patriotism is fine if it is of your own country. But once someone else starts acting that way about their own country seems annoying and self righteous.

Because patriotism at its heart is belief in a countries exceptionalism. And by espousing it you are stating your own countries exceptionalism over others.

This is why it gets annoying to everyone else in the room.

And all countries have their own belief in being exceptional. Some tend to be more vocal about it but it also is not unique.

Of course it is only very recently that has been treated as bad form to state such beliefs in public.

I don't think the idea that America is A Pretty Cool Country (that is not without its problems) necessarily means believing that it is The Best of All Possible Countries.
    network_sig2.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I don't know why I'd be proud of my country.

I voted a few times. Otherwise I haven't really done anything to contribute. I can't take much credit. And while my country has some good things going for it, it's also kind of shitty at other things.
    The uk kitchen nightmares seemed like far less of a soulless farce than the us version

Oh yes but seriously, the most recent episode is great just because Ramsey FINALLY says "Fuck it, I can't help these two mental patients" and leaves.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Patriotism is fine if it is of your own country. But once someone else starts acting that way about their own country seems annoying and self righteous.

Because patriotism at its heart is belief in a countries exceptionalism. And by espousing it you are stating your own countries exceptionalism over others.

And all countries have their own belief in being exceptional. Some tend to be more vocal about it but it also is not unique.

Of course it is only very recently that has been treated as bad form to state such beliefs in public.

I don't really agree with this. I think it's completely possible to proud of one's country without engaging in exceptionalism or lessening anyone else

It's the same as any other kind of pride or confidence; overdone it's obnoxious, done at the expense of others it's irritating, done on its own merits and in its own reasonable way it rankles only the insecure

I disagree. The belief of a country being right is in itself exceptionalism even if it is true or not. Confidence in ones leaders in the way that is defined by patriotism is in itself believe they are exceptional and are correct in their choices of leadership.

This again is not unique. But by its very nature patriotism is that overconfidence and high levels of pride of ones nation/country/state.

One can be proud but not patriotic.
    falasig.png
    Why isn't there WHITE entertainment television!!!
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Ok, wait, what?

original.jpg

broken lady spines r us
    NO.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure pony isn't advocating blind zealotry to one's country. Like, maybe there is something worthwhile about striving to be proud of the place you came from.

Wait

Being proud of your Caucasian heritage while accepting its flaws and privileged staus in much of the world is okay.

I was in a class once where someone said "how come there's black entertainment television and no white entertainment television" and my sociology teacher said "I don't know, maybe every other english speaking channel on television?"

and he was like "derp im an idiot", was da bes
    Does batman have time to prepare

Batman already has 74 different ways of taking out Man-at-Arms.
    I refuse to live in a world of shortened poppies. It is entirely possible to be proud of yourself, proud of your family, your city, your country, without denigrating others. I don't care one whit for this bitter, misanthropic notion that the best a person can hope to be confident in is their own self, and refuse to see yourself in a broader picture as part of any other kind of holarchical structure.

That's not how I roll. If other people want to roll like that, that's their business, but that's not what I'm about and I don't care for how vogue it seems to be among some to cop that attitude.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    it seems like when the conversation turns to reclaiming a word (or whether it's being misappropriated) it's no longer about whether one supports x or opposes x. it's just a linguistic conversation. of course, that conversation will invoke relevant discussion but ultimately it's a diversion insofar as 'i believe this thing and you don't' is a different argument from 'what should this thing be called or not called'.

Wait

I was in a class once where someone said "how come there's black entertainment television and no white entertainment television" and my sociology teacher said "I don't know, maybe every other english speaking channel on television?"

Seriously.
    The cognitive dissonance on this fact is cray cray
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.

there is

it's called Spike TV
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Ok, wait, what?

original.jpg

broken lady spines r us

I can't really find a single not-awkward-or-impossible pose in that whole thing.
    network_sig2.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

They renamed it SyFy a few years ago.
    Shivahn wrote: »

They renamed it SyFy a few years ago.

this joke was better than my joke

i recognize
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forum break

Back in a week!

G'night and good weeks to all, [chat] :)
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I don't think the idea that America is A Pretty Cool Country (that is not without its problems) necessarily means believing that it is The Best of All Possible Countries.

This comes down to do you believe that being patriotic is following the country or being patriotic is to question the country and its actions in belief that it can be improved.

I think part of it is that patriotism is something that has a large range. It can be something small as in, "I like my country but its got issues" to the "We are the middle kingdom and we are retaking our place in the world as such."
    falasig.png

Wait

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-5-most-insulting-defenses-nerd-racism/

there is

it's called Spike TV

Recycling jokes

How green of you
    NO DON'T LINKED CRACKED I GOTTA GO TO BED

This comes down to do you believe that being patriotic is following the country or being patriotic is to question the country and its actions in belief that it can be improved.

I think part of it is that patriotism is something that has a large range. It can be something small as in, "I like my country but its got issues" to the "We are the middle kingdom and we are retaking our place in the world as such."

so maybe if you can acknowledge that patriotism can mean different things on different levels to different people

take a less objective tone with your argument?

just Saiyan, Vegeta
    Being American probably has something to do with how burnt out some people are with the word 'patriotic'.

It really gets ridiculous sometimes.
    _J_ wrote:

there is

it's called Spike TV

Recycling jokes

How green of you

He would have said "Esquire" but that got delayed till the Summer.
    I don't really understand how Cyborg became an A-list member of the Justice League

is he actually that popular?

i never read Titans so i have no idea

there is

it's called Spike TV

Recycling jokes

How green of you

consider that my reply only seems recycled because you posed the same question hours ago

I would agree that it's definitely a loaded term.
    network_sig2.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Can you be patriotic/proud of something that is average.

so maybe if you can acknowledge that patriotism can mean different things on different levels to different people

take a less objective tone with your argument?

just Saiyan, Vegeta

I guess the I thinks in the second post didn't stick out to you.

My post are my opinions. But I don't want to get into your little trap about kettle black stuff since you tend to talk in an objective manner till you decide not to to fit the argument. :P

Personally I was enjoying it because this is the type of stuff I study.
    falasig.png
    to be completely honest, for the most part the only folk I find the word patriotism to be loaded or controversial around on the internet

are Americans

so

idk
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I was all "Wait this terrain and plants and weather looks really familiar"

Turns out I have probably been there. Free points!
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I don't really understand how Cyborg became an A-list member of the Justice League

is he actually that popular?

i never read Titans so i have no idea

he's subbing martian manhunter, who always had a bit of a superman-with-telekinetic-powers problem

whereas cyborg opens up more plots for the lazy writer. just have the tech malfunction again.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Can you be patriotic/proud of something that is average.

how else could i talk about my weiner
This discussion has been closed.