Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I like the US. I like Colorado. I am very use to it. I am use to the problems. And in fact at a local level we are getting a lot better both culturally and legally. State is becoming more integrated. The bullshit hate that was around in the early '90s is being marginalized.

But I also loved living in Japan. Even if it is like living through looking glass with the interactions and social rules. But it was really nice. Sometimes you miss home but other times you see the awesome around you and the bad.

I really don't have problems moving around though to a new country or new city. Most of them I am pretty good at adapting and finding good things about them.

the good thing about being abroad is how every little tiny detail about the place is different and interesting

the other good thing about being abroad is how every little tiny detail about home is homely afterwards.
    xlh6c3.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I guess I just don't think countries are a good thing

They're a necessary organizational tier, and humans just associate with groups naturally

And the result is opposition against other groups

I don't agree.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    being a DC Comics fan these days is like watching your dad descend into alcoholism

well maybe not your dad

but like

your buddy's dad who you thought was kind of a cool guy before

and you're like

man

it's embarrassing as hell

I read all these names on their books and it's like a who's who of the shitty dark ages of the 90s

Bob Harras? Howard Mackie? Who the fuck was clamoring to read books written by Howard Mackie?

meanwhile Marvel is just kind of...there. their comics feel like a vestigial appendage of whatever the movies are doing at the moment.

so far as i am concerned the "New 52" is basically the most hideous malformed miscarriage of a decent idea I have ever seen

there have been worse ideas in the world

but I'm not sure if I ever seen what should have been a good idea fall apart so utterly.

it's a real shame. they had a lot of momentum (and produced some cool shit!) but it just seems to be grinding to a halt already
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Man patriotism is shit according to any understanding of patriotism I've ever seen.

Posting a claim about the goodness or badness of a thing without defining that thing is just semantic goosery. Who started this?

this does not seem like a helpful interjection

tone, fella, tone!

*flashes boobs*

Unless one can be sure that people who are going to disagree are self-aware enough to immediately ask one to define his terms rather than make assumptions, it's just semantic boatrocking to not lead with at least a rough definition.

dogg i also made a post suggesting that any sort of meaningful judgment here is dependent on definitions

i am saying your phrasing was incendiary is all
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

They're a necessary organizational tier, and humans just associate with groups naturally

They're relatively useful to lawless, state-of-nature brutality, but they might be relatively useless to something else.

I wish countries were generally more porous, and with less of a connection to ethnic identities, but as you say they sort of naturally go a certain way.
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    The new 52 Constantine was an abomination.

That is my entire thought on the stuff.
    falasig.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    > eigen(hess)
    $values
     [1]  1.793888e+03  8.839372e+02  2.681460e+00  2.214933e+00  1.319820e+00  1.207892e+00  1.147520e+00  1.089780e+00  5.955897e-01  5.696809e-01  1.065839e-01  1.453125e-06
    [13]  2.590387e-07  9.688525e-08  1.490858e-08  1.712598e-09  3.689942e-10 -7.198420e-12 -4.393240e-10 -5.676480e-10 -2.504747e-05 -3.385567e-04

fuck

They're relatively useful to lawless, state-of-nature brutality, but they might be relatively useless to something else.

I wish countries were generally more porous, and with less of a connection to ethnic identities, but as you say they sort of naturally go a certain way.

Ahh someone has been reading Hobbes.
    falasig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I never read a definition of patriotism and nationalism that really separated them. It's just connotations. Patriotism has generally positive connotations, nationalism has negative connotations.

So patriotism is kinda defined as 'nationalism, but good' and vice versa.

So if you start talking about whether you agree with patriotism/nationalism the conversation descends into clusterfuck very quickly, e.g. 'Nationalism like that is bad, but this patriotism here is good!'

I don't really know how to fix that.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I relate much better to the human species than to countries or even states.

This is interesting because I'm not sure how I relate to things. Or if I do normally? Do normal people relate to things?

I like California a lot but that has to do with climate and trans protection laws.

I am pretty whatever about America, for pretty much the same reasons.

I just feel really disconnected from stuff like this. I live in the state and we have a relationship because of that, but... I dunno.

But then I don't relate to humans as a whole I think? I only relate to individuals.
    I don't get iiiit
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

This is interesting because I'm not sure how I relate to things. Or if I do normally? Do normal people relate to things?

I like California a lot but that has to do with climate and trans protection laws.

I just feel really disconnected from stuff like this. I live in the state and we have a relationship because of that, but... I dunno.

But then I don't relate to humans as a whole I think? I only relate to individuals.

Well I could re-word it and say: I care more about the human species than I do about any individual country or state.
    Kagera wrote: »
    Patriotism has no more a loaded and maniacal history as a word or belief than religion.

Interestingly enough I nowadays make an effort to avoid self-identifying as religious, even though I am and that hasn't really changed

I just grew incredibly weary of people's demonized, horrific associations with that word and what it meant to them and I got so very, very tired of fighting with people about it.

I came to understand that's no victory there. There's no winning. There's no point to trying to have the fight with someone about. I gain nothing, even if by the end they agree with me they're no less prejudiced on the subject as when they started, they've just learned a thing not to talk to me about.

So I just... stopped. In general I've adopted the practice of avoiding all but the least controversial, most easily agreed-upon labels with the most neutral definitions possible outside of people with biases against those labels even existing.

I'm tired of fighting about this kind of stuff with people. It's why when some folks decided to trot out how much they hate the word the patriotism and started injecting their own personal definitions of the word as if that was what I meant, I just backpedaled and was like "hey whatever it means to you maaaaan"

anger's a young man's game indeed
    edited May 2013
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I never read a definition of patriotism and nationalism that really separated them. It's just connotations. Patriotism has generally positive connotations, nationalism has negative connotations.

So patriotism is kinda defined as 'nationalism, but good' and vice versa.

So if you start talking about whether you agree with patriotism/nationalism the conversation descends into clusterfuck very quickly, e.g. 'Nationalism like that is bad, but this patriotism here is good!'

I don't really know how to fix that.

That's not a clusterfuck. That's a discussion. Fuck the definitions connotations are everything.

(I swap patriotism and nationalism around there.)
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Can you be patriotic/proud of something that is average.

how else could i talk about my weiner

No, really. I think being proud of something that's average is kind of weird. And if you're proud of something that's above-average doesn't that imply that it's better than other things.

presumably you would be proud of the parts that are above average, since qualitative ratings like that are granular- i.e. i rule at some stuff and suck at others.

and for the shitty stuff i guess it becomes more about self-actuation and meaning. like, what does philadelphia mean to me? where despite its grime and awfulness it might have some particular, uniquely associated connection with me where i remember certain wonderful days looking at the skyline.

Well, to respond to you first, I have a difficult time not letting the bad stuff spoil the good. I favor ambivalence whenever there is a basis for such.

But where I'm going with that post is that, except in the context of maybe policy making where it would be helpful to know where we are quantitatively ahead or behind, I don't think it's very helpful or normal to consider that stuff in the day to day. It just doesn't figure into my thinking. When I think of my country in the context of the international community and interact with people from other countries I don't feel patriotism is really relevant.

that first thing seems like your hangup brah. i dunno. i am not big on idolizing country (except getting defensive about cunty europeans, no offense european forum brahs) but things do have dimensions and facets. ain't no place completely great or completely awful.

Right now I feel like human society is about at the 'getting stabbed non-fatally' level. You're gonna live, but getting stabbed sucks.

lots of stuff to get excited about broheim. ain't just terrorists and homophobes.

Well there is also the starvation and genocides.

blowjobs and milkshakes.

I would like, give up blowjobs and milkshakes for life if we could tone down the starvation and genocides.

dogg your depresshuns are making my depresshuns worse

THE WORLD IS BETTER THAN IT USED TO BE BUT IT STILL SUCKS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

The world has actually never been in a better state. Violence is at an all-time low across the globe, of all categories.
    vspgsp.jpg

Hobbes is my somber homeboy.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    Winky wrote: »

No, really. I think being proud of something that's average is kind of weird. And if you're proud of something that's above-average doesn't that imply that it's better than other things.

presumably you would be proud of the parts that are above average, since qualitative ratings like that are granular- i.e. i rule at some stuff and suck at others.

and for the shitty stuff i guess it becomes more about self-actuation and meaning. like, what does philadelphia mean to me? where despite its grime and awfulness it might have some particular, uniquely associated connection with me where i remember certain wonderful days looking at the skyline.

Well, to respond to you first, I have a difficult time not letting the bad stuff spoil the good. I favor ambivalence whenever there is a basis for such.

But where I'm going with that post is that, except in the context of maybe policy making where it would be helpful to know where we are quantitatively ahead or behind, I don't think it's very helpful or normal to consider that stuff in the day to day. It just doesn't figure into my thinking. When I think of my country in the context of the international community and interact with people from other countries I don't feel patriotism is really relevant.

that first thing seems like your hangup brah. i dunno. i am not big on idolizing country (except getting defensive about cunty europeans, no offense european forum brahs) but things do have dimensions and facets. ain't no place completely great or completely awful.

Right now I feel like human society is about at the 'getting stabbed non-fatally' level. You're gonna live, but getting stabbed sucks.

lots of stuff to get excited about broheim. ain't just terrorists and homophobes.

blowjobs and milkshakes.

I would like, give up blowjobs and milkshakes for life if we could tone down the starvation and genocides.

The world has actually never been in a better state. Violence is at an all-time low across the globe, of all categories.

That's what I said in the first part of my sentence, Winky!
    I get the impression that Hobbes never actually adhered exactly to the simplified notion that gets attributed to him (the one where he stands opposite Rousseau, who similar didn't adhere to his, either)

How did you feel about the boston bombing? Compared to say our bombing and shooting massacre?
    xlh6c3.png

Hobbes works well in his period of history.

Hobbes breaks down in modern day nation state system thanks to the development of the international system providing outlets for such anarchy.

Also a lot of work on realism has been done since then. If you want a realist bent go English School or go home.
    falasig.png
    Shivahn, additional clarification: say if a scientist were to discover something really cool. If that scientist resided inside of the United States, and if I were to feel pride or any emotion for that matter, I wouldn't think 'this is a win for the United States, I feel proud of my country', I would think it's a win for our species.

blowjobs and milkshakes.

pinker?
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    been in the Airport an hour already, in another hour until I get told what gate my flight is leaving from and another hour after that before it leaves. And after all that I'll still have go to work for a full day.
    Fuck this gay earth.
    sig.gif
    Shivahn wrote: »

Well I could re-word it and say: I care more about the human species than I do about any individual country or state.

Oh well then yes, I agree.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I like patriotism.

It seems fine except when bad people get involved. But you can substitute pretty much any -ism there.

Except communism, it's 100% bad.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think, and hope, national barriers are becoming less and less important as technology makes communication and economy more global and less restricted

We're going to see less and less national loyalty and pride in coming generations in the first world, and I think that's a good thing

It's fine to have pride in other people, but drawing the line at nationality seems silly to me. I am proud of Americans and Brits and Germans and other people who are largely culturally similar, when they embody the finer values and qualities of that culture. It's harder to find that commonality with more distant nations because there is so much difference, but when I see the man standing in front of the tanks, or a monk who will not retaliate despite any physical harm he suffers, or the courage of artists and writers in China in the face of oppressive government, I feel proud, I suppose. Or maybe just happy and glad.

National differences just cause so many problems, it seems foolish to glorify them and emphasis difference in so doing.
    edited May 2013
    god, I have gone down to the level of writing stuff that shows up in the _COUNTRY_ Economic Review, where _COUNTRY_ is not "American"

time to crank out five thousand words describing summary statistics :(
    ronya on
    being a DC Comics fan these days is like watching your dad descend into alcoholism

well maybe not your dad

but like

and you're like

man

I read all these names on their books and it's like a who's who of the shitty dark ages of the 90s

Bob Harras? Howard Mackie? Who the fuck was clamoring to read books written by Howard Mackie?

meanwhile Marvel is just kind of...there. their comics feel like a vestigial appendage of whatever the movies are doing at the moment.

so far as i am concerned the "New 52" is basically the most hideous malformed miscarriage of a decent idea I have ever seen

but I'm not sure if I ever seen what should have been a good idea fall apart so utterly.

it's a real shame. they had a lot of momentum (and produced some cool shit!) but it just seems to be grinding to a halt already

The true problem with New 52 is that they couldn't exercise a real firm definition of what it is retconned and what is not.

Like, Superman got a reboot and is brand new and everyone is like "Holy shit, have you heard of this Superman?" and Hal Jordan is meeting Batman for the first time and is mystified by the fact that he doesn't have superpowers.

But Jason Todd is the Red Hood, Brightest Day still happened, and most of Batman's history was untouched... except Barbara is Batgirl and was never Oracle.

I just

what?

like the entire thing smacked of some people wanted to get on board and some people didn't and it turned into a fucking mess because of it

what's the fucking point of doing a reboot when 50% of the writing staff folds their arms and says "Well I'm not rebooting my stories"

geoff johns i am scowling at you

(implying I am ever not scowling at geoff johns)
    Given my lack of belief in a kind of "free will", the notion of pride is kind of weird to me at a certain level.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    Shivahn, additional clarification: say if a scientist were to discover something really cool. If that scientist resided inside of the United States, and if I were to feel pride or any emotion for that matter, I wouldn't think 'this is a win for the United States, I feel proud of my country', I would think it's a win for our species.

Oh well yeah, same here.

Except I'd actually just think "OMG this is fucking awesome" and "Is that scientist single?"

I am in love with knowledge and stuff though.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also I like the United States of America and I think on balance it is the best country.

So. Too bad other countries, you're all right though. Most of you anyway.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Kagera wrote: »
    Patriotism has no more a loaded and maniacal history as a word or belief than religion.

Interestingly enough I nowadays make an effort to avoid self-identifying as religious, even though I am and that hasn't really changed

I just grew incredibly weary of people's demonized, horrific associations with that word and what it meant to them and I got so very, very tired of fighting with people about it.

I came to understand that's no victory there. There's no winning. There's no point to trying to have the fight with someone about. I gain nothing, even if by the end they agree with me they're no less prejudiced on the subject as when they started, they've just learned a thing not to talk to me about.

So I just... stopped. In general I've adopted the practice of avoiding all but the least controversial, most easily agreed-upon labels with the most neutral definitions possible outside of people with biases against those labels even existing.

I'm tired of fighting about this kind of stuff with people. It's why when some folks decided to trot out how much they hate the word the patriotism and started injecting their own personal definitions of the word as if that was what I meant, I just backpedaled and was like "hey whatever it means to you maaaaan"

anger's a young man's game indeed

that just makes me curious.

What kind of definition of "religious" do people use and what to they feel it implies
    xlh6c3.png
    Given my lack of belief in a kind of "free will", the notion of pride is kind of weird to me at a certain level.

It's easy to reconcile almost anything with lack of belief in free will.

I do it all the time!

well maybe not your dad

but like

and you're like

man

The true problem with New 52 is that they couldn't exercise a real firm definition of what it is retconned and what is not.

Like, Superman got a reboot and is brand new and everyone is like "Holy shit, have you heard of this Superman?" and Hal Jordan is meeting Batman for the first time and is mystified by the fact that he doesn't have superpowers.

But Jason Todd is the Red Hood, Brightest Day still happened, and most of Batman's history was untouched... except Barbara is Batgirl and was never Oracle.

I just

what?

like the entire thing smacked of some people wanted to get on board and some people didn't and it turned into a fucking mess because of it

what's the fucking point of doing a reboot when 50% of the writing staff folds their arms and says "Well I'm not rebooting my stories"

geoff johns i am scowling at you

(implying I am ever not scowling at geoff johns)

still

when your major stars are running into this problem:

batmaninc.jpg

you have to either adapt into becoming Marvel, or reboot.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "best country" is a silly phrase

to be frank, Loren, I don't know how you function day to day without having some kind of internally agreed upon stopping point to your higher ideals and acknowledging the functional realities of what is observable.

but then I'm equally mystified by other kinds of deterministic philosophies.
    Abdhyius wrote: »

How did you feel about the boston bombing? Compared to say our bombing and shooting massacre?

About the same. But I don't want to imply that I am super compassionate. Thinking about all of the bad stuff that happens all the time leaves me comparatively dead on the inside. I don't want any of that to happen but I don't grieve either.

Hobbes works well in his period of history.

Hobbes breaks down in modern day nation state system thanks to the development of the international system providing outlets for such anarchy.

"...but they might be relatively useless to something else", yes.
    2ezikn6.jpg

Given my lack of belief in a kind of "free will", the notion that this matters at all here is weird to me.
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

blowjobs and milkshakes.

That's what I said in the first part of my sentence, Winky!

I mean, it is literally the best it has ever been. That's not just above average, the only reason I can't claim we are sitting at the pinnacle of humanity is because it keeps getting better (not to say that everything can't go to shit, it certainly can, but so far it is not).

It is like being depressed that your corvette cannot reach 1000 mph.
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.