Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Patriotism is fine if it is of your own country. But once someone else starts acting that way about their own country seems annoying and self righteous.

Because patriotism at its heart is belief in a countries exceptionalism. And by espousing it you are stating your own countries exceptionalism over others.

This is why it gets annoying to everyone else in the room.

And all countries have their own belief in being exceptional. Some tend to be more vocal about it but it also is not unique.

Of course it is only very recently that has been treated as bad form to state such beliefs in public.

I don't think the idea that America is A Pretty Cool Country (that is not without its problems) necessarily means believing that it is The Best of All Possible Countries.

This comes down to do you believe that being patriotic is following the country or being patriotic is to question the country and its actions in belief that it can be improved.

I think part of it is that patriotism is something that has a large range. It can be something small as in, "I like my country but its got issues" to the "We are the middle kingdom and we are retaking our place in the world as such."

I would agree that it's definitely a loaded term.

I think just saying I am proud of x is better than saying one is a patriot or has patriotism. Less loaded history behind it and less assumptions tied to it.
    falasig.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Why isn't there WHITE entertainment television!!!

there is

it's called Spike TV

Recycling jokes

How green of you

consider that my reply only seems recycled because you posed the same question hours ago

fuq u narc
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    to be completely honest, for the most part the only folk I find the word patriotism to be loaded or controversial around on the internet

are Americans

so

idk

it's an ugly word in every country i've lived (israel, germany, america)

i'm a disease, and with me i bring ruin
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I had dinner with my roommate, and I hope he caught on to the fact that I am on lots of speed or else I probably came off as really weird.
    vspgsp.jpg
    to be completely honest, for the most part the only folk I find the word patriotism to be loaded or controversial around on the internet

are Americans

so

idk

Limited selection.

I find it used as a loaded term all the time with East Asia. In the Mid East, especially towards Iranians and Israelis. You can say it is a loaded term in Germany and I found it so with German exchange students.

It s a loaded term because many things were done in the name of patriotism and nationalism in many places. It is in vogue for it to be used as a loaded term with the US because the US has used it as an excuse to reduce disagreement with in its political system.
    falasig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I don't really understand how Cyborg became an A-list member of the Justice League

is he actually that popular?

i never read Titans so i have no idea

it's one of those decisions that has clearly been made at some higher level and filtered down everywhere else

five years ago he was a nostalgia character, like Moon Knight or something, but there has not been any sort of big groundswell of support to make Cyborg a big deal all of a sudden
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Patriotism is fine if it is of your own country. But once someone else starts acting that way about their own country seems annoying and self righteous.

Because patriotism at its heart is belief in a countries exceptionalism. And by espousing it you are stating your own countries exceptionalism over others.

And all countries have their own belief in being exceptional. Some tend to be more vocal about it but it also is not unique.

Of course it is only very recently that has been treated as bad form to state such beliefs in public.

I don't think the idea that America is A Pretty Cool Country (that is not without its problems) necessarily means believing that it is The Best of All Possible Countries.

This comes down to do you believe that being patriotic is following the country or being patriotic is to question the country and its actions in belief that it can be improved.

I think part of it is that patriotism is something that has a large range. It can be something small as in, "I like my country but its got issues" to the "We are the middle kingdom and we are retaking our place in the world as such."

so maybe if you can acknowledge that patriotism can mean different things on different levels to different people

take a less objective tone with your argument?

just Saiyan, Vegeta

I guess the I thinks in the second post didn't stick out to you.

My post are my opinions. But I don't want to get into your little trap about kettle black stuff since you tend to talk in an objective manner till you decide not to to fit the argument. :P

Personally I was enjoying it because this is the type of stuff I study.

it might seem inconsistent to you but one of the things i am all wishywashy subjective on is language

objectivity in word definition galls me, and it bothers me when the argument a person is posing isn't on the sentiment being expressed by language but that they don't like the word i use for it

because they have their own definition of it, and they're not willing to meet me halfway on it and say "well, when you say it, it doesn't mean the same thing as when i say it"
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Can you be patriotic/proud of something that is average.

how else could i talk about my weiner

No, really. I think being proud of something that's average is kind of weird. And if you're proud of something that's above-average doesn't that imply that it's better than other things.
    ronya wrote: »
    I don't really understand how Cyborg became an A-list member of the Justice League

he's subbing martian manhunter, who always had a bit of a superman-with-telekinetic-powers problem

whereas cyborg opens up more plots for the lazy writer. just have the tech malfunction again.

i... guess?

i just

i dunno he's always seemed like such a dorky character to me
    I've decided to get addicted to cocaine

so maybe if you can acknowledge that patriotism can mean different things on different levels to different people

just Saiyan, Vegeta

My post are my opinions. But I don't want to get into your little trap about kettle black stuff since you tend to talk in an objective manner till you decide not to to fit the argument. :P

it might seem inconsistent to you but one of the things i am all wishywashy subjective on is language

objectivity in word definition galls me, and it bothers me when the argument a person is posing isn't on the sentiment being expressed by language but that they don't like the word i use for it

because they have their own definition of it, and they're not willing to meet me halfway on it and say "well, when you say it, it doesn't mean the same thing as when i say it"

For somethings I agree with you.

But stuff like nationalism, patriotism and such have pretty specific meanings in stuff I study and really extensive histories tied to them. Such ideas and beliefs have produced a lot of horrible events in history outside and inside North America so it is one I am less wishy washy on.
    falasig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

No, really. I think being proud of something that's average is kind of weird. And if you're proud of something that's above-average doesn't that imply that it's better than other things.

I'm proud of that ketchup robot
    NO.
    So It Goes wrote: »

That ketchup robot needs your support.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

How was that robot average?

presumably you would be proud of the parts that are above average, since qualitative ratings like that are granular- i.e. i rule at some stuff and suck at others.

and for the shitty stuff i guess it becomes more about self-actuation and meaning. like, what does philadelphia mean to me? where despite its grime and awfulness it might have some particular, uniquely associated connection with me where i remember certain wonderful days looking at the skyline.
    I FUCKING LOVE THE KETCHUP ROBOT
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

How was that robot average?
    I would rate it's ketchup dispension average at best!
    NO.

just Saiyan, Vegeta

But stuff like nationalism, patriotism and such have pretty specific meanings in stuff I study and really extensive histories tied to them. Such ideas and beliefs have produced a lot of horrible events in history outside and inside North America so it is one I am less wishy washy on.

well, if you've got a better, less loaded single word that describes pride and confidence in one's country and the holarchical whole of the people in that country, hit me
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

are Americans

so

idk

Well I mean

You can kind of see why that would be the case. "Patriotism" here sometimes means unquestioningly agreeing with the government. We have the PATRIOT act legalizing some pretty terrible stuff. "Unpatriotic" is a slur leveled at those who don't unflinchingly think the government is good. It's charged with some weird anti-gay rhetoric at times.

I get where you're coming from, but there's definitely a legitimate reason Americans might be uncomfortable with the word.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Public-spirit?

just Saiyan, Vegeta

well, if you've got a better, less loaded single word that describes pride and confidence in one's country and the holarchical whole of the people in that country, hit me

Sadly I do not. I would just say "I am proud of being Canadian" or "I am proud of my country."

It is the feeling you are expressing but without the baggage that being a patriot of a country carries around the world.
    falasig.png
    Cinders wrote: »
    Public-spirit?

hyphen

disqualified
    You can be proud of something for being average when by any rights it ought to be below average but it pulled through somehow.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

I would agree that it's definitely a loaded term.

I think just saying I am proud of x is better than saying one is a patriot or has patriotism. Less loaded history behind it and less assumptions tied to it.

I mean I guess that works. Ultimately, though, people will read into a deliberate aversion to the use of the word "patriot" or "patriotism" however they want too, so I don't see any way around it. If the impression is that important, it: A) probably won't be made or broken on one word; and B) probably isn't as important as I think it is if it is made or broken on one word.
    network_sig2.png

just Saiyan, Vegeta

Sadly I do not. I would just say "I am proud of being Canadian" or "I am proud of my country."

It is the feeling you are expressing but without the baggage that being a patriot of a country carries around the world.

interestingly enough i generally find folks on the internet react more poorly to that than the word patriotic
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    If DC wanted to get some brown faces into the Justice League there really are some better options than Cyborg, who was always kind of bland

the new Blue Beetle, for instance, or graduate Static from whatever limbo he's in
    Organichu wrote: »

presumably you would be proud of the parts that are above average, since qualitative ratings like that are granular- i.e. i rule at some stuff and suck at others.

and for the shitty stuff i guess it becomes more about self-actuation and meaning. like, what does philadelphia mean to me? where despite its grime and awfulness it might have some particular, uniquely associated connection with me where i remember certain wonderful days looking at the skyline.

Well, to respond to you first, I have a difficult time not letting the bad stuff spoil the good. I favor ambivalence whenever there is a basis for such.

But where I'm going with that post is that, except in the context of maybe policy making where it would be helpful to know where we are quantitatively ahead or behind, I don't think it's very helpful or normal to consider that stuff in the day to day. It just doesn't figure into my thinking. When I think of my country in the context of the international community and interact with people from other countries I don't feel patriotism is really relevant.
    Winky wrote: »
    You can be proud of something for being average when by any rights it ought to be below average but it pulled through somehow.

RFS26.jpg

just Saiyan, Vegeta

interestingly enough i generally find folks on the internet react more poorly to that than the word patriotic

The internet also does other stupid things. And is mostly made up of cat pictures and porn.

But in real life interactions I find it is the opposite.

Of course the internet loves to put words in people's mouths too.
    falasig.png
    Winky wrote: »

I am proud of my country for not tearing itself apart despite it having every chance too.

Doesn't feel too good.
    being a DC Comics fan these days is like watching your dad descend into alcoholism

well maybe not your dad

but like

your buddy's dad who you thought was kind of a cool guy before

and you're like

man
    edited May 2013
    Organichu wrote: »

Well, to respond to you first, I have a difficult time not letting the bad stuff spoil the good. I favor ambivalence whenever there is a basis for such.

But where I'm going with that post is that, except in the context of maybe policy making where it would be helpful to know where we are quantitatively ahead or behind, I don't think it's very helpful or normal to consider that stuff in the day to day. It just doesn't figure into my thinking. When I think of my country in the context of the international community and interact with people from other countries I don't feel patriotism is really relevant.

that first thing seems like your hangup brah. i dunno. i am not big on idolizing country (except getting defensive about cunty europeans, no offense european forum brahs) but things do have dimensions and facets. ain't no place completely great or completely awful.
    Organichu on
    In general I don't find people respond negatively to self-identifying as a patriot or in general saying I'm proud to be a Canadian outside of the internet

but then that's when I'm around my own countrymen so
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    As a New England Patriot,
    turtlesig.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

he's subbing martian manhunter, who always had a bit of a superman-with-telekinetic-powers problem

whereas cyborg opens up more plots for the lazy writer. just have the tech malfunction again.

i... guess?

i just

i dunno he's always seemed like such a dorky character to me

he had to be taken out of the teen titans anyway, since he got forgotten by the shifting time-scale and became Old for reasons that are... unclear to me. the males always age - Robin gets substituted by successor Robins - and the females get periodically bumped back down to sixteen. but Cyborg doesn't have a successor waiting in the wings.
    being a DC Comics fan these days is like watching your dad descend into alcoholism

well maybe not your dad

but like

your buddy's dad who you thought was kind of a cool guy before

and you're like

man

it's embarrassing as hell

I read all these names on their books and it's like a who's who of the shitty dark ages of the 90s

Bob Harras? Howard Mackie? Who the fuck was clamoring to read books written by Howard Mackie?

meanwhile Marvel is just kind of...there. their comics feel like a vestigial appendage of whatever the movies are doing at the moment.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    My hair is too long. Where's the fashion thread.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    As an expatriot,
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.