Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    if this place isn't scandinavia somewhere I'll eat my liver.

I just have no idea where. But it has to be scandinavia. The rock does not look like this many places, the foliage does not look like this anywhere else, but the landscape is confusing me.
    xlh6c3.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I just have no idea where. But it has to be scandinavia. The rock does not look like this many places, the foliage does not look like this anywhere else, but the landscape is confusing me.
    Australia

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

Australia

south africa
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Well, the New Zealand flag is a giveaway in this one

but where in that antipodean zone is it
    turtlesig.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the maximum score per round must be 6500 points?

Presumably it uses some kind of exponential curve so that you score progressively more the closer you get.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    this is kinda hilarious to me
    Opengate Capital Group LLC filed a lawsuit on Friday alleging that laboratory equipment maker Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc sold it a Mexican plant last year without revealing that a drug cartel was operating there.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/consumer/sns-rt-us-thermofisher-lawsuit-opengatebre94a0g3-20130511,0,7394599.story
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    ok you nerds are good at geography but...

can you beat Gradius III?!?!

I. THINK. NOT.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Well, the New Zealand flag is a giveaway in this one

but where in that antipodean zone is it

Australia

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    So who was that Buddha73 guy? Seems he's an alt but looks like the main account got wise to "liking" what he posted and unliked it?
    Basically whenever I am wrong and put it somewhere else in the world. It turns out to have been Australia.

Whenever I do australia it turns out to be Alaska
    I don't google things I see in the signs, it takes the game out of it for me

but this time I moved down a road until I got any sign of any kind

two clues:

nyheter?ShowFile&image=1265224663.jpg

and sign warning of falling rocks that had red border, yellow backing.

so def. scandinavia, not norway. Not that it looked like anywhere in norway.

I guessed the northern parts of finland. It was north sweden.

Which although it is a good guess is still a guess that was a very very large amount of identical low woodlands away.
    xlh6c3.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    mOOk0Bn.png

4 out of 5 I was within a single km

the brazil one got me because I foolishly googled the name of the business on the side of a truck, not thinking it could have been 1500km away
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    morning folks
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't google, but walking around a little just makes sense to me

plus sometimes you see a UFO
    Per3th.jpg
    First game completed

21425 points
    turtlesig.jpg
    Last Active: May 3

He walks among us still
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Oh wow this looks like it could have been anywhere in Norway actually.

were it not for the chinese/japanese lettering.

And the houses. The houses have a very un-steep angled roof. They look a lot like what I've seen of japanese houses tooling around in google street view in northern japan.

It's pretty cool that I can actually recognize a place like this without ever having been within a thousand miles of it.
    xlh6c3.png
    Easiest way to tell Chinese and Japanese signs apart is to look for anything other than the complex characters thrown in the mix

if there is, you've got yourself a Japan there, mister
    turtlesig.jpg
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Basically whenever I am wrong and put it somewhere else in the world. It turns out to have been Australia.

Whenever I do australia it turns out to be Alaska

AustraliAlaska
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    like, I imagine a chubby middle manager in short sleeved button up and looney tunes tie rolling in, travel mug of coffee in hand, ready to chop some dead wood and get this plant in shape!

and he is met at the gate by a couple of guys with ak-47s
    Easiest way to tell Chinese and Japanese signs apart is to look for anything other than the complex characters thrown in the mix

I cannot recognize the difference.

But I do know japanese roofs.
    xlh6c3.png
    I don't google it because I am training myself to be abducted into any part of the world and identify my surroundings.
    xlh6c3.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm reasonably able to distinguish between the writing of various asian countries

i even successfully placed the crazy squiggle letters to southeast asia
    Per3th.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I've been up for precisely 39 minutes.

I am bored.

Essentially, if you see anything written with curves (and possibly in a single stroke), it's Japanese
    turtlesig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    so it seems to me that ideally the game should let you choose a research or non-research game, and the latter would immobilize you and force you to just guess. sometimes you end up on a highway in the Yukon at dawn and that's part of the fun.

and if you're playing a research game, your score decreases as the clock ticks. do whatever you have to, move around, google everything you see, but be quick about it.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    desert, trailer homes, English signs, weird-looking pyramidal Christian church, okay, this is obviously the American Southw-

wait a minute

weird-looking road sign

NICE TRY SOUTH AFRICA

The vegetation is really different though. Same with Oz. And you can also guess from things like resolution, road condition, things in the distance.

Just got 13567 no moving.

http://tinyurl.com/d3nzbm5

Though in fairness it was a shitty round but one of my pics was the bridge just north of the Sydney Opera House.

No moving. Never move.

Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So who was that Buddha73 guy? Seems he's an alt but looks like the main account got wise to "liking" what he posted and unliked it?

The purpose to the alt as near as I can tell was to cheat at phalla. The sock puppeting on conservative talking points while rejecting any independently sourced fact that contradicted Fox News was simply the bridge to far that got him busted.

I don't want to say this makes him worse than Hitler, I'm just saying that it's kind of unfortunate that SurealityCheck posted a tasteful, well-done vag pic and got hit with the same penalty as the dude who was worse than Hitler.

Puns obviously intended.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    A shade under 15k third go. Closest was about 30 k in Okinawa. I think I should stop till I finish work as it is pretty addictive!
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    so it seems to me that ideally the game should let you choose a research or non-research game, and the latter would immobilize you and force you to just guess. sometimes you end up on a highway in the Yukon at dawn and that's part of the fun.

and if you're playing a research game, your score decreases as the clock ticks. do whatever you have to, move around, google everything you see, but be quick about it.

I play the middle thing - I research, but don't google

so I move around until I recognize things
    xlh6c3.png

Essentially, if you see anything written with curves (and possibly in a single stroke), it's Japanese
    I have wowed my co-workers with the ability to tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

I secretly think they are blind. they all look radically different.
    or in this case, guess south africa when it was australia

FUCK YOU, SOUTH AFRICA AND AUSTRALIA
    xlh6c3.png

I have wowed my co-workers with the ability to tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

I secretly think they are blind. they all look radically different.

japanese and chinese aren't radically different

korean though is super distinctive
    xlh6c3.png
    or in this case, guess south africa when it was australia

FUCK YOU, SOUTH AFRICA AND AUSTRALIA

It's the combination of looking like anywhere in the world and being miles and miles away from any other streetview locations.

oh 68 points. Thanks Australia.
    This truck has a Norwegian ice cream manufacturer's logo on the side

probably Alaska
    turtlesig.jpg
    SammyF wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

The purpose to the alt as near as I can tell was to cheat at phalla. The sock puppeting on conservative talking points while rejecting any independently sourced fact that contradicted Fox News was simply the bridge to far that got him busted.

I don't want to say this makes him worse than Hitler, I'm just saying that it's kind of unfortunate that SurealityCheck posted a tasteful, well-done vag pic and got hit with the same penalty as the dude who was worse than Hitler.

Puns obviously intended.

right on brudda

*raises fist*

#freescheck
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    like, I imagine a chubby middle manager in short sleeved button up and looney tunes tie rolling in, travel mug of coffee in hand, ready to chop some dead wood and get this plant in shape!

and he is met at the gate by a couple of guys with ak-47s

I would watch this show.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Cut myself shaving, at a place where a pimple was healing. It's kind of better now? Like it looks healed over but there is a mass under the skin and it's still tender after a week.

Dying y/n
    eokNV.jpg
    wait, I recognize this location

the game has sent me back to the exact same location I was in earlier
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.