Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Ugh, how are people so bad!

So, I have this program that extracts the standard output from another program and parses it to do stuff with the data. For some reason on our new test machine this isn't working, I assume because of a configuration error on ITs part, but there's nothing I can do about that since I don't have access to the machine. I decided to throw in some error handling and if it fails to properly parse standard output it'll read the logs, since the program has a handy dandy format output as XML switch.

Problem: whoever wrote the XML logger is apparently functionally retarded, because it does not actually put out well-formed XML.

Why would you write an xml logger and include a switch to use that logger and then just kind of write out pseudo-xml?
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I used to play a game with some friends where they would find overhead images of buildings the knew in real life (mostly Google earth pics) and I would try and draw the floorplan.

It's actually pretty easy once you learn a few design facts. There's always a back door to the kitchen because people want the shortest route possible when carrying groceries, and the bathrooms and water heaters are usually placed in relation to the kitchen because that's where the water main usually comes up.

http://goo.gl/maps/7szWT

alright, go

I'll give it a try once I am not on my phone because that image looks like ass. Once I have better resolution I should be able to figure out where the service entrance for both restaurants are located, at which point game on.

as helpful start, I can tell you there's seven restaurants/bars.

See what I usually do is count the number of bins, the number of AC or heater vents, then guess that the kitchens and service entrances are all on the same side, and the bathrooms are probably sharing a wall between restaurants, but it's mostly an orange blur on my phone right now.

It was a joke suggestion. The kitchen and service entrances aren't on the same side. It's like four houses slapped together into one large building.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    What kind of music does a chiropractor listen to?
    Hip pop!!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    What did the Jewish pedophile say to the little boy?
    Hey kid, want to buy some candy?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    I let my dog out and 5 seconds later he's growling and agitated near our hose. About 75% this means a shadow has fallen wrong and as all-talk-no-action guard dog, he's alerting us. I go and look this time and there's a motherfucking garter snake biting 3 or 4 inch frog that didn't do anything to it. Except then I wasn't sure it was a garter snake so I'm wiping it with a dog leash to save Kermit's cousin until it backs away and hides.

WTF.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Don't worry, you just have to remember one thing:

You don't know better than the instructions.

Also, if you don't have extra heatsink paste, you will want to be extra careful because then, you only have one shot... I think.

what processor do you have

from googling it appears the thermal paste is already on the heatsink for an intel i5, and just melts as you use it the first time
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Let me get out my wallet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26704614.html

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    And on that note it is late, goodnight all.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Evigilant wrote: »
    4 times. 4 times the puppy woke me up last night. I kinda feel bad for my neighbors because she's a yammerer and barks when she needs to go outside.

I'm not really angry or upset because I'd rather the puppy go outside than in my condo, but my arms are sore as shit from running down 3 flights of stairs while holding the puppy to ensure that it doesn't go in my building.

She's becoming a real pro at going up and down stairs now though. I wish I could bring her to work, I miss her and I'm worried about her.

I think I remember the rule of thumb being a puppy can hold it for their age in months x2 hours

so you will have to take it out at night a lot at first : D
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

Also, if you don't have extra heatsink paste, you will want to be extra careful because then, you only have one shot... I think.

from googling it appears the thermal paste is already on the heatsink for an intel i5, and just melts as you use it the first time

Only skrubs use the stock thermal paste dawg.
    TehSloth wrote: »

*shrug* it sounds like it's adequate for stock clock speeds

if I overclock I will probably need a new sink/fan anyway

why add an extra step
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I fucking forgot part of my coffee press at home

Fuck everything
    Evigilant wrote: »
    4 times. 4 times the puppy woke me up last night. I kinda feel bad for my neighbors because she's a yammerer and barks when she needs to go outside.

I'm not really angry or upset because I'd rather the puppy go outside than in my condo, but my arms are sore as shit from running down 3 flights of stairs while holding the puppy to ensure that it doesn't go in my building.

She's becoming a real pro at going up and down stairs now though. I wish I could bring her to work, I miss her and I'm worried about her.

I think I remember the rule of thumb being a puppy can hold it for their age in months x2 hours

so you will have to take it out at night a lot at first : D

Totally depends on dog size too. A larger dog has a larger bladder and can hold it longer. Mine is 3/4 lab, 1/4 ?? (possibly Dane) and could let us sleep like 7 hours without having to go by 5, maybe 4 months.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png

*shrug* it sounds like it's adequate for stock clock speeds

if I overclock I will probably need a new sink/fan anyway

why add an extra step

The built on paste for the i5-2500K wasn't adequate, although the stock heat sink is probably good enough for non-overclocking if you have good airflow. It looks rinky-dink but wasn't bad.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Ugh, how are people so bad!

So, I have this program that extracts the standard output from another program and parses it to do stuff with the data. For some reason on our new test machine this isn't working, I assume because of a configuration error on ITs part, but there's nothing I can do about that since I don't have access to the machine. I decided to throw in some error handling and if it fails to properly parse standard output it'll read the logs, since the program has a handy dandy format output as XML switch.

Problem: whoever wrote the XML logger is apparently functionally retarded, because it does not actually put out well-formed XML.

Why would you write an xml logger and include a switch to use that logger and then just kind of write out pseudo-xml?

Incompetence?
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

IDGI
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular

Yeah, i have an i5 too. It comes with the paste pre-applied, but if you mess up, you'll need to clean up the old paste and re-apply new paste...
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Oh hey that's got to be within about a mile of my brother-in-law.

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

IDGI

The joke is that kids like candy.

IDGI

Bolded the relevant part of the joke.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

location?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Deebaser wrote: »

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

location?

The expensive bit of West London.
    japan wrote: »

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
    If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

IDGI

i got that just before reading this post

damn im slow today
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

IDGI

i got that just before reading this post

damn im slow today

No worries mate. It's a more subtle joke, pretty easy to miss if you're just skimming. <3

Anyway, goodnight for realsies.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    help i have to fart really bad but someone's in the toilet so i have to hold the fart in my butt until it dissolves and its deeply uncomfortable
    I have seen an estate agent try an pass off a 1 bedroom flat as having a living room as well as a bedroom because they put in a floor halfway up the room with a bed on top.

They didn't take my "are you serious?" well.

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

Urban real estate is asspensive, yo.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

That's estate agent speak. "3 bedroom" is distinct from "3 double bedroom". Generally a room will be described as a bedroom if a single bed will fit in it, even if nothing else will.

If your point generally was that house prices here (and London in particular) are too high, then I wouldn't disagree. Maybe if we could have a government that could be persuaded to spend some cash somewhere other than in London and the Southeast, it would help.
    ffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaq i forgot my headphones :(
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    help i have to fart really bad but someone's in the toilet so i have to hold the fart in my butt until it dissolves and its deeply uncomfortable

cant step outside the office for a second?
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-28638-1360686605-16.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I used to play a game with some friends where they would find overhead images of buildings the knew in real life (mostly Google earth pics) and I would try and draw the floorplan.

It's actually pretty easy once you learn a few design facts. There's always a back door to the kitchen because people want the shortest route possible when carrying groceries, and the bathrooms and water heaters are usually placed in relation to the kitchen because that's where the water main usually comes up.

http://goo.gl/maps/7szWT

alright, go

I'll give it a try once I am not on my phone because that image looks like ass. Once I have better resolution I should be able to figure out where the service entrance for both restaurants are located, at which point game on.

as helpful start, I can tell you there's seven restaurants/bars.

See what I usually do is count the number of bins, the number of AC or heater vents, then guess that the kitchens and service entrances are all on the same side, and the bathrooms are probably sharing a wall between restaurants, but it's mostly an orange blur on my phone right now.

It was a joke suggestion. The kitchen and service entrances aren't on the same side. It's like four houses slapped together into one large building.

And that's probably something I would have figured out if I could see this in a high enough resolution to see where the kitchens vent their heat. Basically I am now annoyed with you for not waiting til I got home because even when I am wildly wrong I like the deductive reasoning that goes into trying to figure something like this out, and I haven't tried it in a while.

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

That's estate agent speak. "3 bedroom" is distinct from "3 double bedroom". Generally a room will be described as a bedroom if a single bed will fit in it, even if nothing else will.

If your point generally was that house prices here (and London in particular) are too high, then I wouldn't disagree. Maybe if we could have a government that could be persuaded to spend some cash somewhere other than in London and the Southeast, it would help.

Vote SNP :P
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

I live in a three BR right now, but one of those "bed rooms" can fit a fullsize bed and nothing else.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalism

Who thought this was a good idea?!
    network_sig2.png
    I have seen an estate agent try an pass off a 1 bedroom flat as having a living room as well as a bedroom because they put in a floor halfway up the room with a bed on top.

They didn't take my "are you serious?" well.

Real estate agents are parasites.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    2 hours of work left. Holy fuck has today been boring.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Seven kingdoms, united in fear of Tywin Lannister.
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.