Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    My options are
    2.59% fixed for two years
    2.99% fixed for three years
    3.19% fixed for five years

So I'd like some macroeconomic genius to explain whether I should keep a single fixed rate for as long as possible or go for the absolute lowest.

You cant get a fixed rate for the life of the loan?
    the fuck?

It's a mortgage. I've never heard of anyone being able to get a mortgage that fixes their rate for longer than five years.

Now you have.
    It's called a "Fixed Rate Mortgage"
    USA
    USA
    USA

Are they a decent deal, though?

The usual thing here is that a fixed rate for a limited period is to protect you from interest rate increases, and not completely fuck you if interest rates drop. My gut feeling is that a lifetime fixed rate would either be relatively high or come with swingeing exit penalties.

Slightly higher, around 3.25%, but that's guaranteed for 30 years.

Yeah, in the US taking an ARM right now would be silly. I got 4.375% in 2011 before things got stupid-low last year - I think a 5-year ARM at the time was something like 3.25%, with the risk of rates being higher in 5 years.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    charles dance is the motherfucking man.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I live in a two bedroom house. They could have sold it as a three bedroom house due to the loft conversion, but I think you need another bathroom if you're having three bedrooms.

Also we don't have a bed for either of the other bedrooms.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Let me get out my wallet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26704614.html

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Oh hey that's got to be within about a mile of my brother-in-law.

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
    If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

Urban real estate is asspensive, yo.
    It's just everywhere else I've been the houses will be expensive but much larger or far cheaper for the same size.

For not much more than that house my brother bought an actual three bedroom house with a garage in Arlington, near public transport into DC. It was at least twice the size of the linked house.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    I have seen an estate agent try an pass off a 1 bedroom flat as having a living room as well as a bedroom because they put in a floor halfway up the room with a bed on top.

They didn't take my "are you serious?" well.

Real estate agents are parasites.

the only real estate agent I've ever known was at one time really good friends with all my local friends and he helped my brother buy a house and he thought investing in fannie may and freddie mac was something you should do with most of your money. Haven't really heard from him since 2008.

I think I still have all his boxes of mtg cards.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    In the US the rule is (and I think this is statutory in some places) that a bedroom has to have a closet(but not always), a door and a window(for fire purposes technically).
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In an old Law and Order episode, the detectives are looking at a possible motive and are like "This guy got a 5% fixed mortgage? Woah!"
    Casual wrote: »
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
    If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

That's estate agent speak. "3 bedroom" is distinct from "3 double bedroom". Generally a room will be described as a bedroom if a single bed will fit in it, even if nothing else will.

If your point generally was that house prices here (and London in particular) are too high, then I wouldn't disagree. Maybe if we could have a government that could be persuaded to spend some cash somewhere other than in London and the Southeast, it would help.

Vote SNP :P
    Our future lord Salmond will provide!!!

Houses for all HURRAH!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalism

Who thought this was a good idea?!
    The guy who designed my alma mater's campus :(
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

It's just everywhere else I've been the houses will be expensive but much larger or far cheaper for the same size.

For not much more than that house my brother bought an actual three bedroom house with a garage in Arlington, near public transport into DC. It was at least twice the size of the linked house.

the UK deffo has the smallest houses in Europe on average

which probably means we have the smallest houses in the first world

our houses are better built than most because they have to put up with shitty weather but a result of that is we're living in shoeboxes compared to everyone else
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

our houses are better built than most because they have to put up with shitty weather but a result of that is we're living in shoeboxes compared to everyone else

That and the whole island thing probably doesn't help either.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    got a 2.75% fixed 15 year mortgage yesss
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    In the US the rule is (and I think this is statutory in some places) that a bedroom has to have a closet(but not always), a door and a window(for fire purposes technically).

A closet is a fitted wardrobe, right?

For some reason this has reminded me of a friend's terrible housing situation (he's at Princeton in the states). His bedroom in a shared house is next to the bathroom. And only the bathroom. If somebody takes a shower then they lock him in his room. If somebody is having a poo then they lock him in his room. If somebody goes into the bathroom and passes out then he is locked in his bedroom until they awakened.

Worse is that this means the bathroom has two doors. One to the rest of the house and one to his room. You need to lock both if you don't want a surprise visitor while going to the toilet. You also need to remember to unlock both once you're finished.

It sounds like hell.

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Did some googling and woah.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/shortcuts/2012/may/16/architecture-housing

No wonder self storage places are booming.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

The entire campus? There's a building I saw in Cambridge -- maybe GSAS? or the architecture building -- that was done in this style. I mean, I see it as an Artistic Statement or whatever, but... damn. Also our entire community college campus was done like this, and I always assumed it was just because I figured it was the cheapest way to build the thing -- just put up some plywood scaffolding and fill that bitch with poured concrete.
    network_sig2.png
    kaleedity wrote: »

Nice. I wanted a 15-year, but the monthly payments would've been too high.
    a5ehren wrote: »

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

We actually have shit-tons of undeveloped land.

But once again, lolgovernment.
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    A quick google reveals that there is no such thing in the UK as a lifetime fixed rate mortgage. Five years at most.

I'd love to see the stat on how many people actually go to the full term on their 30-year mortgages, and how much that's changed over time. My understanding is that the 'game' is to get a 30-year and then either sell or trade up.
    network_sig2.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

But that house is in West London.
    I've been looking to buy a house/apartment seemingly forever. I've given up on Manhattan because it is impossible to find a 2BR suitable for raising babby on our pauper's budget of $500,000.

I can't even find anything in that range in a non SI outerborough.

Hell, it's not all that much fun looking in the surrounding suburbs to commute at that price point.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Damn immigrants.
  • CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular

There's a building in Stockholm built in that style. Legend - supported by gaps in the pavement in regular spaces around the building - suggests that it was intended to be a subversion of the brutalism style of architecture, but covering it in mural plants.

However, it turned out the concrete used was toxic to plants - which you'd think someone would check - which means they never get very far from patches of soil that huddle around the base of the building. So its basically one of, if not the, most ugly building in the entire city.

Where this shit turns fucking hilarious?

The building belongs to the School of Architecture.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:

SC cost of living is relatively insanely low. The house was $160k, 1500 sq ft, 3 bed and bathroom, good location. Well, good location for SC, if that's possible.
    Unless I'm reading it wrong? Mortgages can be confusing
    The Parker Morris standards (named after the committee's chair) required, for example, that a two-bed flat for four people should have a net floor area of 71 sq m, and that one for three or more people should have enclosed storage space for the kitchen of 2.3 cubic metres.

Parker Morris defined these standards as a minimum; builders, on the whole, interpreted them as a maximum.
    Awesome.

Also a friend of mine rented an old council flat. When it was a council flat it was a three bedroom place with a lounge room. The landlord was letting it as four separate 1 bedroom apartments with a shared kitchen and toilet. God I wish this country was different in that regard.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    A quick google reveals that there is no such thing in the UK as a lifetime fixed rate mortgage. Five years at most.

This makes the LIBOR scandal all the more hilarious
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Damn immigrants.

:(
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I'd love to see the stat on how many people actually go to the full term on their 30-year mortgages, and how much that's changed over time. My understanding is that the 'game' is to get a 30-year and then either sell or trade up.

I think my parents started with a 30, re-fi'd to a 15, and then did extra payments to pay off sooner
    edited May 2013

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Damn immigrants.

I'm sure cutting benefits will solve this. I'm not sure how, but I just know this to be true.
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    I survived my public speaking debacle
    camo_sig2.png

you took my advice?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    @quid

So like

That hundred push ups site
    Calixtus wrote: »

There's a building in Stockholm built in that style. Legend - supported by gaps in the pavement in regular spaces around the building - suggests that it was intended to be a subversion of the brutalism style of architecture, but covering it in mural plants.

However, it turned out the concrete used was toxic to plants - which you'd think someone would check - which means they never get very far from patches of soil that huddle around the base of the building. So its basically one of, if not the, most ugly building in the entire city.

Where this shit turns fucking hilarious?

The building belongs to the School of Architecture.

The Harvard School of Design is what I was thinking of.

786.jpg
    network_sig2.png

congrats

I'm imagining a pony going up on a stage with a mic and going "oh, um, err" for ten minutes.

I think my parents started with a 30, re-fi'd to a 15, and then did extra payments to pay off sooner

The benefit of these packages I'm offered with is I can also pay extra. I intend to do this.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Damn immigrants.

I'm sure cutting benefits will solve this. I'm not sure how, but I just know this to be true.

Strangely enough, if the cuts in housing benefit mean that the buy-to-let landlords have priced themselves out of the market, then it just might. It would rely on those rental properties being put up for sale, and being bought by people that intend to live in them, though, and I have no idea if that would be an extensive enough effect to bring house prices down generally.

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

But that house is in West London.
    I've been looking to buy a house/apartment seemingly forever. I've given up on Manhattan because it is impossible to find a 2BR suitable for raising babby on our pauper's budget of $500,000.

I can't even find anything in that range in a non SI outerborough.

Hell, it's not all that much fun looking in the surrounding suburbs to commute at that price point.
    The thing is you can go further out, say to hounslow, under the flightpath and prices won't be much cheaper. And this is 40mins - 1hour commute from the centre of town. Prices are so expensive people are commuting from Reading or Brighton. Maybe I should just move out to Slough.

• cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Hoping for that first home in the next year or so. But trying to get a down payment together has been daunting. I'm not really sure how much I need to save up. Some folks say you don't need much at all for a first time home buyer because of all the deals that get slung at you. But the guy at the bank made it seem like the only thing I could get with a smaller down payment would be stuff like HUD homes.
    Start talking about houses, the olds come out of the woodwork.

The entire campus? There's a building I saw in Cambridge -- maybe GSAS? or the architecture building -- that was done in this style. I mean, I see it as an Artistic Statement or whatever, but... damn. Also our entire community college campus was done like this, and I always assumed it was just because I figured it was the cheapest way to build the thing -- just put up some plywood scaffolding and fill that bitch with poured concrete.

Yep the whole thing.
    umass_dartmouth02.jpg
    University-of-Massachusetts-Dartmouth-422A2E30.jpg

Not the dorms, but the entire class room area.

Boston City Hall is too, and its ugly there too.
    1299365529-boston-city-hall-wikimedia11-528x351.jpg
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.