Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I think I shall go to see I'm So Excited tomorrow. It looks very good.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Only skrubs use the stock thermal paste dawg.

I am mad that you made me look this up

after googling I find that thermal paste is necessary (or some kind of conductor to replace the air gap)

the type doesn't matter

25kpzb9.gif

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/1
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    For £128k I have a place that is 20 minutes on foot from the City Centre, and is right next to a major bus route.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    got a 2.75% fixed 15 year mortgage yesss

Nice. I wanted a 15-year, but the monthly payments would've been too high.

I'd love to see the stat on how many people actually go to the full term on their 30-year mortgages, and how much that's changed over time. My understanding is that the 'game' is to get a 30-year and then either sell or trade up.

That's the game as long as you work under the assumption that the value of your home increases on a consistent basis and you have places to move to where the value isn't rising as fast.

If your house rises from 200k to 250k, that doesn't really do you any good unless you are able to move somewhere where that 250k gets you more than what you already had...
    a5ehren on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also it's semi-detatched rather than terraced, so I can be loud in at least part of it.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Let me get out my wallet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26704614.html

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Oh hey that's got to be within about a mile of my brother-in-law.

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
    If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

Urban real estate is asspensive, yo.
    It's just everywhere else I've been the houses will be expensive but much larger or far cheaper for the same size.

For not much more than that house my brother bought an actual three bedroom house with a garage in Arlington, near public transport into DC. It was at least twice the size of the linked house.

the UK deffo has the smallest houses in Europe on average

which probably means we have the smallest houses in the first world

our houses are better built than most because they have to put up with shitty weather but a result of that is we're living in shoeboxes compared to everyone else

That and the whole island thing probably doesn't help either.

We actually have shit-tons of undeveloped land.

But once again, lolgovernment.

Damn immigrants.

I'm sure cutting benefits will solve this. I'm not sure how, but I just know this to be true.

Strangely enough, if the cuts in housing benefit mean that the buy-to-let landlords have priced themselves out of the market, then it just might. It would rely on those rental properties being put up for sale, and being bought by people that intend to live in them, though, and I have no idea if that would be an extensive enough effect to bring house prices down generally.

See? I told you it would work.

Vote Conservative.
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    scrub
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    3 bedroom terraced house for sale £180,000 CONCRETE BUILT PROPERTY- CASH BUYERS OR INVESTORS ONLY

Let me get out my wallet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26704614.html

Nice and spacious.

A steal at £400k

Oh hey that's got to be within about a mile of my brother-in-law.

Anywhere within walking distance of Richmond Park is going to pretty bad in terms of house prices, even by London standards.
    If I go out to hounslow directly under the Heathrow flightpath it is not much better. Also that house is absolutely tiny, three bedrooms is a lie. For people not familiar with UK houses there is probably no way to fit a double bed and as well as other furniture into the bedrooms.

Urban real estate is asspensive, yo.
    It's just everywhere else I've been the houses will be expensive but much larger or far cheaper for the same size.

For not much more than that house my brother bought an actual three bedroom house with a garage in Arlington, near public transport into DC. It was at least twice the size of the linked house.

But that house is in West London.
    I've been looking to buy a house/apartment seemingly forever. I've given up on Manhattan because it is impossible to find a 2BR suitable for raising babby on our pauper's budget of $500,000.

I can't even find anything in that range in a non SI outerborough.

Hell, it's not all that much fun looking in the surrounding suburbs to commute at that price point.
    The thing is you can go further out, say to hounslow, under the flightpath and prices won't be much cheaper. And this is 40mins - 1hour commute from the centre of town. Prices are so expensive people are commuting from Reading or Brighton. Maybe I should just move out to Slough.

My commute is an hour.
    :(
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    got a 2.75% fixed 15 year mortgage yesss

Nice. I wanted a 15-year, but the monthly payments would've been too high.

I'd love to see the stat on how many people actually go to the full term on their 30-year mortgages, and how much that's changed over time. My understanding is that the 'game' is to get a 30-year and then either sell or trade up.
    There's now laws (thanks Obama) that say there can't be a punishment for paying early, so you can just put in extra on top each month and it comes directly off what you owe (instead of being largely interest in the first few years). Then if your circumstance changes, you're not stuck with a 15 year deal
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I had a friend who used to commute from Brighton. It's madness.

People apparently also commute into London from Bristol and Birmingham though. It's insane. That is an incredibly expensive multi-hour train journey.
    edited May 2013

after googling I find that thermal paste is necessary (or some kind of conductor to replace the air gap)

the type doesn't matter

25kpzb9.gif

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/1

so what you're saying is, the best thermal compounds are twice as effective as chocolate?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Hey [Chat]
    Last saturday I got into a fight with my wife such that she did not want to hang out with me. So I went to a friend's thing at a beer garden and day drank like Whoa. I also picked her up a pair of nice sunglasses (This fight was brewing over a few days and was sourced with sunglasses). She on the otherhand stayed home and built one of those organizer shelving units and stacked and sorted all the bridal shower gifts from last year, something I absolutely did not want to do.

Who won the fight?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

the type doesn't matter

25kpzb9.gif

If you wanna be cool you have to mix up your own diamond paste.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

People apparently also commute into London from Bristol and Birmingham though. It's insane. That is an incredibly expensive multi-hour train journey.
    Have you ever tried getting on that train?

I saw a conductor frantically waving a conch,
    tides of human flesh crashing against the doors.

A child crying.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

the type doesn't matter

25kpzb9.gif

so what you're saying is, the best thermal compounds are twoce as effective as chocolate?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Arctic Silver is cheap enough, and I've been using it long enough, that I'm not concerned about what kind of bang I'm getting for my buck. You also have to factor in longevity, which isn't pictured there.
    network_sig2.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Hey [Chat]
    Last saturday I got into a fight with my wife such that she did not want to hang out with me. So I went to a friend's thing at a beer garden and day drank like Whoa. I also picked her up a pair of nice sunglasses (This fight was brewing over a few days and was sourced with sunglasses). She on the otherhand stayed home and built one of those organizer shelving units and stacked and sorted all the bridal shower gifts from last year, something I absolutely did not want to do.

Who won the fight?

Probably her? If it was about sunglasses and she got some new sunglasses...
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Hey [Chat]

Who won the fight?

The wife always wins in the end.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I figure it would be dangerous to get into an argument with a bob-omb.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    computer just overheated again

at least this time I don't need to re-image it to get internet exploder working

def getting a replacement this week
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Woah, got an email that my free dyndns account that I've had for years will now require a log in every 30 days or I get dropped. And the updater that I run will no longer suffice. Hmm. While I do enjoy the service so my friends can connect to my mumble server, I wonder if its worth it to just pay 10 bucks for the year. Cause I know I'll forget and not log in.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Woah, got an email that my free dyndns account that I've had for years will now require a log in every 30 days or I get dropped. And the updater that I run will no longer suffice. Hmm. While I do enjoy the service so my friends can connect to my mumble server, I wonder if its worth it to just pay 10 bucks for the year. Cause I know I'll forget and not log in.

There are a wide variety of ways you could automate this.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
    @deebaser is this my fault

because of sunglasses
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

You could probably also write a script to do it for you and set it up as a recurring task or cron job or whatever.

Might... might not be worth it at ten bucks a year though :P
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    I'ma get this distributor in Tennessee

I'ma git 'im
    computer just overheated again

at least this time I don't need to re-image it to get internet exploder working

def getting a replacement this week

break out the diaper ointment
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Deebaser you cannot let the women win. If they get up enough self-esteem, shit they might even start asking for The Vote.
    network_sig2.png
    edited May 2013
    @deebaser is this my fault

because of sunglasses

accully is not.
    this is seperate sunglasses drama.

She asked me to pick up sunglasses while I was at C21.
    I asked... k... what type?
    She said "oh anything", which was a trap.

I got new bigger clubmasters. They're the bes.
    Thanks 4 the tip.
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Have you ever tried getting on that train?

I saw a conductor frantically waving a conch,
    tides of human flesh crashing against the doors.

A child crying.

The Virgin pendolino? London meetings. :rotate:
    thats a for sure trap
    Delmain wrote: »

There are a wide variety of ways you could automate this.

And I guess that's what kind of confuses me. Surely they know even half savvy folks will work in some sort of automation. Hell , it wouldn't surprise me if logging automation starts being packaged into the third party IP updating software. Seems like they are just trying a hamfisted method to push out old grandfathered in free accounts.
    edited May 2013
    starting next week, I have 2 days off each week for 3 weeks straight

muahahaha 3 day work weeks up in dis bish
    skippydumptruck on
    all i want is a set of shades that enclose my eyes so i'm not getting blinded from the top or side which don't look like shit

is that too much to ask?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

You

HODGEHEG

/jealous
    /hate
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    @Shivahn you are a butt

in the best kind of way
    turtlesig.jpg
    ALSO one of the days next week is our annual volunteer thing

I am going to the animal shelter to walk doggies for half a day

(partially because I still feel guilty for giving my dog up last year)
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Shivahn you are a butt

in the best kind of way

<3

It is too early and I am groggy

And apparently in the drunk "I love you man" way :P
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    (that is Simon for "thanks for the game, butt-friend, I treasure you and your place in the world")
    turtlesig.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalism

Who thought this was a good idea?!
    The guy who designed my alma mater's campus :(

The entire campus? There's a building I saw in Cambridge -- maybe GSAS? or the architecture building -- that was done in this style. I mean, I see it as an Artistic Statement or whatever, but... damn. Also our entire community college campus was done like this, and I always assumed it was just because I figured it was the cheapest way to build the thing -- just put up some plywood scaffolding and fill that bitch with poured concrete.

@podly likes it, I believe
This discussion has been closed.