Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Like, "15-day stubble" is not even a concept I can imagine. That's just "beard" for me.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    as for rap, the 90s were the era that made gangsta rap the only real option in the rap game. it was, i think, a real disservice to the genre, and it wasn't until the 2000s that rap started to become playful or innovative again.

I have to disagree with the accuracy of this statement quite heavily, and I'd say it was the other way around. 90s meant experimentation and coastal influences, 2000s meant ATL/HOU dominance and stagnation of the game

But I have to finish something up which sucks because I'm enjoying this discussion!

I agree with this - the Dirty South crowded out a lot of more interesting rap in the early 2000s. It wasn't until later that folks like Mos Def and Common started to get the recognition they deserve.

But the dirty south was pretty much where it was at from the late 90s to the early 2000s. Sadly it lingered way too long but Dungeon Family and Cash Money Millionaires stuff was great at the time. Country Grammar was a great album.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Sales person decided to be sneaky and told one of the interns to write an RFP response for him. Now I do have them reading RFPs, mostly to provide one page summaries. Now there is a huge gap, between filling out a sheet that says "Bond Requirement: Y/N" and understanding what the difference between a bid bond and a performance bond is. Let alone filling out the technical requirements response for this one. Poor intern took a stab at it but ended up bringing it to me. I've spent the last few hours in a meeting where it was pointed out to us that the walls of offices aren't very thick. So that was that.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    what rules are you guys playing geoguessr by

do you allow yourselves to google phone number country codes, for instance?
    from last night, but I was playing purely based on what I could see and remember, with no googling names or numbers or anything else
    NO.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Apparently the 'man bun' is very fashionable right now?

0126noticed-articleLarge.jpg

I feel like this only works because he is already an attractive dude.

Meanwhile I feel like that doesn't work, and also it's not a man bun it's just a regular bun.

Attaching "man" to shit totally makes it manly. Just look at all those totally manly grooming products and perfumes that are totally different from the female stuff!

Man-purse.

No honey, that's a regular purse. Which is fine! But seriously stop prepending "man" to everything and pretending it somehow makes it superior.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

frankie liked ska a lot though.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.

Eh see that's where we differ a bit. I have no problem with the music they made, but that's not what punk was, originally. When I think punk I think Velvet Underground, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedies and Crass as the genre standards. Music with a message against a system. I didn't hate NOFX or Pennywise or anything (some of their stuff has even grown on me, and I'll listen it through when it pops up.)" but I just think their music was Pop ispired by Punk instead of actual Punk music.

Ska is a very convoluted conversation to get into, since there has been a lot of "Proto-ska" bands, but I really dig some of the punk ska combinations like Less than Jake and Citizen Fish. If you've never heard The Specials they're the grandsires of current ska, imho. Ghost Town is an awesome track, and Rudy.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Apparently the 'man bun' is very fashionable right now?

0126noticed-articleLarge.jpg

I feel like this only works because he is already an attractive dude.

Meanwhile I feel like that doesn't work, and also it's not a man bun it's just a regular bun.

Attaching "man" to shit totally makes it manly. Just look at all those totally manly grooming products and perfumes that are totally different from the female stuff!

Man penis.

It really works!

As opposed to lady penis.

Which also works but takes longer.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    So, chat, all answer one word so I can build consensus (reasons if you want, it just y/n is greatly appreciated.)

Weezer yay or nay?

Yay. i don't know them, but i'm okay with anyone liking whatever they like.

Even Hitler?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Like, "15-day stubble" is not even a concept I can imagine. That's just "beard" for me.
    Man, I look like Gimli after 15 days!

Yeah it's like a day and a half for me and I can pluck.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Undone by Weezer is the BRO song.
    Its a song for BROs by BROs.
    BRO LIFE
    Eddy wrote: »
    as for rap, the 90s were the era that made gangsta rap the only real option in the rap game. it was, i think, a real disservice to the genre, and it wasn't until the 2000s that rap started to become playful or innovative again.

I have to disagree with the accuracy of this statement quite heavily, and I'd say it was the other way around. 90s meant experimentation and coastal influences, 2000s meant ATL/HOU dominance and stagnation of the game

But I have to finish something up which sucks because I'm enjoying this discussion!

I agree with this - the Dirty South crowded out a lot of more interesting rap in the early 2000s. It wasn't until later that folks like Mos Def and Common started to get the recognition they deserve.

Ludicrous was my favorite rapper post Eazy-E's death, and all the OGs selling out.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    So, chat, all answer one word so I can build consensus (reasons if you want, it just y/n is greatly appreciated.)

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

Well, maybe Hitler liked Wagner... that still doesn't make everyone who likes Wagner Hitler...
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    weezer was kind of a fun band

though i feel like they put out the same song like ten times

The blue album still holds up, it's very good beginning to end. Most of the rest of their stuff is pretty eh.
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

We should outlaw painting and vegetarianism.
    network_sig2.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    I only use all-in-one bodywash-shampoo-conditioner that comes out of black oil container looking things and have "FOR MEN" written on them several times just to be sure.

CASTROL GTX PRESENTS MEN'S SHAMPOO FROM MEN

If you use the same shampoo as a girl, your penis falls off.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Weezer yay or nay?

Their popular songs are catchy as hell, but there isn't really anything to them. Going to say "nay" because they're pretty much the definition of empty rock-pop.

I think it depends on the album. They have changed a lot over the years. What they play now doesn't even sound like what I think of weezer from years ago.

As a person who can't really name any of their albums and only listens when it comes up on Rock Band or Pandora, I can't distinguish early/late Weezer.

That's sort of the problem. But also, there are songs like Beverly Hills that are just atrocious and unlike their usual stuff.

beverly hills is basically the hook from the sweater song turned into its own song
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'd have to say "nay" on Weezer.

Though around the time that "Sweater Song" was big some young guy who worked at my dad's lumber yard argued to convince my dad (Mr. Classic Rock) that Weezer was clearly superior to the Beatles. Some people apparently liked them very very much.
    cptrugged on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hah, wow Will.

You really don't like RHCP? I mean, looking at Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and then jumping to Stadium Arcadium you don't like any of it?

They have evolved a lot!

yeah they have always rubbed me the wrong way in, like, every iteration.

i blame it on the fact that they're every inch an LA band with an LA sound/ attitude. but who knows why i really dislike them?

i will concede that they're better than most of the other quintessential 90s bands

There is no accounting for (your bad) taste.

;)

I'm always surprised when I run across people who don't like RHCP, but I suppose if you don't like the LA vibe at all, then you will not like them! But the groove is imho top notch.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

If I don't shave for 15 days then I'm gonna need to do a pass with the trimmer before I start shaving.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    So It Goes wrote: »

from last night, but I was playing purely based on what I could see and remember, with no googling names or numbers or anything else

When in doubt, it's p much always Australia.
    Also mentioning traps got me looking for good examples of ladies with solid traps, but all I keep coming across are dudes. Like this guy, who I am not afraid to say I would like to look like.

Like look like look like look like.
    killer-traps.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

and mustaches, and wearing clothes... and of course, elections of all types.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

that is how i play it

i do allow myself to click around to see if i can find a sign or license plates or something tho
    Also mentioning traps got me looking for good examples of ladies with solid traps, but all I keep coming across are dudes. Like this guy, who I am not afraid to say I would like to look like.

Like look like look like look like.
    killer-traps.jpg

You can't glue a human head to a giant slug, that's unnatural!

Weezer yay or nay?

*scribbles notes furiously* thanks for the answers thus far.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

Yeah, I played some this morning and that's how I was doing it. Like, I'd zoom in to see if I could read something but if I don't know it off-hand I just had to use it to make an educated guess. Like, if I see a street sign that says "calle" and really old architecture I'll usually go with somewhere in spain. Second-guessed myself on one of my best rounds and went mexico instead of spain in a situation like that and ended up just missing out on breaking 10k :(
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    Also mentioning traps got me looking for good examples of ladies with solid traps,

h7e6DqM.png
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."

that is how i play it

i do allow myself to click around to see if i can find a sign or license plates or something tho

Yeah, I'll hunt all over the actual picture/panorama for clues, but I don't do any supplemental googling.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Also mentioning traps got me looking for good examples of ladies with solid traps,

h7e6DqM.png

I loved that in the gender swap episodes, they made no change whatsoever to her.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    tonerrrr explosionnnnnnnnn
    multifunction printers suck so much ass.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Nothing quiet like those lumps.
    falasig.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Well at least I think we can all agree that Toto is goddamn amazing.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
    There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
    I bless the rains down in Africa
    Gonna take some time to do the things we never had
    :whistle:
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    blue album is in my top ten favorite albums of all time

it echoes a certain time and feeling so well
    NO.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular

Also known as not cheating.

You are one of the brave few.

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. He sometimes had a vegetarian diet because of gas issues but the idea he was a vegetarian was just Gobbles propaganda.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular

Weezer yay or nay?
    I like it when he sings You've Got a Friend in Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=zzb6wZX4e4E
    jBEKRTH.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    i miss my fat neville and sweet sasha :C
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Weezer yay or nay?

Even Hitler?

Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. He sometimes had a vegetarian diet because of gas issues but the idea he was a vegetarian was just Gobbles propaganda.

Fine. That was only one of many great reasons to outlaw vegetarianism.
    network_sig2.png
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Well at least I think we can all agree that Toto is goddamn amazing.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
    There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
    I bless the rains down in Africa
    Gonna take some time to do the things we never had
    :whistle:

the lyrics in that song hurt my soul
    NO.
This discussion has been closed.