Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    "Rear Admiral Choco" I NEED TO GET LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID

Chat in general needs to get laid.

There is a line forming even.

Stop hogging all the sex.

Aaron and I have been having sex for so long that our genitals are perfectly molded to one another
    Shivahn wrote: »
    "Rear Admiral Choco" I NEED TO GET LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID

Chat in general needs to get laid.

There is a line forming even.

Stop hogging all the sex.

Aaron and I have been having sex for so long that our genitals are perfectly molded to one another

You should be careful or one of these days they're just going to fuse together.

vspgsp.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Like, Joe Strummer himself said that he didn't consider the Clash's later stuff punk in the least. Kinda hard to call Rock the Casbah a punk song. ;)

yeah combat rock was not so much a punk album.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    blink 182 was uptempo 3 chord songs about girls with standard ramones drums

BUT IT WAS TOTALLY POSER MUSIC B-CUZ IT WAS POPULAR GAWD

You can complain about Blink 182 but as far as musicality and message goes the Ramones weren't much different
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
    Oh no it's Haps
  • Element BrianElement Brian Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

frankie liked ska a lot though.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.

Eh see that's where we differ a bit. I have no problem with the music they made, but that's not what punk was, originally. When I think punk I think Velvet Underground, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedies and Crass as the genre standards. Music with a message against a system. I didn't hate NOFX or Pennywise or anything (some of their stuff has even grown on me, and I'll listen it through when it pops up.)" but I just think their music was Pop ispired by Punk instead of actual Punk music.

Ska is a very convoluted conversation to get into, since there has been a lot of "Proto-ska" bands, but I really dig some of the punk ska combinations like Less than Jake and Citizen Fish. If you've never heard The Specials they're the grandsires of current ska, imho. Ghost Town is an awesome track, and Rudy.

the ramones, the descendents, the sex pistols and the clash (before they got too political) were exactly about diy music that was fun to see at a show and didn't take itself too seriously. these are probably the first actual punk bands if you're not, like, someone who insists on richard hell/ television/ etc

the next wave of punk - dk, suicidal tendencies, bad brains, etc, got really political and angry and angsty and whatever - they have their place - but it's not like this is the only legit punk music. i really don't care for this era of punk. IMO, the best thing that came out of punk in the 80s were the arty alt-rock post-punk like the talking heads and elvis costello and the pogues.

so then you have the 90s pop-punk stuff that is just kids making fun music and not taking themselves too seriously - just like the ramones and early clash - and suddenly they're considered not "real punk"?! it's ridiculous.

i'm not even sure i'd consider the velvet underground legit "punk" - though i like them a lot. they were an art-rock band bankrolled by andy warhol.

i do like the specials. really i think i like the early ska because it hadn't really settled into a distinct formula. one of my friends got super into ska in the 90s - he'd wear clothes with checkerboards on them and blast ska in his car all day every day - and it all kind of ran together to me.

The first four you mentioned weren't about having fun, but about either making money, or had a political ideology/nihilist/disenfranchisement with "the system" that they wished to express in art. It's kinda hard to characterize early punk shows as occurring just for a group to have fun; more having their voices/feelings heard.

There're a lotta precursors to punk (much like Rock & Roll and Jazz), and imho, the Velvet Underground was the closest. I can respect your not liking the same type of punk as me, but the pop punk of the 90s was much different than what was originally perceived to be so. Lets not even get started about the financial differences.

90s music can't really be discussed without talking about how MTV distorted the whole industry

Fucking Limp Bizkit.

God damn you Carson Daly.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    oh instead of a closed hi hat travis barker really liked that ride cymbal
    919UOwT.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.

Eh see that's where we differ a bit. I have no problem with the music they made, but that's not what punk was, originally. When I think punk I think Velvet Underground, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedies and Crass as the genre standards. Music with a message against a system. I didn't hate NOFX or Pennywise or anything (some of their stuff has even grown on me, and I'll listen it through when it pops up.)" but I just think their music was Pop ispired by Punk instead of actual Punk music.

Ska is a very convoluted conversation to get into, since there has been a lot of "Proto-ska" bands, but I really dig some of the punk ska combinations like Less than Jake and Citizen Fish. If you've never heard The Specials they're the grandsires of current ska, imho. Ghost Town is an awesome track, and Rudy.

the ramones, the descendents, the sex pistols and the clash (before they got too political) were exactly about diy music that was fun to see at a show and didn't take itself too seriously. these are probably the first actual punk bands if you're not, like, someone who insists on richard hell/ television/ etc

the next wave of punk - dk, suicidal tendencies, bad brains, etc, got really political and angry and angsty and whatever - they have their place - but it's not like this is the only legit punk music. i really don't care for this era of punk. IMO, the best thing that came out of punk in the 80s were the arty alt-rock post-punk like the talking heads and elvis costello and the pogues.

so then you have the 90s pop-punk stuff that is just kids making fun music and not taking themselves too seriously - just like the ramones and early clash - and suddenly they're considered not "real punk"?! it's ridiculous.

i'm not even sure i'd consider the velvet underground legit "punk" - though i like them a lot. they were an art-rock band bankrolled by andy warhol.

i do like the specials. really i think i like the early ska because it hadn't really settled into a distinct formula. one of my friends got super into ska in the 90s - he'd wear clothes with checkerboards on them and blast ska in his car all day every day - and it all kind of ran together to me.

The first four you mentioned weren't about having fun, but about either making money, or had a political ideology/nihilist/disenfranchisement with "the system" that they wished to express in art. It's kinda hard to characterize early punk shows as occurring just for a group to have fun; more having their voices/feelings heard.

There're a lotta precursors to punk (much like Rock & Roll and Jazz), and imho, the Velvet Underground was the closest. I can respect your not liking the same type of punk as me, but the pop punk of the 90s was much different than what was originally perceived to be so. Lets not even get started about the financial differences.

90s music can't really be discussed without talking about how MTV distorted the whole industry

Fucking Limp Bizkit.

Just wait, I heard they're coming back.
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    winky you got the shakes
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I've gotta admit, I've always had a thing for the 90's bands like New Radicals, Cake, Violent Femmes, Pulp, Outfield, Garbage, etc.

A lot of it I wouldn't choose to listen to today, but I definitely don't mind if I happen to have one of their songs come up in the shuffle.

violent femmes were really an 80s post-punk band. by the 90s they were done.

i have a real soft spot for blur and cake tho. 90s britpop had some good stuff.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Why do we always say that 'omg girls who have sex too much are gross and stretched out'

why can't we go

'omg guys who have too much sex have worn their penis down to a nub'
    I'm in a moving bus and this mobile site is awful.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Ramones' political views really surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it wasn't really surprising that a bunch of angry urban-rednecks who hated europeans were huge reaganites and bush supporters
    Eddy on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Why do we always say that 'omg girls who have sex too much are gross and stretched out'

why can't we go

And now Choco's new nickname is stumpy.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The Ramones' political views really surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it wasn't really surprising that a bunch of angry urban-rednecks were huge reaganites and bush supporters

wasn't one really aligned one away and the other really aligned the other way
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    blink 182 was uptempo 3 chord songs about girls with standard ramones drums

BUT IT WAS TOTALLY POSER MUSIC B-CUZ IT WAS POPULAR GAWD

Blink 182's video for Action stole heavily from the Wall and added teenagers fucking.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck

Fucking Limp Bizkit.

that late 90s era was when you saw MTV slipping really. They were pushing reality tv more and more and music less. Hell Carson Daly's show showed like 15 seconds of videos rather than the whole song.
    wandering wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Honestly, music is yet another venue for people to define themselves through the practice of consumption.
    to fight consumerism I will now only consume awful things like Jeff Foxworthy stand up, smooth jazz music, and Kraft mac and cheese

i will pirate the git er dun guy's shows and run them on loop as a webcast
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Whoo, i did 3 sets of 6 janky-ass push-ups and 3 sets of 25 second planks!

I'm getting slowly more swole.

why can't we go

Patriarchy
    vspgsp.jpg
    I dont think MTV was ever really "Good". They've always churned out shit for 12-18 year olds
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    kaleedity wrote: »
    The Ramones' political views really surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it wasn't really surprising that a bunch of angry urban-rednecks were huge reaganites and bush supporters

Johnny Ramone was ultra conservative, I haven't heard anything about Joey's personal views but
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Ugh, just had to go get a tick dug out of my leg. Fucker was in there tighter than a fish hook, they actually had to numb it and cut me, goddamnit.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

why can't we go

And now Choco's new nickname is stumpy.

this is preferable to 'thundervine'
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    The Ramones' political views really surprised me, but then I thought about it and I guess it wasn't really surprising that a bunch of angry urban-rednecks who hated europeans were huge reaganites and bush supporters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZg-wr-IfzM
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Ugh, just had to go get a tick dug out of my leg. Fucker was in there tighter than a fish hook, they actually had to numb it and cut me, goddamnit.

whaaaaat
    NO.
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I dont think MTV was ever really "Good". They've always churned out shit for 12-18 year olds

They're still really good at it! Although I suspect it's partially because it's really easy influencing the social norms of teenagers...
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    podly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9D6w1GzGY

i should have probably just bat signaled everyone.

@DasUberEdward I could watch this forever

I know man. It's the greatest laugh that has ever been performed on stage or screen.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.

it was only johnny.

joey ramone was a left-wing ny jew

the other members were probably mildly left wing in the same way that every white person from nyc who isn't a giant asshole with a chip on his shoulder is left wing.

staten island not included, obv
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »

whaaaaat

Like the head and the little mouth bits were half a centimeter deep, how the fuck does an insect 3 mm long manage that?!
    SammyF on
    kaleedity wrote: »

yes

Joey Ramone and Johnny Ramone

and they hated each other
    919UOwT.png
    Are you saying @Drez is a neo-nazi because that's what I'm saying
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

fun

one of my friends got lyme disease the other year

not fun
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

whaaaaat

Like the head and the little mouth bits where half a centimeter deep, how the fuck does an insect 3 mm long manage that?!
    never go outside again
    NO.

They're still really good at it! Although I suspect it's partially because it's really easy influencing the social norms of teenagers...

Kurt Loder is STILL doing MTV News...
    Jesus Christ.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    @ludious

http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/

Make your own Pacific Rim posters. An example of the fine work done with it already:
    GS3UERa.jpg
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

The were good at some things. Like back in the day MTV News was far more honest music reporting than most of the fanwanking stuff like Rolling Stone
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I would have thought the fact that today's teenagers parents thought MTV was 'cool' when THEY were teenagers would be the final nail in its coffin.

Then again, MTV has somehow managed to stay somewhat socially relevant about twenty years past when I would have figured they could stretch it out, so what do I know? I figured the Beavis and Butthead movie was their swan song.
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png
    I've gotten ticks on me before

I was used to pulling ticks off my dogs so it wasn't too bad I guess
    for some reason ticks really freak me out
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.