Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I dont think MTV was ever really "Good". They've always churned out shit for 12-18 year olds

They're still really good at it! Although I suspect it's partially because it's really easy influencing the social norms of teenagers...

Kurt Loder is STILL doing MTV News...
    Jesus Christ.

he looks like a lich

he should interview rik ocasek

it would look like a necromancer's convention
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @ludious

http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/

Make your own Pacific Rim posters. An example of the fine work done with it already:
    GS3UERa.jpg

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST BRB
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Ugh, just had to go get a tick dug out of my leg. Fucker was in there tighter than a fish hook, they actually had to numb it and cut me, goddamnit.

whaaaaat

Like the head and the little mouth bits were half a centimeter deep, how the fuck does an insect 3 mm long manage that?!

well uh

first off it isn't an insect

second off like this
    W0609b-2.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Ugh, just had to go get a tick dug out of my leg. Fucker was in there tighter than a fish hook, they actually had to numb it and cut me, goddamnit.

whaaaaat

Like the head and the little mouth bits were half a centimeter deep, how the fuck does an insect 3 mm long manage that?!

If I remember correctly, they actually use a type of glue to attach, then anesthetize the area so you don't feel the biting, then they get their fill of blood and drop off. They stay mostly external too. As parasites, ticks are ok, or at least they would be if they didn't also carry disease.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    theon1on is pretty good today
    ed: woops there's a near-nsfw ad; thanks obama
    kaleedity on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

whaaaaat

well uh

second off like this
    W0609b-2.jpg

I was waiting for this post.

Never change.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I grew up in the country at the height of the Lyme Disease panic. ticks were a big scare thing
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    oh yeah also fuck the misfits they are so bad

mother is hilarious though
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The cool kids use tumblr/vine/snapchat/social media! nowadays, the same way the cool kids back then probably traversed scenes at CBGB or wherever

I don't know if MTV was on the 'cutting edge' since I wasn't alive in their heyday but it seems like the same it always was in terms of being a 'mainstream alternative' for path-dependent people to follow and help guide their nascent identities
    Eddy on
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    I dont think MTV was ever really "Good". They've always churned out shit for 12-18 year olds

Video killed the Radio Star.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    so uh apparently you can stream the whole daft punk album for free now: http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=daftpunk i had to click it twice for it to work
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    like it's kind of hard to find many high spots in 90s music. people my age remember it fondly because we were young at the time, but it really hasn't held up very well.

pearl jam/ soundgarden/ alice in chains were so. fucking. tedious. and samey.

the 90s downtempo r&b was terrible (r kelly, sisco, usher, jodeci, etc)

the boy bands were terrible

rap got really ugly and terrible in the 90s.

"big country" was a thing and it was terrible.

decent bands from the 90s:
    1) smashing pumpkins before they got bloated and terrible
    2) radiohead
    3) oasis
    4) nirvana
    5) beck
    6) pixies, though i don't really count them as a 90s band. they were pretty much over by 91 or so. the breeders were okay tho.

I would add some caveats to this, and fuck you all for hating on Reel Big Fish. I can understand no one liking The MadCaddies, but RBF was pretty big by the time Oasis was a monster. At least as big as the Pixies.
    I'd also consider Nirvana an 80s band, since Kurt killed himself in 94

i only followed ska kind of casually - madness and desmond decker and like the english beat and the bosstones. i think i saw a skatellites show. but yeah the 90s were probably the high point for ska.

frankie liked ska a lot though.

the 90s were an okay time for pop-punk. like, green day and the offspring and nofx get shat on a lot because it's not REAL PUNK but it's fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously which is what punk is supposed to be.

Eh see that's where we differ a bit. I have no problem with the music they made, but that's not what punk was, originally. When I think punk I think Velvet Underground, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedies and Crass as the genre standards. Music with a message against a system. I didn't hate NOFX or Pennywise or anything (some of their stuff has even grown on me, and I'll listen it through when it pops up.)" but I just think their music was Pop ispired by Punk instead of actual Punk music.

Ska is a very convoluted conversation to get into, since there has been a lot of "Proto-ska" bands, but I really dig some of the punk ska combinations like Less than Jake and Citizen Fish. If you've never heard The Specials they're the grandsires of current ska, imho. Ghost Town is an awesome track, and Rudy.

the ramones, the descendents, the sex pistols and the clash (before they got too political) were exactly about diy music that was fun to see at a show and didn't take itself too seriously. these are probably the first actual punk bands if you're not, like, someone who insists on richard hell/ television/ etc

the next wave of punk - dk, suicidal tendencies, bad brains, etc, got really political and angry and angsty and whatever - they have their place - but it's not like this is the only legit punk music. i really don't care for this era of punk. IMO, the best thing that came out of punk in the 80s were the arty alt-rock post-punk like the talking heads and elvis costello and the pogues.

so then you have the 90s pop-punk stuff that is just kids making fun music and not taking themselves too seriously - just like the ramones and early clash - and suddenly they're considered not "real punk"?! it's ridiculous.

i'm not even sure i'd consider the velvet underground legit "punk" - though i like them a lot. they were an art-rock band bankrolled by andy warhol.

i do like the specials. really i think i like the early ska because it hadn't really settled into a distinct formula. one of my friends got super into ska in the 90s - he'd wear clothes with checkerboards on them and blast ska in his car all day every day - and it all kind of ran together to me.

God, I knew so many huge ska fans in college.

I have a lingering love of rock with brass, but yeah, a lot of the ska stuff winds up sounding the same before long. I enjoy dropping one ska song into a playlist at times, but I don't think I'd ever listen to a full album of the stuff.

And yes, the Specials are an exception in their own category.

If in need for good ska, listen to:
    Citizen Fish
    http://youtu.be/n9e6GTGzOiY

Less Than Jake:
    http://youtu.be/3aXE_lY6mUI

Reel Big Fish:
    http://youtu.be/p4wW9PjDf1s

and my name sake:
    http://youtu.be/yS5JLI7BF-Q

Thanks @syndalis ! Couldn't be somewhat without your help. :)
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    Damn you all. Now instead of the nice ambient / trance I usually put on the background. I'm listening the a strange mix of songs I don't usually listen too. And its awesome and now I'm getting no work done.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

whaaaaat

If I remember correctly, they actually use a type of glue to attach, then anesthetize the area so you don't feel the biting, then they get their fill of blood and drop off. They stay mostly external too. As parasites, ticks are ok, or at least they would be if they didn't also carry disease.

Fuck that shit.

When I was down in Tennessee, those fuckers were crawling everywhere. It was like miniature headcrabs or something seeking flesh.

I don't have a problem with spiders, but a spider that's going to burrow itself into my skin? FUCK THAT.
    steam_sig.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Now you all can thank me for enlightening you to your new favorite musics.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    so uh apparently you can stream the whole daft punk album for free now: http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=daftpunk i had to click it twice for it to work

Damn my work computer for not having iTunes.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

what

you shut your mouth the misfits are great
    919UOwT.png
    Now you all can thank me for enlightening you to your new favorite musics.

LCD Soundsystem or I feed
  • tapeslingertapeslinger utter Yog-Sothothery mmm, soulsRegistered User regular

why you so feisty today, will
    Hey! You! Go bid on awesome things! http://solidsaints.com
    jayxwolf.com || twit || fb || writing || ravelry || dA || g++
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Oh this is bullshit. My wife is doing a conference in Austin, but it's from Sunday to Tuesday...
    There isn't a good night drinking day in that trip at all.
    boooooo
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Wait, Arch, if ticks aren't insects, what are they?
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

whaaaaat

well uh

second off like this
    W0609b-2.jpg

Never change.

But you know maybe work on your timing, I literally had a nice young lady digging a hole in my ankle for ten minutes. :p
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    There hasn't been a single bad decade for music since the advent of radio*.

Anybody who says "X0s music sucked!" is just being silly.

* except for the 1990s
    Irond Will on
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

what

you shut your mouth the misfits Danzig are great

• kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    remember when the bedbug stories were in the news about a year ago?

Yeah, I was pretty much living in hotels for work.

I didn't sleep a few nights because I could stop thinking about them.

Never had them, at least.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    I grew up in the country at the height of the Lyme Disease panic. ticks were a big scare thing

I grew up in northwest CT and actually got lyme disease. (#oneupsmanship) These days it's no big deal. You spot the bite or the symptoms, you take doxycycline for a while, you're all set. It was only a big problem when doctors had no idea what the fuck was going on and let it run unchecked for years, at which point there was permanent neurological damage.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Honestly, music is yet another venue for people to define themselves through the practice of consumption.
    to fight consumerism I will now only consume awful things like Jeff Foxworthy stand up, smooth jazz music, and Kraft mac and cheese

i will pirate the git er dun guy's shows and run them on loop as a webcast

Larry the Cable guy has about 95% of his audience fooled into thinking that's what he's really like.

Dude is brilliant and an excellent showman.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    edited May 2013
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Damn you all. Now instead of the nice ambient / trance I usually put on the background. I'm listening the a strange mix of songs I don't usually listen too. And its awesome and now I'm getting no work done.

Finally, as I'm graduating college, I'm finding out that I can't do any work whatsoever if I'm not listening to classical or synth-strumental music
    Eddy on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Oh this is bullshit. My wife is doing a conference in Austin, but it's from Sunday to Tuesday...
    There isn't a good night drinking day in that trip at all.
    boooooo

when is it again

maybe I will take a day off
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I will always love Less Than Jake, but they are kind of samey between songs.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    All music, ever, sucked. all music sucks forever. Cut your hair and get a job, hippies.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    remember when the bedbug stories were in the news about a year ago?

Yeah, I was pretty much living in hotels for work.

I didn't sleep a few nights because I could stop thinking about them.

Never had them, at least.

They were ravaging NY for a time.
    I blame Air-BnB
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular

fun

one of my friends got lyme disease the other year

not fun

Fuck lyme disease!

I got that shit.

NEVER THE SAME.
    archer2.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I will always love Less Than Jake, but they are kind of samey between songs.

They're okay, but they're not quite as good as Jake.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Wait, Arch, if ticks aren't insects, what are they?

8 legs so arachnids. Insects have 6 legs.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Honestly, music is yet another venue for people to define themselves through the practice of consumption.
    to fight consumerism I will now only consume awful things like Jeff Foxworthy stand up, smooth jazz music, and Kraft mac and cheese

i will pirate the git er dun guy's shows and run them on loop as a webcast

Larry the Cable guy has about 95% of his audience fooled into thinking that's what he's really like.

Dude is brilliant and an excellent showman.
    Convincing idiots doesn't require excellent showmanship. These are the same people who probably think Colbert isn't joking.
    Eddy wrote: »

They're still really good at it! Although I suspect it's partially because it's really easy influencing the social norms of teenagers...

Kurt Loder is STILL doing MTV News...
    Jesus Christ.

Holy shit! That dude is still rocking the news?
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

whaaaaat

well uh

second off like this
    W0609b-2.jpg

Never change.

But you know maybe work on your timing, I literally had a nice young lady digging a hole in my ankle for ten minutes. :p

:winky:
    Lh96QHG.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    This country is in the shitter thanks to AirBnB
This discussion has been closed.